Jonathan David

croadyman

We made a 7.5m enquiry for Arnautovic and we are in for Rabiot for relative peanuts.

Are these the actions of a club with a big budget? Not for me. I genuinely don't think the talks of a 100m budget plus any money from player sales was very far off the truth.
Glazers have finally appointed a decent manager yet still burning place to the ground

Bondi77

Why is no one signing him? Why is no one interested? Why the feck aren't we interested?

He looks a a great talent from the videos anyway. It's baffling me. The last time I saw a big talent sit in the French league under a radar before a big club moved, it was Fabinho.
Fabinho was at Madrid before Monaco.....pretty big club :lol:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Why does it? Rabiot has seemingly been available all summer. Juve don't even rate him.

Why did we make the move the now? If he was part of the plan all along to come in with an another midfielder (aka FDJ) why have we waited till mid August?

Stop falling for their BS. Rabiot wasn't in the plans at all. We've panicked as usual.
Juve are crap right now, their opinion on players means little. You only have to look at what kulusevki is doing at Tottenham.

It's obvious why were making the move now, we thought we'd have de Jong in by now. Him combined with another midfielder will likely be the FDJ alternative. Not to mention ETH probably had some faith in the squad until he saw the Brighton shambles, seeing as he'd trained them all summer.

forevrared

Still think he’s a better fit and cheaper than the likes of Gakpo/Antony. Strong start to the season, too - 2 goals and 2 assists through 2 games.

Rolaholic

Still think he’s a better fit and cheaper than the likes of Gakpo/Antony. Strong start to the season, too - 2 goals and 2 assists through 2 games.
Better than Gakpo definitely but he's a much different profile than Antony who's a left footed RW we've been needing for ages.

David would absolutely be my top choice for a striker if Ronaldo left, he's perfect for ETH's pressing system

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'd say he hasn't been picked up yet because he isn't good enough yet.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'd say he hasn't been picked up yet because he isn't good enough yet.
I think this will change now that he's playing more as an inside forward and less as a striker leading the line. He's been so much better as an inside right forward/second striker.

Champ

I think this will change now that he's playing more as an inside forward and less as a striker leading the line. He's been so much better as an inside right forward/second striker.
Maybe, but he still looks a little more Adama Traore rather than a polished player.

And I'm not saying he plays like Traore before anyone states otherwise. He just seems to run very fast and his end product seems to be lacking somewhat at times.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Maybe, but he still looks a little more Adama Traore rather than a polished player.

And I'm not saying he plays like Traore before anyone states otherwise. He just seems to run very fast and his end product seems to be lacking somewhat at times.
Your description fits him well when looking at last season and his struggles then, but he's honestly been improving his overall decision making compared to when he was first at Genk. He needs to put it all together this season, and I'm sure that he'll be good enough for the top clubs next season.

Champ

Your description fits him well when looking at last season and his struggles then, but he's honestly been improving his overall decision making compared to when he was first at Genk. He needs to put it all together this season, and I'm sure that he'll be good enough for the top clubs next season.
Maybe so, one to keep an eye on for sure.

Just think of a top club buys him now they'll have to either loan him for a year or persevere for a year before they see the outcome, sometimes its better to just see how he develops at a 'smaller' club and take it from there.

forevrared

Maybe so, one to keep an eye on for sure.

Just think of a top club buys him now they'll have to either loan him for a year or persevere for a year before they see the outcome, sometimes its better to just see how he develops at a 'smaller' club and take it from there.
Seems like a solid opportunity for a club with an aging superstar they can’t sell who he’d be able to learn from.

Champ

Seems like a solid opportunity for a club with an aging superstar they can’t sell who he’d be able to learn from.
If only that aging superstar could actually be arsed to be professional :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Never really been impressed with David, and I don’t think he’s a better talent than Gakpo, who I suspect will surprise a lot of posters based on what I’ve been reading on the caf lately.

NoPace

My wild guess is he'll end up going to Newcastle and be fantastic for them. Sort of think Chelsea should be in for him. Really good link play, excellent defensively so I think he'd be better at the stuff Tuchel asks Havertz to do at the moment. Negatives would be that he's not good in the air and he's more of the type to look for cutbacks than tap ins, which you'd prefer from a 9, but when you have wingbacks and Sterling you're probably looking at a fair few cutbacks rather than deeper crosses for tap-ins or headers.

He'd be great on a team that plays 2 up front because he does a ton of work defensively and links so well, but only Inter really comes to mind of the clubs that spend big on transfers. Juventus too as he'd be a great partner for Vlahovic if they want to play 4-4-2 with Chiesa and one of Pogba or Di Maria tucked in on the other side and Kostic at LB getting forward a ton, or wait a year and just play 4-4-2 with Kostic and Chiesa as old fashioned wingers and David and Vlahovic up top with David playing as a #10 defensively, after one of Di Maria or Pogba shows themselves to be done physically (at the minute you'd bet on that being Pogba even with 5 years on Di Maria).

Looked good in the PSG game I thought, even though their team was a mess. He really doesn't have enough talent around him anymore, which a hurts him as he's a good player to play with rather than a pure #9 who will get goals in a team built around that. Bit of a Gabriel Jesus type all-around.

Last edited:

NoPace

Never really been impressed with David, and I don’t think he’s a better talent than Gakpo, who I suspect will surprise a lot of posters based on what I’ve been reading on the caf lately.
Totally different player. Works much harder and isn't really a winger.

Telsim

Top scorer in Ligue 1 right now, in a not exactly impressive Lille team. 5 goals in the last 5 matches. A bit short and from what little I've seen rather raw, but works hard. Could be worth a look for a reasonable price.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Top scorer in Ligue 1 right now, in a not exactly impressive Lille team. 5 goals in the last 5 matches. A bit short and from what little I've seen rather raw, but works hard. Could be worth a look for a reasonable price.
His agent is already sounding out clubs for a January move which makes sense as his stock is again on the up and he has a World Cup with Canada to make more of a name for himself.

I think Dortmund or someone similar might be in the hunt for him. Id be very happy to see him at United as a genuine competitor for Martial.

His dry spell last season, albeit in an incredibly dysfunctional attack, I believe put a lot of bigger clubs off the gamble in the summer however he’s returned to his goalscoring best again and is excellent in linking up with others.

For around £30-40m he’s the best young striker on the market for a reasonable fee.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’ve been talking about this guy for years

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
My sons been on about this guy for ages. Normally I just assume he’s talking bollocks….but maybe he’ll be proved right in this case

hobbers

Similar to Gakpo really, should have signed him when no one else was interested.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Had a bit of a slow start in Ligue 1 which makes me think he might be a slow adapter, could be a worry.

Usually though French players translate to England quite well, so it might be fine.

We definitely need to get either him or Toney.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Can't wait to see him in world Cup for Canada. In today's striker market I don't think he will be cheap.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
as a canadian, im supposed to love him, but there's just something when i watxh him that says "he won't be that guy"

hope im wrong, i do like him

JohnnyLaw

With Martial already here I feel they’d be too similar of a set. A Vlahovic, Osimhen, Schick or Sesko would provide a partner with a more complimentary skill set which would allow us more tactical flexibility.

kaku06

How good is he technically? I know he is big and strong but how good is his hold up play ? What about pace? conversion? Sorry for asking because I know next to nothing about him.

croadyman

With Martial already here I feel they’d be too similar of a set. A Vlahovic, Osimhen, Schick or Sesko would provide a partner with a more complimentary skill set which would allow us more tactical flexibility.
Yeah this team definitely needs that sort of player mentioned above to give us a different dimension to Tony,need someone to bully opposition defence

Rolaholic

Would absolutely hate to see him end up there.

He's the top scorer in Ligue 1 currently and just broke Lilles scoring record in 80 less matches than Hazard did.

Would be a great fit for us in ETH's system, ambidextrous, quality finisher, good off ball movement and with a great motor/workrate. Also very unselfish with solid vision to find/create chances for teammates.

Ticks every box that I'd want in a centre forward and he's just 22 and not injury prone like our current no.9.

croadyman

Would absolutely hate to see him end up there.

He's the top scorer in Ligue 1 currently and just broke Lilles scoring record in 80 less matches than Hazard did.

Would be a great fit for us in ETH's system, ambidextrous, quality finisher, good off ball movement and with a great motor/workrate. Also very unselfish with solid vision to find/create chances for teammates.

Ticks every box that I'd want in a centre forward and he's just 22 and not injury prone like our current no.9.
Yeah just hope Law doesn't link him to them