José Mourinho | 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyeInTheSky

Boring football is shite and it does a lot of harm. Another piece of shite is giving up on the league for 2 seasons in a row. A toothless loss to Sevilla is another sackable offence. Not being able to get the best out of players (both old and new ones) is another indicator that can not compete properly neither in the prem nor in europe. He needs to deliver during his reign and deliver big. So far on both biggest stages he crumbled.
you complete and utter fecking melon.

Kapardin

Klopp or Poch. My reasoning being that we want to go for complete and utter losers in management as opposed to a global serial winner who has won 2 trophies out of 3 finals for us in 2 years. Winning, who the feck wants that?
Jose has a lot to prove and can't rest on past glories. EL and LC credit ran out with the Sevilla game.

Style of play - I am okay with shite football in cup competitions where only a win on the day is important. But over a 38 game league season, playing tumescent football in the league is not acceptable even if we win the fecking league that way. Football's more than just winning, its about entertainment too.

EyeInTheSky

Jose has a lot to prove and can't rest on past glories. EL and LC credit ran out with the Sevilla game.

Style of play - I am okay with shite football in cup competitions where only a win on the day is important. But over a 38 game league season, playing tumescent football in the league is not acceptable even if we win the fecking league that way. Football's more than just winning, its about entertainment too.
"Past glories". You mean the ones he's just one? Well, he is at a disadvantage compared to Klopp and Poch since they can't rest on their past glories because one has won the square root of feck all and the other one won a cup 10 years ago or so.

Your narrative about "shite football" is shite in itself. No matter how many times a loud minority try and portrait the football as shite for every game it won't make it true. Every team has played shite football on occasion. Its the nature of the beast.

This season with the recent and forthcoming additions alongside Sanchez starting a full season with us will be the deciding factor in challenging for the league again after finishing 2nd and comfortably ahead of the apparently better managers and teams despite Jose being so shite.

Kapardin

"Past glories". You mean the ones he's just one? Well, he is at a disadvantage compared to Klopp and Poch since they can't rest on their past glories because one has won the square root of feck all and the other one won a cup 10 years ago or so.

Your narrative about "shite football" is shite in itself. No matter how many times a loud minority try and portrait the football as shite for every game it won't make it true. Every team has played shite football on occasion. Its the nature of the beast.

This season with the recent and forthcoming additions alongside Sanchez starting a full season with us will be the deciding factor in challenging for the league again after finishing 2nd and comfortably ahead of the apparently better managers and teams despite Jose being so shite.
Never said Klopp and Poch were better. Agree with you on that.

But regarding shite football, yes, every team plays badly at times. But for us, its 3/4ths of every season. Personnel not good enough + manager's tactics are at fault.

I don't fault your optimism though. I hope what you say comes true but as of now, I see us finishing 4th or 5th playing dour football.

AndyJ1985

The narrative of us playing shite football hasn't been invented by a loud minority. It was there for all to see. Even commentators and pundits were mentioning it last season. BBC live text feeds even mocked us for it. We play terribly boring football, that's a fact.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Unfortunately, that narrative is objectively true. We did look decent at times in the first half of the season but got worse as the season went on and from January to the end of the season played football that was almost as flat and devoid of ideas as we saw under Van Gaal. And it's the fact we finished the season looking worse than we did at the beginning that's the biggest concern here.

Minimalist

Yeah, everyone's wrong but you. This is 'top red' delusion at it's finest.

vanderpants

Dead man walking come Christmas is my bet. City and the dippers will be above us , not sure about chelsea or spurs but with the current squad and his same tactics as last last season I think I few people will be in for a shock.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The cnut is being paid about £200k a week. The least he could do is put a fecking smile on his face.

AlwaysRed66

If Mourinho goes, Conte would/should be the obvious replacement.
What more negative football. When will it end. Man Utd needs a manager who play free flowing football, for what we are known for, & what Poch/Guardiola/Klopp currently provide.

Water Melon

you complete and utter fecking melon.
Glory to all the water melons! They are fecking and utter great, especially during those frying summer days. Move your eyes from the sky to the football pitch and you will see what is going on in reality. Dreaming of the past or future does not help. The reality is what matters. And the reality is that Jose failed spectacularly both in the league and CL with us.

EyeInTheSky

Never said Klopp and Poch were better. Agree with you on that.

But regarding shite football, yes, every team plays badly at times. But for us, its 3/4ths of every season. Personnel not good enough + manager's tactics are at fault.

I don't fault your optimism though. I hope what you say comes true but as of now, I see us finishing 4th or 5th playing dour football.
I would say more cautious optimism for me. I don;t agree with the 3/4ths of the season being shite football. If next season I don't see certain improvements in certain facets of the game I will be as fecked off as anyone. I just realise how far off we were when he got here with players who were shite under SAF that it took a while to shift them off and get adequate quality in their place. I also understand that if state oil backed clubs spend billions and finish on record points then there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. If we get 90-95 points next season but club x,y,z get 100 then it would be obscene to say it was a bad season or manager x,y,z should be sacked. I don't think you are making this argument but allot are.

EyeInTheSky

Unfortunately, that narrative is objectively true. We did look decent at times in the first half of the season but got worse as the season went on and from January to the end of the season played football that was almost as flat and devoid of ideas as we saw under Van Gaal. And it's the fact we finished the season looking worse than we did at the beginning that's the biggest concern here.
Yes, we got worse I am not arguing that. There are objective reasons for that in losing key players at the crucial time the main one being Pogba who was great before his long injury and he struggled to get back on form and fitness. Hopefully, because he finished off on a high by lifting the WC it is a sign that he is back in his stride and we have the extra dimension we were missing in Fred and perhaps a few more signings!

EyeInTheSky

Yeah, everyone's wrong but you. This is 'top red' delusion at it's finest.
Please provide me with the data where everyone says we played shite for all of the season or 3/4 of the season.

I look forward to your nothingness response. "Top red" comment just proves what I said about the virulent negative agenda melts.

feck off to ignore

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
That settles it then. Thats a facccccht.
Only the most delusional supporter would think otherwise.

The football we played for the vast majority of last season was absolutely horrendous. That is not disputable.

Borden

:lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is miserable. That's not news. It's his toughest test yet. Hope is excels .

Canagel

If Mourinho goes, Conte would/should be the obvious replacement.
No way. Did you watch Chelsea go to the Etihad and park the bus? No way should we appoint another defensive pragmatic manager. Enough of those. Need to look to the future. Although I have to say Conte was let down in the transfer market and perhaps if he'd got his targets Chelsea would've played much better football last season. At United he would have more freedom to buy his own players without being undermined. But I'd rather look elsewhere before considering him. Jardim, Allegri, Zidane those are the names we should consider if it goes tits up with Mourinho this season.

Greck

Not sure how anyone can say the awful footie we displayed last season was a myth

Andersons Dietician

Please provide me with the data where everyone says we played shite for all of the season or 3/4 of the season.

I look forward to your nothingness response. "Top red" comment just proves what I said about the virulent negative agenda melts.

feck off to ignore
Can you provide the data with the portion of the fan base that were happy with how we played. I know most of my mates from neutrals to rivals thought it was dire. The general theme on here seemed that of its boring rubbish football with the pro Jose crowd adding but we are winning. There were also many lines along the lines of “I don’t care how we play as long as we win”

So I mean it certainly seems like pro and anti Jose seemed to share a belief that the football was lacklustre boring rubbish.

This is like one of those circles of death that will continue to go round and around, personal view anyone who didn’t think the football last year was dross either needs their eyes checked or they are lying to themselves.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
To say that your opinion on the standard of football is objectively true is something.

An objective stance would be based on objective metrics

To say that we were anywhere near an LVG side is objectively false.

15/16 vs 17/18 in the league

Shots per game:
11 vs 13.5

Goals per game:
1.23 vs 1.78

Points per game:
1.73 vs 2.13

Dribbles per game:
9.8 vs 12.3

Key passes per game:
8.2 vs 9.9

xG per game:
1.18 vs 1.55

We are a team that have improved 20%+ in every area of the game since the LVG days, except for possession stats which are meaningless on their own unless you come from the cult of possession football.

AndyJ1985

To say that your opinion on the standard of football is objectively true is something.

Shots per game:
11 vs 13.5

Goals per game:
1.23 vs 1.78

Points per game:
1.73 vs 2.13

Dribbles per game:
9.8 vs 12.3

Key passes per game:
8.2 vs 9.9

xG per game:
1.18 vs 1.55

We are a team that have improved 20%+ in every area of the game since the LVG days, except for possession stats which are meaningless on their own unless you come from the cult of possession football.
Stats have absolutely nothing to do with the style o our football and what people find entertaining.

EyeInTheSky

Can you provide the data with the portion of the fan base that were happy with how we played. I know most of my mates from neutrals to rivals thought it was dire. The general theme on here seemed that of its boring rubbish football with the pro Jose crowd adding but we are winning. There were also many lines along the lines of “I don’t care how we play as long as we win”

So I mean it certainly seems like pro and anti Jose seemed to share a belief that the football was lacklustre boring rubbish.

This is like one of those circles of death that will continue to go round and around, personal view anyone who didn’t think the football last year was dross either needs their eyes checked or they are lying to themselves.
I'm not one trying to prove a subjective opinion as fact with made up numbers or my idiot mates who agree with me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Shots per game:
11 vs 13.5

Goals per game:
1.23 vs 1.78

Points per game:
1.73 vs 2.13

Dribbles per game:
9.8 vs 12.3

Key passes per game:
8.2 vs 9.9

xG per game:
1.18 vs 1.55

We’re clearly better than Van Gaal. But that’s a ludicrously low bar. Have you got stats vs Moyes too?!?

You’re also looking at the season as a whole. I’m willing to bet the stats for second half of the season look a lot less flattering. And that was when we were at our most objectively bad.

EyeInTheSky

Shots per game:
11 vs 13.5

Goals per game:
1.23 vs 1.78

Points per game:
1.73 vs 2.13

Dribbles per game:
9.8 vs 12.3

Key passes per game:
8.2 vs 9.9

xG per game:
1.18 vs 1.55

Now we only have the we "were shite every single game" argument.

We also lost a lot of steam after key injuries with Pogba out long term when he hit his stride and the running out of motivation once the title was well out of site.

Andersons Dietician

Your narrative about "shite football" is shite in itself. No matter how many times a loud majority try and portrait the football as shite for every game it won't make it true. Every team has played shite football on occasion. Its the nature of the beast.
Fixed this sentence.

I'm not one trying to prove a subjective opinion as fact with made up numbers or my idiot mates who agree with me.
If the Majority claim it was dross for most of the season then most likely it was dross. If you enjoyed it that is really all that matters, I’m sure there is a very small minority that did, just the same as there is a small minority of people that like to take cheese grinders to their testicles. Each to their own.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We’re clearly better than Van Gaal. But that’s a ludicrously low bar. Have you got stats vs Moyes too?!?

You’re also looking at the season as a whole. I’m willing to bet the stats for second half of the season look a lot less flattering. And that was when we were at our most objectively bad.
I'm not sure how I can get some of these stats for a specific part of the season because it'd be a complete ball ache. But I'll try my best.

Second half of 17/18

Goals per game: 1.42 (15% better)

Points per game: 2.05 (18% better)

xG per game: 1.30 (10% better)

Shots per game: 12 (9% better)

So that argument still doesn't hold true. xG is an all encompassing stat for chance creation (quantity and quality). So we were effectively 10% better going forward in the second half of 17/18 than the shitshow that was 15/16.

An objectively stance on how we were is a top team in the first half of the season and a functional team grinding out wins in the 2nd half of the season. So basically Chelsea 14/15 except the title was lost very early so the players saw no point in grinding out wins and were no shows against relegation fodder and only showed up against big teams (we beat every team in the top 6 in the 2nd half of 17/18).

EyeInTheSky

Fixed this sentence.

If the Majority claim it was dross for most of the season then most likely it was dross. If you enjoyed it that is really all that matters, I’m sure there is a very small minority that did, just the same as there is a small minority of people that like to take cheese grinders to their testicles. Each to their own.
I enjoyed a lot of games, especially where we beat all of the top 6 sides which was a welcome change for even times under SAF towards the end. I did not enjoy other games where we were very poor. I just don't choose to paint a false narrative because of a lack of reasoning or rationally based on emotions or insidious agendas.

Allot of posters on here don't bother arguing with the usual gang of moaners and wums which gives a false impression that everyone agrees with them. It just takes a lot more energy to mod the forum or respond to distilled negativity then it does to post it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm not sure how I can get some of these stats for a specific part of the season because it'd be a complete ball ache. But I'll try my best.

Second half of 17/18

Goals per game: 1.42 (15% better)

Points per game: 2.05 (18% better)

xG per game: 1.30 (10% better)

Shots per game: 12 (9% better)

So that argument still doesn't hold true. xG is an all encompassing stat for chance creation (quantity and quality). So we were effectively 10% better going forward in the second half of 17/18 than the shitshow that was 15/16.

An objectively stance on how we were is a top team in the first half of the season and a functional team grinding out wins in the 2nd half of the season. So basically Chelsea 14/15 except the title was lost very early so the players saw no point in grinding out wins and were no shows against relegation fodder and only showed up against big teams (we beat every team in the top 6 in the 2nd half of 17/18).
Well, exactly. Within 10% of the most tumescent, soul-destroying shit show I can remember in 30+ years watching this club. Aka objectively bad.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Well, exactly. Within 10% of the most tumescent, soul-destroying shit show I can remember in 30+ years watching this club. Aka objectively bad.
No that is not objectively bad. 10% is a massive difference in those statistical measures.

United and Chelsea were the least attacking of the top 6 teams, but both were considerably better than LVG's team. LVG's attacking intent was statistically on the same level as relegation fodder.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
was there a single game you enjoyed under LVG? For me, it was the first part of the Leicester away game and then it all turned to shite.
Yeah, that was the beginning of the end. I’m possibly getting seasons one and two mixed up but that was in season two, right? We had a few good games in season one. Comfortably beating Spurs and Liverpool would be two high points. Bearing in mind how awful that whole reign was it’s incredibly depressing to think we haven’t really racked up many more comprehensive wins against big teams under Mourinho yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.