g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

José Mourinho | 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno

The day Mourinho leads us back to 5th or 6th place in the league, I will agree with the Antni-Mourinho brigade that he needs to go. If the results are poor and the football is boring, then he's not offering anything.

But

When he has just taken us to 80 points / 2nd place in the PL and 3 cup finals? Very poor form from some fans, and it's creating an incredibly toxic environment on here.

It actually feels like some fans want United to lose games so they can get a new guy in and play attractive football again.

Tottenham play attractive football and where are they? Europa.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

The day Mourinho leads us to 5th or 6th place in the league, I will agree with the Antni-Mourinho brigade that he needs to go. If the results are poor and the football is boring, then he's not offering anything.

But

When he has just taken us to 80 points / 2nd place in the PL and 3 cup finals? Very poor form from some fans, and it's creating an incredibly toxic environment on here.

It actually feels like some fans want United to lose games so they can get a new guy in and play attractive football again.

Have you wiped out 2016-2017 from your memory?

Jonno

Have you wiped out 2016-2017 from your memory?
Have you wiped 2017-18 from your memory? Spot the trajectory my friend. The day he takes us from 2nd to 6th, I'll want him out.

So why the hate when he takes us from 5-6th to 2nd?

We also won a european cup and rested half our team in the last few PL games.

Eddy_JukeZ

Have you wiped 2017-18 from your memory? Spot the trajectory my friend. The day he takes us from 2nd to 6th, I'll want him out.

So why the hate when he takes us from 5-6th to 2nd?

We also won a european cup and rested half our team in the last few PL games.
No, I acknowledge we made progress, but he did lead us to 6th too.

theREDMAN

I know it is a pre-season friendly but it is still so annoying when Jose does not play players in their best positions. Why Andreas is playing as the holding def mid is beyond me when he doesn't play there at any of the places he goes on loan where he plays in attack or as a 10. I would have rather seen Scott tried there and Andreas a little further forward because Scott moves the ball so slow. Why not try Timbo in that DM role? Axel as a CB or RB? Bring on Angel earlier and see how he would do. We already know what to expect from Juan and Ander and we do not ever need to see Darmian again. Tonight was the night to do it simply because we will be playing better teams going forward.

Jonno

We came into the season with title aspirations and we finished 6th.

It was a terrible league campaign.
Did you see the squad he inherited, that was never, ever a title contending squad. It was the worst in my lifetime. We're still shovelling some of the sh!te out of our door now, and likely next summer too.

Eddy_JukeZ

Did you see the squad he inherited, that was never, ever a title contending squad. It was the worst in my lifetime. We're still shovelling some of the sh!te out of our door now, and likely next summer too.
He made 4 signings and said we're going for the title.

Once results started going against us, he backed off.

Jonno

He made 4 signings and said we're going for the title.

Once results started going against us, he backed off.
He said something of the lines of, I've come here to win.

He would be a bit foolish to say anything other than that.

I hoped for a title challenge, but I didn't expect one. You can't win a PL with Rooney, Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlain as your CM's, with Blind and Darmian as your wing backs. I could go on.

Moving on, my point remains. Why all the hate for taking us beyond the 80 point mark and to 2nd place?

meamth

Agreed. First season with a decent squad and a couple of big signings won't fix LVG's ugly stamp.

He wanted to win, but the league is a marathon and he lost it early, didn't blame him. So he focus on Europa to save our season, which he won easily.

Then from there he build on and we got the 2nd season with progess. Being 2nd and the main title challenger until Christmas is okay. At least we have secured champions league spot by then.

He is doing fine, I enjoyed last season coupled with some disappointments when we failed to deliver when it matters. The failure to beat inferior PL sides and that Sevilla game was the only down for me.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Why are you acting like something is wrong by the fans who are worried about Marcus Rashford?

Rashford under LVG broke through & showed a level of consistency at playing a simple type of football where he was predominantly a clinical finisher much more than a forward who was asked to dribble. He consistently found him self at the right place at the right time; having the ability to score tap ins whilst occasionally able to beat a man or two at the very max.

Fast forward to Jose & what happens? He is (alongside martial) instantly dropped from a CF replaced by an ageing Ibrahinpvic & later Lukaku both being played as target men in a 4231 - whilst we may have improved points earned; considering we have yet to win anything that's worth our club history then some of us would have rather celebrated a player like Rashford & Martial coming of age & experience in positions that made them players with high expectations & quality before the arrival of Jose mourinho.

Since this is particularly about Rashford - there has been a fundamental change in the players level of impact, the players understanding & manipulation of playing within his best position, the players role & utilisation by the manager in charge.

Has Rashford got any chance of being José's central striker? No chance unless the boy takes steroids because the last time Jose used a permanent CF upfront that isn't a target man in a 4231 was back at Porto. What happens when Rashford does get a occasional charity game to play upfront? Football is played to him the same way Jose asks the team to play around Lukaku. It just won't work. What's worse is that the guy is so significantly rusty upfront that he isn't even that good enough to make a change now from the most simple of chances - the type of chances he was clinical under LVG. Whilst Rashford had the ability to occasionally take on his man to resemble a similarity to Ronaldo 9; he also showed the finer ability to do the simple stuff like Inzaghi - that's something significant he has lost since his management has changed.

Now instead of that the guy is taking free kicks & corners even though he legitamely doesn't have the finesse to cross the ball as a winger; never mind a set piece taker. Never mind arguing about martial but why is Rashford a winger right now? I understand unlike martial that Rashford grew up younger as a winger - but hardly any fans expected him to break through & impress as a winger - not many fans expected anything of him. LVG's chose him to play upfront after an injury & ultimately impressed with a level of consistency that was good for his age. He seemed to be one of our main strikers of the future. Fast forward 2 years with Jose we have 2 wingers talked about combinations of their raw ability to be winger, their work ethic, their attacking capabilities & more importantly their defensive capabilities - all the stuff we expect from a striker is not being used to compare Rashford & Martial's improvement - instead we have 2 damn wingers playing in the same ppsition also.

Due to José's inability to be flexible & analyse his squad before creating the formation & tactics that suit them to achievessomething beautiful yet successful - instead we get him trying to create his standard 4231 & buying players that purely match that formation by turning this in to his Chelsea v3 by even buying some of their previous players. Why do I bring this up? Because ultimately Rashford ( & martial) to Jose represents tactically a player more of the ilk of schrulle, duff, Robben, pandev, Di Maria than Central strikers. However that is purely because Rashford & Martial are not José's type of strikers like benni McCarthy,milit0, Drogba, ibrahinpvic & Lukaku. That is wrong.

Has there been even been one impressive full 90 mins by Rashford out wide? The guy looks absolutely average & worse than wellbeck out wide.
And if he played an inconsistent 19 year old up front, as his main striker, who is not exactly the greatest finisher in the world, with all the pressure that comes with leading the line at the biggest club in the world, you'd be moaning about him not buying a striker. The fact you say he doesn't have the ability to take set pieces or cross the ball, as you point out, is really on him, not Mourinho or LvG :D

I'm not acting as if anything is wrong. I'm just stating the fact that the goalposts always shift when debating a topic in relation to Mourinho, when it's someone who hates him is holding the floor. Which is true!
Very few people appear to be able to give a balanced view of things when it comes to his time here.

What's wrong with having strikers like Ibrahimovic and Lukaku and Drogba?
Pretty big call to be dissing the likes of them, saying having them as strikers is wrong :eek:

Team anti Mou bringing great players of the modern game into disrupte. Very sad to see :(

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Was he ill in the post match interview? That is the most tired I have ever seen him

Smores

City can do 100 pts, it is absolutely expectable of us under Mou to stay at least relevant in the title race until March, instead of taking our pants off and bending over before Christmas. The mere fact that Pool managed to kick them out of CL and reach CL finals while finishing below us in the league shows that City are not something unimaginable and immaculate. The main difference are the coaches and their approach to the game which shows both in the Prem as well as CL. Now stick your bollocks up your arse, and get used to the idea that City are here to stay for a while and ut is up to Mou to catch them. So far, during his time with United, he has been much inferior to both Conte and Pep.
We only played them twice and won one of those, whether Liverpool beating them shows they're immaculate or not is irrelevant as we have no influence on what other teams do against them to 100pt.

If your logic is that because Liverpool beat them they can't be that good therefore we should matxh their league performance well that's stupid. 100pts is a ridiculous expectation full stop.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
:lol:

Complaining about a pre season friendly with half the squad missing. This place...

Fluctuation0161

The day Mourinho leads us back to 5th or 6th place in the league, I will agree with the Antni-Mourinho brigade that he needs to go. If the results are poor and the football is boring, then he's not offering anything.

But

Yep. I tend to agree but will withhold any serious judgment until this coming season. No point in being overly critical or mashing big changes when you consider the scale of the job Jose took on.

There are many entitled knee jerkers I this thread!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
As someone who's backed Jose constantly until very recently, it's at this point I question whether he'll be here in a season's time.

I can't see much changing now, particularly our approach which is what needs changing the most for us to move forward.
I hope I'm wrong and we see something more positive from him.

Litch

As someone who's backed Jose constantly until very recently, it's at this point I question whether he'll be here in a season's time.

I can't see much changing now, particularly our approach which is what needs changing the most for us to move forward.
I hope I'm wrong and we see something more positive from him.
I have to agree. The man's negativity is strangling the life out this club. Watched the interview after the game and asked about Chong, rather than just going with the positive, he has to find something negative to also say.

El Zoido

He must be seething at the lack of movement in the transfer market. When we hit trouble in the league next season he’ll attack the club for not landing his targets.

.Rossi

I see some supporters have twisted his words on Chong..

"Ugh he's saying he's too young to be playing first team football for United" (Even though he didn't actually say that)
"Sack him now the miserable cnut!"
"This club's success was born out of promoting youth players to the first team! Sack him now!"

I say promote everyone under the age of 18 so. Perfect tonic for instant success and flowing, exciting football! We're coming for you, Pep!

It's become toxic following the club these days...

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Now I'm obviously not yet in the "past it" brigade, but kind of weird how the first thing Jose mentions while giving an opinion on each player, physicality comes first. When criticizing Sterling and praising Perisic, this was a theme too even though you could find numerous other reasons for either the criticism or the praise. Now with Chong, too. It's a bit like he's becoming even more conservative in his approach as a reaction to his relatively low success era after the Porto, Chelsea and Inter days.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Now I'm obviously not yet in the "past it" brigade, but kind of weird how the first thing Jose mentions while giving an opinion on each player, physicality comes first. When criticizing Sterling and praising Perisic, this was a theme too even though you could find numerous other reasons for either the criticism or the praise. Now with Chong, too. It's a bit like he's becoming even more conservative in his approach as a reaction to his relatively low success era after the Porto, Chelsea and Inter days.
There was nothing wrong with what he said about Chong, first thing he mentioned about Chong was his technical ability and tactical understanding.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I see some supporters have twisted his words on Chong..

"Ugh he's saying he's too young to be playing first team football for United" (Even though he didn't actually say that)
"Sack him now the miserable cnut!"
"This club's success was born out of promoting youth players to the first team! Sack him now!"

I say promote everyone under the age of 18 so. Perfect tonic for instant success and flowing, exciting football! We're coming for you, Pep!

It's become toxic following the club these days...
Everyone and their mother knew the club would become toxic at the appointment of José. He divides fanbases like no other and we predicted this would happen.

Even though I'm José out and went on last year, I'm not going to bother talking about him much more anymore. As you know, it's just not time well spent.

littlepeasoup

People twisting words to suit their own agenda is really starting to grate, tbh. Jose is not perfect, I don't think even his most staunch defenders would agree that, but he could literally say the sky is blue and people would be complaining that he didn't talk about the clouds.

.Rossi

Everyone and their mother knew the club would become toxic at the appointment of José. He divides fanbases like no other and we predicted this would happen.

Even though I'm José out and went on last year, I'm not going to bother talking about him much more anymore. As you know, it's just not time well spent.
You're right, it's not time well spent. I'm neither a Mourinho lover or Mourinho hater. I'm firmly on the fence going into this season. But, some of the arguments are shocking. Some of them just reek of the self entitled spoilt mentality the Fergie era brought.

Having said that, it was becoming toxic when LvG was still here. There are still people out there who want him back at the club

People twisting words to suit their own agenda is really starting to grate, tbh. Jose is not perfect, I don't think even his most staunch defenders would agree that, but he could literally say the sky is blue and people would be complaining that he didn't talk about the clouds.
This!

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Some of the reaction is over the top but at the same time Mourinho just doesn’t really give off a positive exciting vibe anymore, I’m not quite sure why but it’s just not right. Hopefully we get off to a good start and the players can step up but I’d honestly be surprised if we do much better than last season, looking at things as they are now.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Well said!

Aloysius's Back 3

Hopefully the last couple of months of the guy - has been a failure so far with a marginal improvement. His management of my club makes me feel like being forced to be in a marriage & not being able to divorce. I don't hope that he gets better, treats me or my kids better - the damage is done & I just wait for the oppurtunity that I can say that he is gone & in the past.

Big Andy

Bloke
Some of the reaction is over the top but at the same time Mourinho just doesn’t really give off a positive exciting vibe anymore, I’m not quite sure why but it’s just not right. Hopefully we get off to a good start and the players can step up but I’d honestly be surprised if we do much better than last season, looking at things as they are now.
He doesn’t give off a positive vibe IN PRESS CONFERENCES!!! I reckon in training he’s not walking round with a big thunder cloud just following him, and when he goes near people they don’t instantly start getting depressed and crying...

People in this thread need to fecking grow up...

SirAF

Ageist
He doesn’t give off a positive vibe IN PRESS CONFERENCES!!! I reckon in training he’s not walking round with a big thunder cloud just following him, and when he goes near people they don’t instantly start getting depressed and crying...

This :lol:

SirAF

Ageist
Hopefully the last couple of months of the guy - has been a failure so far with a marginal improvement. His management of my club makes me feel like being forced to be in a marriage & not being able to divorce. I don't hope that he gets better, treats me or my kids better - the damage is done & I just wait for the oppurtunity that I can say that he is gone & in the past.
Disgusting attitude for a United fan. If Mourinho gets the sack that will only be because of a lack of results - wanting Mourinho to be sacked = wanting your own club to lose.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

:lol:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Disgusting attitude for a United fan. If Mourinho gets the sack that will only be because of a lack of results - wanting Mourinho to be sacked = wanting your own club to lose.
Some of this lot would rather see Mourinho fail than United to win. :houllier:

Luke1995

It does feel like he is in a confort zone. He's conquered Italy and Spain, it's not like he hasn't conquered England before and he already won the Champions League

I mean, maybe he just isn't as ambitious as Ferguson was. Either that or the game has passed him by (although to a smaller degree than it did with Wenger) and he can't evolve and adapt.

Conte is available in the market and if he doesn't take a job this season and Mourinho fails again (In winning PL or CL) the board will absolutely consider Conte.

I hope Mourinho knows what he's doing though, there's nothing I want more than titles and I'm willing to believe in him again.

SirAF

Ageist
Not this rubbish again, people don't want us to lose, they want us to play better football, that's all.
The only way Mourinho will get the sack is if the results are not coming, by virtue of that hoping for Mourinho to lose his job = hoping that United does not win trophies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Not this rubbish again, people don't want us to lose, they want us to play better football, that's all.
@SirAF hit the nail on the head. People saying they want him gone by Christmas or at the end of the season are basically saying they hope United fail because that's the only way the manager gets sacked.

C'est Moi Cantona

The only way Mourinho will get the sack is if the results are not coming, by virtue of that hoping for Mourinho to lose his job = hoping that United does not win trophies.
Well more fool the United hierarchy then, if the style is the same as last season then he needs to go imo, no matter where we finish.

Laurentiu amt

It s kinda simple. Uk fans are loyal and don t feking care how we win the epl, it s just about winning it.
European fans want the team to play top quality football.

Thing with Jose now is that we re not getting the first nor the second and the fans are pretty divided. Chelsea and Pool making some moves in the market doesn t help either.

We ve had 3 managers in 5 years, all of them having a similar crop of players at their disposal.(in terms of quality). For me this rings a bell, we don t need a new coach, we need some good damn well established and mature players coming in, disregarding their price. You think jose doesn t know Smalling, shaw, mata, valencia, jones, felli are bang average players? I think the problem is Ed and the lack of.moneysssss actually, not Jose.

SirAF

Ageist
Well more fool the United hierarchy then, if the style is the same as last season then he needs to go imo, no matter where we finish.
Nonsense. Results will always be king, and rightfully so. If he fails to challenge for the title then he’s on life support - a proper title challenge or title win and he’s safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.