Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Genius football decision to play our best attacking players on the pitch together. Takes a real expert manager to think of that.

Jokes aside, thank feck he is at least trying it and isn't that fecking stubborn to ignore it, even if it is a last ditch scenario to save the game.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
We are simply not good enough to win a title.

And havent looked like that for 4 years now.

A top 3 with 80 plus points will be good enough this season.(and would be our best effort in years)

A lot of it fans simply need a dose of realism. We are far away from being as good as we once where.
Did people actually believe we could win the title this season? Top 3 would be a very good season for us.

JoaquinJoaquin

We were never going to win the title this season anyways, people who thought otherwise had the blinkers on well and truly. Simple fact is, we aren't good enough at present and need another Summer IMO.

Stringer

He has received a lot of praise for his signings but I have my doubts. Mkhitaryan and Lindelof look awful while he didn't bother strengthening the attack during the summer when it was clearly necessary.

JoaquinJoaquin

Did people actually believe we could win the title this season? Top 3 would be a very good season for us.
Yes alot of people did. Often the same ones who massively overrate our players into thinking they are world class when they are far from it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We were never going to win the title this season anyways, people who thought otherwise had the blinkers on well and truly. Simple fact is, we aren't good enough at present and need another Summer IMO.
I don't think there was anything wrong with expecting us to have a genuine chance of the title considering the amount of money we've spent since Mourinho arrived. I'm happy to give him more time provided we make proper progress this season and finish 2nd/3rd, but our ambitions this season absolutely should be for competing for the title at the very least.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
At present, we're on 4 points out of our last 12 and the predictable downturn in results was always going to happen - too bad people were getting carried away with flukey 4-0 wins at the arse end of a few games against the worst sides in the league.

I've been calling it for weeks. This is no better than Van Gaal.
Statistically 23 points out of 30 is one of our best ever starts in premier league history.

But who cares about facts.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'm not too critical of Jose today, he setup to try and play and win the game we are missing Pogba and a few more quality players. Micki and Herrera really letting him down.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I have no idea why the “we haven’t got a good enough team to compete for the league” is being used as an excuse for Mourinho. If we’re not good enough, then that’s squarely on him at this point.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
At present, we're on 4 points out of our last 12 and the predictable downturn in results was always going to happen - too bad people were getting carried away with flukey 4-0 wins at the arse end of a few games against the worst sides in the league.

I've been calling it for weeks. This is no better than Van Gaal.
Wouldnt say that but he isnt great.

K2K

A lot did.

I always thought Spurs and City would finish ahead of us.

And I still do. Would still keep Jose in the job easily though if we came third.

Massive signs of improvement this season, but games like this show that plenty of work to be done too.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I don't think there was anything wrong with expecting us to have a genuine chance of the title considering the amount of money we've spent since Mourinho arrived. I'm happy to give him more time provided we make proper progress this season and finish 2nd/3rd, but our ambitions this season absolutely should be for competing for the title at the very least.
We finished 5th last season so expecting the jump upto coming 1st was unrealistic tbh. But agree would expect us to challenge but not massively dissappointed if we don't as we are still work in progress.

MDFC Manager

Not challenging for the title, while playing shit on a stick football.

Another summer (or 10) for Mourinho and he'll fix it though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not too critical of Jose today, he setup to try and play and win the game we are missing Pogba and a few more quality players. Micki and Herrera really letting him down.
So Jose's United are nothing without Pogba? Mikhi was his own signing who apparently keeps letting him down. The signing by Jose appears to have let us all down.

People are just making excuses. You cant spend 300 million and play this kind of football. And you're entire football plan without which everything falls apart cant rely on one player.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I have no idea why the “we haven’t got a good enough team to compete for the league” is being used as an excuse for Mourinho. If we’re not good enough, then that’s squarely on him at this point.
Yeah, as I've said I'm absolutely willing to give him more time because I do think we've made major strides and are much better team than we were before he arrived, but one of Mourinho's best qualities throughout his career has been to come into a team and have them winning almost immediately. He's spent a ton of money and isn't exactly disadvantaged compared to other teams on that front.

Conte came into a Chelsea team who finished 10th and won the title with them in his first season. Plenty of people were saying Guardiola's City side had plenty of weaknesses last season, and before he arrived they barely scraped a top four position.

Fracture90

Statistically 23 points out of 30 is one of our best ever starts in premier league history.

But who cares about facts.
Because we were stat peddling against weaker teams and even against those teams we looked really bad at times.

We scraped a 1:0 win vs Spurs that were without Kane and tucked our tail between our legs vs Liverpool, same as we're doing against Chelsea.

Don't let those stats fool you, the reason we made that many points is because we faced poor opposition.

JoaquinJoaquin

Don't get me wrong, I wanted us to at least show a fight but was never expecting us to go all the way. I'd be happy with 3rd this season if truth be told and that's probably where we should be aiming.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
So Jose's United are nothing without Pogba? Mikhi was his own signing who apparently keeps letting him down. The signing by Jose appears to have let us all down.

People are just making excuses. You cant spend 300 million and play this kind of football. And you're entire football plan without which everything falls apart cant rely on one player.
Never said we are nothing without Pogba, but we do miss him any team would. Look at the difference Kante has made to Chelsea after coming back. And yes it's Micki's fault for not performing, he can't pass, dribble or keep the ball only he can help himself with those issues.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We finished 5th last season so expecting the jump upto coming 1st was unrealistic tbh. But agree would expect us to challenge but not massively dissappointed if we don't as we are still work in progress.
Chelsea finished 10th before Conte arrived and produced one of the most dominant PL seasons we've seen last year. Guardiola's City weren't much better than us when he arrived and yet look a lot better than us right now. Expecting him to win the title immediately may have been a lofty ambition, but I'm not sure it's a particularly absurd one.

NinjaFletch

Genuine question. Why?

It seems to me the biggest issue was the fact we didn't add to the attack, but its well known we missed out on our first target because he decided to stay at the last minute and we couldn't do a deal for Mourinho's other choice.

I don't see how thats an issue that can be laid at Mourinho's feet; it's a failure at board level.

I really can't believe that anyone went into this season thinking we had good enough players to win the league.

Hawks2008

He has us playing some of the worst attacking football in the league, I know we're among the top scorers but much of that is due to overpowering beaten teams at the end rather than the fluid and incisive footbal

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looking at the last few weeks and the quality of our football, we look like we're in a top 4 batle.
Never said we are nothing without Pogba, but we do miss him any team would. Look at the difference Kante has made to Chelsea after coming back. And yes it's Micki's fault for not performing, he can't pass, dribble or keep the ball only he can help himself with those issues.
And Jose signed him. Well done on that.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Chelsea finished 10th before Conte arrived and produced one of the most dominant PL seasons we've seen last year. Guardiola's City weren't much better than us when he arrived and yet look a lot better than us right now. Expecting him to win the title immediately may have been a lofty ambition, but I'm not sure it's a particularly absurd one.
Unrealistic not absurd. I wouldn't imagine what Chelsea did last season has happened often, it's more of an exception rather than a rule.

SirAF

Ageist
Because we were stat peddling against weaker teams and even against those teams we looked really bad at times.

We scraped a 1:0 win vs Spurs that were without Kane and tucked our tail between our legs vs Liverpool, same as we're doing against Chelsea.

Don't let those stats fool you, the reason we made that many points is because we faced poor opposition.
"Stat padding" is one of the worst terms in football.

Kapardin

Genuine question. Why?

It seems to me the biggest issue was the fact we didn't add to the attack, but its well known we missed out on our first target because he decided to stay at the last minute and we couldn't do a deal for Mourinho's other choice.

I don't see how thats an issue that can be laid at Mourinho's feet; it's a failure at board level.

I really can't believe that anyone went into this season thinking we had good enough players to win the league.
I am at a loss to know why Ed didn't sanction a move for Perisic.

We buy the likes of Di Maria and Pogba for big money when we are not in the CL. When we do make the CL, we can't pay 2 more mil for player that the manager wants? Not absolving Mourinho of blame for some of his tactics, but I am wondering if our board actually backed him.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Unrealistic not absurd. I wouldn't imagine what's Chelsea did last season has happened often, it's more of an exception rather than a rule.
Well yeah, but that was in Conte's first season. Him coming in and winning the title immediately would've been unexpected; by his second season he'd have been expected to have Chelsea in a position to compete again. I'd say the same applies for us. Mourinho's job was to get us back into the CL; he did that, albeit through a cup competition as opposed to the league. As a result his job was to build upon that and aim for the title this season. Winning it with City doing as well as they are was always going to be difficult, but competing for it considering what we've spent should be a basic aim.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I feel like he got his set-up wrong today, as the SS pundits (Neville/Henry) have said, a lot of stopping Chelsea playing comes from cutting off Hazard and Fabregas, give them time and space and they'll run the game all day. If Fellaini was fit enough for the bench, he probably should have started over Mkhitaryan and gone 4-3-3, be busier in midfield and press those players when they're on the ball.

This is aside from the fact Mkhitaryan shouldn't be anywhere near the team at present. Must lose possession 70% of the time he gets it, how he's made it so far with his inability to control a football is beyond me.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I only criticized him once this season - against Huddersfield. Today would be the second time. Poor tactical preparation in both those games. Goals conceded in the most common ways the opponents score, both times.

Robindinho

Our ‘football’ is embarrassing, we’ve not had a shot second half and we’re meant to be chasing the game. He literally has no clue when we have to attack.

K2K

We have faced those poor decisions over the last 4 years, and lost many times. But lets ignore that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.