Joey Barton | Does a Schteve

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Disgusting from him. Really no need for that at all.
He said something similar to Gary Lineker a few months ago, it was something like:
Pipe down big ears, I know stuff about you, don't think you'd want the world to know would you?
I don't see why he can't just call him a twat and other playground insults, it constantly seems to be trying to belittle and shame other people. A true pacifist.

Oggmonster

He's trying his hardest to stay relevant whilst he is out the country and the only way I imagine he thinks he can do it is by Twitter. No club or manager probably has that much interest in him so he can't get known that way. All his talking to Piers Morgan on twitter as well I fully expect him to be on his show in a few years as a "redeemed character" of some sort after fecking up yet again.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Hamann comes across as a bit of a prick here too.

What did Barton say about his old clubs to merit Hamann being a dick? I don't see anything.

Obviously Barton went too far but what do you expect from someone with serious anger issues.

kietotheworld

Starting an exchange by saying someone shouldn't think they're bigger than they are is always going to lead to trouble, especially when you're on record having a go at someone in the past. Hamann was looking for a reaction and he got one, the only one who looks like he's trying to stay relevant here is Hamann by having a go at a notoriously volatile high profile individual.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
His tweets about people on the dole the other night were disgusting. Vile human.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Starting an exchange by saying someone shouldn't think they're bigger than they are is always going to lead to trouble, especially when you're on record having a go at someone in the past. Hamann was looking for a reaction and he got one, the only one who looks like he's trying to stay relevant here is Hamann by having a go at a notoriously volatile high profile individual.
Hamann was defending his own former club. He was suggesting Barton should show respect to a club which paid him very well.

kietotheworld

Hamann was defending his own former club. He was suggesting Barton should show respect to a club which paid him very well.
Defending his own former club from what? The tweet is hardly offensive

Just heard from a magician that Loic Remy has signed for QPR. Not sure what happened at Newcastle probably Llambas again!
Unless I'm missing something here he criticises one employee of the club Hamann played 30 games for in the late 90s, and employee he presumably has experience of working with, while Hamann does not. If I say David Gill is probably responsible for a deal going wrong and someone else says he's a good chief exec they're hardly defending United and if I work for a company and say one of the current bosses isn't very good at his job I don't see why it's any business of someone else who worked for the company 13 years ago.

Painting Hamann as some sort of white knight figure defending an institution is wrong, he seized on an innocuous tweet and used it to have a go at a popular hate figure, probably to raise his profile. Barton reacted in exactly the same way one would expect him to.

Rowem

gently, down the stream

Unless I'm missing something here he criticises one employee of the club Hamann played 30 games for in the late 90s, and employee he presumably has experience of working with, while Hamann does not. If I say David Gill is probably responsible for a deal going wrong and someone else says he's a good chief exec they're hardly defending United and if I work for a company and say one of the current bosses isn't very good at his job I don't see why it's any business of someone else who worked for the company 13 years ago.

Painting Hamann as some sort of white knight figure defending an institution is wrong, he seized on an innocuous tweet and used it to have a go at a popular hate figure, probably to raise his profile. Barton reacted in exactly the same way one would expect him to.
Have to agree with you on this one

Phil

Never thought I would, but same. Minus the slightly Rawk like use of language..

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Telegraph:

Barton and Hamann, of course, played together in the Manchester City midfield for a season. They parted ways in the summer of 2007, since which time one has become a washed-up, semi-retired has-been whose considerable footballing talent is now a fading memory and who lives his life vicariously through Twitter in an attempt to recapture the renown he once enjoyed, and the other has remained Dietmar Hamann.

There is much to love about this exchange. Hamann’s description of Barton as “England international” is a marginally more subtle jibe than “maggot”, “washed-up cokehead” or “Tourette’s-face”, to name just three of Barton’s choicer efforts.

In order to cover our backs, we should probably point out that there is absolutely no evidence that Hamann has ever taken drugs, and very little evidence that Barton ever played for England.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds

Well said.

Hamann is a dickhead.

Oggmonster

Hamann seemingly took issue with the fact that Barton seems to slate the same people who paid his wages whilst being in prison and continued to do despite the fact he continued to be an absolute bellend. Barton is hardly in a posistion to slate people at Newcastle in my opinion for the fact they stuck by him after all he did.

HE seems desperate to burn his bridges with anyone and anything to put himself up there as some kind of voice of the people when in actual fact he's just a tit. He can't help himself. If he's above all this then just ignore the tweets instead he reacts every time. Maybe Hamann was looking for a reaction but if Barton has turned over a new leaf then don't react, it's not hard.

kietotheworld

Hamann seemingly took issue with the fact that Barton seems to slate the same people who paid his wages whilst being in prison and continued to do despite the fact he continued to be an absolute bellend. Barton is hardly in a posistion to slate people at Newcastle in my opinion for the fact they stuck by him after all he did.

HE seems desperate to burn his bridges with anyone and anything to put himself up there as some kind of voice of the people when in actual fact he's just a tit. He can't help himself. If he's above all this then just ignore the tweets instead he reacts every time. Maybe Hamann was looking for a reaction but if Barton has turned over a new leaf then don't react, it's not hard.
People? He made a somewhat tongue in cheek comment about one of his former fellow employees at Newcastle. To be honest the fact they stuck by him while he was being a bell end proves he has point, if they were paying him when he was in prison (which I seriously doubt) then even more so. A chief executive who continues to let his club pay a player when he's in jail is thoroughly incompetent, Newcastle should sack him because he's robbing a living then thank Barton for pointing it out. The comment didn't warrant the reaction from Hamann in the first place regardless.

As for burning his bridges and putting himself up there as a voice of the people, I think you're over-analysing. He tweets his opinions on various matters, much like anyone else on twitter, much like the people on this forum do. You have over 700 posts on this forum, are you doing it because you want to put yourself up there as a voice of the people or are you doing it because you're bored and want a platform to get things off your chest about various subjects? I reckon Barton's the same as most people on this forum, he's just a lot more high profile. It seems bizarre that he's being held to higher standards than normal people.

It's often hard to avoid reacting to people making critical or demeaning comments about you, especially if they're unfair ones. If I had a go at anyone on here in the manner Hamann did I'd expect a reaction. It might be a good idea to ignore the tweets, but "turning over a new leaf" isn't nearly as simple as flipping a switch like the phrase suggests, changing as a person is a long, difficult process and it doesn't help when twats try to make a name for themselves by having a go over nothing.

Oggmonster

People? He made a somewhat tongue in cheek comment about one of his former fellow employees at Newcastle. To be honest the fact they stuck by him while he was being a bell end proves he has point, if they were paying him when he was in prison (which I seriously doubt) then even more so. A chief executive who continues to let his club pay a player when he's in jail is thoroughly incompetent, Newcastle should sack him because he's robbing a living then thank Barton for pointing it out. The comment didn't warrant the reaction from Hamann in the first place regardless.

As for burning his bridges and putting himself up there as a voice of the people, I think you're over-analysing. He tweets his opinions on various matters, much like anyone else on twitter, much like the people on this forum do. You have over 700 posts on this forum, are you doing it because you want to put yourself up there as a voice of the people or are you doing it because you're bored and want a platform to get things off your chest about various subjects? I reckon Barton's the same as most people on this forum, he's just a lot more high profile. It seems bizarre that he's being held to higher standards than normal people.

It's often hard to avoid reacting to people making critical or demeaning comments about you, especially if they're unfair ones. If I had a go at anyone on here in the manner Hamann did I'd expect a reaction. It might be a good idea to ignore the tweets, but "turning over a new leaf" isn't nearly as simple as flipping a switch like the phrase suggests, changing as a person is a long, difficult process and it doesn't help when twats try to make a name for themselves by having a go over nothing.
I assume you're not talking about Hamann trying to make a name for himself? He's hardly had an unsuccessful career and is held in very high regard at Liverpool and Bayern Munich, Barton basically is remembered for the wrong reasons at most if not all his clubs. I'm not passing him up as some kind of hero but Barton did go to far here. He could of reacted once or twice and it's fair enough but he got personal and there really was no need for it if he's such a "changed character" why not take the high ground and reply sensibly? He did the same to Gary Lineker, they're hardly hugely controversial figures, unfortunately as a footballer Barton is going to be judged by people and he has to take that really, he can respond and he can criticize others, Twitter is a public forum but then he goes on to make out he's better than these people when he really isn't. Maybe you can't ignore it you're right it is hard but surely you agree he can not react so personally?

You're right about Newcastle if they did pay his wages when in prison then that's just bizarre and he should be sacked, but at the same time Barton isn't Tweeting saying anything like that and I'd imagine if they didn't pay his wages he'd make out he was a victim of that as well, it's just what he does, not with just this Hamann stuff but with anything he tweets. I'm all for reformed characters and you get plenty of them, I'm highly dubious if Barton is one though. I think he's just got a very good PR team who are trying to help him reform his image and he's doing himself no favours.

I don't really agree with your point about comparing me (or this forum) to Barton and Twitter. Twitter is a place where you can air opinions and I think it's a good idea if used right but stuff like what Barton does is surely counter productive. Barton is as welcome as the next guy to use Twitter and reply to people but all this intellectual bullshit he passes off is tiresome now and I really do think he has another motive to it all.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
fecking twat, probably cost us the title last year.

There was a time when everything he did was analyzed and he was persecuted by fans and media in general. I felt sorry for him then, but not now.

kietotheworld

I assume you're not talking about Hamann trying to make a name for himself? He's hardly had an unsuccessful career and is held in very high regard at Liverpool and Bayern Munich, Barton basically is remembered for the wrong reasons at most if not all his clubs. I'm not passing him up as some kind of hero but Barton did go to far here. He could of reacted once or twice and it's fair enough but he got personal and there really was no need for it if he's such a "changed character" why not take the high ground and reply sensibly? He did the same to Gary Lineker, they're hardly hugely controversial figures, unfortunately as a footballer Barton is going to be judged by people and he has to take that really, he can respond and he can criticize others, Twitter is a public forum but then he goes on to make out he's better than these people when he really isn't. Maybe you can't ignore it you're right it is hard but surely you agree he can not react so personally?

You're right about Newcastle if they did pay his wages when in prison then that's just bizarre and he should be sacked, but at the same time Barton isn't Tweeting saying anything like that and I'd imagine if they didn't pay his wages he'd make out he was a victim of that as well, it's just what he does, not with just this Hamann stuff but with anything he tweets. I'm all for reformed characters and you get plenty of them, I'm highly dubious if Barton is one though. I think he's just got a very good PR team who are trying to help him reform his image and he's doing himself no favours.

I don't really agree with your point about comparing me (or this forum) to Barton and Twitter. Twitter is a place where you can air opinions and I think it's a good idea if used right but stuff like what Barton does is surely counter productive. Barton is as welcome as the next guy to use Twitter and reply to people but all this intellectual bullshit he passes off is tiresome now and I really do think he has another motive to it all.
No, I do mean Hamann is trying to make a name for himself. Barton makes the point that Hamann doesn't have any money left and is looking for a job as a manager or a pundit, getting himself trending worldwide on Twitter, regardless of the reason, is a good way for him to remind TV executives and managers or chairmen looking for a coach that he still exists.

Maybe Barton isn't a changed character, I don't remember him saying he was. Barton and Lineker aren't particularly controversial characters, I imagine that's what makes it more frustrating, and makes it more likely to get a reaction. If someone's normally a very friendly guy, he's very popular, seen as almost whiter than white and he has a load of fans who will back him up then he has a go at you personally that must be infuriating.

I've had a look into it and Barton says he wasn't paid when he was in jail, nor did he want to be. He did complain about Newcastle trying to force him to sign a new contract at 20% of his original wages while he was in prison, but I think that's fair enough. If they don't want to keep him they should sack him, expecting him to continue his commitment to the club at extremely low wages for the quality of footballer he is is ridiculous. He's been pretty explicit in the past that he wants Newcastle to do well, but he dislikes some of the executives there, with this in mind I think it's even more unfair to say Hamann is defending the club. It's like saying the United fans who are against the Glazers are against the football club.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/n...n-to-dump-him-while-in-prison-61634-29866982/

It might be counter-productive, but that's up to him really. If you don't like him or his intellectual bullshit don't follow him, I find him a pretty entertaining character. If there's any PR motive it's to have somewhere to output his feelings without having to put it through the meet grinder of a fairly hostile media. In no way whatsoever does he strike me as being the sort of person who would try to start a PR campaign to deceive people over his character. The two foremost characteristics about Barton in my eyes are No. 1 that he doesn't give a feck if people hate him and No. 2 that he's far too honest and uncontrolled with his words and his actions.

kietotheworld

But Mum.....He started it.....FFS :lol::lol::lol:

Doesnt matter who started it, Barton went too far as always.......one day he is going to meet a bigger cnut than he is and I hope Im around to see it.
Sure, but that's because he's a very highly strung man, I wouldn't argue with that, the charge of him being an attention seeker, at least in this context, is unfair though.

Brophs

The One and Only
:lol:

Just issued a four hundred tweet, legal apology to Hamann.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
That took longer than expected
It did, since the first booking didn't deserve a yellow card in the first place. 5 minutes after, a Nancy player committed a two-footed challenge and didn't get so much as a warning. Mind you, the coverage is fantastic, Canal+ is miles better than Sky since they use a 3D board during the game, give you statistics on certain players on how many balls played, won and lost, kilometres ran, shots saved, how many cards the referee has given out per game. Nancy have just taken the lead from a corner and a bad goal to conceed.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
Have you seen much of him this season PL? How has he been doing?
Not that much, but I have this to say. I have been watching a great deal of Canal Football club and to be honest, they weren't really giving him any chances whatsoever, a player that Marseille could do without. However, I work with someone in Paris who supports Marseille. His opinion is that Barton has been a great addition to the team and he is giving 100% for the team, he is playing for the shirt so to speak. He has had a great deal of influence in the midfield and seemed to have turned his game around. Those same critics of his were actually starting to praise him and his game and how they were wrong. Suffice to say, his attitude in France is greater than what it was in the Premier League. I think he will stay with Marseille at the end of the season.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
He will never change. 2 yellows cards within 5 mins in the second half.
Cost them the game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21320238
So, you read an article and you condemn him already? I dislike Barton a great deal, but the first yellow card was for nothing. It was the other guy who kicked Barton and went down like a ton of bricks, a bit like Gerrard kicking the goalkeeper to get a penalty. The second tackle was a justifiable yellow card. Just for your information, there was a tackle only 5 minutes after Barton was sent off by a player from Nancy. He went in, two-footed, studs up and he didn't get so much as a warning so, you work it out. Instead of just reading, try watching the game and judge for yourself, I did and there was no way he should have been sent off.

Lastly, if you had watched the game, Nancy were dominating Marseille practically all the match. The Marseille defence was split open a number of times before Barton was sent off so, how he could have cost the game, I don't know. Just one last thing, if you want someone to blame for the loss, try Steve Mandanda who was horrendous for the corner and Jordan Ayew who was on the post who should have cleared it relatively easily.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So, you read an article and you condemn him already? I dislike Barton a great deal, but the first yellow card was for nothing. It was the other guy who kicked Barton and went down like a ton of bricks, a bit like Gerrard kicking the goalkeeper to get a penalty. The second tackle was a justifiable yellow card. Just for your information, there was a tackle only 5 minutes after Barton was sent off by a player from Nancy. He went in, two-footed, studs up and he didn't get so much as a warning so, you work it out. Instead of just reading, try watching the game and judge for yourself, I did and there was no way he should have been sent off.
Whether the first yellow was harsh or not he shouldn't be going in for that tackle on a yellow so soon after getting his first. It is stupid from Barton. Despite the other circumstances.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
Whether the first yellow was harsh or not he shouldn't be going in for that tackle on a yellow so soon after getting his first. It is stupid from Barton. Despite the other circumstances.
I agree, but how do you explain the fact that the player from Nancy escaping what was a potential red card? I watched the whole match. As for Bartons sending off.

Christ, even the pundits on Canal+ said that the first yellow was not justifiable.

Carl

I agree, but how do you explain the fact that the player from Nancy escaping what was a potential red card? I watched the whole match. As for Bartons sending off.

Christ, even the pundits on Canal+ said that the first yellow was not justifiable.
Again, it's not really relevant. He'd just picked up a yellow. He shouldn't be going in for that challenge. It's mindless and typical Barton.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
Again, it's not really relevant. He'd just picked up a yellow. He shouldn't be going in for that challenge. It's mindless and typical Barton.
We know he is mindless, but in this case, it is relevant since it was the same match and the same referee. If he had the sense to caution Barton, then why didn't he send the other player off for a dangerous tackle? Remember, the pundits on Canal+ were totally against Barton at the start of his season in Ligue 1, even they supported him last night saying the first yellow was unjustified.

pauldyson1uk

Lastly, if you had watched the game, Nancy were dominating Marseille practically all the match. The Marseille defence was split open a number of times before Barton was sent off so, how he could have cost the game, I don't know. Just one last thing, if you want someone to blame for the loss, try Steve Mandanda who was horrendous for the corner and Jordan Ayew who was on the post who should have cleared it relatively easily.
Guilty has charged, lesson learnt.

Carl

We know he is mindless, but in this case, it is relevant since it was the same match and the same referee. If he had the sense to caution Barton, then why didn't he send the other player off for a dangerous tackle? Remember, the pundits on Canal+ were totally against Barton at the start of his season in Ligue 1, even they supported him last night saying the first yellow was unjustified.
You're not understanding. Whether the first yellow is justified or not is irrelevant, whether the ref should have sent off another player for a worse challenge is irrelevant. What is relevant is that, on a yellow card, he went in for a silly challenge. Stupid from Barton.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
You're not understanding. Whether the first yellow is justified or not is irrelevant, whether the ref should have sent off another player for a worse challenge is irrelevant. What is relevant is that, on a yellow card, he went in for a silly challenge. Stupid from Barton.
Yes, it was a stupid tackle, I am in agreement with you. However, imagine that had been Scholes who had done exactly the same thing in Bartons place for us. He gets sent off, then a few minutes later, Gareth Barry tackles Carrick with a two-footed, studs up challenge. Would you claim it is still irrelevant, would you stay calm if Barry had committed a challenge that was worse than Paul Scholes challenge? Would you be questioning the referees bias? Of course you would and you know it, and I would of course being a Manchester United fan, I'd be a liar if I said no.