g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Joao Felix | Signed for Atlético Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaglish10

Yes, and he isn't a striker contrary to what some posters would have you believe in this thread.

For me he is the most exciting #10 I have seen in some years, he potentially has it all on his locker.
He's a SS, not a no 10. Also, he's capable of leading the attack on his own. He did that for Benfica against Frankfurt in the 1st leg and got a hattrick and an assist. It was one of his best games. I don't know why the coach moved him to the wing in the second leg match. I guess he didn't have the player to deploy on the wing..

He's got the movement, positioning and instinct of a striker but that's not all to his game. His vision, intelligence and techniques makes him an all rounder.

ImHoeg

Actually seems like a player who can just calmly put the ball in the back of the net for at change. Would love to see us sign this lad.

Last edited by a moderator:

ash_86

Looks like a brilliant player at such a young age. Always looks at the movement, technique , skill and finishing than the actual goal stats itself and he seems to have everything to become one of the best players. 100m might look like a bargain.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not an expert on him, just Youtube and reading up, but my strong suspicion reading this thread is that he’s amongst the most overhyped players I’ve ever seen.

The assertions that are being cast, so definitively, are ridiculous in contrast to what he has done so far. I’m totally sold on Sancho though.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Looks like a somehow even more lightweight version of Januzaj on YouTube. Still, you would think if we were to spunk such silly money on him we’d have thoroughly scouted him.

Sterling Archer

Actually seems like a player who can just calmly put the ball in the back of the net for at change. Would love to see us sign this lad.
Not just calmly, he can hit them well too.

I'm actually very excited for this kid. I hope we win his signature. In many ways he makes me think of what Lingard would bring to the team if he were better at everything, the running included.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Either we'll sign him and he'll suck or someone else will and he'll be great.

jesperjaap

Not an expert on him, just Youtube and reading up, but my strong suspicion reading this thread is that he’s amongst the most overhyped players I’ve ever seen.

The assertions that are being cast, so definitively, are ridiculous in contrast to what he has done so far. I’m totally sold on Sancho though.
Think if anything that opinion is more accurate with the centre back for them we have been linked with a few times, who does look like another average centre back to me or of perhaps more relevance I would say Marcus Rashford. Rashford to me is like Wengers last Arsenal sides, just when you decide they are awful they play well for a while and just when you start believing they are decent they go pants again.
Felix is still very young and will take a season or two to see just how good he is, but my first thoughts of Rashford were exciting, lots of tricks, good mentality but not that special thing, or even great technique or intelligence. Think the opposite from what I have seen of Felix, poise, always looks like he has time on the ball, excellent touch, quick football brain, think he has everything to be a star ability wise

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think if anything that opinion is more accurate with the centre back for them we have been linked with a few times, who does look like another average centre back to me or of perhaps more relevance I would say Marcus Rashford. Rashford to me is like Wengers last Arsenal sides, just when you decide they are awful they play well for a while and just when you start believing they are decent they go pants again.
Felix is still very young and will take a season or two to see just how good he is, but my first thoughts of Rashford were exciting, lots of tricks, good mentality but not that special thing, or even great technique or intelligence. Think the opposite from what I have seen of Felix, poise, always looks like he has time on the ball, excellent touch, quick football brain, think he has everything to be a star ability wise
I’m sure he’s talented. But I look at what the likes of Mbappé, Rooney and De Ligt have had to do to be called ‘generational talents’ and think that I compare that to the Felix hype, which at this point is totally unwarranted for me. People are saying ‘next Messi/Ronaldo’, and history teaches us that many many have Mad the same sort of ripple as Felix is now.

Mainoldo

Best young talent in world football. £100m in a Martial type deal. Get it done.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I’m sure he’s talented. But I look at what the likes of Mbappé, Rooney and De Ligt have had to do to be called ‘generational talents’ and think that I compare that to the Felix hype, which at this point is totally unwarranted for me. People are saying ‘next Messi/Ronaldo’, and history teaches us that many many have Mad the same sort of ripple as Felix is now.
That's just excitement with hyperbole. Right now, only Mbappe deserves to be considered a generational talent, because he's done it on multiple stages/teams and keeps upping his output season after season. Joao Felix could be a big hit or a big bust, same with Sancho, same with any other hyped up young player right now, but nowadays you have to take a big risk because all these super talented youngsters are now going for outrageous fees and if you miss out on that first major sale, good luck ever getting them to your team because the only teams who can afford those types of talents won't let them go if they pan out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's just excitement with hyperbole. Right now, only Mbappe deserves to be considered a generational talent, because he's done it on multiple stages/teams and keeps upping his output season after season. Joao Felix could be a big hit or a big bust, same with Sancho, same with any other hyped up young player right now, but nowadays you have to take a big risk because all these super talented youngsters are now going for outrageous fees and if you miss out on that first major sale, good luck ever getting them to your team because the only teams who can afford those types of talents won't let them go if they pan out.
There needs to be some method to it. If we went around signing every hyped teenager from Portugal and similar leagues for 9 figures simply due to FOMO, it would be an unwise strategy. A player like Mbappé and De Ligt are different levels.

I suspect that no club will pay over £100m for Felix this summer. Except us maybe!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There needs to be some method to it. If we went around signing every hyped teenager from Portugal and similar leagues for 9 figures simply due to FOMO, it would be an unwise strategy. A player like Mbappé and De Ligt are different levels.

I suspect that no club will pay over £100m for Felix this summer. Except us maybe!
I suspect he'll go for around £50 to £60m personally. Paying a £100m for him straight from the Portuguese league is very risky.

jesperjaap

Oh right ok, that is hyperbole, I hate "the next" kind of comments anyway. I think he has a lot of ability but its been one season, Deligt for example is only being talked about in those terms now after about three seasons. The supposed price for him is sky high, but hardly the only player like that at the moment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Felix looks good but I agree with you + I'm not completely sold on his talent the way I am with Sancho. For me, the latter looks proper proper elite.

Would have to see much more of Felix. Whe he does look very impressive, from the clips I've seen, can't see he looks as brilliant as Sancho.

Zed 101

I hardly know anything about Felix but the prices quoted frightens me somewhat, would be ok if initial price was lower but had increments for success but I have to think I would rather spend less of something which would be a bit more of a sure thing. I know if he turns out to be up there with the best it will seem cheap in hindsight, but I have got to be thinking why are Real, Barca and Citeh not sniffing around him more if he is going to be all that.

EDIT: just watched a couple of YT vids on him, and not blown away TBH, considering how good YT makes players look, (Rashford's make him look ballon d'or, not knocking Rashy just he ain't ballon d'or (yet)). However I thought he was a striker, but he is listed as midfielder, if he is midfielder then I am more inclined to be in the pro camp.

Last edited:

DSG

I hardly know anything about Felix but the prices quoted frightens me somewhat, would be ok if initial price was lower but had increments for success but I have to think I would rather spend less of something which would be a bit more of a sure thing. I know if he turns out to be up there with the best it will seem cheap in hindsight, but I have got to be thinking why are Real, Barca and Citeh not sniffing around him more if he is going to be all that.

EDIT: just watched a couple of YT vids on him, and not blown away TBH, considering how good YT makes players look, (Rashford's make him look ballon d'or, not knocking Rashy just he ain't ballon d'or (yet)). However I thought he was a striker, but he is listed as midfielder, if he is midfielder then I am more inclined to be in the pro camp.
He's a SS, not a no 10. Also, he's capable of leading the attack on his own. He did that for Benfica against Frankfurt in the 1st leg and got a hattrick and an assist. It was one of his best games. I don't know why the coach moved him to the wing in the second leg match. I guess he didn't have the player to deploy on the wing..

He's got the movement, positioning and instinct of a striker but that's not all to his game. His vision, intelligence and techniques makes him an all rounder.
A SS is typically considered a 10 IMHO. He continues to be called the next Ronaldo, but he’s nothing like Ronaldo, doesn’t even occupy the same areas on the pitch. He’s not a midfielder either. He reminds me of Kaka in his movement, passing and absolute dead calm on the ball.

If he did turn out to be Kaka 2.0, I’d gladly pay 100m for him now. Keep him for 5-7 years, then sell him to Real for 350m...

Judas

Open to offers
Martial just signed a 5 year extension.... He isn't gonna leave. However, with James coming in.... I can see Martial upping his game.
Martial is more likely to become a stroppy teenager again like he seemingly did when Sanchez was signed. Not sure the lad has the interest in fighting for a position.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Martial is more likely to become a stroppy teenager again like he seemingly did when Sanchez was signed. Not sure the lad has the interest in fighting for a position.
You and I remember the Sanchez saga very differently. Martial always tends to do better with competition for his spot. Same with Rashford. These players aren’t ready to be guaranteed starters and need other players to challenge them. Sanchez got a starting spot over an in-form Martial just because of his name and kept it for longer than he should have. Once Martial got his chance, he and Pogba were ironically United’s two best players until Mourinho got the sack.

Owen06

B
A SS is typically considered a 10 IMHO. He continues to be called the next Ronaldo, but he’s nothing like Ronaldo, doesn’t even occupy the same areas on the pitch. He’s not a midfielder either. He reminds me of Kaka in his movement, passing and absolute dead calm on the ball.

If he did turn out to be Kaka 2.0, I’d gladly pay 100m for him now. Keep him for 5-7 years, then sell him to Real for 350m...
Why do you think madrid will pay that much for kaka 2.0? Dybala is Messi 2.0 and they are not breaking the bank for him.

beingshe7don

Well in that case, he'll be offloaded then. I don't see Ole giving him too many chances.

Le Red

Or maybe not sell. Maybe not every player jizzes himself upon the sight of a white shirt. Hopefully this frenzy that you only had a successfull career if you played for Barça or Real is over.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The prices for him are crazy and I'm not really too big on this one... how many youngsters have flopped moving from bigger leagues than the Portuguese league? Felix is ridiculously overhyped. Hes talented no doubt, but spending 100m to have him as our new striker only to push Rashford wide when our bigger problems are RB, RW, CB and CM would just be dumb IMO. Hes got a long way to go before justifying spending that on a position where a 20 year old with potential is not something we need, when we have Martial at 23, Rashford at 21 and Greenwood at 17.

Also the most elite u21 players in the world are Mbappe, De Ligt and Sancho. Felix has a lot to do before he can be mentioned with any of those.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Or maybe not sell. Maybe not every player jizzes himself upon the sight of a white shirt. Hopefully this frenzy that you only had a successfull career if you played for Barça or Real is over.
That's not going to happen, those 2 are the 2 elite clubs with the most pull over the years for most footballers, but pretty much exclusively for any spanish/Portuguese speaking footballers.

The peak for British footballers is obviously United with Liverpool 2nd, and German is Bayern. I'm not sure what Italians would say is the peak these days, plenty of their players move around, same with French footballers, but overall, if they aren't British or German, you can usually be sure that the peak level for those footballers is Barca or Real Madrid.

Marzo

This man is into Crypto!

Le Red

That's not going to happen, those 2 are the 2 elite clubs with the most pull over the years for most footballers, but pretty much exclusively for any spanish/Portuguese speaking footballers.

The peak for British footballers is obviously United with Liverpool 2nd, and German is Bayern. I'm not sure what Italians would say is the peak these days, plenty of their players move around, same with French footballers, but overall, if they aren't British or German, you can usually be sure that the peak level for those footballers is Barca or Real Madrid.
It is true that South American and Portuguese players have a preference for the Spanish clubs, but not too long ago, if somebody played for the top English or Italian clubs, they know they'd be at the top of the world. The likes of Man. United or Milan were not seen as stepping stones with Barça and Real as the only acceptable final destinations.
The success of the golden generation of Barcelona and the multiple UCL titles for Real Madrid created a notion between younger players that these clubs are the indisputable best and most glamourous clubs. That is bs. Take away RM's crazy results during the 50's and pre-Messi Barcelona and you see that, in a historical context, they are not as fearsome as they try to convey.
In fact, it only took Ronaldo's exit for Real Madrid to look a mockery of what they were until now. I fully expect the same to happen to Barcelona when Messi declines.
The two clubs have been overperforming for a decade compared to most of their history, in large part due to two singularities named Messi and Cristiano.
They are not the best teams in the world right now and they don't pay the highest salaries, hence my belief that talent is going to be spread among top clubs more evenly from now on.
Not only we had a generation with arguably less world class players than in the 90s and 00s, but some of the biggest talents were happy to play second fiddle at Spain rather than being protagonists in other clubs.
It is in the best interest of football that this changes, and hopefully it will.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we're going to do this, we need to sort it before Sane is off to Bayern.

Again, hope Dembele is a smokescreen.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'd be almost tempted to say I'd pay his release clause and i generally hate paying huge money for players. I just think there's a big upside with him and it looks nailed on that he'll be a very good player at least. I can only see his value going up.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
The Benfica propaganda machine has gone international. Either that or I'm going insane.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It is true that South American and Portuguese players have a preference for the Spanish clubs, but not too long ago, if somebody played for the top English or Italian clubs, they know they'd be at the top of the world. The likes of Man. United or Milan were not seen as stepping stones with Barça and Real as the only acceptable final destinations.
The success of the golden generation of Barcelona and the multiple UCL titles for Real Madrid created a notion between younger players that these clubs are the indisputable best and most glamourous clubs. That is bs. Take away RM's crazy results during the 60's and pre-Messi Barcelona and you see that, in a historical context, they are not as fearsome as they try to convey.
In fact, it only took Ronaldo's exit for Real Madrid to look a mockery of what they were until now. I fully expect the same to happen to Barcelona when Messi declines.
The two clubs have been overperforming for a decade compared to most of their history, in large part due to two singularities named Messi and Cristiano.
They are not the best teams in the world right now and they don't pay the highest salaries, hence my belief that talent is going to be spread among top clubs more evenly from now on.
Not only we had a generation with arguably less world class players than in the 90s and 00s, but some of the biggest talents were happy to play second fiddle at Spain rather than being protagonists in other clubs.
It is in the best interest of football that this changes, and hopefully it will.
Fair enough on Barcelona (who still had a huge draw for most South Americans prior to the Messi era), but do you know anything about Real Madrid's history? To try and reduce it to Cristiano made them overperform compared to their history is ridiculous and shows a seriously limited knowledge of the club, especially with the paltry return on La Liga in his era. Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world as far as achievements in football.

Also, you take away generational player like CR7 or Messi from a club, you're gonna have a period of transition....it's been one year removed from winning a CL FFS.

Oh, and you don't get to say 'take away a decade here and there and these clubs look average', otherwise you can do that to United and all of the sudden it becomes a much smaller club as well. It's just a really strange argument, even for a forum.

Le Red

Fair enough on Barcelona (who still had a huge draw for most South Americans prior to the Messi era), but do you know anything about Real Madrid's history? To try and reduce it to Cristiano made them overperform compared to their history is ridiculous and shows a seriously limited knowledge of the club, especially with the paltry return on La Liga in his era. Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world as far as achievements in football.

Also, you take away generational player like CR7 or Messi from a club, you're gonna have a period of transition....it's been one year removed from winning a CL FFS.

Oh, and you don't get to say 'take away a decade here and there and these clubs look average', otherwise you can do that to United and all of the sudden it becomes a much smaller club as well. It's just a really strange argument, even for a forum.
My biggest mistake when referring to RM's history was when I mentioned the 60s. It should have been 50s instead and I corrected it. I'm very well aware of their history and they are indeed the most successful club ever. But they also won most of their European titles in two eras, I think it's fair to name them the Di Stefano era and the Ronaldo era. Add the "Galactico" era and you have 12 of the 13 EC/UCL titles in periods that put together sum only 15 years, divided in periods of five years each (1956-1960; 1998-2002; 2014-2018).
Outside of this highly successful stints, they had a period of 37 years where they won it only once, and the most recent drought of 11 years between 2003 and 2013.
Point being, even Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world, is subject to circunstance. And yes, even for Real Madrid standards, 4 European titles in 5 years is overperforming, specially when it's so clear that without one player in particular they might not have won a single one of those.
Now, don't get me wrong. I never said Real or Barça are bound to become "average". Nor have I said Real won't rebound from the hardships of their post-Ronaldo transitional season. What I'm implying is, both clubs won't have the edge that they had over other top clubs in Europe in the last ten years. They will remain great clubs on their own right and might win the UCL in a near future, but that edge will be removed. So, forget past results for a moment, do you have anything to suggest that in the next ten or twenty years the Spanish giants will have the same level of success as they did in the last ten or twenty? I think not.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
My biggest mistake when referring to RM's history was when I mentioned the 60s. It should have been 50s instead and I corrected it. I'm very well aware of their history and they are indeed the most successful club ever. But they also won most of their European titles in two eras, I think it's fair to name them the Di Stefano era and the Ronaldo era. Add the "Galactico" era and you have 12 of the 13 EC/UCL titles in periods that put together sum only 15 years, divided in periods of five years each (1956-1960; 1998-2002; 2014-2018).
Outside of this highly successful stints, they had a period of 37 years where they won it only once, and the most recent drought of 11 years between 2003 and 2013.
Point being, even Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world, is subject to circunstance. And yes, even for Real Madrid standards, 4 European titles in 5 years is overperforming, specially when it's so clear that without one player in particular they might not have won a single one of those.
Now, don't get me wrong. I never said Real or Barça are bound to become "average". Nor have I said Real won't rebound from the hardships of their post-Ronaldo transitional season. What I'm implying is, both clubs won't have the edge that they had over other top clubs in Europe in the last ten years. They will remain great clubs on their own right and might win the UCL in a near future, but that edge will be removed. So, forget past results for a moment, do you have anything to suggest that in the next ten or twenty years the Spanish giants will have the same level of success as they did in the last ten or twenty? I think not.
Ah well, of course....every club is subject to circumstances. But where I disagree with you is on your assumption that their dip in form is going to lower the prestige those clubs have on South Americans. I think they are always going to be the two clubs with the most draw for not just South American players, but many players of European countries as well. Every top player in the world seems to have either a dream of playing for Barcelona or Real Madrid, and even without CR7 it is not changing for Real Madrid.

Barcelona has also always been a draw for players as well, even before Messi or R10, and they now have far more money than they used to so they can at least compete financially with Real Madrid which they couldn't always do in the past. Things can always change, Serie A is not the draw it once was for many players of the world, but I have a hard time seeing Real Madrid or Barcelona losing their status or prestige in the eyes of up-coming players in football, not just in South America. I still very much believe they have an edge on every other club in enticing players to come play for them.

TJSF

Supports
Benfica
He is overrated as feck, and is big mistake for any club to buy him. For a complete footballer, who has performed at the highest level, Bruno Fernandes is the only player in Portugal worth the risk of spending big.

Status
Not open for further replies.