Johnny Depp and Amber Heard | 2nd November: Loses libel claim

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well maybe now he can be Jack Sparrow again.

Always thought Amber Heard was unhinged. She just had that look about her.

Oh and she shat on his bed. Who the feck does that?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Thought this all came out ages ago as her being the abuser?

Her career should be over, I don't even know who she actually is tbh

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If they both consent to it being made public then that's fine. Do they though?
Does it really matter though? If someone's seedy conversation was leaked during the MeToo thing I doubt many would be defending the person committing the act, or their right to privacy.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Maybe someone got tired of him being blamed in the wrong ?

I know you are not allowed to do it by law but if you are a therapist in a case where the wrong party is having their life ruined and the guilty party is benefitting wouldn't you leak the truth ?

Not that I'm saying this is the case here
And lose my license? feck no.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The majority of men and women think a woman beating a man is unacceptable. It's spoken about much less primarily because it's much less common. The tone of this thread is very weird.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Does it really matter though? If someone's seedy conversation was leaked during the MeToo thing I doubt many would be defending the person committing the act, or their right to privacy.

So it's alright to break the law if there is a good outcome?

That's not how it works.

Charlie Foley

So it's alright to break the law if there is a good outcome?
Stepping away from the circumstances at hand to make a broader point re this question...yes, obviously, it can be. Breaking the law is not by default immoral. I don’t think Anyone sane today would say helping slaves escape or sheltering Jews in the 40s was “not alright” however many laws were broken in doing so.

there is a reason we developed equity, for example.

there are also cases where breaking the law is not ok. And a lot of systems and procedures that are important can break down without confidentiality...it doesn’t exactly lead to full disclosure. Back to this particular case given the fact that it sounds like she was lying about who was the abuser here the system has rather perversely got to the truth.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Stepping away from the circumstances at hand to make a broader point re this question...yes, obviously, it can be. Breaking the law is not by default immoral. I don’t think Anyone sane today would say helping slaves escape or sheltering Jews in the 40s was “not alright” however many laws were broken in doing so.

there are also cases where breaking the law is not ok. And a lot of systems and procedures that are important can break down without confidentiality...it doesn’t exactly lead to full disclosure. Back to this particular case given the fact that it sounds like she was lying about who was the abuser here the system has rather perversely got to the truth.

No i understand all that. The point is if you decide that counseling isn't a protected arena for opening up and that anything you can say can be made public then it's not going to be a good outcome, is it? Same kind of think with attorney-client privilege and confidentiality with your doctor.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sure you can go the strawman route if you want.

Anything else?
Alright, back to my original question then. Let's say a conversation is leaked exposing a leading male actor of being a dirty git towards a vulnerable aspiring actress. Would your first thought be that the guy has been dealt with unfairly by having that put out there?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Good post.

Redlambs

No i understand all that. The point is if you decide that counseling isn't a protected arena for opening up and that anything you can say can be made public then it's not going to be a good outcome, is it? Same kind of think with attorney-client privilege and confidentiality with your doctor.
No, it's about a specific area, not "anything". And are you likely to tell your doctor you've broken the law?

And that all being said, why are you on here telling all of us that it should be private? Even if you believe that, it's out there now. And surely we should turn it into a positive by talking about the issues.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
No, it's about a specific area, not "anything". And are you likely to tell your doctor you've broken the law?

And that all being said, why are you on here telling all of us that it should be private? Even if you believe that, it's out there now. And surely we should turn it into a positive by talking about the issues.

I said that anything talked about in counseling that is protected by law should remain private if the people involved so wish. Pretty simple. I'm sure there are laws governing certain types of admissions that have to be reported but I don't think any of this fits that but could be wrong on that since I'm not a counselor or lawyer.

Redlambs

I said that anything talked about in counseling that is protected by law should remain private if the people involved so wish. Pretty simple. I'm sure there are laws governing certain types of admissions that have to be reported but I don't think any of this fits that but could be wrong on that since I'm not a counselor or lawyer.
And I'm saying it's easy to hide behind laws, but a bit harder to see that they are fallible and open to change and we shouldn't all be robots just assuming that it's always correct.

To call it pretty simple is, well, simple. But I guess right and wrong only matters when it's written down in some ledger somewhere.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
A lot of things have already been said, but can we all agree that she needs to lose her role in the Aquaman series after this?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
And I'm saying it's easy to hide behind laws, but a bit harder to see that they are fallible and open to change and we shouldn't all be robots just assuming that it's always correct.

To call it pretty simple is, well, simple. But I guess right and wrong only matters when it's written down in some ledger somewhere.

Can you not fecking read or something?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Leaking audio of someone's counselling session without their consent is generally very wrong.

However, even leaving aside how unfair the situation Depp found himself in may also have been, the fact is that Heard is someone who has positioned herself as an outspoken, high-profile campaigner against domestic violence, with the op-ed at the centre of this legal dispute having outlined specific political objectives to help combat such abuses while also railing against her industry for protecting abusers, without any reference at all to her own behavior.

I think there's a strong argument that exposing the hypocrisy of a high-profile public figure & advocate on an issue like this is in the public interest, which rather changes the dynamic in terms of the right or wrongs of publishing the audio.

Redlambs

Leaking audio of someone's counselling session without their consent is generally very wrong.

However, even leaving aside how unfair the situation Depp found himself in may also have been, the fact is that Heard is someone who has positioned herself as an outspoken, high-profile campaigner against domestic violence, with the op-ed at the centre of this legal dispute having outlined specific political objectives to help combat such abuses while also railing against her industry for protecting abusers, without any reference at all to her own behavior.

I think there's a strong argument that exposing the hypocrisy of a high-profile public figure & advocate on an issue like this is in the public interest, which rather changes the dynamic in terms of the right or wrongs of publishing the audio.
Very fair points.

Charlie Foley

The second part of my post was touching on that concern, yeah. I am a lawyer so I get what you mean. Bad process to a good outcome here imo.

the most important takeaway from this should be people of All genders can suffer from domestic violence or abuse and it is never ok. I imagine some will spin this as a “proof women lie about abuse” or “this is what you get for being woke” when neither of those are constructive. Perhaps worthwhile thinking about the twitter mob culture but that’s true anyway and I don’t know how the hell we fix that

Charlie Foley

thoughtful post

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Woah woah, let's not go that far.

I'm guessing you've started a petition somewhere though?
Someone did. What happens if it turns out they were smacking chunks out of each other? Ban them from all movies except ones where they have to star together.

Redlambs

The second part of my post was touching on that concern, yeah. I am a lawyer so I get what you mean. Bad process to a good outcome here imo.

the most important takeaway from this should be people of All genders can suffer from domestic violence or abuse and it is never ok. I imagine some will spin this as a “proof women lie about abuse” or “this is what you get for being woke” when neither of those are constructive. Perhaps worthwhile thinking about the twitter mob culture but that’s true anyway and I don’t know how the hell we fix that
It's never worthwhile thinking about the twitter mob.

But I guess having said that, we have to just to study them and learn how to combat them. So maybe it is worthwhile after all.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
A lot of things have already been said, but can we all agree that she needs to lose her role in the Aquaman series after this?
Does there need to be a series after this?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
This is so fecked up. Spousal abuse always is but Heard took it to the next level by hurting herself and then saying Depp did it and publicly turned it around on him. Imagine being in Depp's position to be scrutinized like that by the sheepish media when he's the one being beaten. I'm glad this is out even if it's the Daily Mail reporting it. Anything that might give abused people courage to get out of their hell is positive.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Spousal abuse is one of those that we need to be aware of and report. Coercive control and behaviour is something I've had to report on thanks to this: https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidan...ive-behaviour-intimate-or-family-relationship

Drug trafficking, terrorism, money laundering, child protection, plus harm to yourself or others (which I imagine abuse comes under) are the ones we HAVE to report as counsellors.

Not sure if it's the same in the States but we have to have a signed contract between counsellor and client(s) so that both parties are protected and aware of what needs to happen if and when confidentiality will be breached. I can't imagine whoever leaked this will get away with a slap on the wrist or at least, I'd hope not though celebrities are a law unto themselves really.

If Multi-agency stuff comes in or it goes to court, a counsellor can still refuse to submit their notes if any are taken on the grounds of confidentiality IIRC although I suspect most would comply if we felt it would be the right thing to do ethically.