Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
After a worrying season last year he seems to be back to his very best (or close to!). Long may it continue.

johnmufc

He is excellent, but in the past year he seems to have become slightly reckless in the tackle.

MUFCgal

I think the additions of Smalling and Jones have given him a kick up the arse, and it's showing. He knows he has to perform to the best of his ability every chance he gets in order to get in the team.

He was very good tonight.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is excellent, but in the past year he seems to have become slightly reckless in the tackle.
Disagree. His problem seemed to be that he was becoming error prone and prone to being outmuscled. This aggressive streak is a good counter to the second issue. He looks tougher in the little I've seen of him this season.

He was great. Really happy for him. Hope he reminds everyone this season just how good a talent he is.

Lance Uppercut

I concur with the general consensus. Very good this evening.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Disagree. His problem seemed to be that he was becoming error prone and prone to being outmuscled. This aggressive streak is a good counter to the second issue. He looks tougher in the little I've seen of him this season.

He was great. Really happy for him. Hope he reminds everyone this season just how good a talent he is.
Evans has always been class at defending when the ball is on the ground. The problem last season was that he tended to stand still and just watch the ball when it was in the air instead of "attacking" it leading to a couple of goals that were his fault. So far so good this season but United are yet to play a team like Bolton,Everton and Stoke that puts crosses into the box for fun. That will be the real test for Evans and De Gea too.

Skywarden

Great display. Where Jones showed a little bit of inexperience with regards to his positioning, Evans covered him up with his own bag of experience.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Evans has always been class at defending when the ball is on the ground. The problem last season was that he tended to stand still and just watch the ball when it was in the air instead of "attacking" it leading to a couple of goals that were his fault. So far so good this season but United are yet to play a team like Bolton,Everton and Stoke that puts crosses into the box for fun. That will be the real test for Evans and De Gea too.
Agree.

He was fine tonight.
He was a bit more than that. I thought he was outstanding.

Last season during his struggles I sometimes felt uneasy when he came near the ball. Not tonight against a tough Spurs side. His presence was reassuring. He looked stronger, faster and sharper on the ball without a hint of a mistake in his game. Well done Jonny.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I was hard on him last season, but he's started this season extremely well. He seems far more comfortable with Jones at his side.

RedGib

I thought he was great tonight, with little recognition from the pundits, as they focused on Jones amazing debut and the ever impressive Smalling.
Well done Jonny lad

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
So much talk about all the others. But a shout out to Evans. Thought he was superb. Loads of pace too.
I couldn't believe the pace he showed tonight. It was a huge improvement.

Stronger, more confident, pacier, and today he took charge as the leader of our defence when many changes were made.

Evans is back, as the sane of us said, and not ready to give up his place as heir to Ferdinand/Vida without a fight! Encouraging stuff.
Couldn't agree with this more. He was the leader and it was great to see.

He was fine tonight.
That's a harsh assessment. He was much more than fine. I actually gave him my top pick in MOTM as he was the most consistent we had all night. Great game from Evans.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Stronger, more confident, pacier, and today he took charge as the leader of our defence when many changes were made.

Evans is back, as the sane of us said, and not ready to give up his place as heir to Ferdinand/Vida without a fight! Encouraging stuff.
This comment has just reminded me of the fact that there were people saying he should be sold over the summer.

Pfffffffffffffffffffft.

I'm always right

After that performance vs. West Ham last season and another couple of shockers I thought the writing might have been on the wall for Jonny, but feck me, how good has he been this season.

It's getting lost a little due how excited everyone is about Jones.

Not just "back to his best", better than his best.

Cina

It's getting lost a little due how excited everyone is about Jones..
Yeah, a lot of us were still saying last season that with a good pre-season and playing regularly, he'll show how damn good he is again, and that he can compete with Smalling and Jones, who have both overshadowed him of late.

He's a class defender.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
thought he was fantastic last night, very good on the cover. Seems like a decent partership in the making with Jones too.

The likes of Jones and Welbeck will take the plaudits but the performance of Evans and Anderson was equally as good imho

Red_Aaron

was excellent last night and it was great to see him taking charge, shouting and organising the backline. has shaken off the form of last season and looks full of confidence now

we've got a cracking set of young defenders

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fergie's got an interesting conundrum ahead of him when he decides on Rio/Vida' successors. Three into two won't go.

That said, I love the way all three of our young central defenders are comfortable on the all and look capable of playing as a fullback or in the centre of defence. We've got an embarrassment of riches when it comes to talented young defenders.

championo

Top Stalker
May be just may be he is now injury free... He carried an injury to help the team without opting for surgery and that might have caused his performance below par soiled his reputation a bit.

kietotheworld

Fergie's got an interesting conundrum ahead of him when he decides on Rio/Vida' successors. Three into two won't go.

That said, I love the way all three of our young central defenders are comfortable on the all and look capable of playing as a fullback or in the centre of defence. We've got an embarrassment of riches when it comes to talented young defenders.
Wouldn't surprise me if one of them ended up being first choice Right Back. That's been seen as the destiny of the twins for a while now, but I'm not so sure about that. While Fabio's done nothing wrong in his time with us, I think he's nailed on to get the LB slot in the future, there are still question marks over Rafael's temperament for me.

There's also the fact that, if we're taking Fabio succeeding Evra as a given, there are a lot of teams in England against whom I wouldn't be particularly comfortable playing two fairly short full backs like the twins. We seem to be at our most solid defensively when we have what is effectively a centre back playing on one side for us, eg. 2007-08 with Wes Brown or 2008-09 with O'Shea.

kleberson_

Tends to give away a few dangerous freekicks every game. With more experience he will be class!

Irwinwastheking

thought he was fantastic last night, very good on the cover. Seems like a decent partership in the making with Jones too.

The likes of Jones and Welbeck will take the plaudits but the performance of Evans and Anderson was equally as good imho
I'd say you NI fans are doubly happy at his recent performances. Good for you when you have top drawer young defenders that have a full career in front of them and are already so experienced. Surely a future perma captain of the North.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's been waiting to happen for a while then hasn't he?

17 league games in 08/09 - Utd joint tightest defence in the league
18 league games in 09/10 - Utd had tightest defence in the league
13 league games in 10/11 - Utd had the tightest defence in the league

Surely if he was an accident waiting to happen it would have happened in a portion of some of those games?

Overall he's been excellent, and is still only 23.

Irwinwastheking

I think he's a mistake waiting to happen. Are we allowed to say that at the Caf?
As long as you don't say something like that about Carrick it's OK.

Quite honestly though I disagree with you. All defenders make mistakes from time to time even the really great ones like Rio feck up big time in big games. (city last year). I think the thing to do is to look at the rate of mistakes to great games. TBF since Evans broke into the team he's had a pretty good ratio and one that I can only see getting better.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
At the risk of getting a bit ahead of myself, Evans has looked very good every time he has played this season and pre-season. Easily been the equal of Jones and Smalling in my opinion. Thought he was brilliant again last night. What a headache for Ferguson.

Decotron

I think his form against Torres and Drogba as a kid marked him down as a potential 1st class defender. He isnt there yet but his form since preseason gives me alot of hope. The extra competition at the club shouldnt be underestimated in terms of his revival.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
There's also the fact that, if we're taking Fabio succeeding Evra as a given, there are a lot of teams in England against whom I wouldn't be particularly comfortable playing two fairly short full backs like the twins. We seem to be at our most solid defensively when we have what is effectively a centre back playing on one side for us, eg. 2007-08 with Wes Brown or 2008-09 with O'Shea.
Even Neville was a centre back originally as well, and obviously played there for club and country at various points. A lot of the top clubs and international teams do it too with Ivanovic, Abidal, Ramos, Boateng etc. We'll always adapt our systems to fit in quality players though, before Ronaldo you could've argued we'd always been best under Sir Alex with wide players who stuck to the touchline and got the ball in the box. Pre-Keane retirement we'd played with two 'box-to-box' midfielders.

I think that we'll have Smalling, Evans and Jones all play there a few times a season each but I don't think they'll ever be first choice. As long as the twins can play conservatively - which both have done very well on occasion already - then I don't think it'd cause too much bother. It can add a whole dimension to the attack to have two fullbacks that excel going forward.

Evans' reading of the game is brilliant, with Smalling and Jones(particularly) loving to attack the ball and get tight to the man I think he's a good complimentary partner. And his ability to step it up a gear in the big games is invaluable.

Decotron

Even Neville was a centre back originally as well, and obviously played there for club and country at various points. A lot of the top clubs and international teams do it too with Ivanovic, Abidal, Ramos, Boateng etc. We'll always adapt our systems to fit in quality players though, before Ronaldo you could've argued we'd always been best under Sir Alex with wide players who stuck to the touchline and got the ball in the box. Pre-Keane retirement we'd played with two 'box-to-box' midfielders.

I think that we'll have Smalling, Evans and Jones all play there a few times a season each but I don't think they'll ever be first choice. As long as the twins can play conservatively - which both have done very well on occasion already - then I don't think it'd cause too much bother. It can add a whole dimension to the attack to have two fullbacks that excel going forward.
Do you ever see Fergie messing around with a proper 3-5-2? I hope we do a some point! It would be ideal for alot of our squad. Id imagine our style of play would be reminiscent of sensible soccer!!!!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It just seems so far-fetched given how it can take away so much from our wingplay, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it used Post-Sir Alex. The twins would love it and Jones and Smalling would relish a bit of freedom (and maybe more than that, responsibility) to bring the ball forward but I don't see it benefiting anyone else beyond there.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a 433 with Jones in midfield that mirrors a 352 at times but I reckon that's as far as it goes, injury-crisis aside!

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
At the risk of getting a bit ahead of myself, Evans has looked very good every time he has played this season and pre-season. Easily been the equal of Jones and Smalling in my opinion. Thought he was brilliant again last night. What a headache for Ferguson.
aye...the bad memeries are fast fading.

His confidence is obviously back.

He always had ability.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I couldnt understand some of the negativity regarding Johnny since he got sent off last season. He played a great game but near completely wrecked your mans's leg permanent (in Mickey Goldmill's voice). Then folk just seemed to regard him as out of the reckoning for the future of our team, which i thought was absurd.

I've never doubted his potential or quality. His readin of the game is fantastic, but it has to be given that his initial burst of pace would leave him stranded if one-on-one with a pacy Striker. He's also a goal-scoring threat & loves to mix-it in the oppositions box - something thats excellent to see from Defenders, especially Centre-halfs.

Fergie will be like a pig in shit this morning when it sinks in, that his belief in youth has serious potential to pave the path to huge success for the next 10 or more years.

Most certainly its a very exciting time to be a United fan, not many clubs can be seriously confident of continued success for the long-term without havin a sugar-daddy.. there's plenty of propects in the youth teams aswell as the Reserves - Will Keane doesnt get the mention he should be gettin in these forums, but i've been watchin him for a few years now & that lad is excellent aswell - he's gotta very Berbatov style about him & i've yet to figure out what foot he is, because he's excellent with both!

The future is bright thats for sure :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.