Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchoolManc

By the sounds of those comments, Jose is here for the long term.
Another 2-3 seasons at least, I would reckon. I think he is way too harshly judged by United fans on here and in the media. It was and still is a major rebuild, not just squad wise, but mentality wise.
I see that battling and winning mentality coming back under Jose. A few tweaks and 3-4 players this summer, who have that fighting spirit, will see us back at the top.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
CL ensured. Winning when poor. Late winners.

Slowly but surely Jose is making United better. I think people tend to underestimate the task at hand. No manager would come in here and immediately create some fantasy attacking unit.

Minimalist

Mourinho has his work cut out this summer.

Whether it's player recruitment or improving the current lot - he's got his hands full.

Can't complain about the PL finish too much and the top six results have been good. Performances in general though must improve.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

2nd best record in the league against the top 6. It's such massive improvement over last year.
Yeah, came down to a now or never period before that Chelsea game. Since that loss against Spurs in January we've beaten everyone in the top 6 (City away, Spurs at Wembley somewhat neutral somewhat away). Hopefully we can build on it and keep it up next season, instead of reverting to how it was in the first half of the season and most of the season before.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Jose won the game by bringing on Fellaini and making sure he was in the box, and Martial for us to play wider and get it into him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

2nd best record in the league against the top 6. It's such massive improvement over last year.
Unsurprisingly the most amount of points in those fixtures since Fergie

charlenefan

I watch FTD religiously but I've known about this channel also, if anyone knows who it is speaking in this video give him a slap because he's a fecking idiot

charlenefan

Well that's your first issue. They're awful.
Why? It was actually an eye opening watching videos from this other channel as I find the stuff on FTD actually pretty grounded in the actual reality as oppose to the hyperbole you get on here for example

Minimalist

Why? It was actually an eye opening watching videos from this other channel as I find the stuff on FTD actually pretty grounded in the actual reality as oppose to the hyperbole you get on here for example
Because they're fcuking idiots? Because they (the presenters) talk complete shite?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I watch FTD religiously but I've known about this channel also, if anyone knows who it is speaking in this video give him a slap because he's a fecking idiot

Don't bother with the United Stand. It's fecking terrible and that Brent Di Cesare aka Mark Goldbridge is an absolute weapon. He's a Forest fan turned United fan for YT money.

charlenefan

Don't bother with the United Stand. It's fecking terrible and that Brent Di Cesare aka Mark Goldbridge is an absolute weapon. He's a Forest fan turned United fan for YT money.
I don't normally but it is interesting that their channel seems to reflect a lot of the views on here whereas FTD is a lot more positive

Charlie Foley

Our record against the other top 6 is a big improvement.
Played 11, won 7, 1 draw, lost 3. Scored 16, conceded 12.

Cup final still to come.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream

Saw a couple of live watchalongs with the host Mark Goldbridge. In one match, Goldbridge's response to Fellaini scoring was "Oh look at him celebrating as if he's done something good, I'm not giving him any credit, he doesn't deserve any!" In another match, Goldbridge was transparently disappointed when Rooney scored and said something like "well it doesn't matter who scores as long as United scores..." Maybe some will agree with him on here, but those two incidents were enough to put me off his channel entirely.

Bobski

I think Mou needs to incorporate more rotation into his approach next season. Traditionally he has liked to keep the same spine of the team together, rarely rested but guys like Lukaku and Matic have had too much of a workload this year. Especially after a WC he needs to careful with burnout.

Member 85611

Rotation would be key next season. Hungry players bring wins especially against lesser teams. But Jose is stubbborn, so he will only rotate when Lukaku gets seriously injured again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kapardin

I don't normally but it is interesting that their channel seems to reflect a lot of the views on here whereas FTD is a lot more positive
FTD is just too manufactured for my liking. Adam McKola seems to just play up to the camera and it seems sort of soulless, the infamous Andy Tate rant aside. They were rooting for Moyes and later wanted Mark Hughes as our manager before Jose, ffs.

United Stand used to be decent in the beginning, but they have since succumbed to corporate click-bait trends and the usual nonsense that goes with amassing a few followers/subscribers whatever. Dunno if Goldbridge switched loyalties from Forest to United, but he used to talk okay in the beginning, only to get progressively worse like his channel.

Oldyella

CL ensured. Winning when poor. Late winners.

Slowly but surely Jose is making United better. I think people tend to underestimate the task at hand. No manager would come in here and immediately create some fantasy attacking unit.
I don't even think it's that slowly, he has improved us a lot at a decent tick. Although he was following Moyes and LVG so improvements were bound to be seen. Just wish we had charismatic Jose rather than the miserable bugger he seems to be now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't even think it's that slowly, he has improved us a lot at a decent tick. Although he was following Moyes and LVG so improvements were bound to be seen. Just wish we had charismatic Jose rather than the miserable bugger he seems to be now.
In my view that didn't make the task a low hanging fruit, but rather, much harder. They made a mess, both in terms of destroying the team mentality and in player recruitment. It wasn't helped also by the tactical instructions by LVG.

The guy is a serial winner. When he doesn't win, he's not happy. When we begin winning, he'll be that figure you want to see.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He’s got to get us playing better next season. It’s industry over excitement every time with this team.

Results have improved but performances haven’t.

Bobski

It has been pretty much what we expected from Mourinho hasn't it? Results, but rather dreary. The resilience of the team is a credit to him, the number of times they have come back in big games is very encouraging, elements of that winning mentality that is so key. Makes me very confident for the Cup Final.

I think Utd have the second best squad in the league, results wise it has been a good season with a few horrid blips, but the style and the experience, hard to see that taking a massive leap.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Our last 10 league finishes:

Post SAF
2017 - 69 (6th)
2016 - 66 (5th)
2015 - 70 (4th)
2014 - 64 (7th)

SAF era
2013 - 89 (1st)
2012 - 89 (2nd)
2011 - 80 (1st)
2010 - 85 (2nd)
2009 - 90 (1st)
2008 - 87 (1st)

We are currently on 77 with 3 games to go. We're definitely on course to finish with +80 points. The improvement since that terrible period is obvious.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It has been pretty much what we expected from Mourinho hasn't it? Results, but rather dreary.
The thing is, the 'boredom' of his previous teams have been hugely overstated. He definitely tends to shut up shop against the other top teams, but against the rest of the teams they tend to be much more impressive offensively than what we've been for most of his tenure. More often than not his teams tend to be the highest scorers in the league.

The biggest difference that we are seeing is in the counter-attacks. Normally his teams counter-attack extremely well. This works both against top teams where he plays quite defensively but always carry that threat of hitting them on the break, and lower teams where his teams general play will get a goal or two and then rip the opposition to pieces on the counter-attack as they push to try to get an equaliser. We simply don't do this. Unfortunately when we win the ball we normally move it forward ridiculously slowly, and there's been a few times over the last couple of months where he's been noticeably annoyed with it. That's really what I'm expecting to see him working on in this upcoming transfer window, getting a couple of players who will allow us to transition and break much faster.

Donnie Brasco

Had his best outfield player and most creative player out for 3 months and still managed second. Has overachieved.

If Pep, Klopp, Pochettino had their best player out for 3 months the press together with our plastic entitled fanbase would make 234 excuses for them.

Reactions: SteveJ

OldSchoolManc

I still can’t believe that 30% want him sacked!
This with clear improvement in the league. Does anyone think that 30% of Liverpool and Spurs fans want their manager sacked when they’ve actually won a big fat nothing? That’s with more time in charge too? No, I wouldn’t think so!
Entitlement is disgusting here, it’s a massive turnaround job and within 2 years, it’s turning around!

Minimalist

Only thing more annoying than the posters with their tongues lodged up Mourinhos arse is the posters who keep referencing that fecking poll which was taken months ago!

Fecking pack it in. We get it.

OldSchoolManc

Only thing more annoying than the posters with their tongues lodged up Mourinhos arse is the posters who keep referencing that fecking poll which was taken months ago!

Fecking pack it in. We get it.
You do know there’s an option to change your vote? Yet none have. Seems that some don’t want to change their mind,no matter how we improve. Sheer bloody minded stubbornness!

Minimalist

You do know there’s an option to change your vote? Yet none have. Seems that some don’t want to change their mind,no matter how we improve. Sheer bloody minded stubbornness!
I imagine because nobody gives a flying fcuk anymore as the conversation has moved on since the results picked up!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Mourinho is the Tortoise
Pep/Klopp are the Hares

Best way to describe Mourinho I think. He gets the results in the end, and does whats needed to get over the finish line, but theirs no flair.
Klopp has all the flair, but the results can be quite unpredictable at times.

I'd like a little more flair in attack next season, that's all I ask for :lol:

CM

I still can’t believe that 30% want him sacked!
This with clear improvement in the league. Does anyone think that 30% of Liverpool and Spurs fans want their manager sacked when they’ve actually won a big fat nothing? That’s with more time in charge too? No, I wouldn’t think so!
Entitlement is disgusting here, it’s a massive turnaround job and within 2 years, it’s turning around!
There isn't the same level of expectation at Liverpool or Spurs, neither club has won the Premier League in its 26 year history for starters but neither of their managers have received the same kind of financial backing as ours either.

I think the more pertinent point though is both Klopp's and Pochettino's styles buy them more time with their respective sets of fans, as well as their obvious efforts to improve what they've got and integrate young, promising players. Mourinho, on the other hand, hasn't made much progress in either respect. The fact that he's allowed the Martial situation get to a point where he could conceivably leave whilst being desperate to renew Fellaini's contract speaks volumes.

Naturally, in that situation the emphasis will be on results, of which there have been plenty of poor ones. Not winning the title is forgivable but the manner in which City have won it combined with our awful Champions League campaign was always going to make this a season tinged with disappointment, at the very least.

R o o K

I am not surprised that there are people who want Jose sacked (thankfully, its not up to them), fans these days have no patience and lack any sensible reasoning on their views. Mourinho might as well won CL and PL this year, and would still be people out there complaining. It's more personal than anything else. Same people who want him sacked did not want him in the first place. I accept their opinion (or personal vendetta against him) but they should also respect that the majority of the fans are willing to give him more time (as the board/owners thankfully have clearly stated).

Heck, when I see Man City fans moaning about Pep not winning the quadruple, I feel happy to read your moaning day in day out.

If you get your wish and Jose leaves, then I would personally like a thread with your name on. Cause when the new manager (and your favorite) succeeds Jose, I would like to moan in your face after two years of/if winning nothing. Cause thats the most likely scenario.

OldSchoolManc

I am not surprised that there are people who want Jose sacked (thankfully, its not up to them), fans these days have no patience and lack any sensible reasoning on their views. Mourinho might as well won CL and PL this year, and would still be people out there complaining. It's more personal than anything else. Same people who want him sacked did not want him in the first place. I accept their opinion (or personal vendetta against him) but they should also respect that the majority of the fans are willing to give him more time (as the board/owners thankfully have clearly stated).

Heck, when I see Man City fans moaning about Pep not winning the quadruple, I feel happy to read your moaning day in day out.

If you get your wish and Jose leaves, then I would personally like a thread with your name on. Cause when the new manager (and your favorite) succeeds Jose, I would like to moan in your face after two years of/if winning nothing. Cause thats the most likely scenario.
A very sensible post! Who is it directed at though?

Status
Not open for further replies.