Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

:D His players are still playing for him at least! Credit to him for overseeing a comfortable away win against a decent team with a heavily rotated squad.
He's a hair away from his 2nd year meltdown when he destroys everything and everyone around him.

RedStarUnited

The attacking is still looks unstructured and more about what the players do than any team drilling.

The defence is wickedly open to attacks against any team.

He is still talking about himself.

"I still have the emotions of last Sunday. I know how to win titles, in case some of the young guys don't know. I won eight in four different countries."

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
If Arsenal had followed that up with a challenge for the title, it would have been. They didn't. Jose knows that we have to.

SirAF

Ageist
He's a hair away from his 2nd year meltdown when he destroys everything and everyone around him.
Not sure if serious, or you are just carrying on the jesting from the match day thread :p

fellaini's barber

One point behind?:lol:

Anyway, if I do agree with you that money is not an excuse, then what excuse are you giving poch and klopp for falling behind united?:angel:
Well let's wait and see if Pool win the CL or finish ahead of us before concluding that we're 'ahead' of them. As for Spurs I'm not sure but this will be the first time we'll be finishing ahead of them since Fergie left? Despite outspending both of them every season. Same way City have been spending long before Pep came around yet other teams including us still beat them to the title were better than them in Europe. No one ever said money was not an excuse, we started this conversation because Jose defenders like yourself keep pushing this notion that we're so far behind City because Pep spent more which is bullshit because using that logic we should be 20 points ahead of Pool and Spurs which we aren't. Pool are in the CL semis playing better football and are only 4 points behind us. If we can't compete with Pep because of their spending then Liverpool and Spurs shouldn't be competing with us, at all. What makes the notion even more bizzare is that our spending is much closer to City's than Spurs or Pool's spending to us. Really stop with the senseless smileys it makes me feel like I'm talking to a child

KetilOwren88

I really liked the way we played today with Herrera dropping deep in our build up, basicly playing a 3-4-3 formation when we had the ball. In that way we allowed our full backs to attack (in theory, nobody of them had a very good game) and it also gave Pogba much needed freedom. When Bournemoth had the ball, Herrera would go back to midfield playing as a shield in a 4-3-3 formation. Herrera had the same role as Dier use to have in Spurs. Credit to Jose for trying something different. I think this system has potensial to suit our players while it gives us much needed balance at the same time.

Swift Football

Why are we so poor in building the game from back. Players are so keen to hoof the ball, i dont know its just their lack of ability or direction from manager or players just do not want to take risk and first thing in their mind is clearance/hoof the ball so that it can not be intercepted in risky areas.

THis hoof ball tactics sometimes work, but sometimes dont work like we see against Sevilla. Its games like this Bournemoth one where we need to be trying to play from the back. This Smalling/valencia to De Gea hoof ball to Fellaini/Lukaku has to stop. Jose has to address that.

Jonno

My initial post had nothing to do with the current state of the club, but rather the glaringly clear fact that Jose Mourinho has a partiality towards certain players, while pushing a portrayal that these players have greatly improved us from last season which is just not true. while team has improved from the Moyes day, we have not done that much better than last season (which was a good season).
Are you blind to the league table?

Aren't you forgetting that we're going to hit over 80 points for the first time in FIVE YEARS?

If you want to ignore the league table as a measure of progress, lets have a look at his dealings in the transfer market - just this season look at the the obvious upgrades that have been made - We've replaced Fellaini/Zlatan/Rooney with Matic/Lukaku/Sanchez.

Also look at the progress we've made against the other top 6 sides, we've beaten them all this season, something we absolutely didn't do last season.

So I just find it baffling that you don't think we've done that much better than last season. I'd agree with you if we were sat in 5th place like Chelsea, competing for nothing, still putting Fellaini Darmian and Rooney in our starting line up every week. The significant improvements on and off the pitch are obvious.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Due to finishing 2nd/3rd I don't expect him to be sacked, but would I change him, even if we finished 2nd? I actually would.
The signs are showing (If reports are true) that the likes of Pogba and Martial are not happy. It's the same with Hazard at Chelsea etc.

If Mourinho was to leave at the end of the season, he'd actually leave is in a great position. We have some great attacking players, finished 2nd in the league lets say and a fresh start for the players going into the new season.
What worries me is if we were to sell Martial and/or Pogba this summer as they are unhappy with him, then a poor run of results, along with the typical fallouts, then him being sacked mid season with big players already left.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Due to finishing 2nd/3rd I don't expect him to be sacked, but would I change him, even if we finished 2nd? I actually would.
The signs are showing (If reports are true) that the likes of Pogba and Martial are not happy. It's the same with Hazard at Chelsea etc.

If Mourinho was to leave at the end of the season, he'd actually leave is in a great position. We have some great attacking players, finished 2nd in the league lets say and a fresh start for the players going into the new season.
What worries me is if we were to sell Martial and/or Pogba this summer as they are unhappy with him, then a poor run of results, along with the typical fallouts, then him being sacked mid season with big players already left.
How do you know they are not happy with Mou? Do you have inside contacts with the club? Don’t believe everything you here in the media. The media use United to get attention. After all we are the most followed club in the PL by far.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
No disrespect but some of you lots sound pathetic. We're going to finish 16 points off the top of the league while Liverpool and Spurs are breathing down our necks despite spending an unbelievable amount.

Such a loser's mentality to be all accepting being behind in second but one quick look at the table we are 16 POINTS off the leaders. It's freaking sad to hear people even being content with such garbage.
What's sad and a loser attitude is to sulk inconsolably because the biggest rival finished ahead of you. It's almost just as bad as crying and eating your own boogers just because you lost the derby.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Top 4 is pretty much guaranteed. The middle option of the poll is now meaningless. What do 351 people think, yay or nay?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I wonder if it’s more of the same next season- 2nd or 3rd place, deep run in the cups and CL knockout phase. Would the club and fans give Jose a further year? There’s no denying we should already be doing quite a bit better than the likes of Liverpool and Spurs, purely based on transfer fees and wages. Our squad is strong. We shouldn’t be so far behind city. Desire lacking in certain matches and no real attacking plan being implemented. A really great manager should get the absolute best out of his squad and we’ve spared no expense.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.

Aren't you forgetting that we're going to hit over 80 points for the first time in FIVE YEARS?

If you want to ignore the league table as a measure of progress, lets have a look at his dealings in the transfer market - just this season look at the the obvious upgrades that have been made - We've replaced Fellaini/Zlatan/Rooney with Matic/Lukaku/Sanchez.

Also look at the progress we've made against the other top 6 sides, we've beaten them all this season, something we absolutely didn't do last season.

So I just find it baffling that you don't think we've done that much better than last season. I'd agree with you if we were sat in 5th place like Chelsea, competing for nothing, still putting Fellaini Darmian and Rooney in our starting line up every week. The significant improvements on and off the pitch are obvious.
Finishing in a possible second place regardless of points tally and winning Europa League equates to the same reward (one just come with something silver). And while our League form has been more "efficient" this season the overall play has at times been drab and blunt for a large chunks of the season, whereas last season we created a mess of chances but we were not clinical enough to put them away.

our form against the other top clubs has improved since October of last year, but those are hollow victories in the overall view of the the season, you don't get double points for beating The Bitters they are still going to win the league and we still might not win a single piece of silverware.

Going into this season i was full of optimisms and thought are team was a few transfers away from being genuine title contenders, I just don't have the same optimisms for next season because the player that gave me the warm fuzzy feeling don't seem to have the mangers trust. which is why this season just does not feel like a progressive step to me.

Last edited:

beedoubleyou

Sick of people saying "if it wasn't for City". If it wasn't for the other 19 clubs Pardew would still be manager of WBA and cruising toward the title. If you're pinning your hopes on City regressing, you're in for a nasty surprise.

Jeffthered

I agree with this post. I don't think he is the right fit with the club. His ego dominates everything and everyone around him.

And he continally berates his players in public. I don't see a team playing for him. I see a team that are playing for a club, a team who are reluctant to express themselves. How has that become the Man Utd way?

I can't stand Mourinho.

SirAF

Ageist
Sick of people saying "if it wasn't for City". If it wasn't for the other 19 clubs Pardew would still be manager of WBA and cruising toward the title. If you're pinning your hopes on City regressing, you're in for a nasty surprise.
That's a little bit different than referencing City's freak/record breaking season..

GM K

What worries me is if Manchester United FC has become one of those clubs where player power rules. We didn't become what we are by allowing players to dictate if a manager stays or leave. If Pogba and Martial are unhappy or can't fall in line, I will rather they leave and be replaced by players who are as good and also desperate to play for the badge. And this is coming from a fan who likes Pogba and Martial. I am tired of all the rumours around them. The reality is that they get their chances and are always inconsistent in taking those chances. That is on them and not the manager.

rollingstoned1

TBF we knew what we would get with Mourinho-ball and cant complain now that it isnt fun enough or exciting enough. Without wishing to imply that there is a false dichotomy i doubt anyone here would be thrilled if we were playing better football and say 4th, not unlike what Arsenal are doing currently. More or less we want to go back to the Fergie days despite saying that we realise it is not easy which is a little conflicting to me. If we truly realise it then people losing their shit after losses like WBA should not happen. for my money i dont think all the problems in our game result from faults in Mourinhos coaching and management, for instance on Sunday and in one or 2 other games this season where we were dire I could quite easily see its a mentality issue and the players are entirely to blame for it. If they don't move the ball and make runs with any intensity or show any desire on the pitch then it cannot always be all on the manager, not when we have actually shown character and actually come back from deficits this season unlike possibly any other period post-Fergie. Lacking intensity and initiative when we are expected to do well and not have to go behind before we start playing is not on the manager as much as the players IMO. He cant babysit them and hold their hands when they are on the pitch despite all claims of him being more cautious than he needs to be.

R o o K

People who think that Jose inherited a similar quality wise squad as Pep, are gravely deluded. None of our players can match the quality that KDB, Silva, Fernadino and Aguero bring to the game, none. There is no chance that Pep would have won anything with out squad, not even the Europa League that Jose won last year. And while we are talking about the Europa League not being a great achievement, I saw Klopp's Liverpool get trashed by a Sevilla team that finished 7th in their league that same year.

I have enjoyed some of our games this season, not all of them, but surely more than last season. Yes, we have improved considerably and expect more spending once we get rid of the deadwood. I trust Jose will deliver.

MrBest

Jose is results driven and that's all he cares about. How you win is not important but winning is the only thing that matters. I think he has done very very well to bring a winning mentality back to United. If we finish the season on 83/86 points, stats wise that's a very very good season. If you consider right now in the table, it is only 6 games that separates us and city's money made team. 3 of the games we dropped points on, west Brom Newcastle and Huddersfield were silly. Without that we would be very very close to them. I am grateful to see our side in the top 2 again because let's be honest, it has be over 4 years.

Saying that, the fans in including me want more attacking football. Players like martial rashford pogba samchez lukaku all have the ability to create and score over 80 goals between them in a season. Something is not clicking and we keep hearing this balance word, the same rubbish gaal used to say too. Im surpised that over 300m of spend later, it is still not fixed.

I have changed my mind of poch, i would have him at United. With a bigger budget he could do more things. Saying that, i am not totally against a third season with Jose but he has to change his negative ways and give the youth talents we have, longer runs in the teams. You can see it slightly but not enough.

Member 85611

City surely is going to have another "freak season" next year as well. We need to look only at ourselves and how to cut that ~15 points difference.

Personally, id say rotation for the lesser games would be important as hungry bench players are gonna perform and win those games unlike the established xi, as they might lack motivation and/or power (why let matic and lukaku play every single game all year long, we have seen yesterday it's possible to win without Matic as Herrera is a very good 6)

Rotation was one of the reasons for Saf's success.

shaky

Top 4 is pretty much guaranteed. The middle option of the poll is now meaningless. What do 351 people think, yay or nay?
I'll assume they are all yays, since we got top 4. if they wanted him sacked regardless of top 4, they'd have voted option 3.

SER19

Hazards having yet another half hearted season and is not somenody I imagine is difficult to have throw his toys. Many players downed tools under moyes and van gaal. Player power is gone way too far, we need a manager who has control again. If selling some talented but sulking under performers makes that clear then so be it. You simply cannot blame the manager or style of play for how abject some players look some weeks.

willhse456

I was one of the people that voted for the middle option. I think he should get one more season, but if the football is still dull then I'd like to see a more forward thinking manager come in, Jardim would be my first choice. However, I don't think he should be allowed to sell either Pogba or Martial.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'll assume they are all yays, since we got top 4. if they wanted him sacked regardless of top 4, they'd have voted option 3.
I'm not so sure given the mood on the Caf these days. What I notice often now is the want for a manager "to get the most out of the players" like someone could waltz in here and turn this lot into world beaters.
I'd still like to see a more conclusive poll, yes or no type.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
It's not a freak season. They're very, very good and they'll be better next year.
Exactly. City will get better and better each year with Guardiola in charge. Thats how he works. The question is will the opposition adapt to that and be a real threat to them?!

MUFC OK

Too much logic and too many facts in this post for the caf.. Why do you have to be so reasoned?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Exactly. City will get better and better each year with Guardiola in charge. Thats how he works. The question is will the opposition adapt to that and be a real threat to them?!
I don't know. They've dropped 10 points all season. The only improvement they can make is winning every game next season.

Canagel

City surely is going to have another "freak season" next year as well. We need to look only at ourselves and how to cut that ~15 points difference.

Personally, id say rotation for the lesser games would be important as hungry bench players are gonna perform and win those games unlike the established xi, as they might lack motivation and/or power (why let matic and lukaku play every single game all year long, we have seen yesterday it's possible to win without Matic as Herrera is a very good 6)

Rotation was one of the reasons for Saf's success.
This is vital. Really vital. You cannot underestimate the importance of rotation. You look at Man City's bench this year and most of those players would be 1st choice at all the clubs in the top 6. There isn't a big drop off in quality between the 1st team and 2nd team. I think their 2nd team would've finished comfortably in the top 4 this season. The likes of Gundogan, B Silva, Danilo, Aguero/Jesus and even Foden have come in too provide rotation. That is what you call a strong squad. They found the perfect balance between keeping these players happy and also resting the senior players to keep up their motivation. Because they strengthed their squad it allowed to them rest the 1st team and still be able to win games comfortably. If you have too much of a drop off in quality you end with games like ours against Bristol for example. And the main team end up playing too many games which leads up to games like the WBA game where they get too complacent. Strengthening our squad to allow us to field two teams with similar qualities will enable us to keep our 1st team motivated and on their feet and also enable us to use the 2nd team to win games and fight harder on all fronts.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Is it? Bayern finished with 90 points in his first season and then 79 and 88 points.
Barca 87 in the first season and then 99, 96, 91.

Doesn't support your "they will get better and better and that's how Pep works"

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I hope that's sarcasm.

Is it? Bayern finished with 90 points in his first season and then 79 and 88 points.

Doesn't looks like "they will get better and better and that's how Pep works" kind of points.
Not to forget Jose beat him to the title under Real in I think the 3rd season in charge? Or 2nd.

Either way Pep doesn't get better season on season.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
City can't do much better points wise and Pep's approach demands an extreme level of performance from each player. He hardly rotates, so his teams usually drop a bit in the second half of the season, both in the league and CL. The key is to stay close to that point.
We certainly can go level up in our game.

dove

Doesn't looks like "they will get better and better and that's how Pep works" kind of points.
Points mean nothing in football. Only thing that matters is excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.