Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobbs

Huge pressure on his next few signings.

Anyone who looks at performances(instead of focussing purely on current league position) can see the problems that will dog us all season.

So he's got to get the next few players in spot on.

Ban

Wich is no surprise. Jose doesn't seem like the right guy to get Mkhitaryan going. He is just extremely sensible. If you play him out of position and the team is not looking good, it just gets to him. Mourinho's style in general doesn't suit him. Mkhitaryan needs a more constructive, aggressive and active style to shine. He needs the ball a lot, needs quick transitions and teammates who make a lot of runs. And he's lost in the middle.
Today he played in his position. I dont think it's the only problem. When he's brushed from the ball or displaces passes or is generally weak it's not the manager who is the problem, it's the player.
And he's sensible and is depressed if he's not in his favorite position? My god, we shouldn't have bought him in the first place..

aditya826

Problem with United isn't that we played poorly vs top 5. Problem is we STILL continue to drop points vs teams we should be squashing.
Stoke. huddersfield 5 points we could have won more than we have now.

We had the easiest of starting fixtures as compared to other top 5, and we have bottled it and performed worst. Don't see the league table its a lie.

If things continue like this, we might struggle to be top 4.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Today he played in his position. I dont think it's the only problem. When he's brushed from the ball or displaces passes or is generally weak it's not the manager who is the problem, it's the player.
And he's sensible and is depressed if he's not in his favorite position? My god, we shouldn't have bought him in the first place..
Yes he is. Once he's off his game, he needs time to recapture form. Was the same at Dortmund. He is a wonderful player when on form. Almost unstoppable. But he is extremely sensible, almost labile. Klopp for example never reached him. Tuchel on the other hand knew how to handle him and got him going. You need to be very careful with him as a coach. But I think he is worth the investment. But yes, if you can't or don't want to do it, you shouldn't have bought him.
He's like that sensible kid who's rather in the kitchen with his mother than at the playground. Tough love won't get you anywhere.

Ban

Problem with United isn't that we played poorly vs top 5. Problem is we STILL continue to drop points vs teams we should be squashing.
Stoke. huddersfield 5 points we could have won more than we have now.

We had the easiest of starting fixtures as compared to other top 5, and we have bottled it and performed worst. Don't see the league table its a lie.

If things continue like this, we might struggle to be top 4.
What does 'we performed worst' mean?

Ban

Yes he is. Once he's off his game, he needs time to recapture form. Was the same at Dortmund. He is a wonderful player when on form. Almost unstoppable. But he is extremely sensible, almost labile. Klopp for example never reached him. Tuchel on the other hand knew how to handle him and got him going. You need to be very careful with him as a coach. But I think he is worth the investment. But yes, if you can't or don't want to do it, you shouldn't have bought him.
He's like that sensible kid who's rather in the kitchen with his mother than at the playground. Tough love won't get you anywhere.
But as I said some of it is on him not Mourinho or his style. He's one of those players who is great if everything around him is great. But if it isn't he's practically invisible.

Frustrating.

ti vu

Ashley young stopped attacking from the left wingback position for large parts of the game so rashford got dragged out , mkh never takes on the players or penetrates and lukaku gets isolated.

So disappointing to see only one touch in the box for the striker.

It should have been a 3412 but it was a 3421 with no attacking presence inside the box.
This is not right. Rashford clearly stayed central most of the time until Mkhi got subbed off. Lukaku even played deeper to hold up the play for Rashford to run in behind.

The sole problem stays at Mkhi's door. He either helped the midfield battle which Chelsea grew to be dominant, nor creative to help the 2 forwards. What's worse it Kante didn't break a sweat as he was not as explosive and energetic as he normally is.

We pretty much played 342 with Mkhi on the pitch

Noc-Z

ffs
Fergie was miserable as f*ck. I don't recall it mattering.
Ferguson was never miserable. And I'm not just talking about with the media. I'm talking on the touchline. If things aren't going your way in this team you look over to your manager and see a helpless miserable looking man. You would see quite a different figure when you looked over at Ferguson. He might be angry at you he might be encouraging you, motivating you. But he didn't just look miserable.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
But as I said some of it is on him not Mourinho or his style. He's one of those players who is great if everything around him is great. But if it isn't he's practically invisible.

Frustrating.
It is on Mourinho in the sense that this is nothing new, but was well known from his time at Dortmund. If you buy a guy like him (and Jose was the one buying him, if I'm not mistaken), you know what you're getting and you ought to make it work. He is not like the other players and he needs to be treated differently. I understand a coach who's unwilling to do that. But if you buy him and don't do it, it's on you.

ti vu

It is on Mourinho in the sense that this is nothing new, but was well known from his time at Dortmund. If you buy a guy like him (and Jose was the one buying him, if I'm not mistaken), you know what you're getting and you ought to make it work. He is not like the other players and he needs to be treated differently. I understand a coach who's unwilling to do that. But if you buy him and don't do it, it's on you.
Mkhi's treated very differently. He is not required to work as hard to help the midfielders. He is to focus on his sole duty to support the forward. Support here means just make good decision simple. Not even required to be dominant creative force. Yet he has been failing left and right for quite a while now. It's on him.

His last season with Dortmund, he's one of the best in the league and consistently produce even if he's not at his best overall. It's not like buying the Mkhi in his first season at Dortmund. Noone can foresee the guy keep resetting himself every new season from rock bottom level like this.

Fracture90

The part where you are writing a small essay, for starters.
You are also wrong again - I insulted you once, I did’t keep throwing. Don’t make me go for a brace.
Meh, your poor attempt to rescue some dignity by constantly trying to shift the topic when faced with genuine facts.

By all means, go on.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
The Mirror says he wants a £3m a year pay rise on his current £12m a year salary.

Jamie Jackson also had a similar story back in October
Why would we even want him to sign a new deal at this point? Afraid of losing him to PSG? Wait until summer and see what he can accomplish in his fabled second season first.

aditya826

What does 'we performed worst' mean?
I meant the fact that we bottled against small clubs, in spite of us having easier fixtures as compared to other top 5, is indicative that we have performed worst as compared to other top 5. The other big teams are slightly below us despite having a tougher start than us (ignoring man city obviously).

Ban

I meant the fact that we bottled against small clubs, in spite of us having easier fixtures as compared to other top 5, is indicative that we have performed worst as compared to other top 5. The other big teams are slightly below us despite having a tougher start than us (ignoring man city obviously).
So all other top 4 teams had tougher start than us?
I dont think we performed worst, ok we lost those 5 points but it's hardly a cause for panic imo.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Mkhi's treated very differently. He is not required to work as hard to help the midfielders. He is to focus on his sole duty to support the forward. Support here means just make good decision simple. Not even required to be dominant creative force. Yet he has been failing left and right for quite a while now. It's on him.
I don't mean in a tactical way, I mean as a human being. Mkhitaryan used to work really hard at Dortmund. That was because he liked the style, he enjoyed himself and he was on the same level as Tuchel. He needs to be comfortable at the club and with the coach. Mourinho as a person strikes me as much to negative for Mkhitaryan. Tuchel worked a lot with him, gave him books to read, talked with him all the time. They were on the same level and had great chemistry.

Ludens the Red

Don't understand why it took him so long to change it, just not acceptable from a supposed top manager. Van Gaal would do this a lot, not change it when it's obvious it's going to shit.

ti vu

I don't mean in a tactical way, I mean as a human being. Mkhitaryan used to work really hard at Dortmund. That was because he liked the style, he enjoyed himself and he was on the same level as Tuchel. He needs to be comfortable at the club and with the coach. Mourinho as a person strikes me as much to negative for Mkhitaryan. Tuchel worked a lot with him, gave him books to read, talked with him all the time. They were on the same level and had great chemistry.
What we saw was that Mkhi actively wanted the move to us under Mourinho. He is motivated himself to make it work. I doubt Mourinho and that fat agent kept him in the dark and kidnapped him here and reality just struck him in the end. Mkhi had the choice to stay at Dortmund with Tuchel. He himself gave us the signal. Just be realistic, if you're in Mourinho case. You have the player with the raw talent that would work in your system. Talk to him and explained all the expectation, he's very motivated to come. Would you be the one taking the blame? Mourinho, SAF talk to players a lot before signing them. That was no secret. At this stage, it's all on Mkhi. He's already past the stage where the team and coach needs to baby care him. He had one season behind and he showed toward last season, he could do the bare minimum required by supporting the forward. Right now, it's unacceptable performance.

Trophy Room

He'll leave before Pep leaves City I reckon. He'll be the man to take PSG to where they want to go. I personally feel that the only way United will remain competitive during the Pep era is for him to stay as long as possible. Imo overall he's done a fantastic job.

However, I can't shake off this feeling of negativity around this club. It has lingered since Fergie left even though we have been making slow progress year after year. It's as if we are destined for years of playing catch up. As with LVG, I won't be surprised if United are the first club where Jose doesn't win the league title.

Pogbasky

He'll leave before Pep leaves City I reckon. He'll be the man to take PSG to where they want to go. I personally feel that the only way United will remain competitive during the Pep era is for him to stay as long as possible. Imo overall he's done a fantastic job.

However, I can't shake off this feeling of negativity around this club. It has lingered since Fergie left even though we have been making slow progress year after year. It's as if we are destined for years of playing catch up. As with LVG, I won't be surprised if United are the first club where Jose doesn't win the league title.
It's totally inexcusable for a squad this expensive to play the defensive nonsense Mourinho comes up with. Let's face it, the man's tactics are now obsolete

HTG

Supports
Bayern
What we saw that Mkhi actively wanted the move to us under Mourinho. He is motivated himself to make it work. I doubt Mourinho and that fat agent kept him in the dark and kidnapped him here and reality just struck him in the end. Mkhi had the choice to stay at Dortmund with Tuchel. He himself gave us the signal. Just be realistic, if you're in Mourinho case. You have the player with the raw talent that would work in your system. Talk to him and explained all the expectation, he's very motivated to come. Would you be the one taking the blame? Mourinho, SAF talk to players a lot before signing them. That was no secret. At this stage, it's all on Mkhi. He's already past the stage where the team and coach needs to baby care him. He had one season behind and he showed toward last season, he could do the bare minimum required by supporting the forward. Right now, it's unacceptable performance.
I know and understand what you mean. I just don't agree. Mkhitaryan is special, needs special treatment and a perfect environment to work. Mourinho is obviously not providing those things for him. He is not a normal player. Mourinho knew what he was getting himself into. There is a reason so many Dortmund fans were irritated Mourinho wanted him. There was just no way this would work out.

Bojan11

People going on like we should be going to these grounds outplaying them because we filled with world class players.

If Mourinho had Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez with Scholes and Carrick behind them then they'd have a case.

At the moment we have Mkhitaryan who is horrible. Herrera who can't pass forward. Martial and Rashford who play poorly when starting. Then you got the two wing backs playing awful. Lukaku getting no service.

Mourinho is to blame because he should have looked at other players besides Perisic.

prtk0811

What we saw was that Mkhi actively wanted the move to us under Mourinho. He is motivated himself to make it work. I doubt Mourinho and that fat agent kept him in the dark and kidnapped him here and reality just struck him in the end. Mkhi had the choice to stay at Dortmund with Tuchel. He himself gave us the signal. Just be realistic, if you're in Mourinho case. You have the player with the raw talent that would work in your system. Talk to him and explained all the expectation, he's very motivated to come. Would you be the one taking the blame? Mourinho, SAF talk to players a lot before signing them. That was no secret. At this stage, it's all on Mkhi. He's already past the stage where the team and coach needs to baby care him. He had one season behind and he showed toward last season, he could do the bare minimum required by supporting the forward. Right now, it's unacceptable performance.
He's not capable of it, this is anything he hasn't faced before in bundesliga.

He was a counter attacker who needs space and good movement in front. He can't break low blocks.

Ibra will eventually replace him and force him to go right an cut in.

Trophy Room

It's totally inexcusable for a squad this expensive to play the defensive nonsense Mourinho comes up with. Let's face it, the man's tactics are now obsolete
There is a difference between being expensive and having quality. We were found out today primarily because we tried to play a more 'expansive' style. We were outplayed by a better team. Contrary to what everyone believes the reason why we lost today was because we allowed Fabregas and Hazard to dictate the play.

Imo with the squad we have the only way we can compete with the top 6 is to play compact and hope one of our chances at the other end goes in. There is no one in our squad at present and this includes Pogba who has the ability to really dominate a big game.

It is in my opinion inexcusable therefore for us to have spent so much without acquiring such quality.

prtk0811

Expensive with buying expensive players like pogba and lukaku , matic while they all have been good signings the signings made before mourinho are the problem.

Mkh was not a expensive player at all

ti vu

He's not capable of it, this is anything he hasn't faced before in bundesliga.

He was a counter attacker who needs space and good movement in front. He can't break low blocks.

Ibra will eventually replace him and force him to go right an cut in.
There was hardly much of low block today vs Chelsea until he got subbed off. He was invisible himself. He's not asked to stringing play and being super creative. He's just a transition point in our counter to support the forward, which is down least burdened for no 10 which I don't believe even Dortmund could tolerate he didn't do. He just didn't perform. It's worse than Kagawa at the moment. You know Kagawa when he's not at his best can still be tidy and makes the right decision in passing.

There is nothing wrong with Lukaku and Rashford movement this game. Lukaku worked his bollocks off and played quite deeper than he prefers. Still Mkhi plays same terrible. We tried him in Mata wide play maker role. Didn't work. Lukaku sole forward who pushes up the opposition defense line away from Mkhi. Didn't work.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I was listening to an interview today with Kevin De Bruyne, speaking of how he enjoys playing in Pep's system. I've heard the same about Zidane from Madrid players. In another thread, someone linked an Eden Hazard article saying that he didn't enjoy Mourinho's style of counter-attacking and that he didn't have the tactics to create football but rather to react to the opposition.
I'm just wondering, have we ever heard a player say he's enjoying playing Mourinho's style of football? Not trying to have a dig or anything, I'm just legitimately curious. I know Zlatan loves Mourinho, but I don't know if he enjoys playing his style of football, don't remember him ever saying that or anyone for that matter.

E-mal

Yeah, but that's what I mean. Of course you don't park the bus all the time, but the general strategy was the same as always. Get a draw, if you're lucky a win but in no way lose. It just doesn't make sense to me. Mourinho seems so paranoid in his approach.
This.
So scared of been thumped which I can undertsand but once in a while give it a go. The team looks as if they just met themselves in pub and decided to have a kick about. No attacking cohesion, no plan.
Am just scared that I think his ideas are outdated. And he has as much to loose as we do if he fails at United. He hasnt lighted it up for a while and this is as much a test for him. Big teams will be skepitical to hire him if he balls it here.

Hoof the ball

1. His United team are not fluid. The movement should be systematic. X player occupies A space, therefore, Y player ought to occupy B space. When I watch Spurs, Chelsea, City, etc, I see a general tactical cohesion where players don't hesitate on the ball. I watched Matic on the ball for five seconds position his body towards Jones, waiting for Jones to run into a space to play in front of him. By the time the pass reached Jones' late run into space they'd reorganised and Jones smashed it up the field. Our lack of cohesion in movement hampers our momentum.

2. His United team sit deep in a block and rely on individual traits to make his teams offensively potent, however, Lukaku doesn't hold the ball up half as well as we'd like since he :-

a. Doesn't possess good ball playing technique.
b. Doesn't use his big frame as well as he ought to (see Kane, who is smaller, not as strong physically, yet more effective in his body positioning/shielding.)
c. Is prone to poor decision making when he has time, as opposed to playing on instinct.

We're isolated because of both of those two points. Poor off-the-ball movement, poor defence to attack transition (counter-attacking and transition are two different things).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not really watching the same game as him tonight. I think our period of "control" if we can call it that was somewhere in those first 20 minutes. A draw would have been a bit of a robbery.

Robindinho

You don't think we showed any intent
a) when game started
b) After we went 1-0 down with 3 subs?

Tactics seemed fine to me, but our player's as wasn't as competitive as Chelsea today, esp in midfield where we missed Pogba, but they had Kante and Fabregas.

That was the difference in the end.
So being on the front foot the first 10-15 minutes and a couple of chances in stoppage time counts as intent? What about the 75 minutes in between?

Once again we were far too deep and there was too much of a gap between the midfield and our front 3. He doesn’t set up to attack as a team. How often do we see midfield runners or the full backs consistently providing width in forward areas? The answer is hardly ever...

Tactics are fine? We play like a team fighting relegation in the hope something will eventually come off lumping it to Lukaku.

Dobbs

His post match comments worry me. "One mistake cost us."

Hopefully he's just defending the players but if he thinks only one error was the problem today something isn't right.

Bojan11

His post match comments worry me. "One mistake cost us."

Hopefully he's just defending the players but if he thinks only one error was the problem today something isn't right.
Yeah and when he's throwing the players under the bus then you'd moan why is he doing that. He can't win.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'd say he's doing a decent job so far. If he has us comfortably in the top 4 and performing well in europe/cup then I think he deserves a 3rd season. If we are back in 5th/6th place again scrambling for CL football then sack him at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.