Jose Antonio Reyes killed in car accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Loads of other people died in car crashes as well. I really hate this faux sadness for footballers.

It's tragic. But not as tragic as Any one else that has lost their life.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Very grim news.

He was one of three incredibly talented Spanish wingers who came to the fore in early 00s. Joaquin (still playing aswell) and Vicente the othe two. All three had excellent careers although maybe not quite reached the elite level expected for a few reasons.

Have to say given he was still only 35 you forget how young Reyes was when he actually signed for Arsenal. He started off very well there before tailing off in the next 18 months and was pretty unsettled off the pitch.

I haven't checked the years he played at Espanyol but did Pochettino manage him at all? That will affect him a bit in the build to tonight's final.

Awful tragedy. Another player from Seville taken far too young like Puerta who died of a heart attack on the pitch all those years ago.

JohnnyKills

Imagine this has been posted earlier but Spanish media claim he was driving over 200kph (about 120-125mph).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I met him once in Brent Cross.

Was with his wife but was still happy to take time to chat with me and my mate who was an Arsenal fan.

Seemed like a genuine nice guy. Will be missed.

RIP
Did he speak much English? He struggled to settle in London, think he said in one of the interviews coming from Seville to London it was too much of a culture shock it getting dark at 5 and all the shops shutting at that time.

He moved to Arsenal at a very young age, had a good career in La Liga after moving back.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Loads of other people died in car crashes as well. I really hate this faux sadness for footballers.

Of course not. But in this world his name is more widely known than the majority so of course people will feel a distant connection having watched him play live or indeed support one of the teams he played for.

Same when Jloyld Samuel also died in a car accident this time last year.

galwayfa

They do and people are sorry for it, a well known person is why it's in here.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Some more news has come out about the accident and it seems his 23 year old cousin and a friend of his also died with him:( Wish all their families well.

We need an rvn

Oh think before you post will you ffs.

Yes, lots of people die on a daily basis that we'll never hear of and it's just as tragic for their family as it is for Reyes', no one disputes that at all and every death affects families and friends. We all know that so why come on here to say that?

But when a celebrity dies - be it actor, footballer, musician etc - they have brought happiness to so many people that other folk haven't, to the point where it's public news and people feel a need to say something and share a memory etc. There's just no need to come on a thread about someone who just died to say he's no different to anyone else in my opinion.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Tragic. RIP.

He was a great individual talent that for reason never truly gelled with Arsenal, Atletico or Spain, but was a Top technical player, very fast too. And let's not forget the fact that he actually was part of the 03-04 Invincibles squad. Or the 2006-07 Madrid Liga champions.

Don't speed up mates, it's not worth it. Stuff like that will kill you.

DRM

What an incredibly crass post.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
its Sad but no sympathy from me that’s the consequences of speeding I’m afraid.

Anybody that thinks it’s cool to speed if they end up crashing and dying then they’ve nobody to blame but themselves. His family deserve sympathy not him. Sad accident but completely avoidable.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

No one said it was, but many people will have ‘known’ him/known of him for 15+ years. Is it really a surprise when it strikes a chord with people?

SirAF

Ageist

Anybody that thinks it’s cool to speed if they end up crashing and dying then they’ve nobody to blame but themselves. His family deserve sympathy not him. Sad accident but completely avoidable.
Has the cause been made known?

We need an rvn

Is that what happened? Was it speeding? Was Reyes driving or his cousin or friend? Did they swerve to avoid an obstacle or another car in their lane by mistake and they were driving safely?

I completely agree speeding is a killer but don't you think there are so many questions you've completely jumped the gun on here?

sammyk123

Did he speak much English? He struggled to settle in London, think he said in one of the interviews coming from Seville to London it was too much of a culture shock it getting dark at 5 and all the shops shutting at that time.

He moved to Arsenal at a very young age, had a good career in La Liga after moving back.
He spoke English fairly well from what I can remember.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal

I’m sad when anyone I know or know of dies young like that. If for example you died in an accident and it was posted here I would feel sad that someone from the forum had passed.

montpelier

Well, I'm a bit taken aback by the extent of the love for him on here. None of you are ''top reds'' that's for sure, :D.

I'll just say it like that because anything else/more is going to look a bit naff in the circumstances.

I mean he only played 69 games in English football for a massively disliked rival of ours (you would have thought). Although he was from what I remember massively hyped by Arsenal supporters - almost to a ridiculous extent. (like they do)

And he was a proper cheaty jessie on the park - from the 'top red' perspective previously mentioned.

I wouldn't let most of you even post here if it was up to me.

How good was he back in Spanish football anyway? Does someone want to tell me about that?

His pre Arsenal stats look significantly better than when he returned to me. Won a decent amount of medals mind, by any standards.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Is that what happened? Was it speeding? Was Reyes driving or his cousin or friend? Did they swerve to avoid an obstacle or another car in their lane by mistake and they were driving safely?

I completely agree speeding is a killer but don't you think there are so many questions you've completely jumped the gun on here?
He was driving his car at 200kph when the limit is 120kph. So no, he wasn't driving safely and whether he had to swerve or avoid something is irrelevant. Car ablaze, instant death for all but his cousin who died a couple of hours later.

Mentioned it earlier, it doesn't take away from people reminiscing on him as a player, but let's be honest: if he ran over someone and he didn't die himself we would all be crying bloody murder.

RIP either way.

JohnnyKills

Spanish press say it could be excessive speed. His car left the road and spun for a fair distance so imagine he was going at speed.

Still massively sad though - remember him as a kid at Arsenal and it feels like 5 minutes ago.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
A bit off topic, but somewhat related: was only thinking last week how safe the roads in Spain seem, compared to the US.
The stats back it up too, but then this... sad.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Well, I'm a bit taken aback by the extent of the love for him on here. None of you are ''top reds'' that's for sure, :D.

I'll just say it like that because anything else/more is going to look a bit naff in the circumstances.

I mean he only played 69 games in English football for a massively disliked rival of ours (you would have thought). Although he was from what I remember massively hyped by Arsenal supporters - almost to a ridiculous extent. (like they do)

And he was a proper cheaty jessie on the park - from the 'top red' perspective previously mentioned.

I wouldn't let most of you even post here if it was up to me.

How good was he back in Spanish football anyway? Does someone want to tell me about that?

His pre Arsenal stats look significantly better than when he returned to me. Won a decent amount of medals mind, by any standards.
To be fair, I remember there was some episode with him missing Spain, his mum being taken for a ride by some "clever" journalists, his gypsy links being used to run him down. I had grown to dislike him purely for tribal reasons, but had a lot of sympathy for him after that. It just made you think of him as a human being, if you know what I mean.

PS: Or maybe I was just happy to see him leaving :wenger:

JohnnyKills

A bit off topic, but somewhat related: was only thinking last week how safe the roads in Spain seem, compared to the US.
The stats back it up too, but then this... sad.
Loads of people speed though. People I know regularly top 100mph even when they've had a drink. Drives me mad. In Andorra (just north of Catalonia) they're genuinely crazy.

If you want to speed, go to a fecking track. Don't put your and other people's lives at risk.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Loads of people speed though. People I know regularly top 100kph even when they've had a drink. Drives me mad. In Andorra (just north of Catalonia) they're genuinely crazy.
100 kph is nothing dude, usually its passing speed in the city, unless you meant mph.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Shit :(Very silky footballer and a very young man. I mean 35 is no age at all is it? Thoughts go out to his family.

montpelier

To be fair, I remember there was some episode with him missing Spain, his mum being taken for a ride by some "clever" journalists, his gypsy links being used to run him down. I had grown to dislike him purely for tribal reasons, but had a lot of sympathy for him after that. It just made you think of him as a human being, if you know what I mean.
Yes. I think I do know what you mean. That's a good point.

Reyes vs. Ronaldo was a bit of 'a thing' as a subplot in the Utd/Arse rivalry too. To raise his personality/profile above where it might be at Leeds/Newcastle whatever.

We need an rvn

He was driving his car at 200kph when the limit is 120kph. So no, he wasn't driving safely and whether he had to swerve or avoid something is irrelevant. Car ablaze, instant death for all but his cousin who died a couple of hours later.

Mentioned it earlier, it doesn't take away from people reminiscing on him as a player, but let's be honest: if he ran over someone and he didn't die himself we would all be crying bloody murder.

RIP either way.
To be fair the info coming out now i wasn't aware of when I posted and if true then I'll take my statement back.

Still think some posts are just not needed when someone dies no matter what the incident.

beedoubleyou

Where was he trying to shop? The Post Office?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

Sorry guys im currently on holiday in Spain and from What I can gather all the press here say he was indeed speeding.

We need an rvn

Sorry guys im currently on holiday in Spain and from What I can gather all the press here say he was indeed speeding.
Let's not argue about it mate. When I posted there was no indication who did what and how it happened, hence the post as it came across he was at fault just because he died.

If you're in Spain I'm sure you've got a lot more info than we do currently.

Point is someone died and he's left behind 3 young kids and as a dad myself to a 8 and 9 year old it just hits a note.

We live in the countryside and the amount of cars that overtake on a blind corner or up a hill when i drive safe is insane and the amount of crashes I've avoided by driving slowly because others drive unsafe is double numbers.

Just don't like people assuming he was at fault, which it looks like he was now, before facts are known.

Last post in the threat but RIP Jose.

Status
Not open for further replies.