Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Players who haven't played for a while, that was their opportunity. Might be unfair but that's football at its highest level, you come in and you impress as the next opportunity may not come around again. For me it just reinforced why they are not. Top players even when not playing well find a way of winning with a moment of brilliance. All had a chance with a tackle, a cross or a shot but didn't deliver. We need to find quality that genuinely puts pressure on those with the shirt....

shaky

Anyone saying United have spent peanuts since Ferguson retired (or even since Mourinho came in) is in deep need of medication.

We're incredibly low value for money. I'd pull up the numbers but they're not flattering.
We've still spent half a billion less than City in the past decade. And most of that was flushed down the toilet, long before Mourinho, on players we desperately need to replace now. I'm perfectly fine with letting Jose spend £400m this summer if it means we can dump 5 or 6 passengers.

Rajma

We are glorified game raisers.
I don’t think so to be honest, the only game we really risen to the occasion was Liverpool imo, the rest were meh and more about the other team than us. If we to breakdown our wins it really puts some perspective. Chelsea at home? They have given up since god knows when and downed the tools completely and visibly couldn’t be bothered during the game, we managed to scrape past them. New coach syndrome will get them back on the track next season. City? We have shown heart in the second half, but we scored with our only chances and the game realistically should have been long finished in the first half, 9 times out of 10 we get beaten playing like that. Arsenal? The less said about this one the better, it won’t be this easy next season, again. Spurs? Again shown good heart to comeback but it’s Spurs, really. Every big game we won this year was only by one goal advantage, fortunes might turn next year similar to his first year as we weren’t convincing in any of them in reality.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yeah that's the answer. Sell every fecker and spunk another £300m. Genius
Worked for Pep last summer. F'd off Hart, Kolarov, Zabaleta and other title winners and replaced them with lads in his own image and likeness. Even binned the likes of Bravo and Nolito that he'd brought in the year before.

Minimalist

We've still spent half a billion less than City in the past decade. And most of that was flushed down the toilet, long before Mourinho, on players we desperately need to replace now. I'm perfectly fine with letting Jose spend £400m this summer if it means we can dump 5 or 6 passengers.
The past decade? Jesus christ how far do you want to go back? We won the fecking league in 2013.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Mourinho has never built a squad in his career.
He in fact did build a squad. Firstly with Porto and then with Inter.

Also, I would want him sacked if we are off the pace in the league by the end of 2018 like we did at then end of 2017.

Oldyella

Players who haven't played for a while, that was their opportunity. Might be unfair but that's football at its highest level, you come in and you impress as the next opportunity may not come around again. For me it just reinforced why they are not. Top players even when not playing well find a way of winning with a moment of brilliance. All had a chance with a tackle, a cross or a shot but didn't deliver. We need to find quality that genuinely puts pressure on those with the shirt....
It never works when too many changes happen at once though, how many times did we drop out of cups while trying to cram several reserves in at once? If one or two step into the team, those who have been playing regularly keep the game pace at a level and the reserves play themselves into form. All those changes at once and we look like we did tonight.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Worked for Pep last summer. F'd off Hart, Kolarov, Zabaleta and other title winners and replaced them with lads in his own image and likeness. Even binned the likes of Bravo and Nolito that he'd brought in the year before.
There's many things that has worked for pep. Spending the amount of money he has is just one of them. He has also drastically improved his players through great coaching. Believe me, it pains me to blow smoke up his arse, but it's true. Simply continuing to replenish your team by binning loads of players and spunking obscene amounts of money in the vain hope that something happens is not the answer. Certainly shouldn't be the answer from a supposed great coach.

Rajma

It never works when too many changes happen at once though, how many times did we drop out of cups while trying to cram several reserves in at once? If one or two step into the team, those who have been playing regularly keep the game pace at a level and the reserves play themselves into form. All those changes at once and we look like we did tonight.
Stop talking sense.

redIndianDevil

He in fact did build a squad. Firstly with Porto and then with Inter.

Also, I would want him sacked if we are off the pace in the league by the end of 2018 like we did at then end of 2017.
Buying 4-5 players is not building a squad, it's adding on to existing one to make a short term gain. Inter took 3 years to clear up the mess left by Mourinho. Fortunately Porto, Real Madrid don't let the managers run wild with transfers. He clearly cost Chelsea too much by getting rid off De Bruyne, Salah and he would have sold off Hazard if the Chelsea board backed him in his last season there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We look pretty similar to this in the majority of games. Don't even try to pin this on too many changes/end of season shit. This was the usual trash we see from everyone.

redIndianDevil

There's many things that has worked for pep. Spending the amount of money he has is just one of them. He has also drastically improved his players through great coaching. Believe me, it pains me to blow smoke up his arse, but it's true. Simply continuing to replenish your team by binning loads of players and spunking obscene amounts of money in the vain hope that something happens is not the answer. Certainly shouldn't be the answer from a supposed great coach.
Exactly Sane would be on the bench alongside Martial if Mourinho signed him.

Eddy_JukeZ

The NBCSN commentators had a good point.

Mourinho just looks down all time and the team reflects the manager.

He's just so moody and bereft of that spark he once had.

He constantly defends HIMSELF instead of the TEAM in pressers lately.

InfiniteBoredom

We play like strangers on the pitch and this is down to the manager after 2 years with largely the same group of player.

It’s well and good expecting your players to be able to think on their feet, but most attacking coaches nowadays teach their players to move in tandem, so they can generally expect what would happen. Our players are guessing everytime.

Member 5225

Good job Jose was sacked in the 2013/14 season at Chelski when it was basically a carbon-copy of this.

*looks up 2014/15 season* oh wait....

shaky

The past decade? Jesus christ how far do you want to go back? We won the fecking league in 2013.
Shows how much more City have spent since they started splashing the cash. There was about £700m spent on the Utd squad in the 7 or 8 years before Jose, yet what was the value of the squad he inherited? I'd be surprised if we had more than 3 players worth over £30m.

ZenMaster Coltrane

Would Klopp, Pep or any manager with a track record of improving young attacking players ever say what Mourinho said after the game? Trent Arnold would have been hardly playing under Mourinho based purely on his mistakes. Forget about him even reaching the level he's at now.

The spacing, passing and tempo were/are just atrocious. It's like those warmup training drills where you waltz around and make 4 yard passes back to your teammates. No incisive forward balls from the back. Mata running sideways and backwards. 4-5 players grouped and static. Rashford seemingly with no understanding of where he should be at any given moment in the final third.

And this is all on Mourinho. This system of attack is actually lesser than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

Denis79

The NBCSN commentators had a good point.

Mourinho just looks down all time and the team reflects the manager.

He's just so moody and bereft of that spark he once had.

He constantly defends HIMSELF instead of the TEAM in pressers lately
Good point. I'm still pro Mourinho but that is very true and very annoying.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Credit for the general progress, points in the league and big games results.

But, it's hard to like our playing style and I hate his man management.

FujiVice

Battered wife syndrome at the minute. Just because he's not quite as shit as Van Gaal and Moyes doesnt mean this is acceptable. Horribly dull football and when it does wrong its everyone elses fault.

Cheekiey

Seriously I'm now officially 100% behind Mourinho in who he buys and sells. Today has proved it's the players and not Jose. Picked players we the fans wanted to see (Rashford, Martial, Mata, Rojo, Shaw ect.) and didn't display what they are capable off. It was their time to shine and they didn't.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Battered wife syndrome at the minute. Just because he's not quite as shit as Van Gaal and Moyes doesnt mean this is acceptable. Horribly dull football and when it does wrong its everyone elses fault.
Come on, that's an awful analogy.:lol:

John_K

Youth Team Player
He needs to go.

Disgraceful playing style, horrendous man management. Who would enjoy playing for him?

He’s just not the right fit for this amazing club. I’m not even excited to watch the games anymore because I know how dull they will be.

ZombieFootball

I honestly expected us to see some sort of progress in our play by now, but other then the start of the season we have been very slow, unprecise and random in our play, no patterns and they look like its the first time they play togheter. Next season needs really to be much much better.

Zoo

Rubbish post-match comments. Martial will probably go this summer and Rashford will be sidelined with speculation about him leaving being a hot topic next season.

Litch

I think sometimes we look at success as winning, but managers might be looking at other things also. For me it's frustrating we lost but that wasn't about going for the league, we can still finish second. Managers give players every opportunity to prove him wrong and frankly they didnt. This wasn't about the team today, I genuinely think it was about individual performances which Jose probably thought was enough to win a football match....

Canagel

Ultimately buck stops with the manager. He has assembled a team of brutes. A lot of physicality but very little footballing ability and very lacking in technical ability. People should not be surprised at the style of our football. The lack of intensity IMO is directly related to the nature of the team. Too slow, too weak. Valencia, Smalling, Young, Matic, Fellaini, Lukaku, Mata all players who fall into this category. These are our so called senior players. We need deftness of touch, trickery instead we have this cumbersome group of players. We lack players with a low centre of gravity. Players that can beat a man. Look at Knockaert and Izqueirdo today. Years ago they might have been playing for United.

We seem to play in short bursts. Something is lacking. Very rarely are we able to put teams under sustained pressure. We only step it up when we go behind and even that is due to initial burst of adrenaline when you are losing and start to get a bit desperate. Players take it more into their own hands. And even then we are still clueless because there's no defined style of play and no rehearsed patterns of play that we can fall back on. Mourinho for me is the biggest problem of all and has to change the profile of player he is signing in the future if he wants to be successful. The tactics are disgraceful at times but the personnel is lacking too. Mourinho is responsible for both things so I wouldn't be unhappy to see the back of him really because I can only see things getting worse from here. There are a lot of average/mediocre players that's he's decided to keep and are not of the required standard to play for United. So he shouldn't feel let down when those players don't perform. These players must be discarded. Then he should be working hard with another group of players on getting the best out of them consistently instead of throwing them under the bus when things aren't coming off always. He has failed to do both these things so I can't feel too sorry for him.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think his football is the way forward, it feels like were stuck between a rock and hard place right now...

Jig1234

If he got sacked I wouldn't lose sleep over. Look at the quality of our football. Forget the league position and look at the performance level, the intensity of our play, the manner of our defeats. Mourinho has not build a team. We can only win matches when a moment of individual brilliance bails us out. We don't play football that is conducive for winning football matches consistently.

Just look at our players. De Gea and possibly Lukaku have had good seasons. I don't think anyone else is, no one thriving or enjoying themselves under Mourinho. We are 2nd in the Premier League but only De Gea would get in the team of the season.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
In a way tonight was very fitting, especially with the post match comments from Mourinho.

Basically he's give the players enough rope to hang themselves and make it so blatantly clear to the fans that this is what he's been dealing with. All the issues the fans have had with certain players not playing, instantly put to bed. It was a mic drop moment from Mourinho to the fans that blamed him for everything.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If he got sacked I wouldn't lose sleep over. Look at the quality of our football. Forget the league position and look at the performance level, the intensity of our play, the manner of our defeats. Mourinho has not build a team. We can only win matches when a moment of individual brilliance bails us out. We don't play football that is conducive for winning football matches consistently.

Just look at our players. De Gea and possibly Lukaku have had good seasons. I don't think anyone else is, no one thriving or enjoying themselves under Mourinho. We are 2nd in the Premier League but only De Gea would get in the team of the season.
The players are crap mate. Even the ones we thought were our great hope and our future, have been shown up big time. Time to accept we were just wrong about these players.

My feeling after tonight is that Mourinho has played a blinder getting this shower into 2nd.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
When you're manager is begging Fellaini to stay then you really have to worry.

I don't expect anything much next season.

Just pissed off that the people in charge at the club are just allowing him to have his way when clearly his judgment on players and style of play is very questionable.

bleedred

Anyone saying United have spent peanuts since Ferguson retired (or even since Mourinho came in) is in deep need of medication.

We're incredibly low value for money. I'd pull up the numbers but they're not flattering.
We have had some big money failures/underperformers after Fergie. I can agree with that, but it is going to happen for every club. It will always be a trial and error process.

People say spurs, Liverpool and city have found the value for money but conveniently ignore all the big money failures over the years for them. The likes of Nolito, soldado, balotelli, benteke weren’t cheap by any standards.

Utdstar01

Buying 4-5 players is not building a squad, it's adding on to existing one to make a short term gain. Inter took 3 years to clear up the mess left by Mourinho. Fortunately Porto, Real Madrid don't let the managers run wild with transfers. He clearly cost Chelsea too much by getting rid off De Bruyne, Salah and he would have sold off Hazard if the Chelsea board backed him in his last season there.
Why isn't it?

Jig1234

The players are crap mate. Even the ones we thought were our great hope and our future, have been shown up big time. Time to accept we were just wrong about these players.

My feeling after tonight is that Mourinho has played a blinder getting this shower into 2nd.
What players are crap? - I have read some of his post-match comments but I don't agree with them. He is using this defeat to justify not giving games to Martial and Rashford but that's like saying we are Real Madrid when Lukaku and Sanchez play. Even when he picks his best/favourite team the performance level is still poor.

I don't think finishing 2nd means as much as people think. Yes I accept he has got us a safe position and got us safely into the Champions League but I look at City and Liverpool and see two teams are progressive at a very fast rate. Liverpool with less resources than us.

Klopp and Pep, both are getting everything from the players and using the squad well. Mourinho isn't getting a tune out anyone. We are 2nd because we have De Gea. I honestly think Utd would be crawling for a Europa League position without him.

Bwuk

We have a very talented set of attackers.

Who is Jose getting the best out of? Surely his job is to get the best out of our side - which he isn’t doing.

We are awful to watch. We’ve scrapped by a lot of games because we have better players than sides, not because we are a better side than them.

Member 5225

We have a very talented set of attackers.

Who is Jose getting the best out of? Surely his job is to get the best out of our side - which he isn’t doing.

We are awful to watch. We’ve scrapped by a lot of games because we have better players than sides, not because we are a better side than them.
Porto, Inter, RMadrid and Chelski say hi.
He has improved countless players. People talking as if he's some average joe just handed the job!

Bwuk

Porto, Inter, RMadrid and Chelski say hi.
He has improved countless players. People talking as if he's some average joe just handed the job!
So? That’s not United.

Which of our attackers are we getting the best out of? Lukaku has probably been our best attacker this season and he scored more at Everton in the league last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.