Jose Mourinho expected to have Man Utd contract renewal talks in November

DannyDee

There are plenty of managers in world football with a resume that can be considered equal or better than Mourinho's in recent years. Zidane, Guardiola, Conté, Ancelotti, Simeone to name a couple.
I'd say the only active manager to have a comparable Resume over the last 15 years is Ancelotti. Especially in the sense he has improved multiple clubs to a high level (most notably 1st stint at Chelsea, Porto and Inter). Now, if you heavily weight recent accomplishments, which remove his tenure first tenure at Chelsea and his stint at Porto, it's not as impressive as some of the guys you've listed. Guardiola really only improved and developed Barca, he kept Bayern at a similar level but inherited a Treble winning team. Simone really only has Atletico, and Zidane's resume is great for 2 and 1/2 years, but he inherited a ridiculous squad. Conte has a very good track record though but isn't quite as proven as Mourinho.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
There are plenty of managers in world football with a resume that can be considered equal or better than Mourinho's in recent years. Zidane, Guardiola, Conté, Ancelotti, Simeone to name a couple.
No, there aren't.

Mourinho has won nearly as many leagues as Zidane, Conte, Ancelotti and Simeone combined. Almost as many cups, too (though Ancelotti has a good cup record). Pep is the only manager comparable but Mourinho wins out as he's done it in more countries with worse teams.

DazT

Great news if true. I hope Jose stays for the long haul and can build a dominant team. Despite all the media rubbish about Jose, I believe the future is bright with him in charge.

RooneyLegend

To give everyone some sense of certainy and just focus on football ?
He still has another season after this one. This is the job he's wanted all along, he isn't going to up and leave no matter who calls.
Why not, not wait until the end?

Best manager in the world. He took us from the gutters and complete disarray to competing, having an actual identity again, a new backbone/core, no more revolving doors in numerous positions in just 1 year. Imagine what he'll do over the next few years and where United will be then.

No brainer lol...and nothing to do with 'season is fresh'. José is our guy and sometimes it's nice to award a manager stability sooner rather than later showing him he knows he's backed with the clubs confidence in him.
Lets see how he does for this season. We haven't completely seen where this team is. He's backed and he already knows it, heck, he knows he's running the show on the football side of things.

dmode

I think that at this level everything is already sorted out between SAF and Jose.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No, there aren't.

Mourinho has won nearly as many leagues as Zidane, Conte, Ancelotti and Simeone combined. Almost as many cups, too (though Ancelotti has a good cup record). Pep is the only manager comparable but Mourinho wins out as he's done it in more countries with worse teams.
I've got to agree, winning the Treble with Inter cemented him as one of the best managers in the modern game. If he stays with us for a bit longer than usual while winning the league and CL say 5+ years then he will be among the GOAT.

No other manager in the world would be portrayed as underwhelming for winning a cup double in his first season.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Not yet he hasn't. We finished 6th last year and won a couple of minor cups. We had finished higher in the league under LVG and won a cup too. Hardly the 'from gutters to the top' story you're almost describing there.

He achieved his target of getting us to the CL, which is very good. But this season he has to make a challenge for the league and reach the CL quarter finals before I say we're a genuinely competitive team.

When he does that I'd gladly hand him an extension but he hasn't done yet so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
He's the first ever United manager to win a trophy in his first season, and you can make that 3 of them.

With a overly bizarre injury riddled squad and not so ideal player situations (Rooney etc), he definitely made the most out of what he had to work with and imo exceeded expectations.

We didn't "finish" 6th btw. José elected not to prioritize the league and took the route of Europa League instead to make CL. 2 very different things. And gutters to top not in terms of standings obviously but in terms of identity and reviving the stinking old place, giving a foundation to work with which is more than anyone did post Sir Alex and clearly was a huge task if it took this long to get done. And again he did it in 1 season, virtually doing a complete 180 with the club atmosphere and future for the better.

...and we're still a club in transition. Remember, this was a rebuild which has remarkably been sped up due to José's geniusness. Honestly speaking we shouldn't be in the position we are right now with the team. José is the reason why Pogba chose United over RM/Barca/Juve and that itself is a huge plus; having a manager with the pull he does to attract such players. Just look at the things ADM said and how no big target wanted to come anywhere close to United. José is a players coach and it's great having a bench boss who the players genuinely want to play and will give it their all for. CL has already been achieved from last year so this year I think it's safe to say top3 in EPL is his target. You can only do so much in the CL with a transitioning squad so I'd say just making it out of group stage is enough and what happens after that is just a bonus. The team isn't a finished product yet so yea. And José isn't some rookie manager who has to be monitored year by year. Already saw what he's done and is capable of. I'm sure the club isn't worried one bit in that sense and Mourinho said himself he's at a stage in his career where contract or no contract doesn't matter or really effect him as he's going to do what he's going to do regardless.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
No, there aren't.

Zidane has a better resume, been head coach for 2 years and won 7 trophies including 2 CL trophies and La Liga. Pep his resume is certainly not less than Mourinho's. Ancelotti his resume is also not less than Mourinho's, he has coached in 5 different leagues, won the league title in every competition (usually in his first year) and he has won 3 CL titles. Simeone has won alot less trophies but he has been very good with Atlético always competiing with Real/barca for the league (also won it) and has been involved in the CL semi final and finals in the last years (imo very impressive feat). Conté has been very impressive since he stepped up to top football at Juve, won 3 league titles with them and rejuvenated a sleeping giant, and now he came to Chelsea he won the league in his first year aswell. Mourinho is a great trainer and his palmares certainly fits in with the above mentioned trainers but to outright say he is the world best (at this moment) is not justified imo.

I first need to see him winning the PL with us and competing for the CL final again before I start calling him the world's best. In fact I'am still on the fence for seeing if he is a good trainer for United at all because you know I expect more than 6th place from us and winning the EL is a nice geat but clubs like Sevilla can do that aswell with alot lesser players so I'am not counting that as a major glory for him. Mourinho has got alot to proof and he better delivers this year and you certainly can't label him as the best until he delivers, all else is very premature.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Zidane has a better resume, been head coach for 2 years and won 7 trophies including 2 CL trophies and La Liga
:wenger: What the hell? He really doesn't at all. Especially not considering the squad he has at his disposal, it would be harder to not win anything with his Real Madrid side. Mourinho winning the CL with Porto was almost as unlikely as Leicester winning the Premier League and will go down as one of the greatest managerial feats in modern Champions League history.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
He's the first ever United manager to win a trophy in his first season, and you can make that 3 of them.

With a overly bizarre injury riddled squad and not so ideal player situations (Rooney etc), he definitely made the most out of what he had to work with and imo exceeded expectations.

We didn't "finish" 6th btw. José elected not to prioritize the league and took the route of Europa League instead to make CL. 2 very different things. And gutters to top not in terms of standings obviously but in terms of identity and reviving the stinking old place, giving a foundation to work with which is more than anyone did post Sir Alex and clearly was a huge task if it took this long to get done. And again he did it in 1 season, virtually doing a complete 180 with the club atmosphere and future for the better.

...and we're still a club in transition. Remember, this was a rebuild which has remarkably been sped up due to José's geniusness. Honestly speaking we shouldn't be in the position we are right now with the team. José is the reason why Pogba chose United over RM/Barca/Juve and that itself is a huge plus; having a manager with the pull he does to attract such players. Just look at the things ADM said and how no big target wanted to come anywhere close to United. José is a players coach and it's great having a bench boss who the players genuinely want to play and will give it their all for. CL has already been achieved from last year so this year I think it's safe to say top3 in EPL is his target. You can only do so much in the CL with a transitioning squad so I'd say just making it out of group stage is enough and what happens after that is just a bonus. The team isn't a finished product yet so yea. And José isn't some rookie manager who has to be monitored year by year. Already saw what he's done and is capable of. I'm sure the club isn't worried one bit in that sense and Mourinho said himself he's at a stage in his career where contract or no contract doesn't matter or really effect him as he's going to do what he's going to do regardless.
If you are counting the community shield as a cup than David Moyes also won a cup in his first year as United trainer. Can you see how silly that argument is ?

Ok Mourinho has won the league cup and the EL. League cup is the smallest cherry on the cake you can get in england and if winning it is considered a major feat than Wenger must be one of the world best managers as well. EL was very important for us and it is a big success but we have a budget 20 times bigger than any club we faced in that cup and we just barely made it (Celta nearly knocked us out). The football in general has been poor from his team aswell.

Imo he needs to have us play alot beter and he needs to win the PL and have us compete for the CL trophy again (and he should not be getting 5 years time to do so). Until then he has been nothing more than just a step up from LVG and Moyes which isn't much at all honestly.

Kapardin

Why not, not wait until the end?

Best manager in the world. He took us from the gutters and complete disarray to competing, having an actual identity again, a new backbone/core, no more revolving doors in numerous positions in just 1 year. Imagine what he'll do over the next few years and where United will be then.

No brainer lol...and nothing to do with 'season is fresh'. José is our guy and sometimes it's nice to award a manager stability sooner rather than later showing him he knows he's backed with the clubs confidence in him.
His time at United will be his crowning achievement to an already glittering CV. He's going to be here for awhile, that much I am confident of.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
:wenger: What the hell? He really doesn't at all. Especially not considering the squad he has at his disposal, it would be harder to not win anything with his Real Madrid side. Mourinho winning the CL with Porto was almost as unlikely as Leicester winning the Premier League and will go down as one of the greatest managerial feats in modern Champions League history.
That is bullshit,

Mourinho was also head coach of Madrid, he also had a squad filled with the world best players but he never did what Zidane is doing now.

Also Zidane hasn't signed a single big player for Real, he consolidated what they had, introduced new talent from the academy and just made them a beter team alltogether. He proved to be a great ringmaster of the Madrid circus and his way of managing has made Real the best in the world jumping over the likes of Barca and Bayern by quite some distance. Imo very impressive in his first 2 years, you can hardly do any beter.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
If you are counting the community shield as a cup than David Moyes also won a cup in his first year as United trainer. Can you see how silly that argument is ?
Your invocation of Moyes and the charity shield is the only thing which is silly here.

You don't like Mourinho, that much is evident. But you don't have to manufacture defects in his record which don't actually exist. Ancelotti is a cup manager. Four league titles in a career spanning over two decades. Mourinho has won double that amount (and more cups) in a lesser time period.

Bearing in mind that two of Ancelotti's titles come from France and Germany respectively, where it was nigh on impossible for him not to win the title.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Sure is, right next to being the first team to win it back to back like Zidane did.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
... u wat bruv?
Relatively speaking, you can't really compair 2 year resume versus 15 year resume.

But you can't say that a manager who finished 10th and 6th in the last 2 years is a beter than the guy that won the CL back to back and won the spansih league title in his first 2 years, that is just silly.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Zidane :lol:

Jose has proven time and again that his methods work, in different leagues with different players and different situations. Zidane has won the champions league with the best team in the world.

I'd take Jose over any other manager. He's as close as it gets to a sure thing.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
That is bullshit,
I don't appreciate your tone. It's almost as hostile as your opinion of Jose. You don't like him, that much is evident, but it's clouding your judgement and making you dismiss facts and just making you look bitter and as if you are just after an argument. I'm sure there are plenty that will humour you, so good luck with that.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Your invocation of Moyes and the charity shield is the only thing which is silly here.

You don't like Mourinho, that much is evident. But you don't have to manufacture defects in his record which don't actually exist. Ancelotti is a cup manager. Four league titles in a career spanning over two decades. Mourinho has won double that amount (and more cups) in a lesser time period.

Bearing in mind that two of Ancelotti's titles come from France and Germany respectively, where it was nigh on impossible for him not to win the title.
You said Mourinho is the first United manager to win a cup in his first year and you said he won 3, so you are counting the charity shield. I'am just saying Moyes also won that in his first year as united manager and he was shit.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
You said Mourinho is the first United manager to win a cup in his first year and you said he won 3, so you are counting the charity shield. I'am just saying Moyes also won that in his first year as united manager and he was shit.
I didn't say that, someone else did.

But he's still the first manager of United to win a major cup in his first year (two actually, though personally I always find it hard to credit the league cup, but a domestic/European double ain't bad).

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

Ok Mourinho has won the league cup and the EL. League cup is the smallest cherry on the cake you can get in england and if winning it is considered a major feat than Wenger must be one of the world best managers as well. EL was very important for us and it is a big success but we have a budget 20 times bigger than any club we faced in that cup and we just barely made it (Celta nearly knocked us out). The football in general has been poor from his team aswell.

Imo he needs to have us play alot beter and he needs to win the PL and have us compete for the CL trophy again (and he should not be getting 5 years time to do so). Until then he has been nothing more than just a step up from LVG and Moyes which isn't much at all honestly.
That's actually quite a bit considering he's fixing the mess they left him and managing on the fly as he has to rebuild/transition the team while remaining competitive.

I don't think there's any other manager that could do what he's done and continues to do for United. No CL yet somehow attracts Pogba, Zlatan, and Mikhi who was the German player of the year. No other manager has that sort of pull just unheard of. A point can easily be made José alone has turned this ship around. Btw we are competing for the EPL and CL so don't know what more you could ask of. And 5 years no. He said himself a 3rd summer window was what he projected he'd need but even he's surprised himself at how much the process has been fast forwarded with players already stepping up in big ways.

...pretty baffling in my view how some still aren't sold on JM and want him to work this year to a new contract extension. Just sounds so absurd, foolish, and silly imho but hey that might just be me...

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I don't appreciate your tone. It's almost as hostile as your opinion of Jose. You don't like him, that much is evident, but it's clouding your judgement and making you dismiss facts and just making you look bitter and as if you are just after an argument. I'm sure there are plenty that will humour you, so good luck with that.
So because I don't rate Jose as the best manager in the world my opinion on him is hostile ? And because I don't agree with your argumentation my tone is hostile ?

Which facts am I dismissing exactly ? Because to me it seems like most on here are dismissing the fact he finished 10th and 6th in the PL in the last 2 years and are somehow holding the feat of winning the EL in higher regard as a historic back-to-back win of the CL. Also people seem to take it as gospel that Mourinho will be here for the next 10 years whilst in his entire career has been no longer than 3 years at any club. I got a feeling if discussing Mourinho on the caf it seldom is on the basis of "facts". The thing here is simple, you have to love Mourinho and if you don't you are crucified unless he starts dropping points 3 games in a row and public opinion changes 180 degrees. Couple of months ago there were threads with many discussing if he should be sacked or not and what the minimum achievement should be for him to keep his job, he has achieved that minimum and he has rightly kept his job but now after winning 3 games in a row he is suddenly the best manager in the world again and he will be here for 10 years and if you try to moderate that sentiment somewhat you are considered to be a hostile anti mourinho bitter fan. At times this place is outright weird.

Womp

idiot
A Mourinho is for life, not just Christmas.

And can we have a proper Chosen One banner please to help dissolve the memory of that aberration four years ago?
Chosen one - with a huge picture of Woodward grinning alongside the message.

SirAF

Ageist

Jose has proven time and again that his methods work, in different leagues with different players and different situations. Zidane has won the champions league with the best team in the world.

I'd take Jose over any other manager. He's as close as it gets to a sure thing.
This.

The first thing I thought when he got sacked at Chelsea (when everyone was spouting BS about how he was done) was "Excellent, now we got a chance of getting him finally" :drool:

poacher

I don't see the rush to extend his contract. He's not going anywhere so lets just wait till the end of the season and then reward him depending on this seasons performance. I like him as manager but lets revisit this after the season.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I didn't say that, someone else did.

But he's still the first manager of United to win a major cup in his first year (two actually, though personally I always find it hard to credit the league cup, but a domestic/European double ain't bad).
I 100% agree but not bad doesn't make it an achievement that warrants the title best in the world. I'd say Conté winning the PL in his first year is also not bad but nobody is regarding him as the best in the world.

I agree Mourinho is a very good trainer, I'am just advocating the sentiment about him on here is at times a bit over the top. He still finished 6th in the league which is the most important competition to measure performance. Let us wait until he brings success in the league before labeling him as the best manager ever after SAF, that is all I'am saying.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Relatively speaking, you can't really compair 2 year resume versus 15 year resume.

But you can't say that a manager who finished 10th and 6th in the last 2 years is a beter than the guy that won the CL back to back and won the spansih league title in his first 2 years, that is just silly.
No you can't. You cant compare a manager who has managed for two seasons at a club stuffed with world class players and struggled while managing Castilla with one who has proven himself again and again in sevreal different leagues with vastly altering degrees of quality in his squad. That's silly. Or are you telling me Zidane would have fared significantly better than Jose has?

Kapardin

I agree Mourinho is a very good trainer, I'am just advocating the sentiment about him on here is at times a bit over the top. He still finished 6th in the league which is the most important competition to measure performance. Let us wait until he brings success in the league before labeling him as the best manager ever after SAF, that is all I'am saying.
Purely in terms of CV, he is the best manager in the world. He's just not the most successful one right now.

Those who are underrating his first season with us likely have no idea how it would have been had we hired someone else. If it had been Pep, or Klopp, we would have finished 6th with no trophies in all likelihood. Moyes and LvG left a huge mess.

Jose made mistakes ofc, but overall, his management was spot on.

DannyDee

That is bullshit,

Mourinho was also head coach of Madrid, he also had a squad filled with the world best players but he never did what Zidane is doing now.

Also Zidane hasn't signed a single big player for Real, he consolidated what they had, introduced new talent from the academy and just made them a beter team alltogether. He proved to be a great ringmaster of the Madrid circus and his way of managing has made Real the best in the world jumping over the likes of Barca and Bayern by quite some distance. Imo very impressive in his first 2 years, you can hardly do any beter.
Ancelotti won the CL basically 7 months before he arrived. It was more than the incompetence of the Fat Spanish Waiter.

2 man midfield

This.

The first thing I thought when he got sacked at Chelsea (when everyone was spouting BS about how he was done) was "Excellent, now we got a chance of getting him finally" :drool:
Same here. I actually really wanted him to be sacked because I thought we'd snap him up as soon as. I was 6 months out though, I thought LVG was a goner around Christmas time.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
No you can't. You cant compare a manager who has managed for two seasons at a club stuffed with world class players and struggled while managing Castilla with one who has proven himself again and again in sevreal different leagues with vastly altering degrees of quality in his squad. That's silly. Or are you telling me Zidane would have fared significantly better than Jose has?
Well I can't compare so I can't say, I just think Zidane has done great work at Madrid and I'am very impressed and he could go on to have a big managerial career and possibly turn out beter than Mourinho but it is too early to tell now.

Mourinho was also coach of Real, Zidane did a beter job in that function than Mourinho did, the players they had were very comparable aswell.

2 man midfield

Well I can't compare so I can't say, I just think Zidane has done great work at Madrid and I'am very impressed and he could go on to have a big managerial career and possibly turn out beter than Mourinho but it is too early to tell now.

Mourinho was also coach of Real, Zidane did a beter job in that function than Mourinho did, the players they had were very comparable aswell.
The thing Mourinho has on his side is his stints at Porto and Inter, especially the former. Zidane and Pep will always have that question mark over them, can they win with a club where it isn't already a habit. That Jose continued to do so at Madrid isn't really impressive, which is why people aren't going overboard with praise for Zidane, and why many are questioning whether Pep was all that good in the first place.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Have to disagree with you here. Zidane has been incredible for Madrid, but he's been great in an era when Barca are on the down. Mourinho had to win La Liga against the most dominant club side in the history of the modern game. I take nothing away from Zidane as I think he could go on to be one of the all time great managers (I've admired his squad management since he took the job, prioritizing the likes of Casemiro and Asensio).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

The competition wasn't though. Mourinho was up against a Barcelona that was arguably the greatest team of all time. And he still won a league in one of those three seasons he had with them, the only time 'that' Barcelona side didn't win the league during the 09-13 period when they were at their peak. Whereas Zidane is going up against a Barcelona team that is significantly weaker - obviously still a good team but only a shadow compared to what they were.

Zidane has certainly done a great job so far, but it's too early to start talking about him being the best manager in the world.

SirAF

Ageist
Same here. I actually really wanted him to be sacked because I thought we'd snap him up as soon as. I was 6 months out though, I thought LVG was a goner around Christmas time.
Yeah, me too.

In hindsight, perhaps it was a good thing that Mourinho got about six months off to reflect and prepare for United.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I can see him being snapped away by PSG next season, for some reason.