g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

Yeah because he's a fecking RM. I dont justify for his bad form and lazyness but at least try him on the right Jose. Dont understand the way he used Micki. His skillset is for wide player role. He is absolutely shit at dictatingg the ball and control the game from 10 spot. Klopp saw this, Tuchel saw this so they moved him to the right flank and he shined.

After just one good game lasst season vs Leicester at 10 Jose started to use him at 10 and he became useless. Yes he's been garbage and deserved the criticism but for feck sake just try him at RM. That's the only way we can make him better.
Plays as a nr.10 - try him on the right.
Plays on the right - try him as nr.10

Just excuses. He's not good enough and fwiw he did play on the right too.

I mean why should he be better on the right? At Dortmund they played differently that's why he shined.

prtk0811

People keep harping on about personnel. But Jose's key buys for the 3 attackers behind the CF were supposed to be Mkhitarian and Perisic. Those were the guys he believed were the ones that would take him to the title. So all this nonsense about needing world class attackers etc. At least see the players who were Jose's picks. One of them has no right to start ahead of Martial but Jose keeps picking him for some reason.

And that's aside from the fact that the Glazers are backing him with huge funds as they did previous managers, so funds shouldn't be a problem.
Guardiola made recruitment mistakes too, some players just do not settle in the physical English league.

It's not like when martial starts he has very good games too he's doing well off the bench. Yes it is a personnel problem combined with the ball circulation too.

Mkh was a purchase with unknown results about how he would settle in the league, he not doing it well ever since he came here, missing mane was a huge mistake. Mata and lingard are limited players too and Jose has given them chances to prob themselves in the team. Perisic was supposed to be a attacking wingback who could play both sides with workrate and good deliveries and we needed him as young is very poor on the ball in possession, and he had poor game yesterday.

Glazer's are backing him with huge funds but we still have wingers problem since 5 years and have not bought a single winger even by spending so much and that's poor squad planning.

Smalling and Jones with his typical mistakes at the bridge who just can play with the ball at their feet , herrera who's passing has been average too , Valencia s passing and crossing accuracy , these individual problems get amplified collectively.

This result hurt , yes . Now how we react to it has to be seen with returning players.

We need zlatan and pogba and rojo back as soon as possible.

Paul_Scholes18

The results are good so far and we look to have a great season. Sadly with Man City in insane form it will likely not be enough to win the title.

Problem with Mourinho is he is usually best short term and normally think will decline after a few years (2 good season then third bad have been the trend). Think that is mainly due to him thinking mainly about short term results and not focusing much on developing players.

I can see that being a problem long term with him.

prtk0811

Agreed.

I just don’t know why LVG was given so much stick for the same excuses if we’re going to give Mourinho a by-ball until he brings in “genuine quality”. Whatever the hell that means.

LVG needs Robben, Bale, Ronaldo, Muller to pull off his system. What a shite manager, he needs to do better with what he has!

Why are we changing the goal posts for Mourinho? Of course transfers matter but he’s had tons of cash to address his key problems.

As always, the fact is, worse teams than United (personnel wise) play better football and can get more shots on target against the better teams in the league. That’s a legit criticism.

I’ve stopped caring what City are doing. I find us tedious to watch. That’s nothing to do with our Manchester rivals.
So we should know by now players are a problem too not only managers.

prtk0811

I've had it with Mourinho's cowardly approach away from home against the good teams. This is Manchester United. We should be be taking the game to the opponent no matter who or where we play. I'm thinking Mourinho's gonna get the sack at the end of the season if he doesn't win an important trophy this season. If that happens I want ancelloti to take over. At least he has a style of play.
With a midfeild of Herrera matic and mkh who goes missing against a passing range of fabregas energy of kante and bakayoko B2 b play?

We can dominate the mid and attacking third until we have pogba and fellani along with matic. Herrera is not an ideal double man pivot.

Until the midfeild had quality on the ball you will be bad on the ball.

Ban

The guy has the cheek to praise Fellaini after he nearly cost us a goal TWICE. Our football has been terrible for some time now, negative tactics and we look so disjointed.
He praised him cause he jumped in after one training session. Calling for his head at this stage of the season is mental imo.

AXVnee7

If we don't win the title, then for me a good season would represent 2nd in the league, and a trophy. Satisfactory season would be 3rd in the League and a good cup run.

There was an article not too long ago about Mourinho getting a contract extension, and I advocated it as a show of faith. Now I've changed my mind, but not just because of the football/results but also because Jose is playing his games. He's smart and is keeping his options open should he wish to jump ship. We should be doing the same. Mourinho and United was not the fairy tale marriage that I initially thought, it's a business deal between two parties who happened to require each other's services at the time.

There's no way he should be sacked or anything before at least the end of this season, and even then I think he should deserve a 3rd. However contract extensions should be earned and not given which is what I originally would've done.

Hawks2008

Agreed.

I just don’t know why LVG was given so much stick for the same excuses if we’re going to give Mourinho a by-ball until he brings in “genuine quality”. Whatever the hell that means.

LVG needs Robben, Bale, Ronaldo, Muller to pull off his system. What a shite manager, he needs to do better with what he has!

Why are we changing the goal posts for Mourinho? Of course transfers matter but he’s had tons of cash to address his key problems.

As always, the fact is, worse teams than United (personnel wise) play better football and can get more shots on target against the better teams in the league. That’s a legit criticism.

I’ve stopped caring what City are doing. I find us tedious to watch. That’s nothing to do with our Manchester rivals.
Some just support Mourinho more than United.

RedDevil@84

These PSG stories would continue to pop up after each defeat during season. Mourinho should have put an end to it.
Wouldn't stop the press from reporting it. The Guardian ran a story on how Jose's failure as a player makes him play negative football in big matches, almost 2 weeks after Liverpool match. The press don't need a story as such.
Real got defeated badly in mid-week. The guys on Daily Mail probably went into a huddle and thought what kind of cooked up story could we run on Real. Somebody suggested, they are losing, so they might be looking for some new players. We should run some story based on "sources". Please suggest some names.

Harry Kane - We already said he is going to Real thrice, once for 100M, once for 150M and once for 250M.
Dele Alli - We already did that twice
Coutinho - Oh yeah!! We never ran that. Let's do it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Madrid-join-Barcelona-PSG-chase-Coutinho.html

el3mel

Wouldn't stop the press from reporting it. The Guardian ran a story on how Jose's failure as a player makes him play negative football in big matches, almost 2 weeks after Liverpool match. The press don't need a story as such.
Real got defeated badly in mid-week. The guys on Daily Mail probably went into a huddle and thought what kind of cooked up story could we run on Real. Somebody suggested, they are losing, so they might be looking for some new players. We should run some story based on "sources". Please suggest some names.

Harry Kane - We already said he is going to Real thrice, once for 100M, once for 150M and once for 250M.
Dele Alli - We already did that twice
Coutinho - Oh yeah!! We never ran that. Let's do it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Madrid-join-Barcelona-PSG-chase-Coutinho.html
Yeah the English media are absolute garbage in these kinds of stories, always searching for meltdowns and " teams under pressure" stories to sell better. However I though Mourinho should have said what he should have said to free himself from responsibility and expose these journalists. He kept the door open, and some will believe these articles based on his previous quotes, big mistake from Jose.

He should go on and say he's committed to the club, his only current focus on the club, won't leave and open to stay. With this we'll always know all these stories are BS.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

What would Jose by like with that free flowing PSG side?
I reckon he'd be fine in the league since the tremendous gap in quality between PSG and the rest of Ligue 1 would be more than enough to make up for his inability to create sides that will be able to open up tight defenses with ease. I have doubts about their chances to win the Champions League though because at a certain point in the competition he'll have to face sides that like to have the ball and they're also good at it. Not because he's a defensive-minded coach but because, right now, the remedy against this type of football seems to be the application of (some kind of) high pressing. The low-mid block with 10 men behind the ball can still work but nowadays the only way to get some leeway with it is by winning all of your games.

Plus everybody wants to see his team play like Barcelona these days. It's ok to do it at Atletico where the fans had seen their team going through a horrendous period and their competitors are RM and Barca or at Juventus (mainly in Europe) where the fans (Italians) are more appreciative of tight tactical battle with none or few goals. The Parisiens will probably demand performances that suit the beauty of their city (read it somewhere) and i honestly believe that Mourinho is tired of being football's "bad guy". He'll do or say things to defend himself (ie his quote about the poets who don't win much) but i don't think he wants to be provocative anymore. He loses it sometimes but it's because he feels bitter and therefore i believe that he can do a better when he doesn't have everybody trying to have a dig at him at every corner. If Jose can get the PSG fans to support him in order to reach the ultimate goal, he'll be fine. But, unluckily for him, he doesn't set the standards at the top of the managerial world any longer.

And since i got this far with my post allow me to delve a bit more in the tactics since it's one of my favorite pastimes. He likes to have ball carriers in his midfield, either deep or more advanced. At PSG he'd reunite with Di Maria and i think he'd use him as the third midfielder. At the base of the midfield he'd play Motta (holding)-Verratti (defensive b2b). Then maybe Neymar on the left to work out openings with Di Maria and Mbappe up front (whose very good off the ball and at linking with others) in a heavy loaded left side which will carry the burden of creating chances. If this doesn't work then a quick switch of play to the right side with Cavani playing very close to Mbappe and Alves covering the length of the pitch in order to provide width and creativity (in a similar vein to the Maicon-Eto'o partnership at Inter).

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I reckon he'd be fine in the league since the tremendous gap in quality between PSG and the rest of Ligue 1 would be more than enough to make up for his inability to create sides that will be able to open up tight defenses with ease. I have doubts about their chances to win the Champions League though because at a certain point in the competition he'll have to face sides that like to have the ball and they're also good at it. Not because he's a defensive-minded coach but because, right now, the remedy against this type of football seems to be the application of (some kind of) high pressing. The low-mid block with 10 men behind the ball can still work but nowadays the only way to get some leeway with it is by winning all of your games.

Plus everybody wants to see his team play like Barcelona these days. It's ok to do it at Atletico where the fans had seen their team going through a horrendous period and their competitors are RM and Barca or at Juventus (mainly in Europe) where the fans (Italians) are more appreciative of tight tactical battle with none or few goals. The Parisiens will probably demand performances that suit the beauty of their city (read it somewhere) and i honestly believe that Mourinho is tired of being football's "bad guy". He'll do or say things to defend himself (ie his quote about the poets who don't win much) but i don't think he wants to be provocative anymore. He loses it sometimes but it's because he feels bitter and therefore i believe that he can do a better when he doesn't have everybody trying to have a dig at him at every corner. If Jose can get the PSG fans to support him in order to reach the ultimate goal, he'll be fine. But, unluckily for him, he doesn't set the standards at the top of the managerial world any longer.

And since i got this far with my post allow me to delve a bit more in the tactics since it's one of my favorite pastimes. He likes to have ball carriers in his midfield, either deep or more advanced. At PSG he'd reunite with Di Maria and i think he'd use him as the third midfielder. At the base of the midfield he'd play Motta (holding)-Verratti (defensive b2b). Then maybe Neymar on the left to work out openings with Di Maria and Mbappe up front (whose very good off the ball and at linking with others) in a heavy loaded left side which will carry the burden of creating chances. If this doesn't work then a quick switch of play to the right side with Cavani playing very close to Mbappe and Alves covering the length of the pitch in order to provide width and creativity (in a similar vein to the Maicon-Eto'o partnership at Inter).
sorry pal, I only read posts that are max 5 lines long

Sure it was a good one though

Brophs

The One and Only
I think it's odd if you want him sacked, tbh. He's made more progress with this club in 18 months than our last two have in almost 3 years. He's also making us competitive again, which was far from a given for a long time.

Equally, I think it's odd (albeit slightly less odd) if you don't think he should also be doing a better job with his expensively-assembled squad after a year and a half here. If you hire a 'super manager' you expect them to be able to elevate the players they have and, so far, he hasn't done that consistently.

deafepl

I won't fully blame Mourinho for yesterday's performance. However, he needs to try to develop more players so that we have more options in midfield, wings etc.

He needs to stop picking Matic,Mkhi,Herrera as our midfield combination for the umpteenth time as playing them again and again wont' suddenly make them great. They don't play well together. They never will and we have seen it from the performances. We lost against Huddersfield, struggled against Benfica, won against Tottenham when De Gea bypassed this midfield and went straight to Lukaku and have just lost to Chelsea.

What can he do? He needs to pick a few players from the youth setup. Not an assuring idea but that is his only hope. He needs to then develop these players by playing them whenever we are a few goals up, or have an easy league cup tie, or in matches like the coming Champions League ones. All he is doing is playing Martial and Lingard in such matches and one or two defenders are rotated. Martial needs to be in the starting line up and Lingard is just Lingard.

He has shown signs of doing this with McTominay. He needs to do it with atleast one more player. I have accepted that we won't be that great as shown by our form in the beginning matches. We just don't have the players to keep playing that well. However, if Mourinho gets lucky with a young player then we might just be able to pull something off.

We are in the same situation Van Gaal found himself in, in his last season here. He had sold a lot of players and found himself without options. Mourinho is in a similar situation. Transfer activity was very inadequate and we find ourselves desperately short of options. He has to take a risk with some youth. We can't depend on Pogba to stay fit for the entire season and play rubbish when he is not there.
Agreed. I'm getting frustrated when Mourinho starts Mhki every game, he is now basically passengers which is not good for competition in this position. Lingard and Mata aren't good anymore.

Our LB, AM and RW position is seriously underperforming which reduced our attacking fire powers

Scott Montminy is decent central midfielders, Mourinho should demonstrate his skills and ability and get best out of him. if it turns out that Scott is a very promising player so we can start him as the first choice over Herrea which will buy us some time till Pogba is back.

And there's a quality player in youth setup, like Aidan Barlow (all-around attacking midfielders - AM, LM, RM), he's impressing in UEFA youth and under 18 EPL, he has 6 goals and 3 assist in just 10 games this season, so I think he should be given a game to start over Mhki, we cannot afford to wait for Mkhi to get decent performance and going missing for many games. if they didn't deliver good performance for couple of games consecutively then they don't deserve to be starters. if Jose continues 4-2-3-1 formation for usual games and 3-5-2 formation for big games this season and next season and amuses Greizmann will join us next summer then Aidan Barlow has potential to be our starters, like I said he's all-around midfielders with an ability to push forward which can fit in Jose's system, he can operate as AM in 4-3-2-1 formation and as left midfield or right midfield in 3-5-2 formation, we need to give him couple of games to demonstrate his performance. if he turns out to be very talented and completely upgraded over Mhki then that'll save us a lot of money instead of spending money out on some new player when we can get a player from youth setup at no cost.

There's decent LB like Demetri Michell, he has been in impressive form for the Under-23s this season and spend most of his time in youth as wingers, he conversed to attack-minded left back in the 2016/17 season. Now, he has 4 goals this season which is impressive. Mourinho should give him a couple of games in last champions league group stage game and league cup, it is not too late to demonstrate him. Young, Blind and perhaps Luke Shaw will be leaving next summer, we cannot afford to buy many decent LB when we desperately need to upgrade to other position

I'm not big fans of spending much money on a new player we want to improve on position, why not giving a youth a chance cos it could save us some money, we are the only club that has many players have a contract expiring in 2018 than any club in top 5 leagues. Unforatluatly, Jose will not give them a chance and may spend 300m on transfer window to replace a player who is leaving.

Son Of Sam

So Jose's United are nothing without Pogba? Mikhi was his own signing who apparently keeps letting him down. The signing by Jose appears to have let us all down.

People are just making excuses. You cant spend 300 million and play this kind of football. And you're entire football plan without which everything falls apart cant rely on one player.
Firstly, are you talking about £300m that PSG spent on 2 players in one summer? £300m is the new £100m.....so stop making it look like Jose spent a fortune

No one is making excuses. What a manager has spent also have a direct relationship with what he inherited when taking the job.

City had a much better squad than United when Pep/José arrived last year. Yet, Pep has spent more money than Jose and you automatically expect United to have a better squad than City?

In spite of this, it was Jose that won trophies last season and Pep had nothing to show for it. This summer, Pep outspent Jose yet again and that & unlucky injury curse is the difference between those clubs.

Giggsyking

Jose Mourinho in October: "I never speak about injuries. Other managers cry."

Jose Mourinho in November: "Of course we missed some important players."

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Firstly, are you talking about £300m that PSG spent on 2 players in one summer? £300m is the new £100m.....so stop making it look like Jose spent a fortune

No one is making excuses. What a manager has spent also have a direct relationship with what he inherited when taking the job.

City had a much better squad than United when Pep/José arrived last year. Yet, Pep has spent more money than Jose and you automatically expect United to have a better squad than City?

In spite of this, it was Jose that won trophies last season and Pep had nothing to show for it. This summer, Pep outspent Jose yet again and that & unlucky injury curse is the difference between those clubs.
Alright mate. Jose has got everything working against him. No big spending. No good players. No injury free players. No shit rivals. Such a shame.

Your post is one big wall of excuses. Not interested in them.

red4ever 79

I'm not calling for his head, however if we are not competing for the title come the end of the season then his position should be looked at. His record against the top 6 away from home is shambolic. This setting up not to lose games wont wash forever. We are going into games purposely setting up not to concede rather than attempting to win games. That will be his downfall in the end. We are Manchester United we should be going into matches believing and attempting to win

amolbhatia50k

I think we have to be patient with Jose given we did start the season well and his superb track record. But I don't see any logic in denying things are simply true merely to be find a justification to every negative aspect of his performance as a manager. He has spent a lot. He has been backed by the club. He has the goal to win big titles. And he has a good squad. Now let's hope he improves us and the recent form is a mere blip rather than not holding him accountable for anything.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I'm not calling for his head, however if we are not competing for the title come the end of the season then his position should be looked at. His record against the top 6 away from home is shambolic. This setting up not to lose games wont wash forever. We are going into games purposely setting up not to concede rather than attempting to win games. That will be his downfall in the end. We are Manchester United we should be going into matches believing and attempting to win
If only more people on here actually grasped this line of thought. The board also. It’s complete nonsense and it’s just setting us back. For all the negativity around LVG, I had more faith in us in the big games.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think we need some sort of code that adds the words "during his final stint at Chelsea and first season and a quarter at United" to this sentence automatically. Seeing as it's so fecking frequently repeated. Over the course of his PL career, his record in these games is as good as almost any other manager I can think of.

Water Melon

I doubt that the return of Pog will make us great again. I am yet to see Paul carry the team in a game against top 6 rivals. We will be in top 4 but no CL or EPL cups for us this season. Is Jose still a genius, I really really doubt it.

Ban

Some just support Mourinho more than United.
Oh come of it with posts like that. Nobody does that. Some people actually think he's doing a good job in general despite some difficulties and problems along the way.

Ban

I doubt that the return of Pog will make us great again. I am yet to see Paul carry the team in a game against top 6 rivals. We will be in top 4 but no CL or EPL cups for us this season. Is Jose still a genius, I really really doubt it.
We won't be great but we will be better. Carry the team? He doesn't have to carry the team, in every game he wanted to do it all by himself he was bad instead of making it simple but effective.

Son Of Sam

Alright mate. Jose has got everything working against him. No big spending. No good players. No injury free players. No shit rivals. Such a shame.

Your post is one big wall of excuses. Not interested in them.
There are no excuses here....
Judge him when he actually fails, not when the media tell you he has failed.

Remove the equivalent of what United have missed in key players in City, Spurs, etc and tell me where they would be on the table.

That we are 2nd on the table playing only 2 central midfielders for the past 2 months is a testament to Jose’s management acumen.

It seems most of you have forgotten when LVG’s team especially his 2nd season. After GW11, we were 8th on the table and 10 points below the league leaders. We only managed to cop 15 points from 10 league games.

amolbhatia50k

There are no excuses here....
Judge him when he actually fails, not when the media tell you he has failed.

Remove the equivalent of what United have missed in key players in City, Spurs, etc and tell me where they would be on the table.

That we are 2nd on the table playing only 2 central midfielders for the past 2 months is a testament to Jose’s management acumen.

It seems most of you have forgotten when LVG’s team especially his 2nd season. After GW11, we were 8th on the table and 10 points below the league leaders. We only managed to cop 15 points from 10 league games.
That makes no sense whatsoever. Why would you only judge people after they fail? That's a weird criteria to have.

Son Of Sam

No one is saying Pogba will turn us into 1970 Brazilian team but the football performance & the results would be so much better to take us closer to Man City than the staggering 8-point gap between the Manchester clubs.

Pogba with Man Utd 17/18

14.8 - Chances/game
3.0 - Big Chances/game
3.0 - Goals/game

Pogba without Man Utd

7.0 - Chances/game
1.6 - Big chances/game
1.6 - Goals/game

It’s very obvious Pogba makes a huge difference to the way we play. His absence has reduced our attacking output by a staggering 50%.

Son Of Sam

That makes no sense whatsoever. Why would you only judge people after they fail? That's a weird criteria to have.
Stop trying to be clever by half....

I just told you the results haven’t been pretty recently because of injuries. You are already blaming Jose for what he cannot control.

Judge him when he doesn’t get the results with the key players back in the squad. How you cannot understand this boggles the mind.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

I just told you the results haven’t been pretty recently because of injuries. You are already blaming Jose for what he cannot control.

Judge him when he doesn’t get the results with the key players back in the squad. How you cannot understand this boggles the mind.
All managers have to deal with injuries. It's part and parcel of football. Obviously some managers get dealt a worse hand than others, but we had plenty of spells under Fergie with key players out; Rio was one of our best players but was notoriously injury prone, for example. I remember both us and Chelsea missing a number of key players during the 06-07 run-in.

Right now we've got most of our squad all competing. We're missing Pogba who's undoubtedly a key player, but if you want to win stuff you need to build a team that can cope when a star player is missing. Zlatan's out too, but then he's an older player in his mid-30s; we should expect he's going to be fairly unreliable when it comes to fitness.

amolbhatia50k

Half? Read what you've written. It makes no sense. Everyone will judge and be judged. Deal with it.

I am holding Jose accountable for the performance of the team he manages. Blaming it purely on injuries is again excuse making and this doesn't interest me.

I, like everyone will judge him and every other manager on a real time basis. The idea that you can't judge Jose unless he has Pogba and Fellaini (lol) fit doesn't make any sense. I can understand it. It's just a silly and misplaced notion.

CarwynWilliams23

No one is saying Pogba will turn us into 1970 Brazilian team but the football performance & the results would be so much better to take us closer to Man City than the staggering 8-point gap between the Manchester clubs.

Pogba with Man Utd 17/18

14.8 - Chances/game
3.0 - Big Chances/game
3.0 - Goals/game

Pogba without Man Utd

7.0 - Chances/game
1.6 - Big chances/game
1.6 - Goals/game

It’s very obvious Pogba makes a huge difference to the way we play. His absence has reduced our attacking output by a staggering 50%.
Doubt that would have been any different with Pogba in the team this past month. Jose set his stall against Liverpool, and that was the blueprint for the last 5 games or so. It happens at every club he manages, once he meets a big team away, all of a sudden, its on the defensive for the rest of the season. Its what he is comfortable with.

Has Pogba played well against any top club since he has been here??

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Pogba with Man Utd 17/18

14.8 - Chances/game
3.0 - Big Chances/game
3.0 - Goals/game

Pogba without Man Utd

7.0 - Chances/game
1.6 - Big chances/game
1.6 - Goals/game

Playing against Swansea, West Ham and Leicester you would expect to have a lot more chances than against Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
These PSG stories would continue to pop up after each defeat during season. Mourinho should have put an end to it.
It would weaken his negotiating position with United that’s why mate.

It’s a simple case of give me what I want or I feck off from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.