Jose Mourinho admits he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini leaving Manchester United

edgar allan

My point is your statement regarding Lingard only playing because he's the best player in his position is the same as every first team player... De Gea is only playing because he's the best goalkeeper. I then pointed out that Lingard plays more regularly through the middle than he does on the right wing, so your point about him being relegated to the bench once another player is bought isn't true.

I see Lingard as a first team player who will start around 50% of our games.
My point is your statement regarding Lingard only playing because he's the best player in his position is the same as every first team player... De Gea is only playing because he's the best goalkeeper. I then pointed out that Lingard plays more regularly through the middle than he does on the right wing, so your point about him being relegated to the bench once another player is bought isn't true.

I see Lingard as a first team player who will start around 50% of our games if he stays fit - irrespective of the right wing position. He's in the same category as the likes of Martial/Rashford/Herrera, whereas Fellaini is in the same category as Shaw/Darmian/Blind.
De gea is world class we don't need any improvement. We need an upgrade on Lingard if we are to progress and improve. He has played well at times this year and has an important role as squad player but if he commands a regular starting place again next year we won't be going forward.

Don't waste a fortune on a bumper new contract for Fellaini; we could use the cash better on an upgrade. He isn't a terrible player; he's a big strong guy who would be an asset to most team - see Everton - but I just don't see him as United class. If we're to compete with City and the other top team in Europe, we need better than Fellaini.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Let's hope it continues this way. We can get another tall strong header for emergency cases for less money.

SATA

I wanted him to stay after his winner on Sunday and seeing him thumping the United badge on his shirt. Perhaps it was just a spur in the moment and now that the dust has settled, i am not so sure now

clarkydaz

Mourinho was quick to say the standard of the squad is average when he couldn't be Sevilla, and we cant compete with City. Yet here he is pleading with a yard dog to sign a new contract. None of the top 6 would have him

Mourinho was quick to say the standard of the squad is average when he couldn't be Sevilla, and we cant compete with City. Yet here he is pleading with a yard dog to sign a new contract. None of the top 6 would have him
Agreed. We need better in order to compete with the best sides. I don't see the point in spending a fortune on a new contract for him.

FerociousCorgis

exactly. between fellaini, blind, and darmian we have 3 players who absolutely need to go. Thats a pretty decent little wage free up too. Won't have any shot of catching city if we are relying on guys like this next year. Fellaini has like 1-2 good games a year. Rest of the time he is average at best. Move on from him. If you want to go long ball at very end of game fine, just move a CB up or something and aim at him. Would be just as successful as fellaini has been.

finneh

De gea is world class we don't need any improvement. We need an upgrade on Lingard if we are to progress and improve. He has played well at times this year and has an important role as squad player but if he commands a regular starting place again next year we won't be going forward.
If we're looking to relegate every player who is of Lingard's level or below to the bench then based on this seasons performances we probably 7 new signings.

SambaBoy

If Fellaini was starting every game CM or even getting Herrera like minutes on the pitch then I would definitely want an upgrade, but for what he offers us, I am more than happy for him to stay. He is a great option to have on the bench to stick on the last 10-15 minutes if we haven't been able to break down a team. It's not pretty to watch but it's better than hoofing it to no-one, he's a massive threat in the air.

R'hllor

Blood went in Afro`s head and why it shouldnt, when best manager in the world by some or most here is on his knees begging him to sign up a new contract. I mean he tried to use his injury as a tool to convince him to sign up ffs :lol:

In a words of Lord Buckethead when it comes to negotiations, it will be a shitshow.

Skolden

I hope he stays.
Jose wants him and his replacement would be some budget signing that is similar.

Spend the money on the new midfielder instead who will be bought in to be in the starting team.

Fellaini have the right attitude, if not Jose would kick him out asap

Distracted Steward

Early in the season I would have been desperate to keep him. I’d be glad to see him go at this point. I like him, but he’s not worth the trouble.

Fellaini is useful and a tool well fit for Mourinho, but we can move on. Imagine his aggression with a step less. Imagine him sticking his foot in for the ball a split second late. If he gets what he wants—more than one year—I think that’s what we’ll see. No thanks.

Fellaini is useful, but he’s not going to take the team forward. He’s not the quality to command a first team spot and hasn’t been available that often this year. He’s slipping into the autumn of his career. For him to have a spot, it would come at the expense of someone with potential to grow and their prime yet to come.
I’d rather see McTominey and TFM splitting his time in lower level matches and a top central midfielder brought in to complete the midfield three.

edgar allan

If Fellaini was starting every game CM or even getting Herrera like minutes on the pitch then I would definitely want an upgrade, but for what he offers us, I am more than happy for him to stay. He is a great option to have on the bench to stick on the last 10-15 minutes if we haven't been able to break down a team. It's not pretty to watch but it's better than hoofing it to no-one, he's a massive threat in the air.
He's no Peter Crouch

Davistiano

I do not hate Fellaini to be honest, and I probably do not want him to go.

But I always wondered: what did Jose see in Fellaini that makes him desperately wants Fellaini to stay and we could not see?

There must be something I guess......otherwise he would have got the "no, do not renew him" order from Ed already I suppose?

In Jose I trust!

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I do not hate Fellaini to be honest, and I probably do not want him to go.

But I always wondered: what did Jose see in Fellaini that makes him desperately wants Fellaini to stay and we could not see?

There must be something I guess......otherwise he would have got the "no, do not renew him" order from Ed already I suppose?

In Jose I trust!

IMHO it's pure economics. We cannot to afford the player without replacing. And if Fellaini goes then we have to get cover (up-grade? ) on him. Then we might be not getting other players we need.

extincti fugax hominum

We were so close to being rid of this footballing atrocity and getting in two quality new CM's, now we are going to have two more years of giving up playing footbal with 30 minutes to go and throwing on a big lump to play Stokeball to.
My thoughts exactly. Jose is seriously getting delusional for begging Marouane feckin Fellaini of all people to stay while being happy to let Martial go and if he thinks we can not find a better player than Fellaini. Give his game time to McTominay who has the same height if you can't afford to buy 2 midfielders in the summer. It's not like Fellaini is better at passing or in the air too. I've never seen a player who is this tall and shite in the air actually.

:lol: Those quotes are amazing. Before people start jumping up the clubs arse, Fellani says he asked for a new contract twice and didn't get one and even he recognises that it would cost us at least €50m to replace him, NOT he's worth €50m. He know's he's only being offered because we don't want to have to shop for more than one CM this summer.

He's leaving though, for sure, you wouldn't come out with that nonsense if you weren't ready to burn your bridges. Big summer ahead folks! We may have to sell someone to fund it now though...
I hope you are right because i don't want to see this lanky poodle in my team again. He can feck right off for all i care.

RedDevil@84

I think Jose clarified in the embargoed part of press conference that it is not true that Fellaini was not given an offer any earlier, but the delay is on Fellaini part because he didn't think offer was good enough. Jose also said that the offer which is now on table is far better than what he was given 6 or 8 months back.
Don't really think we ll come up with another offer, if that is what he is fishing for.

Not that I think we should offer him anything at all. But, at least doesn't seem to be club bowing to Fellaini's unrealistic demands because of Jose's love.

An Irish Red

He's an average player that's incredibly lucky to even be at a club of this size. He should be moved on at the end of the season.

Also, with his completely delusional sense of self importance it's no surprise that he got on so well with David Moyes.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Statement of intent from Jose, playing someone who's just ripped the club. Obviously really really wants to keep him.

Ciddy

If you don’t play ‘long ball’ to him I fail to see what he offers at all. Not just him but there are simply too many average players in this squad.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Yeah, boggles the mind, and it’s symptomatic if everything that’s wrong with the club at the moment.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
We need better players. Simple as that. Nothing against Fellaini, but he's simply not good enough. Any attempts to keep him show a massive lack of ambition.

Roboc7

Hopefully there is still time to shred the contract, he was absolutely useless and as Neville said in commentary he offers virtually nothing as a midfielder.

We have seen over five years he isn’t good enough and that’s not going to change. Fact he is holding us to ransom is hilarious and sums up why we are so far behind city.

Hephaestus

Shouldn't even consider giving him a new deal let alone begging him to stay. He's appalling in almost every respect and his mere presence makes everything worse.

davidmichael

I’d take all of McTominay, Pereira and Fosu-Mensah over Fellaini and tonight was yet ANOTHER example of why he should be let go at the end of the season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Has any other United player ever been given the chance to put in as many terrible performances as this guy?

I mean not only that, but he's actually been systematic in two managers getting sacked...I've lost count of the number of times he's let the team down by being either a childish or clumsy idiot.

I mean he does things that a Ronaldo or Messi type player couldn't do without getting caned by their own fans (for example, coming on against your main rivals and headbutting one of their players, spending entire games out of position just because he doesn't want to play there, etc), yet he is actually astonishingly useless at nearly everything. He is not even a John O'Shea.

And after 5 years we're still trying to play him in central midfield. He hasn't once played well there. It's been 5 years

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Has any other United player ever been given the chance to put in as many terrible performances as this guy?

I mean not only that, but he's actually been systematic in two managers getting sacked...I've lost count of the number of times he's let the team down by being either a childish or clumsy idiot.

I mean he does things that a Ronaldo or Messi type player couldn't do without getting caned by their own fans (for example, coming on against your main rivals and headbutting one of their players, spending entire games out of position just because he doesn't want to play there, etc), yet he is actually astonishingly useless at nearly everything. He is not even a John O'Shea.

And after 5 years we're still trying to play him in central midfield. He hasn't once played well there. It's been 5 years
100% this. And yet our manager publicly begs him to sign a contract extension. It’s just crazy.

Fellaini would have been the perfect signing for big Sam when he was West Ham boss. Fellaini playing off of Andy Carroll would have been Allardyce’s wet dream. That’s Fellaini’s level.

Decomposing In Paris

**Conspiracy Theory Incoming**

Jose likes Fellaini, in fact, he's a nice guy and a good professional. However, Jose doesn't see him as a starter next season, and Fellaini wants more than a squad role. They come to a gentlemans agreement that Fellaini will leave on a free, and Mourinho will say it's against his wishes. This gives Fellaini a good reference for his next club, and strengths Jose's hand when asking for transfer funds.

Bestietom

Let him off we don't want to see Hoofing the ball, we want to see us play proper football and Fellaini can't do this.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
**Conspiracy Theory Incoming**

Jose likes Fellaini, in fact, he's a nice guy and a good professional. However, Jose doesn't see him as a starter next season, and Fellaini wants more than a squad role. They come to a gentlemans agreement that Fellaini will leave on a free, and Mourinho will say it's against his wishes. This gives Fellaini a good reference for his next club, and strengths Jose's hand when asking for transfer funds.
I wish this were true!:lol:

I fear though that the manager is enamoured of him.:(

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
100% this. And yet our manager publicly begs him to sign a contract extension. It’s just crazy.

Fellaini would have been the perfect signing for big Sam when he was West Ham boss. Fellaini playing off of Andy Carroll would have been Allardyce’s wet dream. That’s Fellaini’s level.
It's embarrassing. And people want to give the manager the power to get more players in. Wouldn't give him a penny more as it shows his judgment is super flawed.

SteveW

Jose genuinely seems too clueless to understand this guy's capabilities. Which is crazy considering how much he's won as a manager.

Fellaini's only use is as a number 10. That's it. Jose actually tried to play this guy as a deep lying passing midfielder last night. Let that sink in.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

Not only that, he has publicly said that if Fellaini leaves, we need another midfielder. IF Fellaini leaves. So not only does he see him primarily as a midfielder, but as one that's good enough for the level we are trying to get to, and one he needs to rely on...which is a paradox as we will never get to that level if we are relying on players like Fellaini in midfield.

The performance of our entire team noticably suffers whenever he is in midfield. We have a glass ceiling with him there, because there are basic things he just isn't capable of doing on either a good or bad day...and they are things that someone in that position needs to be able to do (for example, passing, not being 50 yards out of position for the entire game).

When he's played up top as someone to get on the end of crosses, it's different, but there is no position in a succesful team for someone to literally just get on the end of crosses and that's it. At best it's a bit part role in games where the opposition is sitting back and you're strugging to break them down.

five or six goals a year doesn't compensate for the team having to carry you in every other aspect, every time you play. Especially not when half the time you wont even stay in your position and at least give them a chance to do that. You need to be getting 30+ goals a year to justify this.

Some of the criticism I aimed at Pogba RE: positional discipline, playing as a functioning part of the team, etc. actually applies just the same to Fellaini. He's just as culpable of not doing it. He goes and stands near the corner of the area, doing absolutely feck all, leaving the team with a big gaping hole in the middle of it. He'll do it not in moments, but for an entire fecking half of football. He did it against Seville in the first half. He's done it at Stamford Bridge before. When he has clearly been picked to do a MIDFIELD job.

I really do actually hate him. Not in a personal sense, but as a footballer. He has no redeeming qualities. Sometimes a player is useless but works hard for the team. Or is selfish and lazy but has outstanding ability. Or is Darmian and you just feel sorry for them because they at least try to stick to their task, despite being the world's most useless man. Fellaini just doesn't really seem to do anything except what he wants to. He has no sense of responsibility. He'll clearly headbutt a player, leaving his team in a massive hole, and then after the game, claim he was only sent off because he is Fellaini...so you instantly know that next time he feels like headbutting someone, in a situation that will cost the entire team, he is just going to do it, because in his mind it isn't his fault when he gets sent off for it.

I would pay him money to go away.

Last edited:

AndyJ1985

Thank feck Fellaini wants to leave; he's doing us a favour. Can't believe we have a manager of Manchester United who is desperate for a player of that quality to stay.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I get that he offers something different, that he's a professional and replacing a player leaving on a free dents our budget further. I just think he's an absolute passenger when it comes to any sort of build up unless he's used as a target man. He would probably help us save some results next season or even come up with a winner here and there, but to have another midfielder instead, like his countryman Dembele who surely can't be going for too much money now he's 31 would make our squad so much better.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
I'd go as far to say that Mourinho renewing his contract now would be a worse decision than Moyes' decision to sign him in the first place.

He's now 30, proven he isn't good enough for a United shirt, not desperate to be at United and would be on better money.