Jorginho | Arsenal player

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
1 tackle every 43 minutes. 1 interception every 53 minutes. Fair to say Kante will be doing that part, and that Jorginho might've been found lacking as DM in a trio with KDB and Silva. Happy either way. Let's hope Fernandinho is a wreck after the World Cup, could be their Achilles heel in the PL this season. They'd have to rely on Delph since Gundogan can't play as lone defensive midfielder.
Gundogan played as a DM when Fernandinho suspended for 3 matched against Chelsea, Arsenal, and Spurs. City won all 3.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Jorginho had Allan who is a player much like Kante, to do the dirty work for him at Napoli, while Jorginho was playmaking. They will be a good duo together i think. Interesting who will play the attacking midfielder, RLC/Barkley/Golovin could all be options.

Robertd0803

No doubt he will be great at Chelsea but very relieved he didnt end at City.

Also amusing how Liverpool's links with him disappeared when us and City were being linked before January.

Leif GW

1 tackle every 43 minutes. 1 interception every 53 minutes. Fair to say Kante will be doing that part, and that Jorginho might've been found lacking as DM in a trio with KDB and Silva. Happy either way. Let's hope Fernandinho is a wreck after the World Cup, could be their Achilles heel in the PL this season. They'd have to rely on Delph since Gundogan can't play as lone defensive midfielder.
You do have to take into account that Napoli usually dominated the possession heavily, thus less need for tackles and the like. But he is not a very physical player, correct. Deep-lying playmaker who's very good at keeping the ball within the team. He was the one making Napoli tick, with some support from Hamsik.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
There is nothing interesting I deliberately chose his weakest stats (I didn't even post the 50 interceptions) :lol:
Just like Fred with us, underwhelming player IMHO
In Carrick's best season with us (12/13) his stats were quite similar:

36 games
2,775 passes
88% pass accuracy
83 tackles won
76 interceptions
37 chances created
4 assists
1 goal

At a glance it looks like Jorginho will bring a lot of the same qualities. Not the kind of qualities that get you on the edge of your seat but they're pretty important.

Worth bearing in mind that in that same season, Schneiderlin made twice as many tackles and interceptions as Carrick...

Kilmonger

Supports
Chelsea
Kante will just play the role Allan played in Napoli's midfield. Jorginho is like a less physical Busquets in a way. Isn't the best at tackling but his defensive positioning is elite. Snuffs out the passing lanes before the pass can be made. Cleans up whatever rebound the main tackler (Allan/Kante) may have earned and recycles the ball back into possession. Like Xavi for Pep's Barca. Everything goes through Jorginho in Sarri's system. Pairing him with KDB and Silva might have been disastrous as that would have given him the responsibility of being the main tackler in midfield but hey, I didn't just coach a team to 100 pts so maybe Pep knows better.

What a flop Bakayoko has been
Hopefully Sarri can work some magic on him. Make or break season for him.

They would actually be great for each other. Kante does not have it in him to remain in the red zone in front of the centre backs. He has to be active and chase the ball. Kante has always been at his best next to a 6. He was with Drinkwater, then Matic and now will be with Jorginho.

It's quite annoying yet predictable. Chelsea seem to have some really good footballing brains at the top. Whether thats Roman or someone else I don't know, but they always identify the problem even if it is sometimes self inflicted.
Interesting point of view. As a Chelsea fan, I think that only happens half the time. Other times, we end up with useless signings like Drinkwater, Djilobodji, Rahman, Zappacosta, etc.

Reactions: Akshay

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In Carrick's best season with us (12/13) his stats were quite similar:

36 games
2,775 passes
88% pass accuracy
83 tackles won
76 interceptions
37 chances created
4 assists
1 goal

At a glance it looks like Jorginho will bring a lot of the same qualities. Not the kind of qualities that get you on the edge of your seat but they're pretty important.

Worth bearing in mind that in that same season, Schneiderlin made twice as many tackles and interceptions as Carrick...
Good post. Stats are what they are and them being not impressive obviously do not tell a whole story. Time will tell but this isn't a signing that really concerns me much

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Should have signed for City

He literally does nothing in this Chelsea side

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
He hasn’t been effective for this Chelsea side at all. Not sure Sarri ball or whatever he is supposed to play is that suited for the premier league. But hey ho, Chealsa are above us so we can’t really comment.

steakpie

What does he do?

Ederson has more assists than him this season.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Fabregas was a better Regista (14/15) than Jorginho and he isn't even a natural Regista.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Fabregas was a better Regista (14/15) than Jorginho and he isn't even a natural Regista.
Fabregas has far better vision than I've seen from Jorginho (and most other players ever to be fair).

That being said, Jorginho rarely tries long, defence splitting passes like Fabregas used to all the time, maybe because he can't but also because that's not what his role in the team is.

Javi

What does he do?

Ederson has more assists than him this season.
Positioning, mostly. His job is to sustain possession in his own half when being pressed so that they can play out and push forward. Thats his biggest strenght. He‘s decent at recycling possession in the other half, too. Shortcoming are long balls and open space defending. I think he‘s been allright overall, its his first season still plus you‘d think he‘d profit alot from better team gel.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Fabregas has far better vision than I've seen from Jorginho (and most other players ever to be fair).

That being said, Jorginho rarely tries long, defence splitting passes like Fabregas used to all the time, maybe because he can't but also because that's not what his role in the team is.
I'll take your word for it since you've seen more of him. That is even stranger, a regista that doesn't make defence splitting passes...so he's not even a good regista then?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Jorginho played a lot more through balls and balls over the top in behind to runners at Napoli, maybe more comfortable with the forwards movement, or maybe tactical. He had been there 4 years and only played in Italy before too.

I think he can improve his forward passing for us, has generally done well, and a lot more mobile and helpful defensively than Fabregas.

duffer

Scout
I'll take your word for it since you've seen more of him. That is even stranger, a regista that doesn't make defence splitting passes...so he's not even a good regista then?
I don't even know what a "regista" is in all honesty.

Jorginho dictates the flow and speed of play with a million short passes to others.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I don't even know what a "regista" is in all honesty.

Jorginho dictates the flow and speed of play with a million short passes to others.
It's a playmaker, but from a deep position. Xavi and Pirlo being two examples. Fabregas was a make shift one in 14/15, every other week he was feeding a pass for Costa to score from, his passing vision was something else.

duffer

Scout
It's a playmaker, but from a deep position. Xavi and Pirlo being two examples. Fabregas was a make shift one in 14/15, every other week he was feeding a pass for Costa to score from, his passing vision was something else.
OK, Jorginho is certainly not a Pirlo type, he does not really ever try long passes. Xavi might be a better comparison (not in terms of quality), I just looked and he got 2 assists from 30 league games in 13/14 for Barca.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He played much bigger range of passes at Napoli:

I think it's got to be partly tactical.

Ekeke

OK, Jorginho is certainly not a Pirlo type, he does not really ever try long passes. Xavi might be a better comparison (not in terms of quality), I just looked and he got 2 assists from 30 league games in 13/14 for Barca.
Xavi got forward plenty. Its Busquets who would be playing the similar role

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I agree, partly tactical, partly adapting to the league. Smaller technical players often need a season to get used to the pace of the league. Jorginho gets pressed much more with Chelsea than he did at Napoli.

Xavi was a freak in that he could be a deep lying playmaker, central midfielder and an attacking midfielder all in one player.

steakpie

Maybe Sarri could swap Kante and Jorgingo and give Jorginho a licence to attack?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Hes got the passing range hes shown it in glimpses. The biggest issue is our attack are lile statues at times with no movement and half stand waiting for the ball eden included. Once the team is up to speed with the pressing and attacking movements he will be fine

youmeletsfly

Maybe Sarri could swap Kante and Jorgingo and give Jorginho a licence to attack?
As far as I could see today, Jorginho's passing is alright, quite good, but I don't really like his balance and his first touch. I don't think he's technical enough to play a more advanced role. Actually, Kante looks better with the ball at his feet.

Added to that, Jorginho seems pretty slow to me.

MadMike

I said it before he arrived, he doesn't have the physicality for the premier league. He lacks stamina, strength and pace. Bad combination for this league

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
There are hipsters around here who think Jorginho is having a better season than Pogba :lol:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Who thinks that?
Go look up this thread, there was a resident Arsenal fan who named 7-8 mids in PL alone who were having a better season than Pogba, one of them was Jorginho :lol: