Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RooneyLegend

Club isn't skint but club on the other hand cant buy about 5, 6 players in one window. And if one of the new players gets injured even a replacement for him in January.
He's doing his best to make it better and I do think he should have bought at least one more player but we don't have bottomless amounts of money.

But hey it's November and it's clear its not working out so lets get a new manager possibly in the summer.
There was a question the other day if anyone is calling for his head and voila. Between the lines many are doing it. Crazy but that's just my opinion.
He's spent 300 million, you can buy lots of quality players with that sort of money. More than that, if he wants to spend 250 in a window, why not clear out some of these players that he has? they have a lot of value. City sold the players they didn't need/want and hence have a net spend rather similar to ours but then again he believes players like Fellaini are key to what he's doing.
I don't buy into that whole "board didn't back him up financially" story at all. It is the same board that gave near unlimited funds to both Moyes and LVG before him, same board that have broken the world record transfer fee to sign Pogba on Mourinho's request and the same board that gave 35y old Ibrahimovic 400k per week. Same board splashed 40 million on each of the Bailly and Lindelof whom were both hugely unproven at that point.
It's absurd, i'd honestly like to see the amount of clubs that have outspent us in the two years he's been here, don't for a second believe there are too many. What's more coaches like Sarri and Poch have gotten teams to a similar level to ours whilst spending a fraction of the money.

Ban

He's spent 300 million, you can buy lots of quality players with that sort of money. More than that, if he wants to spend 250 in a window, why not clear out some of these players that he has? they have a lot of value. City sold the players they didn't need/want and hence have a net spend rather similar to ours but then again he believes players like Fellaini are key to what he's doing.

It's absurd, i'd honestly like to see the amount of clubs that have outspent us in the two years he's been here, don't for a second believe there are too many. What's more coaches like Sarri and Poch have gotten teams to a similar level to ours whilst spending a fraction of the money.
I think it's a better solution first to buy a player than sell a player who is surplus to requirements. I don't know what I'm arguing about here anymore. I didn't say he wasn't backed financially or anything. My point is that calling for his head at this stage of the year is a bit mental.
Also which players have a lot of value? And is it a crime if he thinks good of Fellaini. Poor Fellaini everyone's favorite victim. He's a cause of all of our problems I guess.

I think media is making things up. It happened last season also. When we were in a poor form all these articles about stuff in the dressing room started to appear. And of course again this year people are taking everything that is wrote about him as a gospel cause it's the stuff they want to hear and read and media knows it.

I asked a question in this thread, lets say he goes in the summer. Then what? Yet another manager will solve all of our great problems we have right now. Lets push the reset button again. Ok if he himself decides to go, but people are rubbing their hands at the thought of him leaving.
All because darling Pep is doing a fantastic job right now. I mean not all due to that but City and saint Pep has gotten everyone's knickers in a twist.

RooneyLegend

Jose is doing fine and managing the squad. After a great start, the team has sagged yet are still 2nd in the league but it is tight 2 through 6.

Last year's league finish was an anomaly as the priority to win Europa League, which isn't second rate anymore with the final prize entrance into the elite competition that eluded United LVGs last year is commendable. Oh, and United didn't have their leading scorer for the final.

Jose spending a mini fortune was necessary and it's not as if he's been able to turnover the entire squad, which arguably has to be done. It's never perfect, but he's able to continue reinforcing the squad.

The gap between City and the rest of the league is massive at the moment, but ways to go....and a little context for the masses.

Last year after 11 matchweeks, United were 6th - 16 GF, 13 GA, +3 GD with 18 points...8 points behind Liverpool at 26 points.
This year after 11 matchweeks, United are 2nd - 23 GF, 5 GA, +18 GD with 23 points....8 points behind City at 31 points.
Differences after 11 matches YOY: +4 positions / +7 GF / -8 GA / +15 GD / +5 points....same points behind 1st place
We were 6th for basically the whole season. No matter how we dress it it's a second rate trophy, hence it's used to qualify to another competition. We played against Ajax, a team that probably doesn't have a quarter of our wage bill. How many times do you see managers change a whole squad? he also could if he wanted to, he'd just have to sell some of the one's we have. By the way haven't ever seen United fans so happy for second place where there isn't even a gap between us and the rest.

RooneyLegend

I think it's a better solution first to buy a player than sell a player who is surplus to requirements. I don't know what I'm arguing about here anymore. I didn't say he wasn't backed financially or anything. My point is that calling for his head at this stage of the year is a bit mental.
Also which players have a lot of value? And is it a crime if he thinks good of Fellaini. Poor Fellaini everyone's favorite victim. He's a cause of all of our problems I guess.

I think media is making things up. It happened last season also. When we were in a poor form all these articles about stuff in the dressing room started to appear. And of course again this year people are taking everything that is wrote about him as a gospel cause it's the stuff they want to hear and read and media knows it.

I asked a question in this thread, lets say he goes in the summer. Then what? Yet another manager will solve all of our great problems we have right now. Lets push the reset button again. Ok if he himself decides to go, but people are rubbing their hands at the thought of him leaving.
All because darling Pep is doing a fantastic job right now. I mean not all due to that but City and saint Pep has gotten everyone's knickers in a twist.
Sell to raise funds makes more sense surely? Either way it doesn't matter cause if you know you going to eventually sell the player its practically money in the bank. Let's put it like this, why blame the board for the lack of funds not to purchase Perisic, if he was so desperate to have him he could easily sold Lingard for the deficit. He's not the cause of all our problems but having players like him roaming around season after season is.

boxykronikle

What's wrong with having tons of midfielders or whatever if thats what you need to win? Smalling is shite, but then so is Stones just that it looks like the latter doesn't ever seem to have much defending to do. Probably due to the 'tons of midfielders' ahead of him
Yeah and we can deploy them at fullback positions. Oh wait, we still have to buy fullbacks.

We need to buy proper wingers too because the ones that we have are crap. Jose had the money for like 250m, he should've bought them. That is more than enough.

Fracture90

Sell to raise funds makes more sense surely? Either way it doesn't matter cause if you know you going to eventually sell the player its practically money in the bank. Let's put it like this, why blame the board for the lack of funds not to purchase Perisic, if he was so desperate to have him he could easily sold Lingard for the deficit. He's not the cause of all our problems but having players like him roaming around season after season is.
Exactly and I think Tuanzebe is a great example. Mourinho was praising Tuanzebe who looked great everytime he got the chance, then Mourinho proceeded to spend 40 million on Lindelof, a guy who had under 50 first team appearances under his name in professional football being 23 y old.

Some will draw parallels with Bailey and say, "but Bailly was also unproven and young" which is nowhere near the case. Bailly played against Ronaldo and Messi along with the plethora of the world's finest footballers and was great, unlike Lindelof who had a hard time getting into first team in Benfica.

fellaini's barber

I didn't say it was you who called for his head.

Who made that rule? Nobody made that rule, United has the money but not that kind of money. You said it yourself, City overdo it with spending to the point they're thinking about adding yet another FB just because Mendy got injured.

Sure not every player is 90 mil so what's the solution buy 5, 6 average players or 2, 3 very good ones?
I didn't say Jose was handed a shit squad, did I? Just that fixing everything isn't possible in 2 windows. I'm not saying that as an excuse.
People compare everything too much with City and what would redcafe darling Pep do or not do. If he wasn't handed the money to buy absolutely everyone he wants some of the numbered players would stay in the club, despite the fact he apparently can do no wrong right now.
Look, at the end of the day, everything boils down to what both managers are able/willing to work with. Several players in this squad are players that Pep would have Joe Harted the second he walked through the door as I'm certain he can't work with them. Some of these players on the other hand are Jose's favorite players, turns out he was wrong and the said players are not good enough and are the major reason our football is shite, whose fault is that? Jose and a lot of us here were certain our squad was good enough to challenge especially after a few good games, we were all wrong, and that is fully on the manager. My main issue in all this is people using the 'Pep inherited a better team' 'our squad is shite' excuse for Jose. Because I'm certain that if Pep were here I can bet my house he won't have been fielding Young,Valencia, Fellaini, Darmian or Lingard. If he did we'd still be shit and he'd be criticised accordingly.

Some people on here are making it sound like Jose having loads of average players and Pep having a good squad is the clubs fault, it isn't. If Pep had decided to stick with Toure,Fernando,Kolarov,Mangala and Bony would you be blaming the club for them being crap? Hell last season he got rid of an average keeper for a worse one and we were all laughing at him, would it have been anybody else's fault if Bravo was still there shipping in goals?

red4ever 79

I think we need some sort of code that adds the words "during his final stint at Chelsea and first season and a quarter at United" to this sentence automatically. Seeing as it's so fecking frequently repeated. Over the course of his PL career, his record in these games is as good as almost any other manager I can think of.
You are only as good as your last run of games surely? The same logic applies for players and managers. If anything that is more shocking that even with a better group of player he still adopted the same awful negative tactics. As said before I have no issues if we lose games, or draw games. However it is this setting up not even going out to win games that will cost us. No hope of winning a league if we cant take points of our rivals

Ban

Look, at the end of the day, everything boils down to what both managers are able/willing to work with. Several players in this squad are players that Pep would have Joe Harted the second he walked through the door as I'm certain he can't work with them. Some of these players on the other hand are Jose's favorite players, turns out he was wrong and the said players are not good enough and are the major reason our football is shite, whose fault is that? Jose and a lot of us here were certain our squad was good enough to challenge especially after a few good games, we were all wrong, and that is fully on the manager. My main issue in all this is people using the 'Pep inherited a better team' 'our squad is shite' excuse for Jose. Because I'm certain that if Pep were here I can bet my house he won't have been fielding Young,Valencia, Fellaini, Darmian or Lingard. If he did we'd still be shit and he'd be criticised accordingly.

Some people on here are making it sound like Jose having loads of average players and Pep having a good squad is the clubs fault, it isn't. If Pep had decided to stick with Toure,Fernando,Kolarov,Mangala and Bony would you be blaming the club for them being crap?
I stand by the point Pep indeed did inherit a better squad.
So the problem is Mourinho didn't buy few players more or? Cause as I get it major problem is that all those numbered players are still in the squad.
As for Pep if he would get all the money he needs which he is getting at City he would replace them if not he wouldn't.
As for club's fault or not. I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just saying as rich as we are we can't just go and buy 6, 7 new players like Pep can. That is not anyone's fault. Pep works his magic when he play a Monopoly and can buy whoever the hell he wants. And we're again talking about City and Pep. It's not healthy.

fellaini's barber

Yeah and we can deploy them at fullback positions. Oh wait, we still have to buy fullbacks.

We need to buy proper wingers too because the ones that we have are crap. Jose had the money for like 250m, he should've bought them. That is more than enough.
Nobody cares if Pep/Jose buys 20 defenders, or 20 wingers, if thats what you need to do the job you were hired for then knock yourself out as long as you get the job done

Ban

So lets say we sold Lingard and didn't get Perišić, than what?
Money in the back and a thin squad.
As for blaming the board, sure if you believe the media he is blaming the word. I would take everything media is writing right now with a pinch of salt. Problem is people read and believe what they want to believe and whatever suits their narrative or agenda sometimes. It's how media works. Poor form, a defeat, and suddenly all is black at United and Jose wants to go to PSG.

SirAF

Ageist
Exactly and I think Tuanzebe is a great example. Mourinho was praising Tuanzebe who looked great everytime he got the chance, then Mourinho proceeded to spend 40 million on Lindelof, a guy who had under 50 first team appearances under his name in professional football being 23 y old.

Some will draw parallels with Bailey and say, "but Bailly was also unproven and young" which is nowhere near the case. Bailly played against Ronaldo and Messi along with the plethora of the world's finest footballers and was great, unlike Lindelof who had a hard time getting into first team in Benfica.
30.75m - at least get the numbers right.

fellaini's barber

I stand by the point Pep indeed did inherit a better squad.
So the problem is Mourinho didn't buy few players more or? Cause as I get it major problem is that all those numbered players are still in the squad.
As for Pep if he would get all the money he needs which he is getting at City he would replace them if not he wouldn't.
As for club's fault or not. I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just saying as rich as we are we can't just go and buy 6, 7 new players like Pep can. That is not anyone's fault. Pep works his magic when he play a Monopoly and can buy whoever the hell he wants. And we're again talking about City and Pep. It's not healthy.
Well, you are talking about City and Pep too when you claim Pep got a better squad so its natural people talk about City to denounce that notion. The point I've been trying to make is, have you considered the fact that we didn't buy 5/6 players because Jose didn't think he needed them? Have you considered the fact Jose has no issue with players we all keep listing as 'shite' players? Fellaini is our most important outfield player at the moment ffs

Treble

Those saying that City had a better squad prior to Pep are deluding themselves. They had several star players, in particular Aguero, Silva and KDB. But they had many oldish palyers who peaked several years ago and had to be replaced from the keeper through Kompany and Toure and the full backs to Navas, Bony etc.

How many City players would be firm starters for Jose at this United team now? KDB and...? Aguero is not a Jose type of CF, Silva could find himself benched for big games, Sane/Jesus are not supposed to be more talented than Martial/Rashford...

Ban

Well, you are talking about City and Pep too when you claim Pep got a better squad so its natural people talk about City to denounce that notion. The point I've been trying to make is, have you considered the fact that we didn't buy 5/6 players because Jose didn't think he needed them? Have you considered the fact Jose has no issue with players we all keep listing as 'shite' players? Fellaini is our most important outfield player at the moment ffs
How is Fellaini our most important outfield player exactly?

So what do we believe, that he's blaming the board for not backing him enough or that he's satisfied with the squad he has?

Fracture90

Yes, except that The Guardian and The Telegraph are among the most respected newspapers in the UK.
But we don't have the means to know for sure which amount is the correct one, right? Not unless the club itself decides to make it public. We can only guess, pretty much like them newspapers are doing?

reddaz71

What an absolute joke of a fanbase we have...it took Ferguson 4 years to win a single trophy and Mourinho comes in and wins us TWO in his first season and currently 2nd in the league....I can sympathise with him if he feels he does not get enough credit here,some only remember the glory years and want and feel its a divine right for it to continue forever,it does not work like that, Mourinho deserves credit,respect and support in that he has actually galvanised us to our best start to a campaign for 5 years!! If you cannot support us when we are losing please dont support us when we are winning,its abit plastic!!!

SirAF

Ageist
But we don't have the means to know for sure which amount is the correct one, right? Not unless the club itself decides to make it public. We can only guess, pretty much like them newspapers are doing?
For sure - but to be fair the likes of The Telegraph are more likely to have trustworthy sources than you and I. You’d rather trust The Guardian instead of the bloke down the pub - maybe not the case with The Sun and Mirror.

Either way, regardless of the numbers, you couldn’t expect Mourinho to not buy another CB after last year’s injury crisis.
Tuanzabe is a decent talent but it would be foolish to rely on him as backup considering the questionable fitness of the other CBs (Jones and Smalling + Rojo still out)

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
We were 6th for basically the whole season. No matter how we dress it it's a second rate trophy, hence it's used to qualify to another competition. We played against Ajax, a team that probably doesn't have a quarter of our wage bill. How many times do you see managers change a whole squad? he also could if he wanted to, he'd just have to sell some of the one's we have. By the way haven't ever seen United fans so happy for second place where there isn't even a gap between us and the rest.
But people want Pochetinno who got knocked out of the EL by Gent. We beat everyone in front of us.

Dobbs

How is Fellaini our most important outfield player exactly?

So what do we believe, that he's blaming the board for not backing him enough or that he's satisfied with the squad he has?
I don't think we have to believe or guess at anything. Mourinho has made it clear he wanted four players this summer. The board didn't get him one of those(Perisic). Again Mourinho made it clear he wasn't all that bothered by it.

So he's fairly satisfied with his squad.

Ban

I don't think we have to believe or guess at anything. Mourinho has made it clear he wanted four players this summer. The board didn't get him one of those(Perisic). Again Mourinho made it clear he wasn't all that bothered by it.

So he's fairly satisfied with his squad.
Yeah but when stories about him being angry with the board emerge people lap it up. And go with 'how dare he say he wasn't backed' and similar.

However you turn it's his fault.
If he's satisfied how the hell is he satisfied?
If he didn't buy any more players why didn't he buy
If he's angry at the board how dare he be angry, he was backed handsomely.

Dobbs

For sure - but to be fair the likes of The Telegraph are more likely to have trustworthy sources than you and I. You’d rather trust The Guardian instead of the bloke down the pub - maybe not the case with The Sun and Mirror.

Either way, regardless of the numbers, you couldn’t expect Mourinho to not buy another CB after last year’s injury crisis.
Tuanzabe is a decent talent but it would be foolish to rely on him as backup considering the questionable fitness of the other CBs (Jones and Smalling + Rojo still out)
You'd rather rely on Lindelof? Or put another way you think the benefit of having Lindelof is greater than using Tuanzebe and spending that money on a fullback instead?

Dobbs

Yeah but when stories about him being angry with the board emerge people lap it up. And go with 'how dare he say he wasn't backed' and similar.

However you turn it it's his fault.
I take your point there. Better to ignore the press really.

But you are making comparisons to City and their ability to buy 5 or 6 in one window. As I've just pointed out Mourinho only asked for four. Whatever our ability to buy more that's all he felt he needed. He made that clear to us.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Drama about Mourinho leaving or wanting an improved contract will always come up; whether true or not. One should not forget he's a Mendes client after all. Remember when Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Real Madrid each summer?

Ban

I take your point there. Better to ignore the press really.

But you are making comparisons to City and their ability to buy 5 or 6 in one window. As I've just pointed out Mourinho only asked for four. Whatever our ability to buy more that's all he felt he needed. He made that clear to us.
I get that. My point was we can't just go out there and buy 5, 6 players in one window. And on top of that some more in January. Hopefully we will add someone in January but I wouldn't bet on it.

It can't be both ways, he's satisfied and he's angry with the board.

SirAF

Ageist
You'd rather rely on Lindelof? Or put another way you think the benefit of having Lindelof is greater than using Tuanzebe and spending that money on a fullback instead?
Hindsight is 20/20, right?

I’m confident Lindelof can still come good - and if he does then his passing out from the back could become a real asset for the team. He’s only been at the club for three months!

Andersons Dietician

Be kind and link me your verified source will you?
Pretty sure he is half right. That is the initial payment but I’m sure I read that with bonuses it ends up being 42mil. Also pretty sure that was his buyout clause.

On a kinda different subject the board kinda saved himself from himself. I’m glad Inter played hardball as there isn’t a snowballs chance in hell that Peresic was worth that much and I can’t get over the sudden upswift in the perception of how good Peresic was. Seemed like a doomed signing right from the get go like Kezman, Pedro Leon, Jiri Jarozik.

SirAF

Ageist
Pretty sure he is half right. That is the initial payment but I’m sure I read that with bonuses it ends up being 42mil. Also pretty sure that was his buyout clause.

On a kinda different subject the board kinda saved himself from himself. I’m glad Inter played hardball as there isn’t a snowballs chance in hell that Peresic was worth that much and I can’t get over the sudden upswift in the perception of how good Peresic was. Seemed like a doomed signing right from the get go like Kezman, Pedro Leon, Jiri Jarozik.
Yes, there are bonuses that are worth about 10m EUR.
However, we don’t know what will trigger those bonuses, might never happen with the way he is playing now :lol:, so it would be incorrect to quote anything other than the base fee. Just like with Martial.

EyeInTheSky

However you turn it's his fault.
Nail on head. Any opportunity to stick the knife in no matter if it completely contradicts each and every one of their complaints. People like this are just a waste of space and have no shame.

Fracture90

You're completely missing / failing to understand my point in both sides.

All credit given to Telegraph, at the end of the day they're still newspapers that are guessing (like you and I) the fee. Be it 40 or 30, or the golden middle of 35, it's all speculation until the club itself comes out and tells us the fee.

Point is that Mourinho has had an immense financial backing and the sheer fact that on Mourinho's demand the club was willing to spend somewhere between 30.75 and 40 million for a 23y old defender who at that point in his career was only braking into the first team and has had less then 50 first team appearances in a very weak league, says it all regarding financial backing he has in UTD.

SirAF

Ageist
You're completely missing / failing to understand my point in both sides.

All credit given to Telegraph, at the end of the day they're still newspapers that are guessing (like you and I) the fee. Be it 40 or 30, or the golden middle of 35, it's all speculation until the club itself comes out and tells us the fee.

Point is that Mourinho has had an immense financial backing and the sheer fact that on Mourinho's demand the club was willing to spend somewhere between 30.75 and 40 million for a 23y old defender who at that point in his career was only braking into the first team and has had less then 50 first team appearances in a very weak league, says it all regarding financial backing he has in UTD.
Nah, I got your point. My point was that the highest reported fee was chosen to bloat it and make it seem «worse».

As for the fee, it might not matter, but I have confirmed it now.

Dobbs

Hindsight is 20/20, right?

I’m confident Lindelof can still come good - and if he does then his passing out from the back could become a real asset for the team. He’s only been at the club for three months!
I don't think you need hindsight to know the fullback positions are a mess. Compounded by the wing positions being hit and miss. It's obvious.

On my question though. You think it was better to spend money on Lindelof than a fullback?

Status
Not open for further replies.