Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

Don't need one, it's self-evidently ridiculous. There's not a single shred of evidence that the attacking play of this team is coached in any way.
There are no argument against nonsense.
People do not realise there is a reason why for example Mata plays on the right. Or the significance of Lingard’s movement and link play in certain areas. Or Lukaku’s positioning compared to Ibra’s. Or the fact that we magically have the second best home record in the league. Or that we magically are not drawing 1-1 anymore. Or that we play differently at home compared to away. Or that Mourinho did not realise something had to change against teams that defend deep against us because it was obviously a problem last year.

Complete fools.

Yes it is just down to individuals. Do you guys watch Lingard and Mata play? Do you think this is all just an accident? I have acknowleged our struggles away from home. I am talking about home games where teams sit deep against us.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Tbf, I don't think he's totally wrong.
We are much better at breaking down teams at home.
Probably cause we are more efficient and we like to cede territory to anyone that willing to pass the half way line.
Our transition play and cohesion in attack needs surgery though.
Our attackers always look as if they never trained during the week and the worrying thing is, it doesn't matter who's playing and who isn't.

Adisa

People do not realise there is a reason why for example Mata plays on the right. Or the significance of Lingard’s movement and link play in certain areas. Or Lukaku’s positioning compared to Ibra’s. Or the fact that we magically have the second best home record in the league. Or that we magically are not drawing 1-1 anymore. Or that we play differently at home compared to away. Or that Mourinho did not realise something had to change against teams that defend deep against us because it was obviously a problem last year.

Complete fools.

Yes it is just down to individuals.
Someone's upset.

haram

Someone's upset.
Is that your response? Are you afraid there is sense to what I am saying and we have actually been coached to break down teams that sit deep?

Oh no, it’s just down to individuals and our home form is just a magical occurance.

How naive are some of you lot. Yeah, Mourinho has just said, “just do what you were doing last year! It was working so well for us!”.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tbf, I don't think he's totally wrong.
We are much better at breaking down teams at home.
Probably cause we are more efficient and we like to cede territory to anyone that willing to pass the half way line.
Our transition play and cohesion in attack needs surgery though.
Our attackers always look as if they never trained during the week and the worrying thing is, it doesn't matter who's playing and who isn't.
And the personnel brought kind of play a huge part in it even Mkhitaryan was a far better player than Memphis flippin Depay, Pogba is a more creative player than Schneiderlin, Matic is a better ball mover than anybody we have had since 2013's Carrick, Ibrahimovic was our best striker since 2012 RVP. Individuals are the main reason behind our improvements, you don't even need to think much to realize it.

haram

Remember the many posters who would complain and scream for Rashford to play on the right? Completely ignoring the fact that the team has been coached in a way where Mata is important on the right hand side to break teams down. The importance of te number ten to make runs across to that side to create space. Lingard’s form is just an accident?

Hitchez

Complete fools.

Yes it is just down to individuals. Do you guys watch Lingard and Mata play? Do you think this is all just an accident? I have acknowleged our struggles away from home. I am talking about home games where teams sit deep against us.
We drew a lot of home games last season not because we weren't breaking down teams or struggling to create chances. It was because Ibra couldn't finish. We've been far more clinical as a team this season.

haram

And the personnel brought kind of play a huge part in it even Mkhitaryan was a far better player than Memphis flippin Depay, Pogba is a more creative player than Schneiderlin, Matic is a better ball mover than anybody we have had since 2013's Carrick, Ibrahimovic was our best striker since 2012 RVP. Individuals are the main reason behind our improvements, you don't even need to think much to realize it.
Pogba was here last year. If you are attributing our home form to Matic you are just deluded. No one wants to mention Mata on the right? Or Lingard at number 10? How they have been coached certain link play and movement? Everyone on here cries and dies about a RW and looks past what Mata does against deep defences. When WE defend deeper, it’s a different question. That’s not what we are talking about though.

haram

We drew a lot of home games last season not because we weren't breaking down teams or struggling to create chances. It was because Ibra couldn't finish. We've been far more clinical as a team this season.
So we swapped Ibra for Lukaku and everyone else just magically became clinical? No, we are being coached to make movement and link play in a certain way to create space. Someone like Mata is important in that.

NO ONE wants to admit it though.

At least I can accept that we have problems away from home. There are people on here just attributing our home form to individuals and DO NOT want to credit Mourinho for anything.

I will be seen as the one with an ‘agenda’ though. Give your heads a fecking wobble. This fecking myth that we do not work on attacking, link play and movement is complete and utter naive garbage.

Hitchez

So we swapped Ibra for Lukaku and everyone else just magically became clinical? No, we are being coached to make movement and link play in a certain way to create space. Someone like Mata is important in that.

What does the system have to do with players being clinical? An yes, Lukaku is far more clinical than Ibra. Mata has mostly been average this season.

And my point that was, we had zero problems with breaking down teams last season at home. We had so many games where we had chance after chance but couldn't finish teams off.

People understand quite well. You'd be delighted to know you aren't the sole owner of the truth.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pogba was here last year. If you are attributing our home form to Matic you are just deluded. No one wants to mention Mata on the right? Or Lingard at number 10? How they have been coached certain link play and movement? Everyone on here cries and dies about a RW and looks past what Mata does against deep defences. When WE defend deeper, it’s a different question. That’s not what we are talking about though.
Not only we are collectively shit and everyone with eyes can see it but you have the audacity to discard Pogba because he was here last season and still mention Mata and Lingard? We are not structurally good at anything, we have individual players who are from time to time showing their qualities, Mata and Lingard included.

Borden

At least I can accept that we have problems away from home. There are people on here just attributing our home form to individuals and DO NOT want to credit Mourinho for anything.

I will be seen as the one with an ‘agenda’ though. Give your heads a fecking wobble. This fecking myth that we do not work on attacking, link play and movement is complete and utter naive garbage.
If we do then we're doing a piss poor job of it. Because our link play and movement is pretty much non-existent. As has been pointed out numerous times on here, more often than not our players look like complete strangers on the pitch. That's a coaching issue.

Kapardin

Let's take a middling view. We are certainly being coached in attack and players like Lingard and even Lukaku have improved. However, Jose's having trouble in coaching Martial properly, and finding a way to fit Alexis into the team. Coaching does need to be better in some aspects but it is ridiculous to say a multiple league winning manager doesn't do attacking coaching at all.

His problems with Pogba are likely temporary, just a dip in form.

Oh, and absolutely ridiculous to say Mourinho's coaching has nothing to do with his consistently great home record.

haram

What does the system have to do with players being clinical? An yes, Lukaku is far more clinical than Ibra. Mata has mostly been average this season.

And my point that was, we had zero problems with breaking down teams last season at home. We had so many games where we had chance after chance but couldn't finish teams off.

People understand quite well. You'd be delighted to know you aren't the sole owner of the truth.
Lukaku has 8 league goals at home. Ibra probably had a similair amount by this stage, if not more. Players like Lingard and Mata create spaces and runs in different ways. This is something that has been worked on. We have been working on attacking play against deep defenses and anyone claiming we haven’t is lying to themselves to fit their agenda.

aditya826

So what's our identity during attacking transitions if we are being coached in a 'certain' way?
What is it? Is it counter attacking or possession based or cross from the wings?
Because I haven't seen any consistent pattern throughout 20 months of Jose being here.

haram

Let's take a middling view. We are certainly being coached in attack and players like Lingard and even Lukaku have improved. However, Jose's having trouble in coaching Martial properly, and finding a way to fit Alexis into the team. Coaching does need to be better in some aspects but it is ridiculous to say a multiple league winning manager doesn't do attacking coaching at all.

His problems with Pogba are likely temporary, just a dip in form.
Away from home yes, we need to improve on things. I have already accepted that though. That’s not what the discussion is on. Do we work on attacking play against deep defences? Yes. Have we improved at home? Yes. Is there a reason why Mata plays on the right? Yes. Is there a reason why Lingard has improved? Yes.

Am I happy with us away from home? No. But the fact that we have worked on attacking work for home games gives me encouragement that we will do the same for away games.

Adisa

Not only we are collectively shit and everyone with eyes can see it but you have the audacity to discard Pogba because he was here last season and still mention Mata and Lingard? We are not structurally good at anything, we have individual players who are from time to time showing their qualities, Mata and Lingard included.
This is what has gotten me concerned over the past month and why I've become negative in my outlook.
Mourinho has been here 18 months and has had 4 transfer windows.
Can anyone mention an outstanding quality we have as a team?
Anyone?
I can mention for all our rivals, including Arsenal ffs but I can't think of one for us.
Note: Before I get harassed, it doesn't mean i think those teams are better or have better managers.

haram

So what's our identity during attacking transitions if we are being coached in a 'certain' way?
What is it? Is it counter attacking or possession based or cross from the wings?
Because I haven't seen any consistent pattern throughout 20 months of Jose being here.
At home? The position and zones Mata picks up alongside support from Valencia. The link Mata and the number ten creates and the difference in Lukkau not dropping deep like Ibra was doing. The runs Jesse makes across into the right hand side for example. You do not notice these things? The link play in these areas and zones?

haram

If we do then we're doing a piss poor job of it. Because our link play and movement is pretty much non-existent. As has been pointed out numerous times on here, more often than not our players look like complete strangers on the pitch. That's a coaching issue.
There is a different approach at home compared to away games. That’s because at home we deal with deeper defences. Away from home we are the ones that are deeper so we have to work on that in a different way.

We have more goals than Liverpool at home. The same amount as Spurs at home. These are deemed as attacking teams. Have you not seen these teams struggle against deep defenses?

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Our home form has improved because of coaching on attack play against deep defenses, not because of individuals. That’s why Mata is a mainstay on the right and Lingard has performed the way he has. Away from home, yes we have problems we need to fix.
If that's what you want to believe, then it's not much of a surprise that you think Mourinho would be doing a great job with the City side that Pep took over.

Mourinho is focusing on defensive stability, not so much on attacking play. So it's not a surprise that we look so poor when attacking, it is however a bit of a surprise to see how dodgy we are at defending.

Smores

How can you say our home form is only improved because of better players but our away form is all down to bad coaching? Do people not see the contradiction there?

As for saying we don't do attacking coaching, if thats a genuine opinion, football probably isn't for you

Smores

If that's what you want to believe, then it's not much of a surprise that you think Mourinho would be doing a great job with the City side that Pep took over.

Mourinho is focusing on defensive stability, not so much on attacking play. So it's not a surprise that we look so poor when attacking, it is however a bit of a surprise to see how dodgy we are at defending.
How is it that we have scored just one less goal than Spurs who apparently are excellently coached in attack and have the best striker in the league? Just luck in your opinion?

aditya826

At home? The position and zones Mata picks up alongside support from Valencia. The link Mata and the number ten creates and the difference in Lukkau not dropping deep like Ibra was doing. The runs Jesse makes across into the right hand side for example. You do not notice these things? The link play in these areas and zones?
The position and zones Mata picks up with Valencia - Been doing that ineffectively since LVG
Lukkaku not dropping deep- Not true at all Lukaku comes very deep to create goals which is the exact reason why his number of assists have increased this season. I am not sure whether to credit Jose there or because our Midfielders are basically clueless to do their jobs.
Jesse makes runs across the right hand side- Can't remember this at all. In fact Jesse Lingard is a very intelligent player whose talents have not been exploited at all in our system.

Smores

If you only want to look at stats and imagine that we play great attacking football then be my guest.
That's a cop out, we are well enough into the season that goals scored in comparison is valid. We're not talking about some shite lile xG this is events that decide matches.

If we don't play as good attacking football we must be bloody efficient which is no bad thing

haram

The position and zones Mata picks up with Valencia - Been doing that ineffectively since LVG
Lukkaku not dropping deep- Not true at all Lukaku comes very deep to create goals which is the exact reason why his number of assists have increased this season. I am not sure whether to credit Jose there or because our Midfielders are basically clueless to do their jobs.
Jesse makes runs across the right hand side- Can't remember this at all. In fact Jesse Lingard is a very intelligent player whose talents have not been exploited at all in our system.
I was going to reply to this and then I read the last bit in bold and now I'm not even going to bother.

Brilliant analysis :lol:
You can ignore all my other posts if you want. I'm not going to waste my time on you either.

I'm done with this. People cannot accept that we are better at home because of coaching and it's just down to individual brilliance. I can see the agenda wide and clear.

MThomas

That's a cop out, we are well enough into the season that goals scored in comparison is valid. We're not talking about some shite lile xG this is events that decide matches.

If we don't play as good attacking football we must be bloody efficient which is no bad thing
Considering the football we're playing, I'd say it's a fecking disgrace.

But by all means, we've scored one less goal than Tottenham so there's no concern regarding our attacking football

MThomas

I was going to reply to this and then I read the last bit in bold and now I'm not even going to bother.

You can ignore all my other posts if you want. I'm not going to waste my time on you either.

I'm done with this. People cannot accept that we are better at home because of coaching and it's just down to individual brilliance. I can see the agenda wide and clear.
You complaining about agendas is a bit rich though.

Smores

Considering the football we're playing, I'd say it's a fecking disgrace.

But by all means, we've scored one less goal than Tottenham so there's no concern regarding our attacking football
Nah come on if you're mouthing off about the manager and our play you must have some insight as to why this has happened. If you just want to admit that you have no idea why then fair enough but at least answer the question.

So many want to stamp their feet like children on here but back away when asked for any justification

aditya826

Sadly I have more patience than you. Mourinho doesn't care a bit about attacking contributions. He's been open about it in his press conferences. The decline of players like Hazard and Mkhi under him are a significant illustrations of that. But you still want to believe that Mou does coach attacking transitions, quite contrary to reality.

And yeah just because Jesse peaked in form for an odd month or two doesn't get Mourinho a credit. Although I will admit, the arsenal away game was a brilliant game for Lingard, and Mourinho's instructions for the game was clearly conspicuous and deserves the credit for just that game. I'd have said this even if he didn't score those 2 goals.

But I expect much more from Jesse, given his football intelligence is extremely underrated. Mourinho has failed to use that effectively for almost two seasons.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Nah come on if you're mouthing off about the manager and our play you must have some insight as to why this has happened. If you just want to admit that you have no idea why then fair enough but at least answer the question.

So many want to stamp their feet like children on here but back away when asked for any justification
On paper we have much better players than Spurs, when we play them they’ve largely dominated us. We got the win at OT but we were terrible in that game.

Hitchez

So anyone who disagrees with you has an agenda? Interesting way of arguing your point.

I personally think our attacking play at home hasn't changed much if at all in Jose's 2 years here. And on the whole I don't have many complaints. We're quite decent to watch. And a lot of it is down to improvement in players from the LVG era. Very little indication of it being down to any sort of coaching.

aditya826

On paper we have much better players than Spurs, when we play them they’ve largely dominated us. We got the win at OT but we were terrible in that game.
Yeah DDG long ball to Lukaku's head which magically fell on Martial's feet who did brilliantly to score the only goal after 76 minutes.

Clearly coached by Mourinho.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Yeah DDG long ball to Lukaku's head which magically fell on Martial's feet who did brilliantly to score the only goal after 76 minutes.

Clearly coached by Mourinho.
Good piece of play but hardly something we should be celebrating wildly. We can’t do that every time we face a decent side.

Status
Not open for further replies.