g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Brilliant win. Was always going to be tight.

Think we will drop points against Chelsea though.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Even if our attack didn’t quite have that oomph; we pressed high up the pitch, fought for every ball and were pro-active against a very good side high on confidence. Even without Kane they’re still a cohesive unit and move the ball around well so to have limited them to essentially one chance all game was solid. We’re much better with this formation and I hope to see it more often - with Lukaku, Martial and Rashford in the side a 2 striker system definitely suits us and less prone to have our forward isolated (which has happened for prolonged periods recently) and Young looks decent at lwb.

We may not have controlled the game as much as we’d like but on chances created deserved to win.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
They are all over the forum even after. I'm not sure what you mean by childish but it's only natural that irrational criticism after this performance will be ridiculed to some degree.
Ridiculing someone for their opinion is childish so you've answered your own question there.
Whether it's irrational criticism or not it certainly doesn't help when people get up on their high horse before they respond to it by saying that everyone who's not on their side of the fence doesn't know anything about the game and you're all just whiners who should be happy with everything and everyone because we won/didn't lose.

It's perfectly possible to be thrilled about the outcome of a game and at the same time less than impressed by how it was played. It doesn't make anyone a whiner or clueless about the game.

Janson

Ridiculing someone for their opinion is childish so you've answered your own question there.
Whether it's irrational criticism or not it certainly doesn't help when people get up on their high horse before they respond to it by saying that everyone who's not on their side of the fence doesn't know anything about the game and you're all just whiners who should be happy with everything and everyone because we won/didn't lose.

It's perfectly possible to be thrilled about the outcome of a game and at the same time less than impressed by how it was played. It doesn't make anyone a whiner or clueless about the game.
So if someone posts their opinion and you think it's ridiculous, you're then supposed to try and have a sensible discussion with them? I don't see what the point is, especially when you know the poster has a clear agenda based on their history. It would probably drive you mad if you tried to argue with everyone that is delusional.

If these people are thrilled about the win as you claim, then they have a really strange way of showing it. It's clear to me that some are so anti Mourinho that they can't wait for a slip up, just so they can be proved right.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He got lucky today. Our football was poor and I hope he ensures it is rectified.

Water Melon

Credit where it's due, we won deservedly. An important result and you could see it means a lot to Jose. A win against Chelsea would show that Huddersfield and Liverpool games were basically one-offs not a trend.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
So if someone posts their opinion and you think it's ridiculous, you're then supposed to try and have a sensible discussion with them? I don't see what the point is, especially when you know the poster has a clear agenda based on their history. It would probably drive you mad if you tried to argue with everyone that is delusional.

If these people are thrilled about the win as you claim, then they have a really strange way of showing it. It's clear to me that some are so anti Mourinho that they can't wait for a slip up, just so they can be proved right.
Well everything doesn't have to be so black and white, ridiculing someone or trying to have a sensible discussion aren't the only options when you disagree with someone. Even it they were you don't have to do either of them. I would personally use the ignore function instead of ridiculing someone I think has a history of crap posts since the latter only makes myself look like a bit of a plonker as well and it's not constructive in any way whatsoever.

Minimalist

Well everything doesn't have to be so black and white, ridiculing someone or trying to have a sensible discussion aren't the only options when you disagree with someone. Even it they were you don't have to do either of them. I would personally use the ignore function instead of ridiculing someone I think has a history of crap posts since the latter only makes myself look like a bit of a plonker as well and it's not constructive in any way whatsoever.
Oh but it does for these people.

Either you love Mourinho or you hate him (whilst also delusional apparently).

Andersons Dietician

Don't say that. There are a growing band of numpties that have convinced themselves that Marouane Fellaini is a reincarnation of Zinedine Zidane.

The only player we miss is Pogba, although some will have you know Marcos Rojo might make all the difference, too.
Yeah but have you seen that video with Fellaini compared to Zidanne? It’s uncanny :lol::lol:

Janson

It isn't black and white. There are posters who you can have a sensible discussion with and they are in the majority. I'm talking about posts that seem so far from reality, which aren't worthy(to me) of anything more than a green smiley. If someone says to you today, that the world is flat, are you gonna try and argue with them? Yes you can ignore, everyone has the right to respond however they want. If someone is posting on a public forum though, they should always be ready for criticism, no matter what form.

Like I said before, there is plenty on the forum that's interesting to read or argue with. But even if there's bad posters, I don't like to put anyone on ignore, I've never done that. It's like denying reality. I prefer to read everyone's opinion, just for the comedic value if nothing else.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
^Speaking of Fellaini, what with the bigging up of the fellow recently? Everytime people want to justify our recent poor play some people bring up missing Fellaini and Pogba for that as key players.

I mean sure we miss Pogba and his quality but Fellaini is at best a squad player and in no way should his absence cripple a team as big and expensive as ours.

It's been quite odd reading Fellaini from various posts as if he'd have been some sort of solution to our current predicaments and our lack of cohesive attacking plays.

Janson

Oh but it does for these people.

Either you love Mourinho or you hate him (whilst also delusional apparently).
Where did I say it's either you love him or hate him?

It's apparent that some who never wanted him in the first place will criticise him no matter what. That's not delusional, only agenda driven.

What's delusional is expecting us to play in a way that is never gonna happen under Mourinho and then being all surprised and outraged at how we play during and after the game.

prtk0811

^Speaking of Fellaini, what with the bigging up of the fellow recently? Everytime people want to justify our recent poor play some people bring up missing Fellaini and Pogba for that as key players.

I mean sure we miss Pogba and his quality but Fellaini is at best a squad player and in no way should his absence cripple a team as big and expensive as ours.

It's been quite odd reading Fellaini from various posts as if he'd have been some sort of solution to our current predicaments and our lack of cohesive attacking plays.
Its about the numbers in the midfeild. if opposition keep the ball at all times a 3v2 really gets dominated and a 4v2 is even more tough to winin a midfeild battle that's where we need an extra number in the midfeild to win the midfeild battle which decides who is going to dominate the ball and playing attacking football.

That's why even fellani is hugely advantageous as he gives the work rate , the numerical balance and the target man option to by pass the midfeild when needed and a goal scoring option in opposition box. Mourinho has improved fellani a lot in terms of his effectiveness. And pogba is pogba .

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I can remember the zombie football thread under Fergie, if fans were critical then when we were winning it's no shock they are now too.

I think Jose's done a really good job so far. We don't play total football. We never have. For me the key thing is to see us start winning again. For the first time since Fergie we look like we might do that (while peppering some of the lower lights of the league). I'll take that!

SirAF

Ageist
I can remember the zombie football thread under Fergie, if fans were critical then when we were winning it's no shock they are now too.

I think Jose's done a really good job so far. We don't play total football. We never have. For me the key thing is to see us start winning again. For the first time since Fergie we look like we might do that (while peppering some of the lower lights of the league). I'll take that!
Spot on, mate.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Thankfully he isn't managing Liverpool, 'cause they may have actually won something.

cyberman

Of all the games to say that after, Mcmanaman chooses the win v Spurs who destroyed them last week.
If this were a game, Mcmanaman would hear that and do his patented OOOOOOOO off mic but heard through his co commentators shite he has going on.

el3mel

I wish somebody asked him whether he's happy winning feck all
What do we know ? Heavy metal football is more important than trophies. The problem is they're not even playing that heavy metal football to start with. :lol:

Womp

idiot
We've nearly gotten through a very tough period of games, without our best player and injuries to some key players. One more result (a draw or nick a win) at Chelsea and we are back in the title race.

With an 'easier' run of games coming up after this period, key players returning from injury and City looking like they aren't as invincible as everyone though against Brom who knows. Hopefully we're just in pole position to capitalise when City inevitably struggle as all clubs do.

Womp

idiot

Maybe not, but he's been very good for us this season. Not to add his size is the most reliable way to overcome a press. Would have helped in the Liverpool game severely for that reason, not to add we'd have had another midfielder available which would have meant we could have played with a midfield 3 or with Fellaini at 10 dropping back into midfield, resulting in Liverpool not outnumbering us in midfield and pushing us back. That game was so dire as we couldn't get out of midfield due to a lack of numbers in the middle of the pitch, having two players who do literally exactly the same job (neither of whom are good at carrying the ball - something Pogba is immense at) and getting gegen pressed.

The Huddersfield game was just a terrible performance and against Spurs although we won, he would have helped for the same reasons I explained at Liverpool. A player doesn't have to be World Class for him to be missed. Every player in our squad offers different attributes to the team and if we don't have another player who can fulfil that role, if we do need that role, we will struggle.

Womp

idiot
He got lucky today. Our football was poor and I hope he ensures it is rectified.
Did he? We created the better and more chances, so we deserved to win. People harp on about that Alli chance claiming if he hit it better yet ignore our chances. Lukaku hit the post, Rashford was too slow to release Lukaku in a mile of space early in the game when we counter attacked, Mkhi chose to play the ball through to Lukaku instead of Rashford in space when we counter attacked later in the game, which would have put Rashford through one on one with the keeper. That's the chances I can think of off the top of my head that could have resulted in a goal with a bit more clinical edge, I'm sure there was even more. Apart from the Alli chance, I can't think of anything else Spurs really created that scared me.

It wasn't great football by any means, but given injuries etc. it was a professional performance and could be vital come the end of the season as I'm positive Spurs will take some points from our rivals.

We took our chance when it came. We were lucky Kane was out, not over the outcome of the game. City have had a few lucky breaks in games this season too, I'd argue more than we have, yet it's not spoken about because they're still winning. Against Bournemouth, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. with lucky goals, injuries to key players and daft sending offs early in games. You need luck to win trophies anyway

Last edited:

ChaddyP

I wish somebody asked him whether he's happy winning feck all
i watched the whole thing. they asked him if he would rather come second playing pretty or finish first playing "boring". in the end he kinda stuttered and said "of course I would rather to win"

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
i watched the whole thing. they asked him if he would rather come second playing pretty or finish first playing "boring". in the end he kinda stuttered and said "of course I would rather to win"
Exactly. When it comes down to it, he hasn't even got the courage of his convictions. It all comes down to winning at the end of the day. We all like to see entertaining football from time to time, and i think we could do better on that front, but without the winning, it's all superficial.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Genuine question - did you really expect an open game with lot of goals. Because the game went exactly the way I had anticipated. Two defensively solid teams who couldnt lose and coming after a midweek game.

Yes, got lucky with the goal and the result could have gone either ways ( Alli' s chance) but I will take it and move on.

No complaints from me.

amolbhatia50k

Did he? We created the better and more chances, so we deserved to win. People harp on about that Alli chance claiming if he hit it better yet ignore our chances. Lukaku hit the post, Rashford was too slow to release Lukaku in a mile of space early in the game when we counter attacked, Mkhi chose to play the ball through to Lukaku instead of Rashford in space when we counter attacked later in the game, which would have put Rashford through one on one with the keeper. That's the chances I can think of off the top of my head that could have resulted in a goal with a bit more clinical edge, I'm sure there was even more. Apart from the Alli chance, I can't think of anything else Spurs really created that scared me.

It wasn't great football by any means, but given injuries etc. it was a professional performance and could be vital come the end of the season as I'm positive Spurs will take some points from our rivals.

We took our chance when it came. We were lucky Kane was out, not over the outcome of the game. City have had a few lucky breaks in games this season too, I'd argue more than we have, yet it's not spoken about because they're still winning. Against Bournemouth, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. with lucky goals, injuries to key players and daft sending offs early in games. You need luck to win trophies anyway
Not lucky in the sense that the win was underserved and that's Spurs were the better team. It was a fairly even game.

Rather, that were absolutely dreadful on the ball and a better team (on the day) would have beaten us. Seriously our defence is good and I'm also very happy with the win, but we can analyse performances too. We appeared drunk at times. Pass after pass aimlessly whacked towards a team mate hopefully. The level at which we played was t good enough.

Anyway Martial saved the day so it's all good. But the manager must ensure the standard is higher than that. He'll know that I'm sure.

amolbhatia50k

Genuine question - did you really expect an open game with lot of goals. Because the game went exactly the way I had anticipated. Two defensively solid teams who couldnt lose and coming after a midweek game.

Yes, got lucky with the goal and the result could have gone either ways ( Alli' s chance) but I will take it and move on.

No complaints from me.
No, but I do expect better football (as Spurs fan may have done from their team?).

As will I. Good result. Now let's best Chelsea.

Womp

idiot
Not lucky in the sense that the win was underserved and that's Spurs were the better team. It was a fairly even game.

Rather, that were absolutely dreadful on the ball and a better team (on the day) would have beaten us. Seriously our defence is good and I'm also very happy with the win, but we can analyse performances too. We appeared drunk at times. Pass after pass aimlessly whacked towards a team mate hopefully. The level at which we played was t good enough.

Anyway Martial saved the day so it's all good. But the manager must ensure the standard is higher than that. He'll know that I'm sure.
Yea fair enough, I said as much that the football was shite. To be fair though, I really do think we are really missing Pogba. A lot of our play goes through the middle of the pitch due to not having very good fullbacks (from an attacking standpoint anyway) and when we have essentially two defensive midfielders, neither of whom are comfortable or particularly good at carrying the ball forward, our football is going to always struggle as a result. I love Herrera, my favourite player at the club, but what he does is exactly what Matic does, only to a lower standard. They don't seem to really compliment each-other well considering they're both looking to do the same thing and occupying the same areas either.

If we can get through the Chelsea game, we'd have gotten through a very tough period of games with our best outfield player out. It'd put us in a good position for the upcoming games with players returning from injury and qualification from the CL groups just about already secured. We just gotta hope we're in a position to punish City when they do inevitably slip up.

amolbhatia50k

Yea fair enough, I said as much that the football was shite. To be fair though, I really do think we are really missing Pogba. A lot of our play goes through the middle of the pitch due to not having very good fullbacks (from an attacking standpoint anyway) and when we have essentially two defensive midfielders, neither of whom are comfortable or particularly good at carrying the ball forward, our football is going to always struggle as a result. I love Herrera, my favourite player at the club, but what he does is exactly what Matic does, only to a lower standard. They don't seem to really compliment each-other well considering they're both looking to do the same thing and occupying the same areas either.

If we can get through the Chelsea game, we'd have gotten through a very tough period of games with our best outfield player out. It'd put us in a good position for the upcoming games with players returning from injury and qualification from the CL groups just about already secured. We just gotta hope we're in a position to punish City when they do inevitably slip up.
We do miss Pogba which is why the hype about Kane being missing was so strange. Both teams missed quality players rather than just the one.

But it really shouldn't affect us to badly IMO. A top player should give you that extra class. But your fluidity, ability to circulate the ball and fine pockets of space shouldn't completely fall apart. I hope we work on it big time.

Yeah Chelsea game is huge. Normally you'd take a draw but given the table we probably need a win.

haram

Perhaps people should consider that Pogba is out injured, and then fully judge us once he is back.

ROFLUTION

Just came to post this:

14 games - 11 wins - 2 draws, 1 loss.

That is truly great overall considering where we have been. At home we've 5 games all won (15-0) with an average score of 3-0.

If City had not been this great, commentators and people would have been praising Mourinho for his turn-around.

Shaun88

If we are still in the title race and the Champions League come April, it will represent a huge improvement on anything we have seen since saf retired. I like Jose and im happy to wait until the end of the season to judge him but ill admit that I would like to see an improvement in the attacking side of the game

Smores

Just came to post this:

14 games - 11 wins - 2 draws, 1 loss.

That is truly great overall considering where we have been. At home we've 5 games all won (15-0) with an average score of 3-0.

If City had not been this great, commentators and people would have been praising Mourinho for his turn-around.
Not sure, people have it in their heads that Jose is negative therefore if we don't win in amazing fashion we're shit. We had 4-5 good chances against Spurs but obviously that's not enough.

ROFLUTION

Not sure, people have it in their heads that Jose is negative therefore if we don't win in amazing fashion we're shit. We had 4-5 good chances against Spurs but obviously that's not enough.
I swear the caf and football-fans in general have the memory of a goldfish. Modern man, always complaining. Not sure we're gonna win the league, but we're on to something good.

Water Melon

League table at the end of the season will show where we are. So far we are second, will hopefully improve with expected returns of several players and get better. The main concern will we be fighting for the title come April or thinking about top 4 spot. I do not expect the team to win the league this season so it won't be something excellent or exceptional. Fighting for the title till the very last few games will make it a good season, trying to get into top 4 would constitute an okay job done by Jose. Missing top 4 should be unforgivable in my opinion, unless we go really really far in the CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.