Johnny Depp and Amber Heard | 2nd November: Loses libel claim

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Maybe the more nuanced take on this is that people can't always be neatly placed into the roles of "abuser" or "victim". Sometimes abusers can also be the victims of acts of violence, sometimes victims of violence can commit violence themselves. Someone with detailed knowledge of the relationship might be able to say one is generally the aggressor over the other but for outsiders to make that determination based on very little information is difficult. Which isn't to say you can't sometimes draw an accurate picture of events pretty quickly but rather that blindly believing the first story to come out isn't going to work in every circumstance.

Some people were originally quick to blame Depp entirely despite many people who knew the couple questioning that narrative, others are now quick to proclaim Depp entirely innocent despite the released audio seeming to allude to some violent actions on his own part as well. Which speaks more to a desire by people on public forums to have a clear-cut narrative than it does to the actual situation being discussed, I think. You also get the likes of Mike Cernovich who are happy to use stories like this to disingenuously attack people they were inclined to attack anyway.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
Maybe the more nuanced take on this is that people can't always be neatly placed into the roles of "abuser" or "victim". Sometimes abusers can also being the victims of acts of violence, sometimes victims of violence can commit violence themselves. Someone with detailed knowledge of the relationship might be able to say one is generally the aggressor over the other but for outsiders to make that determination based on very little information is difficult. Which isn't to say you can't sometimes draw an accurate picture of events pretty quickly but rather that blindly believing the first story to come out isn't going to work in every circumstance.

Some people were originally quick to blame Depp entirely despite many people who knew the couple questioning that narrative, others are now quick to proclaim Depp entirely innocent despite the released audio seeming to allude to some violent actions on his own part as well. Which speaks more to a desire by people on public forums to have a clear-cut narrative than it does to the actual situation being discussed, I think. You also get the likes of Mike Cernovich who are happy to use stories like this to disingenuously attack people they were inclined to attack anyway.
Nailed it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
My ex destroyed me, her family and everyone around her. Most tragically, she destroyed herself.
Sorry to hear that. I have a lot of sympathy for everyone involved in situations like that - including the abuser. I've been there myself when you think you know someone and their facade slowly starts to peel away. You think to yourself that they might be different from other abusers or won't get worse and then one morning you wake up and realise that the nightmare is real.

A wise man once said 90% of people are good 90% of the time and you never know what's happened in someone's life that makes them who they are today. But sometimes people are just plain old wankers.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
https://www.thewrap.com/johnny-depp...outrageous-domestic-abuse-allegations-report/

https://www.inquisitr.com/3153020/j...rd-vanessa-paradis-defends-actor-with-letter/

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/ent...fends-johnny-depp-domestic-abuse-allegations/

My opinion is that being in a relationship with Heard and suffering her behaviour towards him would eventually lead to Depp also snapping at some points and maybe lashing out at her too. And as it seems the pair of them liked a bit of alcohol/substance abuse, then you can imagine some crazy late night arguments and shit being thrown about etc. I'm not defending Heard either, and if she has been doing this to him, then she should be charged and maybe not get much off him in a divorce?

Depp needs to stay away if she is bringing out the worst side in him too.

All abuse is wrong and support and understanding should be available to men as much as to women. Hopefully things are becoming better nowadays with men and also women getting support and feeling able to speak out.

Men can sometimes be very easily manipulated (and then not believed or protected enough) by certain kinds of women, and maybe Depp has found this out to his cost.

Hope this gets fixed and goes away for the pair of them, but especially for Depp. If Heard is guilty of abuse etc then let's hope she gets treated as a man would in the same position.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
This will probably resurrect it
Yeah, he's Johnny Depp, and there's not many real proper movie stars coming through that I can think of. Also he's still got a lot to offer in roles and for making money for studios, and as he's got into his fifties without anything like this happening before, except for being known for liking a drink/drugs and a rock star life, then it should go away pretty quickly and we might see a Brad Pitt like resurgence from him in the next years.

Maybe he'll star in Tarantinos last film?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There's a couple of posters who are always instantly present in other threads of a similar ilk but with a different kind of victim. Had a feeling they weren't going to show up here in a rush and still no sign. Telling of their actual motives.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Maybe the more nuanced take on this is that people can't always be neatly placed into the roles of "abuser" or "victim". Sometimes abusers can also be the victims of acts of violence, sometimes victims of violence can commit violence themselves. Someone with detailed knowledge of the relationship might be able to say one is generally the aggressor over the other but for outsiders to make that determination based on very little information is difficult. Which isn't to say you can't sometimes draw an accurate picture of events pretty quickly but rather that blindly believing the first story to come out isn't going to work in every circumstance.

Always a problem when such things are played out in public.

I agree with Grinner in a general sense that this was private counselling so should have stayed private.

However, now that it is no longer private it certainly seems like Heard was making stuff up which is fairly despicable. It doesn't mean Depp did or didn't lay a hand on her at some point of course.

Charlie Foley

There's a couple of posters who are always instantly present in other threads of a similar ilk but with a different kind of victim. Had a feeling they weren't going to show up here in a rush and still no sign. Telling of their actual motives.
Spit it out. Who

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Spousal abuse is one of those that we need to be aware of and report. Coercive control and behaviour is something I've had to report on thanks to this: https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidan...ive-behaviour-intimate-or-family-relationship

Drug trafficking, terrorism, money laundering, child protection, plus harm to yourself or others (which I imagine abuse comes under) are the ones we HAVE to report as counsellors.

Not sure if it's the same in the States but we have to have a signed contract between counsellor and client(s) so that both parties are protected and aware of what needs to happen if and when confidentiality will be breached. I can't imagine whoever leaked this will get away with a slap on the wrist or at least, I'd hope not though celebrities are a law unto themselves really.

If Multi-agency stuff comes in or it goes to court, a counsellor can still refuse to submit their notes if any are taken on the grounds of confidentiality IIRC although I suspect most would comply if we felt it would be the right thing to do ethically.

I understand but I'm sure you aren't instructed to report it to the Daily Mail or Twitter or whoever it is that is reporting all of this. I assume it would be a confidential police matter until any prosecution arose from the evidence reported.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I understand but I'm sure you aren't instructed to report it to the Daily Mail or Twitter or whoever it is that is reporting all of this. I assume it would be a confidential police matter until any prosecution arose from the evidence reported.
I have a feeling if you're the therapist involved you must be feeling pretty jumbled up, seeing a man framed and his career ruined for something which turns out to be a big lie, and something you have evidence off.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I couldn’t possibly guess who you might mean.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I can never unsee the weirdness of the word therapist with the addition of one space.

Also, Amber Heard comes across as a proper psycho in this. Doubly so if she accused him of abuse when it was the other way around. Though I don't think this is concrete evidence of it all being 1 way?

If the therapist involved leaked this audio he should lose his job by theway.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If you’re gonna talk about @Eboue at least tag him.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Speak up you tease.

I personally don't feel safe to talk about the subject of husband abusers.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Sorry to hear that. I have a lot of sympathy for everyone involved in situations like that - including the abuser. I've been there myself when you think you know someone and their facade slowly starts to peel away. You think to yourself that they might be different from other abusers or won't get worse and then one morning you wake up and realise that the nightmare is real.

A wise man once said 90% of people are good 90% of the time and you never know what's happened in someone's life that makes them who they are today. But sometimes people are just plain old wankers.
Probably not appropriate to go into it here, but outside of professionals who see it every day (Police and medical people) the 'layman' immediately assumed that I was the abuser, not her.

Mike Smalling

Why would two celebrities ever record their therapy sessions? Almost too predictable, that it would eventually leak.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
The majority of men and women think a woman beating a man is unacceptable. It's spoken about much less primarily because it's much less common. The tone of this thread is very weird.
As shocking as it may seem, that’s not actually true. Many studies have show that it’s actually 50/50. Men are just far less likely to report to the police for obvious reasons.

#JusticeforJohnnyDepp was trending worldwide yesterday

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
As shocking as it may seem, that’s not actually true. Many studies have show that it’s actually 50/50. Men are just far less likely to report to the police for obvious reasons.

#JusticeforJohnnyDepp was trending worldwide yesterday
There are lots and lots and lots of studies that show that women are physically abused much more often than men. Here's some numbers from multiple countries:

Figures suggest that as many as one in three victims of domestic violence are male. However, men are often reluctant to report abuse because they feel embarrassed, fear they won’t be believed, or are scared that their partner will take revenge.
https://www.helpguide.org/articles/abuse/help-for-men-who-are-being-abused.htm

Nearly 3 in 10 women (29%) and 1 in 10 men (10%) in the US have experienced rape, physical violence and/or stalking by a partner and report a related impact on their< functioning.[ii]
1 in 4 women (24.3%) and 1 in 7 men (13.8%) aged 18 and older in the United States have been the victim of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
From 1994 to 2010, about 4 in 5 victims of intimate partner violence were female.
https://www.thehotline.org/resources/statistics/

Over 80% (83%) of high frequency victims (more than 10 crimes) are women. (From a study of data from the Crime Survey for England and Wales, a nationally representative household survey.) (Walby & Towers, 2018)
https://www.womensaid.org.uk/inform...tic-abuse/domestic-abuse-is-a-gendered-crime/

The most recent Crime Survey for England and Wales estimated that 1.3 million women and 695,000 men experienced domestic abuse in the last year.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-47252756

The study suggested that in the region of 88,000 men and 213,000 women in Ireland have been severely abused by a partner at some point in their lives.
http://www.cosc.ie/en/COSC/Pages/WP09000005

So, undoubtedly it's a difficult problem to measure, because people feel ashamed and embarrassed about it, or because they think it's a personal issue, or because they feel they're responsible for it themselves, or because they're scared of reprisals, or because they're in denial, or many other things.

That's true for both men and women. I'm not sure if you've spoken to women about domestic abuse but if you think they're unlikely to let it go unreported, I think you're mistaken. Some of the worst forms of domestic abuse that are particularly likely to affect women are particularly unlikely to be reported...with decades of studies supporting that.

It's absolutely plausible that significantly more men let physical abuse go unreported. However the nature of the problem and the methods we use to collect that data make it incredibly difficult to size that effect with any reliability, and given the weight of evidence on either side, it is more than a bit suspicious that you would choose to believe it's close to 50-50.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
There are lots and lots and lots of studies that show that women are physically abused much more often than men. Here's some numbers from multiple countries:
I got it from here:

Abstract
Objectives. We sought to examine the prevalence of reciprocal (i.e., perpetrated by both partners) and nonreciprocal intimate partner violence and to determine whether reciprocity is related to violence frequency and injury.
Methods. We analyzed data on young US adults aged 18 to 28 years from the 2001 National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, which contained information about partner violence and injury reported by 11 370 respondents on 18761 heterosexual relationships.
Results. Almost 24% of all relationships had some violence, and half (49.7%) of those were reciprocally violent. In nonreciprocally violent relationships, women were the perpetrators in more than 70% of the cases. Reciprocity was associated with more frequent violence among women (adjusted odds ratio [AOR]=2.3; 95% confidence interval [CI]=1.9, 2.8), but not men (AOR=1.26; 95% CI=0.9, 1.7). Regarding injury, men were more likely to inflict injury than were women (AOR=1.3; 95% CI=1.1, 1.5), and reciprocal intimate partner violence was associated with greater injury than was nonreciprocal intimate partner violence regardless of the gender of the perpetrator (AOR=4.4; 95% CI=3.6, 5.5).
Conclusions. The context of the violence (reciprocal vs nonreciprocal) is a strong predictor of reported injury. Prevention approaches that address the escalation of partner violence may be needed to address reciprocal violence.
Prevention of violence between intimate partners is an important public health goal. National estimates indicate that approximately 25% of women report being victims of a partner’s physical or sexual violence at some point in their life, and approximately 1.5 million women and 835 000 men are physically assaulted or raped by intimate partners in the United States annually.1 Intimate partner violence (IPV) is associated with a number of negative psychological and physical health consequences including posttraumatic stress disorder, depression, physical injury, reproductive health problems, irritable bowel syndrome, and chronic pain.24 IPV costs approximately $5.8 billion per year, which includes only direct medical and mental health costs and work productivity losses to victims.5
The women’s movement brought initial attention to the problem of partner violence directed at women and to the need for funding to address that problem.6 Much of the initial research on IPV was conducted with severely abused women and supported the assumption that IPV is primarily perpetrated by men against women. Data is mounting, however, that suggests that IPV is often perpetrated by both men and women against their partner.7,8,9 It is also becoming recognized that perpetration of IPV by both partners within a relationship is fairly common. This phenomenon has been described with terms such as mutual violence, symmetrical violence, or reciprocal violence. Here we use the terms reciprocal and nonreciprocal to indicate IPV that is perpetrated by both partners (reciprocal) or 1 partner only (nonreciprocal) in a given relationship. Reciprocity of IPV does not necessarily mean that the frequency or the severity of the violence is equal or similar between partners.
Several studies have found that much of partner violence is reciprocal. For example, in their national studies of family violence, Straus et al. found that in about half of the cases, violence was reciprocal.10 Similar results were found in the National Survey of Families and Households.8 Studies reviewed by Gray and Foshee11 found that among violent adolescent relationships, the percentage of relationships in which there was reciprocal partner violence ranged from 45% to 72%. A recent meta-analysis found that a woman’s perpetration of violence was the strongest predictor of her being a victim of partner violence.12
Reciprocal partner violence does not appear to be only comprised of self-defensive acts of violence. Several studies have found that men and women initiate violence against an intimate partner at approximately the same rate. For example, Gray and Foshee11 specifically asked adolescents about their initiation of violence and found that among the violent relationships studied, 66% were characterized by both partners initiating violence at least once. In the National Family Violence Survey, both men and women reported that violence was initiated by each partner at least 40% of the time.10 Additionally, studies of community samples found that a relatively low percentage of women endorsed self-defense as a primary motive for violence.13,14 These data suggest that self-defense cannot fully explain the reciprocal violence phenomenon.
Little is known about reciprocal violence with regard to its context or severity. We sought to examine the prevalence of reciprocal and nonreciprocal IPV in a large, nationally representative sample of young adults. We also sought to examine the seriousness of IPV in relationships with reciprocal versus nonreciprocal IPV using 2 indices: violence frequency and injury occurrence. Family conflict theory,15 which asserts that IPV occurs as a result of escalating conflicts, would predict that reciprocal IPV should be more serious than nonreciprocal IPV because reciprocal IPV would indicate that both partners are engaging in the escalation of conflict. We also examined gender as a predictor of the seriousness of the violence. Gender is at the forefront of feminist theories of partner violence16and it has been consistently found that male perpetrators are more likely to inflict injury than female perpetrators.7 Thus, we examined the gender main effect on the seriousness of violence and the interaction between reciprocity and gender to understand whether the reciprocity effect differed for men and women
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1854883/

Anyway, it’s pointless to argue which gender is more abusive because it shouldn’t matter. Every case should be taken on an individual basis.

But what is inarguable is that abused men receive far less help than abused women, and are far more likely to be not taken seriously, mocked, or arrested themselves.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Yeah I'd assume that if the therapist/counsellor leaked it then it has at least ruined their career and they wouldn't be able to practce it again.

Highly likely though that it's one of the two's PR people which should really mean they're also sacked but sadly celebrities operate on a different plane to the rest of us.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I have an ex girlfriend who has posted more than once on social media that she was in an abusive relationship (referring to me). Of course I deny it utterly, but even within these small circles, it is really nasty thinking that there are people I work with etc who might think that about me, thanks to what she has said. I can only imagine what it would be like when played out in such a public environment. I personally think that anyone who knowingly makes false accusations (abuse or otherwise) should be absolutely rinsed by the law.