Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
I don't think you need hindsight to know the fullback positions are a mess. Compounded by the wing positions being hit and miss. It's obvious.

On my question though. You think it was better to spend money on Lindelof than a fullback?
Nah, I would rather have had a LB personally. I’m not a world class manager though - I’m sure there are reasons. Maybe the board didn’t want to get rid of Shaw just yet? Who knows.

Fracture90

Pretty sure he is half right. That is the initial payment but I’m sure I read that with bonuses it ends up being 42mil. Also pretty sure that was his buyout clause.

On a kinda different subject the board kinda saved himself from himself. I’m glad Inter played hardball as there isn’t a snowballs chance in hell that Peresic was worth that much and I can’t get over the sudden upswift in the perception of how good Peresic was. Seemed like a doomed signing right from the get go like Kezman, Pedro Leon, Jiri Jarozik.
Yep. I remember reading that he had 30 million buyout clause that was only valid in the January transfer window, after which he signed the new contract with Benfica.

Perišić is a very good player, but he failed miserably in Dortmund when they were peaking and he's been largely hot and cold in Inter so idk why are some trying to paint it as if us splashing 50+ mullion on Perišić would automatically equal that huge of an impact to the way we play and perform.

Dobbs

Nah, I would rather have had a LB personally. I’m not a world class manager though - I’m sure there are reasons. Maybe the board didn’t want to get rid of Shaw just yet? Who knows.
You don' think he could just have got this one wrong rather than there being unknown reasons?

Fracture90

Nah, I got your point. My point was that the highest reported fee was chosen to bloat it and make it seem «worse».

As for the fee, it might not matter, but I have confirmed it now.
For the sake of argument iirc the highest reported fee was 45 million with add-ons included, which isn't that far fetched considering how much we were after him and the fact that he has signed the new contract following the January transfer window.

What do you mean? Confirmed the fee or which source you had?

Fracture90

That's pretty much the whole point of it, managers, even the world class ones make mistakes.

SirAF

Ageist
For the sake of argument iirc the highest reported fee was 45 million with add-ons included, which isn't that far fetched considering how much we were after him and the fact that he has signed the new contract following the January transfer window.

What do you mean? Confirmed the fee or which source you had?
I found that Benfica had confirmed the fee to be an initial payment of 35m EUR with a bonus of 10m EUR - they did not disclose what will trigger that bonus, but most likely trophies won during his first United contract I’d imagine.

Fracture90

I found that Benfica had confirmed the fee to be an initial payment of 35m EUR with a bonus of 10m EUR - they did not disclose what will trigger that bonus, but most likely trophies won during his first United contract I’d imagine.
Okay so that means that the 45 million quote was actually correct?

Would also mean that you and 1 were both wrong with you shaving 5 million of the initial sum and me adding the extra 5 million to the initial fee?

evil_geko

I couldn't care less if he goes at this point tbh, I am sick and tired with all the drama, I just want to watch decent football.

SirAF

Ageist
Okay so that means that the 45 million quote was actually correct?

Would also mean that you and 1 were both wrong with you shaving 5 million of the initial sum and me adding the extra 5 million to the initial fee?
No, the article I linked to stated 30.75 GBP. The Benfica numbers were released in Euros. Benfica reported the initial fee to be 35m EUR (30.75m GBP at the time).

The maximum fee United will pay is 45m EUR/39.5 GBP - that’s only if the bonuses are realised though.

http://web3.cmvm.pt/sdi/emitentes/docs/FR64863.pdf

Fracture90

No, the article I linked to stated 30.75 GBP. The Benfica numbers were released in Euros. Benfica reported the initial fee to be 35m EUR (30.75m GBP at the time).

The maximum fee United will pay is 45m EUR/39.5 GBP - that’s only if the bonuses are realised though.
Well given that I'm not from UK, I'm doing all my calculations in euros and considering that GBP isn't the default currency for the football transfers made, plus the fact that none of us stated the currency, but we both assumed we're talking about the same currency.

fellaini's barber

How is Fellaini our most important outfield player exactly?

So what do we believe, that he's blaming the board for not backing him enough or that he's satisfied with the squad he has?
The 'tactics' we use under Mourinho relies hugely on Fellaini especially in the big games, we only looked remotely dangerous when he came on against Chelsea and we started hoofing to him. If he's fit he plays, we actually look shite without him sometimes. As shite as I think our squad is, I think we're much better than the shitfest we're being served currently, and if there's any truth in the stories about Mourinho moaning about being backed enough by the board, then he's talking rubbish. He wanted 4 players, got 3 the fourth allegedly being Perisic, how would that have improved us being unable to string two passes together on Sunday?

Fracture90

The 'tactics' we use under Mourinho relies hugely on Fellaini especially in the big games, we only looked remotely dangerous when he came on against Chelsea and we started hoofing to him. If he's fit he plays, we actually look shite without him sometimes. As shite as I think our squad is, I think we're much better than the shitfest we're being served currently, and if there's any truth in the stories about Mourinho moaning about being backed enough by the board, then he's talking rubbish. He wanted 4 players, got 3 the fourth allegedly being Perisic, how would that have improved us being unable to string two passes together on Sunday?
Well in all honesty, technically speaking he did get all 4. Lindelof, Lukaku, Matić and Ibrahimovic albeit re-signed he was released and was a free agent during the summer.

SirAF

Ageist
Well given that I'm not from UK, I'm doing all my calculations in euros and considering that GBP isn't the default currency for the football transfers made, plus the fact that none of us stated the currency, but we both assumed we're talking about the same currency.
Yes, I should have specified (even though it said so in the Guardian article). I’m not from the UK either but I always operate with GBP in football finances because United are British.

Either way, we got to the same page eventually!

Oneunited26

This sums up Mourinho's time at united and direction we usually go and we usually know where we going by the time october/november arrives.

We start off strong, get to September October teams start figuring out how we play, come November it starts to go wrong and we out of the title race by November, exactly how last year played out.

Mourinho's ratings for this season? its a 5 or 6/10.

We needed a better RB, LB, CB, depth in CM, and a few better attacking players. He is still relying on the garbage like young, lingard, pep would have moved these guys on ages ago, we still hoping smalling, jones and shaw stay fit consistently and form wise, our no 10's are proven ineffective when the heat is on, due to tactics, bottle and the kind of level they're at. Its also a worry how is the coaching staff coaching these players, our football still has not evolved and improved has the season progresses, how more does he need? its like a shot for shot of last season. I am sick of our managers never completing a jigsaw and recruiting enough so we look stronger, we always debating we need this, we need that, we rely on injury prone defenders still after 5 years.

City even when they had their struggles between 2014-17 they always looked like a team that can handle manager changes, and transition always were a way of improving, won a few trophy's, kept competing, they have come right up to speed how losing managers does not effect their ability to stay has a top side. Has for us we literally hit rock bottom after fergie, 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, and we still trying to look for another Ferguson, we throw away half a billion and we further behind our city rivals, the sad part is? Mourinho is 4 years too late, he was someone we needed after fergie left, not now. He is the best we could have got, but he's not looking to evolve and change, fergie in 2002-06 was looking to evolve and change how he approached things has a manager, mourinho seems to be getting worse, how we approach big games is not play to kill, but play to hide

Andersons Dietician

There is an article somewhere with the president speaking about the deal and he says they are easily attainable as they are apeerance based. Not sure how many tho.

SirAF

Ageist
This sums up Mourinho's time at united and direction we usually go and we usually know where we going by the time october/november arrives.

We start off strong, get to September October teams start figuring out how we play, come November it starts to go wrong and we out of the title race by November, exactly how last year played out.

We needed a better RB, LB, CB, depth in CM, and a few better attacking players. He is still relying on the garbage like young, lingard, pep would have moved these guys on ages ago, we still hoping smalling, jones and shaw stay fit consistently and form wise, our no 10's are proven ineffective when the heat is on, due to tactics, bottle and the kind of level they're at. Its also a worry how is the coaching staff coaching these players, our football still has not evolved and improved has the season progresses, how more does he need? its like a shot for shot of last season. I am sick of our managers never completing a jigsaw and recruiting enough so we look stronger, we always debating we need this, we need that, we rely on injury prone defenders still after 5 years.

City even when they had their struggles between 2014-17 they always looked like a team that can handle manager changes, and transition always were a way of improving, won a few trophy's, kept competing, they have come right up to speed how losing managers does not effect their ability to stay has a top side. Has for us we literally hit rock bottom after fergie, 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, and we still trying to look for another Ferguson, we throw away half a billion and we further behind our city rivals, the sad part is? Mourinho is 4 years too late, he was someone we needed after fergie left, not now. He is the best we could have got, but he's not looking to evolve and change, fergie in 2002-06 was looking to evolve and change how he approached things has a manager, mourinho seems to be getting worse, how we approach big games is not play to kill, but play to hide
It’s still one of the best starts to a new season for any United team!

Andersons Dietician

That could certainly be the case.
To be honest I’m not sure he’d even get the apeerances with some of his recent performances, wouldn’t surprise me if he is given a large watching brief from the stand until he adapts to the intensity of the league.

Oneunited26

It’s still one of the best starts to a new season for any United team!
Like I say, we start off strong, it starts to go wrong in October and we out of the title race before Christmas. Still when we go behind in games we usually don't win most of the time

SirAF

Ageist
To be honest I’m not sure he’d even get the apeerances with some of his recent performances, wouldn’t surprise me if he is given a large watching brief from the stand until he adapts to the intensity of the league.
Yes, I was going to make a joke about those apperances never being realised :lol:

SirAF

Ageist
Like I say, we start off strong, it starts to go wrong in October and we out of the title race before Christmas. Still when we go behind in games we usually don't win most of the time
It’s difficult to say this year with City’s amazing start. In a normal year United would be flying at the top with this start - or at least joint with another team.

el3mel

We were out of title race last season from September not November.

The second thing is our results compares to the other rivals are very good. The only problem all other teams are facing are City's extraordinary form IMO. No one would have expected a team to lose only 2 points from first 33. Honestly did you expect such a thing ? We're coping well with the rest of teams in the league, but the problem is no one is coping with City ATM.

Last season we were far away from the rest of top teams most of the season not just from the league leaders. This season is different. What we can do is to do what Roy Keane said. Keep our heads down and win as much as possible and see what will happen.

Fracture90

Yes, I should have specified (even though it said so in the Guardian article). I’m not from the UK either but I always operate with GBP in football finances because United are British.

Either way, we got to the same page eventually!
Yep, all good. *high five*

Oneunited26

The second thing is our results compares to the other rivals are very good. The only problem all other teams are facing are City's extraordinary form IMO. No one would have expected a team to lose only 2 points from first 33. Honestly did you expect such a thing ? We're coping well with the rest of teams in the league, but the problem is no one is coping with City ATM.

Last season we were far away from the rest of top teams most of the season not just from the league leaders. This season is different. What we can do is to do what Roy Keane said. Keep our heads down and win as much as possible and see what will happen.
It does not matter if it was city, chelsea, even leicester of all teams, there is always someone usually better than us these days, think we just got used to it really. Yes city have been in sensational form, but Mourinho needs to step up to the plate because all I see is the challenge is too great. How many times in a big game? do we say, na lets just grab a point, our top 6 record under him is pretty bad. Ferguson had to change if he was going to get back on top has chelsea between 2004-06 were miles ahead of the rest, from our style of play has been awful again, it will be another ok to mediocre painful season to watch. I can see a good CL run, a cup run and hoping to make the top 4.

And we are the opposite, where we are very beatable especially if we go behind in games, Mourinho's plan A is out the window, if we don't score first weather its a top team, or a struggling team, we usually struggle allot of the time. Fact remains he's not improved the squad enough, or moved on the players not up up to standards for better players, still ashley young, lingard etc still make the squad and starting 11

Last edited:

Treble

The difference in points is the same - 8 pts. Last season we were on 18 pts after 11 games while Liverpool who were 1st were on 26 pts. Of course, now the situation is much more favourable because it's one thing to chase 1 team and another to chase 3-4 teams. The home form is excellent.

Oneunited26

The difference in points is the same - 8 pts. Last season we were on 18 pts after 11 games while Liverpool who were 1st were on 26 pts. Of course, now the situation is much more favourable because it's one thing to chase 1 team and another to chase 3-4 teams. The home form is excellent.
We probably will make the top 4, but that's not saying much, it feels like we have to look to next season already at this rate in terms of a title push.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We probably will make the top 4, but that's not saying much, it feels like we have to look to next season already at this rate in terms of a title push.

Things change quickly in football. With Pogba back we could hit some form and win our next 6 games, City could get a draw and a loss in that time and all of a sudden we are one win away from them.

Far too early to call anything, they started like this last year.

el3mel

It does not matter if it was city, chelsea, even leicester of all teams, there is always someone usually better than us these days, think we just got used to it really. Yes city have been in sensational form, but Mourinho needs to step up to the plate because all I see is the challenge is too great. How many times in a big game? do we say, na lets just grab a point, our top 6 record under him is pretty bad. Ferguson had to change if he was going to get back on top has chelsea between 2004-06 were miles ahead of the rest, from our style of play has been awful again, it will be another ok to mediocre painful season to watch. I can see a good CL run, a cup run and hoping to make the top 4.

And we are the opposite, where we are very beatable especially if we go behind in games, Mourinho's plan A is out the window, if we don't score first weather its a top team, or a struggling team, we usually struggle allot of the time. Fact remains he's not improved the squad enough, or moved on the players not up up to standards for better players, still ashley young, lingard etc still make the squad and starting 11
You're getting too many points interfering with each others and I didn't mention them. I'm not here to talk about our plan in big games. What I'm talking about is our results compared to our rivals. There's only one team that's walking away from the rest of the league, but we're in the same complex as the rest of the teams. Last season at this point there were 5 teams ahead of us in the league. People are applauding Spurs for their great football but we have the same points as them and guess what their record in big games this season is crap, one win and 2 loses.

Oneunited26

Things change quickly in football. With Pogba back we could hit some form and win our next 6 games, City could get a draw and a loss in that time and all of a sudden we are one win away from them.

Far too early to call anything, they started like this last year.
My problem is? we don't look like a side capable of beating a top 6 away from home, and if we lose a goal against anyone away from home we are in trouble, that is the problem hoping pogba can solve our problems. Yes football can change quickly, but its like chelsea 2005/06, when a side has that momentum and mental capacity they have that fear factor

You're getting too many points interfering with each others and I didn't mention them. I'm not here to talk about our plan in big games. What I'm talking about is our results compared to our rivals. There's only one team that's walking away from the rest of the league, but we're in the same complex as the rest of the teams. Last season at this point there were 5 teams ahead of us in the league. People are applauding Spurs for their great football but we have the same points as them and guess what their record in big games this season is crap, one win and 2 loses.
Spurs I have never really mentioned, yes we are in the same boat, my problem with Mourinho? what is he going to do to get us evolving, relying on pogba is why we in this situation, he did under buy in the summer, made a gamble at CB which has not paid off, and we are short out wide and in defense. Spurs are your classic leeds of yester years of 97-02, entertaining but won't rattle any cages to worry about. We will make the top 4 that is for sure

Last edited:

el3mel

Guess you replayed on yourself here.

Being 8 points behind the league leader while being second is one thing, but being 8 points behind them while you're resting in 6th is a complete different thing.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
What does it say about Giggs that Moyes is being considered for West Ham over him. He's waiting for a Premier League handout that is never going to arrive.
Could also mean WH are clueless.

RooneyLegend

So lets say we sold Lingard and didn't get Perišić, than what?
Money in the back and a thin squad.
As for blaming the board, sure if you believe the media he is blaming the word. I would take everything media is writing right now with a pinch of salt. Problem is people read and believe what they want to believe and whatever suits their narrative or agenda sometimes. It's how media works. Poor form, a defeat, and suddenly all is black at United and Jose wants to go to PSG.
How wouldn't we get Perisic if we put up the asking price?
Well, this place is riddled with people saying the board didn't back him sufficiently.

RooneyLegend

But people want Pochetinno who got knocked out of the EL by Gent. We beat everyone in front of us.
Wouldn't it be more because he has them competing against much bigger clubs and his team are more than holding their own rather than how they do in a competition he clearly cares little about?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I don't think you need hindsight to know the fullback positions are a mess. Compounded by the wing positions being hit and miss. It's obvious.

On my question though. You think it was better to spend money on Lindelof than a fullback?
At the time everyone wanted a “partner” for Bailly. Rojo had a long term injury, Smalling had a poor season full of mistakes and you can’t seriously have predicted Phil Jones to have come back the way he did.

Ban

How wouldn't we get Perisic if we put up the asking price?
Well, this place is riddled with people saying the board didn't back him sufficiently.
And it's riddled with people who say he was satisfied with the squad. Funny thing is often the same people say both things.

Ban

I dont think he's our most important player, especially since he usually comes off the bench.

And as I said you believe what you want to believe. Funny that all these stories are coming now. It's all doom and gloom at United it seems. Jose is about to leave any moment now. He's mad at Ed and is flirting with PSG.

Status
Not open for further replies.