Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

R o o K

A very sensible post! Who is it directed at though?
To fans in here who deliberately appear on threads every time we lose a game, simply to trash Jose and belittle other fans with different views or opinion. To fans in here who disappear when we win big games or trophies, cause they can't stand that we do that with Mourinho in charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Relfy

I can't get my head around people after Mou to be sacked. The only reasoning seems to be it's not entertaining enough, which I agree with to an extent, but put into context the job he had on his hands and the utter dross we had to watch under Moyes and LVG - this is much better and we are moving in the right direction. I'd take playing not as freely as maybe some other teams if we're improving and winning trophies. Newcastle played great football in the mid 90s and won nothing, Tottenham have been playing nice footy and won nothing, Arsenal have done a decade of nice football with no notable success, the vermin are playing nice football now and could (if there is a God) end up fifth and not win a trophy for another year.

Let's also not rewrite history when it comes to Fergie, we did not play swashbuckling attacking football week in week out. There was plenty of boring games under his tenure, plenty of big away games with a defensive set up, and plenty of games when we were winning at HT and killed the game second half.

OldSchoolManc

I can't get my head around people after Mou to be sacked. The only reasoning seems to be it's not entertaining enough, which I agree with to an extent, but put into context the job he had on his hands and the utter dross we had to watch under Moyes and LVG - this is much better and we are moving in the right direction. I'd take playing not as freely as maybe some other teams if we're improving and winning trophies. Newcastle played great football in the mid 90s and won nothing, Tottenham have been playing nice footy and won nothing, Arsenal have done a decade of nice football with no notable success, the vermin are playing nice football now and could (if there is a God) end up fifth and not win a trophy for another year.

Let's also not rewrite history when it comes to Fergie, we did not play swashbuckling attacking football week in week out. There was plenty of boring games under his tenure, plenty of big away games with a defensive set up, and plenty of games when we were winning at HT and killed the game second half.
Sums up my feelings entirely! You’ve put it much more eloquently than I could.
You’re absolutely right about the disappearance of certain posters when we win. They always pop up after a poor performance.
Some are never going to take to Mourinho no matter what we win.

AshRK

:lol: Jesus Christ, these people.. Like children upset by someone saying mean things about their daddy.
Do you add anything else in the forum or just are here to make fun of people who defend Jose, who by the way last time I checked is the club's manager. Because if that's the case then you are no different to those who just blindly back Jose.

Borden

Do you add anything else in the forum or just are here to make fun of people who defend Jose, who by the way last time I checked is the club's manager. Because if that's the case then you are no different to those who just blindly back Jose.
Nothing else, that's all I'm here for.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I am not surprised that there are people who want Jose sacked (thankfully, its not up to them), fans these days have no patience and lack any sensible reasoning on their views. Mourinho might as well won CL and PL this year, and would still be people out there complaining. It's more personal than anything else. Same people who want him sacked did not want him in the first place. I accept their opinion (or personal vendetta against him) but they should also respect that the majority of the fans are willing to give him more time (as the board/owners thankfully have clearly stated).

Heck, when I see Man City fans moaning about Pep not winning the quadruple, I feel happy to read your moaning day in day out.

If you get your wish and Jose leaves, then I would personally like a thread with your name on. Cause when the new manager (and your favorite) succeeds Jose, I would like to moan in your face after two years of/if winning nothing. Cause thats the most likely scenario.

So you're just whining about imaginary things, and none apply to any of the fans here.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Didn’t Mourinho, when he first joined, say something along the lines of there’s a serious problem at a football club when the goalkeeper wins player of the season?

SirAF

Ageist
:lol: Jesus Christ, these people.. Like children upset by someone saying mean things about their daddy.
:lol: Jesus Christ, these people.. Like children upset by someone saying nice things about a man they, for some odd reason, doesn’t like.

RORY65

Watching Roma and City ship goals for fun by playing into Liverpool's hands just shows how right Mourinho was to sit tight at Anfield. Over 180 minutes the greatest player the world has ever seen, and the most revolutionary manager of all time - Lenin in trackpants no less - couldn't find a way past our defense without Bailly's help.
He got hugely praised for the game at Old Trafford, fairly so, while the criticism of the game at Anfield was because Liverpool's attack wasn't firing then as it is now and we didn't even give ourselves a chance of winning the game by being quite as negative as we were. There are games where playing that way is completely valid (although I do resent the fact that every time we play a big team now you can guarantee we will have less than 40% of the ball and have to rely on being more clinical than our opponents) and we nullified Salah in a way that very few have which was great.

The issue is can he get us to go at teams and attacking fluently in a way that he couldn't against Sevilla because the latter stages of the Champions League, where no one has looked capable of defending, shows that you need to have more going forward.

Haddock

He got hugely praised for the game at Old Trafford, fairly so, while the criticism of the game at Anfield was because Liverpool's attack wasn't firing then as it is now and we didn't even give ourselves a chance of winning the game by being quite as negative as we were. There are games where playing that way is completely valid (although I do resent the fact that every time we play a big team now you can guarantee we will have less than 40% of the ball and have to rely on being more clinical than our opponents) and we nullified Salah in a way that very few have which was great.

The issue is can he get us to go at teams and attacking fluently in a way that he couldn't against Sevilla because the latter stages of the Champions League, where no one has looked capable of defending, shows that you need to have more going forward.
The Sevilla game was a fruit of our general approach, not an isolated incident. That same reactive approach worked against Liverpool but the reality is that foolproof approaches don't exist and while ours allow us to get decent results it doesn't allow use to reach the best level that teams like Sevilla, Roma or Liverpool can reach, and to be clear I'm not saying that these teams are better, they are less consistent but they have the ability to reach higher grounds.
This is a reasonable point. I think the City game, Spurs (FA Cup) and Chelsea also show that we can and do look like a coherent attacking unit - players making runs off the ball, choosing when to cross, covering for each other and so on. But you are right, consistency is the issue.
The real problem with the team is complacency which Mourinho has alluded to. They seem to have to go 1-0 down to start playing. That shows immaturity. The Arsenal game was a great example of taking your foot off the gas and inviting pressure. I've heard Journalists say Mourinho depends on individual moments rather than attacking drills. It's become part of received wisdom now. But I do remember his Chelsea team and Madrid being particularly well drilled and coherent in their attacking play. (In Madrid's case, fantastic on the counter)

One thing I will say is that the best teams these days have the ability to go for it full pelt. Mourinho just doesn't do that and I think he's falling behind. His cautious approach is useful sometimes. 1-0 with 20 mins to go? Jose's approach is fantastic. 0-0 in the second leg and still waiting for the other team to make a mistake, terrible tactic these days. Hopefully he corrects it and soon.

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
I’m just curious, but what date will mark the longest time he’s ever spent at a club? The start of the 19/20 season?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Mourinho gets a lot right but next season he has to make better use of the offensive players. There's no reason for why United can't blow away teams more often. United has plenty of pace & power with players like Sanchez, Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Lukaku. Unleash it.

Chillosophy

I’m just curious, but what date will mark the longest time he’s ever spent at a club? The start of the 19/20 season?

For a single spell you mean? Think he's been at Chelsea in total 5-6 years across two periods, longest single spell was Real Madrid 2010-13? So yeah, longest time spent in a single spell will be United 19/20 as you say.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When was the last time we scored five goals in an offical match?
Maybe under Moyes.

Edit: Think it was against Danish club in Europa league when Depay became Messi and Maradona rolled into one.

Skills

Snitch
I am not surprised that there are people who want Jose sacked (thankfully, its not up to them), fans these days have no patience and lack any sensible reasoning on their views. Mourinho might as well won CL and PL this year, and would still be people out there complaining. It's more personal than anything else. Same people who want him sacked did not want him in the first place. I accept their opinion (or personal vendetta against him) but they should also respect that the majority of the fans are willing to give him more time (as the board/owners thankfully have clearly stated).

Heck, when I see Man City fans moaning about Pep not winning the quadruple, I feel happy to read your moaning day in day out.

If you get your wish and Jose leaves, then I would personally like a thread with your name on. Cause when the new manager (and your favorite) succeeds Jose, I would like to moan in your face after two years of/if winning nothing. Cause thats the most likely scenario.
Well it seems like you're a Jose fan, so why won't you just follow him to his new club? What would be the point of sticking around here then?

Loon

:lol:
For a single spell you mean? Think he's been at Chelsea in total 5-6 years across two periods, longest single spell was Real Madrid 2010-13? So yeah, longest time spent in a single spell will be United 19/20 as you say.
Yeah, single spell before fall-outs was what I was thinking.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Longest single spell was at Chelsea i think. He was their coach for first two months, so it's 3 seasons and 2 months. At Madrid it was 3.

Baxter

Fellaini and Matic against Brighton. No press at all. Peak Jose that.

Smithy_123

Watching that match and many others this season, it's shocking how far behind City we are. Liverpool too when you look at the football they play and will only get better from here on out. With us I'm doubtful how much we will improve.

Donnie Brasco

Needs to stop covering for the Glazers, second place and a FA cup with this team is overachieving. A 150 million budget on 2-3 players wont cut it.

Needs a massive window, our club can't carry that many mediocre or below average players season after season. Fullbacks needs to be a priority.

Minimalist

Hmmmm, yeah.

Sticking with my prediction that things will either magically fall into place and we'll win the title next season or Mourinho will lose his head and the dressing room, getting sacked during the season.

We've seen seriously shite football this season at times. I refuse to believe it's all down to the players.

3KDré

Very clearly not coaching attacking patterns, or coaching the younger players to show them where to move at certain times. Ignoring that, there probably about 2 players in the squad that consistently look motivated under his management. This isn't knee jerk, I've have the third option in the poll for a while.
He's done well, but not well enough.

Wayne's World

Seeing results and performances like tonight as I have been told really makes me feel uneasy about next season under him.

I'm not sure he's the manager who's going to take us forward for the future. Football has changed and he needs to change with it

kidbob

The fact he wants to keep Fellaini is enough for me to judge him as a coach.

Also for some reason seems to think Darmian is better than Shaw, which while Shaw isn't exactly great seems to point towards the onset of dementia.

Skills

Snitch
Hmmmm, yeah.

Sticking with my prediction that things will either magically fall into place and we'll win the title next season or Mourinho will lose his head and the dressing room, getting sacked during the season.

We've seen seriously shite football this season at times. I refuse to believe it's all down to the players.
I'd bet on the latter. I'm hoping the club a) has the balls to sack him when it falls apart rather than wait for us to not get top 4 or worse relegated b) someone in place to do a rescue mission

JohnnyKills

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he suffers another mutiny at United. The fact that players are picking and choosing their games doesn't bode well for him.

Zoo

There are no basic fundamentals to our play. In fact the team simply doesn’t play.

Remember when Fergie put thatbteam our against Arsenal with Rafael and Fabio on midfield?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Too many games like this. Too many matches where we fail to create anything of note. Too many matches where we look like 11 individuals. Two years in, I have no idea what Mourinho wants us to do. We’re fortunate to score the number of goals we do and fortunate to concede as little as we do. We’re flattering to deceive on a weekly basis and cannot expect to keep getting out of jail as often as we do. Luck can take you a long way in football with scoring remaining difficult and variation playing a big part. Cups and an inflated points total this season (along with a deflated one last season) are masking a real lack of progress.

I wanted Mou, I don’t think we should part with him yet, but I’m completely pessimistic about next season. City are the best in the country, Liverpool are a clear second. Both have clear direction and identity. We’re just a lumbering mess in comparison. De Gea will be in goal and Lukaku up front, but I’ve no idea what will be between them.

JohnnyKills

If United had won the PL and CL noone would be calling for his head. That's absurd.

And not all the critics didn't want him. I was more than happy for him to be appointed.

As for you wanting to moan in my face - hopefully i never meet you.

Raw

Conceding 4, scoring 1 and losing all games away against the promoted teams. Not to mention results like 0-0 v Southampton, 0-1 to West Brom or 2-2 v Stoke. That's 16 points dropped against teams struggling in the relegation fight, the same number of points between us and City right now.

Jose seriously needs to sort this out. It's all well and good winning against the top teams but dropping 16 points to these teams is an absolute joke.

Rajma

If United had won the PL and CL noone would be calling for his head. That's absurd.

And not all the critics didn't want him. I was more than happy for him to be appointed.

As for you wanting to moan in my face - hopefully i never meet you.
:lol: Some people can’t take any criticism it seems, was referring to the poster you replied to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.