Jose Mourinho admits he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini leaving Manchester United

cyril C

It's not like he's making the starting lineup here either. He's a squad player for us currently not a main player.

We're losing Carrick in summer so losing another midfielder will leave us short in this position and one signing won't be enough. If he's willing to stay as a squad player and gets a squad player salary I'm all for him to stay. What's unacceptable is if he wants a pay rise like 170k as it was reported earlier.
That's why we should go for another quality MF in the summer, not in a hurry. But someone who can challenge Matic and Herrera. Then we can promote one of the kids from Academy as 5th choice MF

haram

Galatasary seem to be the only team in for him, and that's dependant on Badou Ndiaye going from Galatasary to Stoke. This is the level Fellaini is at - potential replacement for a Stoke midfielder.

Having someone come off the bench that can 'contribute' should be the minimal requirement for any team. Utd should have gamechangers 1-11 and on the bench too. When City bring Jesus and Aguero off the bench, they are every bit as much a threat as the rest. When Fellaini comes on, everyone panics, play long, speculative balls to no avail.

Get him gone.
We cannot replace eveyone at once. Why do people not understand that. He is a potential game changer off the bench.

cyril C

We cannot replace eveyone at once. Why do people not understand that. He is a potential game changer off the bench.
Why do you get the impression that we are selling Fellaini this Jan? If someone come in with a 40m offer then OK the club might be tempted, but no club will be that stupid for an average player who will be out of contract in 6 months time. If any club come in with say 10m bid, do you think we will sell? Fellaini will definitely stay for this season, whether he will leave in the summer is purely up to him, that's why the Mourinho comment.

As for replacement MF, don't tell me there is no better option than Fellaini? In another thread I argued that, assuming both Fellaini and Carrick positions will be vacant, let's go for 1 quality MF who can compete with Matic and Herrera (150K-180K), then promote 1 of the Academy player as 5th choice.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Why do you get the impression that we are selling Fellaini this Jan? If someone come in with a 40m offer then OK the club might be tempted, but no club will be that stupid for an average player who will be out of contract in 6 months time. If any club come in with say 10m bid, do you think we will sell? Fellaini will definitely stay for this season, whether he will leave in the summer is purely up to him, that's why the Mourinho comment.

As for replacement MF, don't tell me there is no better option than Fellaini? In another thread I argued that, assuming both Fellaini and Carrick positions will be vacant, let's go for 1 quality MF who can compete with Matic and Herrera (150K-180K), then promote 1 of the Academy player as 5th choice.
Where does McTominay feature in this? Also, Periera should be coming back this summer, no?

If one of Pogba, Matic and new midfielder signing gets hurt, we seem incredibly light in the midfield all of a sudden.

Nikelesh Reddy

You’re on your own with Lukaku being excellent with the ball at his feet. Not as bad as some might say, but you’re on your own in this hornet’s nest with a bold statement like that.
Should have said compared to Fellaini!Compared to Felli,hes brilliant with the ball at his feet....

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's a decent player and he did okay for us giving the circumstances. Forgive me, but I want him gone so we can finally close the Moyes chapter. Fellaini is still a big remainder of that shit show for me. Just being honest.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's a decent player and he did okay for us giving the circumstances. Forgive me, but I want him gone so we can finally close the Moyes chapter. Fellaini is still a big remainder of that shit show for me. Just being honest.
Do you want Mata gone as well then?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Do you want Mata gone as well then?
No I don't. Fellaini is associated with us having a horrible transfer window that summer. Chasing Bale, Fabregas, Ronaldo only to end up with Fellaini on the final day. We also overpaid for him since he had a release clause.

stevoc

Potentially yes he is and people repeat it on here so much that its became fact for many that hes a great plan B off the bench.

But i dont know if reality supports that perception. I dont have the stats in front of me but if Felllaini has came on and scored/assisted to turn a game around more than a handful of times in his 5 years here i would be very surprised.

iKeano

Potentially yes he is and people repeat it on here so much that its became fact for many that hes a great plan B off the bench.

But i dont know if reality supports that perception. I dont have the stats in front of me but if Felllaini has came on and scored/assisted to turn a game around more than a handful of times in his 5 years here i would be very surprised.
This. His alleged aerial ability is the biggest myth in football.
Giroud is effective off the bench in the air. Fellaini isn't.
Only thing he impacts off the bench is out game plan, when we go from trying to attack, to midfielders having to drop back to cover for Fellaini's defensive lacking and lump long balls upfront to at best, a cushioned glancing header in no general direction.

junglemusic

Jose gone down in my estimations after Fellaini-gate today. #1 what job did he bring him on to do? I'm baffled. #2 don't take him off after 8 minutes, that's just humiliating. Maybe he's trying to get rid of him? Mourinho needs to sort his ego out and concentrate on getting our team playing like they look like they should on paper.

svn

Jose gone down in my estimations after Fellaini-gate today. #1 what job did he bring him on to do? I'm baffled. #2 don't take him off after 8 minutes, that's just humiliating. Maybe he's trying to get rid of him? Mourinho needs to sort his ego out and concentrate on getting our team playing like they look like they should on paper.
Why are so quick to post this drivel? Can you not wait 20 minutes and see if there's any news on whether he was injured before jumping to conclusions?

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
For what it’s worth the commentator on NBC Sports clearly thought it was Jose changing his mind. The injury wasn’t too obvious since the ball was 100% in Spurs’ possession. As Fellaini was coming off he even said “that’s a terrible feeling for a player being subbed off like that”.

L1nk

As much as I don't believe Fellaini is a good enough player for us, I don't want to see a player humiliated like that, in some weird way I hope he did pick up a niggling injury because that would explain why Mourinho did what he did, because otherwise it was ridiculous. Tottenham were playing quick and powerful, pressing hard, anybody could see Fellaini was a pointless substitution, Herrera should of been subbed on first.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I doubt Mourinho would change him after ten minutes no matter what, but he looked really angry after one of Spurs' attack, when camera showed him he immediately turned away to Herrera pointing him to come on completely pissed off. Maybe he was just pissed off with the bad luck because of the injury.

Toad

He is powerless to stop him leaving the club so shows his power by subbing him on the pitch :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
So he was injured :nervous: A recurrence of the same injury that’s been a problem all season. Lateral ligament in his knee. That has to be a worry for him, long term.
Yet many on here are crying out for us to tie him down to a new, highly lucrative, long term contract because he offers us a 'different dynamic' when he comes on. fecking get rid, once and for all while we can.

iKeano

So he was injured :nervous: A recurrence of the same injury that’s been a problem all season. Lateral ligament in his knee. That has to be a worry for him, long term.
Yet many on here are crying out for us to tie him down to a new, highly lucrative, long term contract because he offers us a 'different dynamic' when he comes on. fecking get rid, once and for all while we can.
The love-in on here has always baffled me. Despite his completely underwelming 'contribution' over the past 5 years - 101 league appearances, 11 league goals - on the face of it now, he's a 30 year old with dodgy knees.
Worst players in my lifetime to make 100+ appearances. Get rid.

King.of.Red

So, now he wont be powerless to keep him, right? :D
Or is it now the right time for Jose to change his mind to let Fellaini go and buy better player for our midfield..
As a supporter, I have mixed feeling. I like Fellaini and think he is very useful squad player for our team but his limitations really frustrate me and I believe there should be younger and better player out there that has similar attributes like him that we can buy.

King.of.Red

So, now he wont be powerless to keep him, right? :D
Or is it now the right time for Jose to change his mind to let Fellaini go and buy better player for our midfield..
As a supporter, I have mixed feeling. I like Fellaini and think he is very useful squad player for our team but his limitations really frustrate me and I believe there should be younger and better player out there that has similar attributes like him that we can buy.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Apparently he wasnt powerless to stop him leaving after all. Just play him for 7 minutes and wait for him to injury his knee again :(

I'll never be a fan. I accept that he's effective, and he would be a real asset for any mid table team, but I'll never be happy with him playing for us

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Makes him look like a bit of an idiot playing hard ball in negotiations when he’s nearly out of contract.

sully1

Where does McTominay feature in this? Also, Periera should be coming back this summer, no?

If one of Pogba, Matic and new midfielder signing gets hurt, we seem incredibly light in the midfield all of a sudden.
McTominay was never meant to get any first team football this season, he didnt even go to the pre season tour with the first team in the summer.

Mourinho told Periera not to go out on loan as he planned on using him this season, Periera didnt agree with Mourinho and said wanted regular football which meant Mourinho had to go into the reserves to promote a centre mid to take Periera's place.

I reckon had Mourinho know that Periera was gona go on loan last minute he would have kept TFM from going on loan to CP. But that was not possible because TFM agreed his loan deal with CP much before Periera left.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bit worrying that he's got a recurring knee ligament injury. For a midfielder who's supposed to be tough tackling and covering distance it's not a great thing.

Feel bad for him as recurring injuries can be a real pain, but he's made a real error not re-signing. He could end up jobless and having to take some low ball offer.

MadMike

fecking let him go. It will force us to buy 2 players for CM.
No need for 2 even if he goes. Matic, Pogba and Herrera are staying. We’ll need a new, starting XI quality CM which will make it 4. Then we have the returning Pereira and McTominay as 5th and 6th. That’s enough depth and quality for a team that only rarely needs to play with 3 midfielders anyway. Any other arrival would require more departures than just Carrick and Fellaini

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
No need for 2 even if he goes. Matic, Pogba and Herrera are staying. We’ll need a new, starting XI quality CM which will make it 4. Then we have the returning Pereira and McTominay as 5th and 6th. That’s enough depth and quality for a team that only rarely needs to play with 3 midfielders anyway. Any other arrival would require more departures than just Carrick and Fellaini
Depends on if we are getting Griezmann or not. If we arent then I would us to push Pogba to play the #10/advanced attacking mid role and have a box-to-box new CM and Matic behind him. In that case, we need two CMs to have a back up to Matic so Perreira, Herrera and new CDM can be part of the 2nd unit while McTominay being an option as well.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
As much as I don't believe Fellaini is a good enough player for us, I don't want to see a player humiliated like that, in some weird way I hope he did pick up a niggling injury because that would explain why Mourinho did what he did, because otherwise it was ridiculous. Tottenham were playing quick and powerful, pressing hard, anybody could see Fellaini was a pointless substitution, Herrera should of been subbed on first.
What's pointless about replacing Pogba(who had an absolute mare) with a guy he can trust to stay disciplined and hold his position alongside Matic when it was obvious we were getting over-run in midfield ? Not sure how Herrera running about like a headless chicken would've helped us