Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Thought it was a bit of a boring performance and we lacked creativity once again. Fair enough, Spurs have a great defence. Happy with the result I guess but next week vs Chelsea is more important IMO.
Boring? It was end to end.

Minimalist

Thought it was a bit of a boring performance and we lacked creativity once again. Fair enough, Spurs have a great defence. Happy with the result I guess but next week vs Chelsea is more important IMO.
Watch out with that moderate viewpoint. They tend to get lumped into the ‘negative’ box.

The Bloody-Nine

Quite the opposite I believe, seems like you have forgotten LVG times.
How could I possibly have forgotten the worst football I have ever had the misfortune of watching? The sideways passing. Game after game without managing a single shot on target. Draw after draw. Yeah, I'll never forget that appalling shit. Seems you have, though.

SirAF

Ageist

Superb 2nd half. Spurs didn't get a look in really.

Huge performance from the lads. Jose must be delighted.
Yes, the second half was excellent. Judging by some here you'd think they were under the kosh for 90 minutes though!

Minimalist

How could I possibly have forgotten the worst football I have ever had the misfortune of watching? The sideways passing. Game after game without managing a single shot on target. Draw after draw. Yeah, I'll never forget that appalling shit. Seems you have, though.
There was a bloke before LVG you might remember. Go ahead, tell me Moyes had us playing better football. I fecking dare you.

AS18_

Midfield is crippled with injuries. Hence being over numbered and struggling to connect with the attack. Bypassing it and playing the long ball was the right choice.

JohnnyKills

Can't understand the moaning here. Spurs are one of the toughest oppositions we will face this season here at Old Trafford and we won against them.

If you look at the game tactically, they had 4 v 2 in the center and made the pitch very narrow for us to play out in the first half. Naturally, Matic and Herrera had a hard time sticking the passes together in that congested area. Micky had to come deep to receive the ball and had so many bodies to go through or thread the ball to the forwards. That's why we miss Pogba so much.

The problem for us in the first half was that we weren't able to switch the wings quickly, a lot of our build-up is so slow that gives these high pressing sides to cover the field rather easily. We did switch the play better in the second half and created few decent opportunities from wide areas. We looked like the only team who is going to win it in the second-half, which we did.

I will take this result and performance any day of the year.
Everyone is happy with the result in isolation. Had we been playing brilliantly, I'm sure everyone could accept this as a one-off.

But look at the last few games. Southampton - we created hardly any chances and were lucky to get the win. Liverpool - we created only one real chance and deserved to lose. Benfica - we scored from a long-range free-kick that the keeper carried into his own net, created little else. Huddersfield - we created hardly anything. Today we created hardly anything and needed a punt downfield to score.

In those five games we've managed three goals, two of which were from crosses and one from hoofball. We mocked Moyes for his obsession with crosses but we're the same at the moment.

Granted four of those games were away from home, which makes a big difference. The defence is rock-solid and that's half the battle.

But we're miles, miles away from the best sides in terms of our attacking play at the moment; if we aspire to be an elite side we can't just resort to aimless punts downfield.

Frankly I'd say our attacking play is worse than it was last season.

Minimalist

Yes, I do remember him. I have never been as bored as I was while watching us under LvG.
That not what you said. You said the worst football you’ve seen. Wengers football can be awfully boring too.

Moyes was entertaining in a tragic, hilarious and morbid sort of way. It was still way worse than what followed - even if it wasn’t good enough.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
The people who aren't happy with our attacking play aren't demanding that we should play like Brazil of 82', they are just (rightfully imo) stating that atm our attack is far from convincing. We did hoof it a lot today, especially in the first half and to say that is not whining, it's just the truth. I can't understand people who seem to believe that we shouldn't be allowed to expect more from the team in terms of the style of play and creating chances if we win or draw, or if we are solid defensively.
'Shut up and be happy with the points' is the mentality of a team fighting for relegation. We have one of the most expensive squads in history and even with a few injuries it's not a crime wishing for more quality in our attack.
I also believe that the past few weeks are spilling over in terms of people's expectations. We were dreadful going forward against Southampton, Pool, Benfica and Huddersfield, and while I'm personally pretty happy with today's performance given the opposition I can understand that others might still wish for more.

The Bloody-Nine

That not what you said. You said the worst football you’ve seen. Wengers football can be awfully boring too.

Moyes was entertaining in a tragic, hilarious and morbid sort of way. It was still way worse than what followed - even if it wasn’t good enough.
Yes, it was the worst football I've ever seen. Because it bored the living shit out of me and made me want to go do something else.

I was never bored watching us under Moyes. Horrified, maybe, but never bored.

Kag

Everyone is happy with the result in isolation. Had we been playing brilliantly, I'm sure everyone could accept this as a one-off.

But look at the last few games. Southampton - we created hardly any chances and were lucky to get the win. Liverpool - we created only one real chance and deserved to lose. Benfica - we scored from a long-range free-kick that the keeper carried into his own net, created little else. Huddersfield - we created hardly anything. Today we created hardly anything and needed a punt downfield to score.

In those five games we've managed three goals, two of which were from crosses and one from hoofball. We mocked Moyes for his obsession with crosses but we're the same at the moment.

Granted four of those games were away from home, which makes a big difference. The defence is rock-solid and that's half the battle.

But we're miles, miles away from the best sides in terms of our attacking play at the moment; if we aspire to be an elite side we can't just resort to aimless punts downfield.

Well said. I can understand why people take issue with some of the numpties that frequent the match day threads, but this is a considered response that really pinpoints our attacking struggles in recent weeks. Like you, I'm not impressed at all.

JohnnyKills

Well said. I can understand why people take issue with some of the numpties that frequent the match day threads, but this is a considered response that really pinpoints our attacking struggles in recent weeks. Like you, I'm not impressed at all.
Thanks pal.

Social Faux Pas

I agree with most of what you are saying, except the last line. If you look at the season as a whole we have performed better in the attacking sense than last year. Our performances have dipped since Pogba's departure, more precisely after the international break. With Fellaini out, our long balls game have also become hit and hope.

You can argue Spurs who have been praised to play some scintillating football have looked rather average since Kane has been out injured.

Pogba and Kane are kind of players that make a system tick and with them being out any team would struggle. Add to that our Plan B is also off the table, you could see why we are struggling.

Last edited:
Reactions: KM

el3mel

The people who aren't happy with our attacking play aren't demanding that we should play like Brazil of 82', they are just (rightfully imo) stating that atm our attack is far from convincing. We did hoof it a lot today, especially in the first half and to say that is not whining, it's just the truth. I can't understand people who seem to believe that we shouldn't be allowed to expect more from the team in terms of the style of play and creating chances if we win or draw, or if we are solid defensively.
'Shut up and be happy with the points' is the mentality of a team fighting for relegation. We have one of the most expensive squads in history and even with a few injuries it's not a crime wishing for more quality in our attack.
I also believe that the past few weeks are spilling over in terms of people's expectations. We were dreadful going forward against Southampton, Pool, Benfica and Huddersfield, and while I'm personally pretty happy with today's performance given the opposition I can understand that others might still wish for more.
We can't build a proper with Matic-Herrera-Mikhi, has nothing to do with tactics, the attacking players with anything. If you have a midfield who always drops deep with zero ability to drive forward and always thinks first of backpassing, and a playmaker who's as weak as my little sister ( and I don't have a little sister ) losing every 50/50, then yes you're asking too much.

Today we did the best we can with what we have. I'll only criticize our attacking play if Pogba is playing.

Janson

It was pathetic. I got myself banned from the matchday thread to avoid that shite but it’s infested the whole forum. Whiny little bitches who can’t understand why their team won’t shit on everyone they play for 90 minutes. We were clearly the better team today and deserved to win but Spurs are about as tough a nut to crack as we’ll face all season. Could easily have been 3 nil too.
They really have. At least it's relieving to know that a few spoiled and irrational fans who expect real football to play out like a fifa game, don't represent the majority of our fanbase.

JohnnyKills

I agree with most of what you are saying, except the last line. If you look at the season as a whole we have performed better in the attacking sense than last year. Our performances have dipped since Pogba's departure, more precisely after the international break. With Fellaini out, our long balls game have also become hit and hope.

You can argue Spurs who have been praised to play some scintillating football have looked rather average since Kane has been out injured.

Pogba and Kane are kind of players that make a system tick and with them being out any team would struggle. Add to that our Plan B is also off the table, you could see why we are struggling.
Yeah all fair points, but again, you've got to look at where we want to be as a team.

A really top team doesn't fall apart if it's best player is injured. Yes it's a major blow but a top team will adapt and maintain a decent level of football. We haven't done that.

Janson

The discussions after this game would make you think we've lost. The Mourinho haters were probably hoping we don't win today, so it kind of makes sense there are many who are disappointed after this game.

Minimalist

The discussions after this game would make you think we've lost. The Mourinho haters were probably hoping we don't win today, so it kind of makes sense there are many who are disappointed after this game.
There's only childish posts coming from one side and it's not the people making their various criticisms. Criticisms that were mostly during the match before the final result.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So much agenda posting that you can't even remember what you posted 1 minute ago :lol:

Theonas

Scout

Well put!

Janson

There's only childish posts coming from one side and it's not the people making their various criticisms. Criticisms that were mostly during the match before the final result.
They are all over the forum even after. I'm not sure what you mean by childish but it's only natural that irrational criticism after this performance will be ridiculed to some degree.

Minimalist

They are all over the forum even after. I'm not sure what you mean by childish but it's only natural that irrational criticism after this performance will be ridiculed to some degree.
Childish is trying to silence people by calling them whiny, negative etc etc. There's room for reasonable takes on the match from both ends.

I don't even get what your point is. Mine was that people who weren't happy with the play (mostly in the first half) didn't start calling those who were happy with it delusional or what not.

The Bloody-Nine

Childish is trying to silence people by calling them whiny, negative etc etc. There's room for reasonable takes on the match from both ends.

I don't even get what your point is. Mine was that people who weren't happy with the play (mostly in the first half) didn't start calling those who were happy with it delusional or what not.
You said 'childish posts' are only coming from one side. I highlighted one from the other side right above your post.

R'hllor

Seems you cant be critic nor mention something which is clear for everyone to see. Cultists are really a weird bunch, you say performance wasnt great, they come out and attack you with bs questions like "how can you say that when we won". Wouldnt be surprised if they take a part in some weird ritual, with hoods/robes and everything standing in tight circle and poking each others eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.