Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Fergie's got an interesting conundrum ahead of him when he decides on Rio/Vida' successors. Three into two won't go.
FM time!

3 at the back?

----------------De Gea----------------
--------Smalling--Jones--Evans--------
--Valencia--Cleverly-Anderson--Young--
-------Nani---Rooney---Welbeck-------

Shimo

Glad he is playing well but, it really pisses me off that Evans gets called for these nothing fouls all the time - either that or he doesn't seem to learn. I am leaning to that he doesn't get any benefit from refs, like the yellow last night, first foul and he gets booked.

I think he tends to get frustrated by the calls against him (not last night but, in general) and that has a negative affect on him. Hopefully the manager now has a real dilemma on who to pick between him, Jones and Smalling. As good as all of them are, they aren't going to displace a fit Rio/Vida for now.

gbgary

Glad he is playing well but, it really pisses me off that Evans gets called for these nothing fouls all the time - either that or he doesn't seem to learn. I am leaning to that he doesn't get any benefit from refs, like the yellow last night, first foul and he gets booked.

I think he tends to get frustrated by the calls against him (not last night but, in general) and that has a negative affect on him. Hopefully the manager now has a real dilemma on who to pick between him, Jones and Smalling. As good as all of them are, they aren't going to displace a fit Rio/Vida for now.
has that guilty look on his face all the time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Rio is unfit a lot of the time. As is the case with the twins. Opens up a lot of opportunities for the three central defenders. Smalling should be the first choice out of them due to his performances last season but he is probably also the best at right back.

Embarrassment of riches, really.

Kelvin

look very dodgy today, needless pull on walcott down in the penalty box and also went missing for rvp goal.

Plan M

How good can this guy become?
NOW I know why you did the ":lol:" smiley when I stated that "Jonny Evans is a mistake waiting to happen" in the United v Spurs matchday thread and then later in the General Forum you made a big fuss because I said that I thought that Evans is overrated by some at the Caf.

I didn't realise you had created the Jonny Evans thread!

Well, anyway - my point remains justified. Evans IS a mistake waiting to happen as we saw today against the Gooners.

The quicker we have Vidic and Ferdinand fit again, the better. Jonny is a decent player but just doesn't look confident enough to become one of our first choice centre backs. I'd much rather see a Smalling and Jones partnership with Fabio or Rafael (when fit) playing right back. All are far talented players than Jonny too in my opinion.

look very dodgy today, needless pull on walcott down in the penalty box and also went missing for rvp goal.
Solius doesn't like this.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
Looked like the '2nd season Evans' today and not like the 'debut season Evans' he has looked in all his other games this season.

Plan M

Had a poor game but this is out of sync with his recent performances
I don't think we should judge Evans by pre season games though. He's looked dodgy on more than one occassion since the Community Shield game. And we all know what he was like before then.

I just can't see him being a first choice centre back at Man Utd in the long term.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
My initial feeling as regards to his performance was that he was disappointing but I think Evra gave him a hard time as well.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He was good today the penalty was harsh to say the least.
If he had got a red card, that would have been harsh but I think it was a penalty. You cannot just hold someone back in the box and not expect a penalty.

Devilton

Personally, I still think he's the weakest of our 4 CB...and there's always a feeling with him that he'll make a mistake which could cost us big. The peno was obviously a bad mistake, but otherwise he had a decent enough game.

The peno was definitely deserved as well...not sure what he was thinking wrapping his arms around the player when he was going nowhere.

prateik

Watching the highlights and he was the only one who spotted the danger for the walcott goal.
Smalling was playing walcott on so that wasnt anything to do with Evans. He anticipated the ball and was already on the move. Just couldnt get there on time

And it was a pen. didnt think it was at the time, but did look like a needless tug when I saw it again.
Still did well for me. Over his dodgy spell from last season. Plenty of promise

WireRed

I thought he had a good game today, in line with his recent return to form. The reason he may have looked suspect is because he's having the misfortune to play inside of Evra, a full-back who goes walkies on many an occasion and who is constantly allowing runners beyond him to marry up with passes down his channel, this drags Evans out of position far too much for his liking which makes him look worse for it when really he's having a good game and having to bail out his much more experienced team mate who is letting himself and the rest of our defensive unit down big time over recent months.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Smalling is playing as a winger. Evra needs to get back some form. Cleverley and Anderson aren't the ideal pair to shield the defence. Considering they were playing against some class forwards today they were very good, and have been in every game they have played. Evans is back to his best.

Not missing Rio, and Vidic is some compliment to Evans and Jones.

WireRed

Smalling is playing as a winger. Evra needs to get back some form. Cleverley and Anderson aren't the ideal pair to shield the defence. Considering they were playing against some class forwards today they were very good, and have been in every game they have played. Evans is back to his best.

Slight exagerration, but Evra(a fully fledged international and LB of a decade or so)really needs to watch Chris on the other side to rejog his memory of what full-back play is all about. Smalling has been playing there for 4 fecking games and has mastered the balance between defence and attack in a way Evra hasn't managed for a good 18 months. I love Evra but there is only so much poor form that your reputation can afford you. If this carries on much longer, I'd hope to see Fabio get a run at LB, he's shown enough at RB last season to merit a chance if Evra can't get it together once our experienced defenders return to full form and fitness.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I have to say I disagree. While Evans and Jones are excellent we have looked dodgy at times at the back. For example Arsenal themselves could've scored 3 or 4 despite us dominating so convincingly.

Look so much more composed with the experience of Vidic and Ferdinand.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I did too, memory's not great from all of the hysteria but I remember thinking on a few times that Evans is still looking as good as ever.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I did too, memory's not great from all of the hysteria but I remember thinking on a few times that Evans is still looking as good as ever.
I really do wonder at times if some people on here even pay attention when they watch a match. I don't recall Evans misplacing one pass all game and he was very much the leader in centre defence making a number of interceptions and looking a lot more dominant than he has been aerially. I guess people see that he gave away penalty and assume he had a stinker

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
i really do wonder at times if some people on here even pay attention when they watch a match. I don't recall evans misplacing one pass all game and he was very much the leader in centre defence making a number of interceptions and looking a lot more dominant than he has been aerially. I guess people see that he gave away penalty and assume he had a stinker
this

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I have to say I disagree. While Evans and Jones are excellent we have looked dodgy at times at the back. For example Arsenal themselves could've scored 3 or 4 despite us dominating so convincingly.

Look so much more composed with the experience of Vidic and Ferdinand.
The pressure is due to our attacking play, and hardly any support/shielding from the middle. We're playing with two very attack minded mid-fielders. There's not been a passage of play in any of the games they've played where I thought Rio, and Vidic combination could've made a difference.

Rio, Vidic, and Carrick's experience will be invaluable during our European run with the away goal rule being vital.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He had a good game against Spurs but was poor yesterday and Arsenal are no longer the most atheletic team but that's when he really struggles, especially in the air. Jones and Smalling already look better prospects IMHO.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
I don't think we should judge Evans by pre season games though. He's looked dodgy on more than one occassion since the Community Shield game. And we all know what he was like before then.

I just can't see him being a first choice centre back at Man Utd in the long term.
Started pulling it together towards the end of last season pre season or not looked mint against Barca and carried it into this term. Yesterday showed a wobble but he stayed on track rather than coming off.

I like him and still have faith in his ability

forevrared

Didn't think it was anything close to a penalty on first viewing, but the camera angle that showed the linesman's view made it definite. Also a bit at fault on Walcott's goal - no reason he shouldn't have blocked it and I think that's what De Gea was expecting. That aside, I think he's done well as the elder statesman in central defense.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Didn't think it was anything close to a penalty on first viewing, but the camera angle that showed the linesman's view made it definite. Also a bit at fault on Walcott's goal - no reason he shouldn't have blocked it and I think that's what De Gea was expecting. That aside, I think he's done well as the elder statesman in central defense.
I don't think he should have blocked the shot I think he should've had the awareness to move up with the rest of the line when the initial (poor) clearance by Evra was made. Had he done that the through ball gets flagged for offside. Nonetheless, barring that Evans made virtually no errors and looked pretty reliable though his tendency to grab opposing players is something he needs to rub out. Smalling and Jones are, to my eyes, superior centre-halves but by and large the sloppiness that crept into his game last season has vanished and he's getting back to where he was two seasons ago which is pleasing. I still regard that Champions League game away at Inter his best game in a United shirt love to see him get to that level again.

bsc

Evans directed proceedings from the back yesterday. He was the one barking orders and organising the line.

He mopped up numerous times, covering both fullbacks and Jones, and his distribution was fantastic.

He's still young and learning so of course small errors will occur, same with De Gea. It's a bonus these blips occur in victories and don't cost the team points.

Evans is going to be a very solid, versatile and dependable player for years to come.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
He had a good game against Spurs but was poor yesterday and Arsenal are no longer the most atheletic team but that's when he really struggles, especially in the air. Jones and Smalling already look better prospects IMHO.
Sorry, I know everyone has their opinions and what not... But fecking hell, really? He has looked like Vidic in the air at points this season, timing his jump and meeting the ball perfectly on the majority of occasions.

As for Smalling and Jones 'looking better prospects', its just plain old muppetry that all fans are guilty of. New youngster playing way above the expectation levels. It was the same when Evans first broke through, something a lot of you are forgetting.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I really do wonder at times if some people on here even pay attention when they watch a match. I don't recall Evans misplacing one pass all game and he was very much the leader in centre defence making a number of interceptions and looking a lot more dominant than he has been aerially. I guess people see that he gave away penalty and assume he had a stinker
Agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.