Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

wangyu

Winner of conference league 2022
Winner of Europa league 2023 possibly, though he has to get past sevilla…

croadyman

Fair play they showed bottle when it looked like going out of Europa League,hope they win it now for Smalling & Matic

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
With all the respect for Jose and I want him to win the Europa but (unless you're trolling) you're idolising Mourinho a bit. United were right to sack him when they did and so were Chelsea back in 2015, it just turned toxic which often happens with Jose after couple of seasons. And there's a reason he's managing Roma these days and not likes of Real Madrid like in the past. He could make a comeback at the very top, we don't know it, but let's not act like he hasn't been on a decline for years now.
Yes and the reason for this is horrible PR from picking some of the most toxic and impossible jobs.

Also, this step down means zilch, Ancelotti was managing Everton not that long ago. Give the man the support and he will deliver - always has and always will.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes and the reason for this is horrible PR from picking some of the most toxic and impossible jobs.

Also, this step down means zilch, Ancelotti was managing Everton not that long ago. Give the man the support and he will deliver - always has and always will.
Bollox. He had plenty of support at United and all he delivered was toxicity and horrible football. Likewise his last stint at Chelsea.

Also. Look at the Serie A table. What is he delivering for Roma in their league campaign?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The GOAT is back!!!!!

Getting the best out of Dybala despite his injury struggles. Just like he got the best out of Kane. Man knows how to galvanize forwards. Has revived the career of El Shaarawy and Spinazzola after the big injury. Turned local lads Pellegrini, Cristante(still bang average he is) and especially Mancini into responsible leaders and definite starters. Brought through youngsters like Zalewski, Ibanez and Kumbulla. The supporters absolutely adore him.

He broke their trophy drought and made them winners. Made the home stadium into a bit of a fortress.

Jose Mourinho would have won that final for Spurs if Levy didn't sack him right before the final. Serial winner.

He's doing an absolutely splendid job in Roma. If you give him total authority and control which managers like Pep and Klopp get at their clubs, he'll give you the results. If you side with clowns like Pogba and Martial, you'll get zilch as a club. It's that simple.

There's a reason why this guy is proven right most of the time. Look at Dele Alli now.
GOAT :lol:

Maybe goat balls or goat shit.

Last edited:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I hope we get a Roma-Sevilla final.

20 years ago he led his Porto team to glory in this competition (despite the different name and format), which was built on half the budget compared to their opponents in the final Martin O'Neill's Celtic team (even before we consider what happened in the Champions League the following season that was an outstanding achievement in its own right). It would be pretty cool if he was to win it with Roma 20 years later, and it would be interesting to see how his team did against the competition kingpins Sevilla.

Eddy_JukeZ

He didn't deliver at United.

And before you bring up the 2 trophies, he wasn't brought in to win the Europa League and League cup.

He failed here. Spectacularly.

KeanoMagicHat

He got sacked in shame from 3 Premier League jobs in a row.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He is still 14 points away of doing better than his predecessor though. Although Roma improved the xGA, they got worse in the xG and had won a lot of games where players quality made the real difference.

Not saying JM cannot go back to the top, but for that to happen it would be necessary to have a squad that would get into his mindset, and a lot of nowadays players won't accept an extremely authoritarian figure as he is, and the bellicose mindset he tries to instill.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm far from a José fan but credit where it's due. He's done brilliantly with Dybala.

When I was watching Juventus from 2020-22, he looked done for both seasons. I thought he was finished. Watching him for Roma this season and I think it's the best I've ever seen him play.

Too bad his body can't handle it for long. If he weren't so prone to injuries, I think his current form would've attracted some of the bigger clubs attention he's been that impressive.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Bollox. He had plenty of support at United and all he delivered was toxicity and horrible football. Likewise his last stint at Chelsea.

Also. Look at the Serie A table. What is he delivering for Roma in their league campaign?
My view is that the support he was given at United is not enough to challenge for the top honors in the modern era. I think that the only real blemish (result-wise) in the first two seasons is the CL exit to Sevilla and I absolutely do not think he was properly backed between seasons 2 and 3.

For Roma, he is delivering a CL spot + another excellent European run, which was in line with their preseason expectations.

Or you think that Pep/Klopp/Tuchel/whoever could win La Liga with Betis?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
My view is that the support he was given at United is not enough to challenge for the top honors in the modern era. I think that the only real blemish (result-wise) in the first two seasons is the CL exit to Sevilla and I absolutely do not think he was properly backed between seasons 2 and 3.

For Roma, he is delivering a CL spot + another excellent European run, which was in line with their preseason expectations.

Mouriniho signed Bailly who was shite and then Lindelof who was shite and then moans in his final Summer that he wasn’t backed for a CB. He didn’t get the best out of our current players and he was fully backed but didn’t get the best out of our new signings. He was a toxic disaster.

redcucumber

He spent an absolute feck load and bought utter dross that we are still burdened with.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Mouriniho signed Bailly who was shite and then Lindelof who was shite and then moans in his final Summer that he wasn’t backed for a CB. He didn’t get the best out of our current players and he was fully backed but didn’t get the best out of our new signings. He was a toxic disaster.
And yet he was expected to compete with a guy who inherited Aguero, KDB, Silva etc and was allowed to quickly replace his own transfer flops.

His transfer record is hit and miss, as is with most managers, but in order to push on after the second season, he should have been additionally backed.

I do not see how he could have achieved more in the first two seasons (bar second season's CL run).

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
We don't know if he was really behind the transfers, that's why talking about managers and buying players it's weird, only on some specific cases that we have more info about we know if it was the club or the manager.
Occam's razor says that given that Utd generally has been buying badly for the last 10 years or so then there is a cause that isn't tied to Mourinho...

He won some titles in the first year (turns out winning the Europa League is not so easy, now is it?) and got a second place in the 2nd year (realistically did anyone expect that United team to challenge City???) and Mourinho didn't feel backed by the transfer policy after that. Was he right? We don't know because we don't know what happened behind the scenes.
Regardless of what he wanted or not he was correct that the team needed other players, would it be worse to spend money on the players he wanted instead of the expensive but bad players you bought in the meantime?
There isn't a right answer to this because we can't predict different outcomes but I think imho he gets too much hate for his sporting merits at United. Yes he is a bitter man when things don't go his way, everybody knew it, yet others like Conte get a funny pass when they do it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Happens all the time.

I don't know how any ManUtd fan can back this cnut.
Why not? He is our most (and only?) successful manager in post Fergie era.

Did he deserved sack? Of course he did. But hate that he gets here is mind blowing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why not? He is our most (and only?) successful manager in post Fergie era.

Did he deserved sack? Of course he did. But hate that he gets here is mind blowing.
He gets the hate for a reason because he was a toxic and pathetic cnut who downed tools.

Lecland07

Would not surprise me if he wins the Europa League. I thought they might at the start of the season.

Just too good at winning cups. Tottenham were nuts to sack him just before a final.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I new his acolytes would come out of the woodworks
Never liked him, never will like him. His teams play shit football and they've always played shit football. He has a formula that works for a couple of years then it stops working and all you're left with is the shit football. So then he has to move on.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He didn't deliver at United.

And before you bring up the 2 trophies, he wasn't brought in to win the Europa League and League cup.

He failed here. Spectacularly.
To be fair, although sacking him was 100% correct decision, and absolutely necessarily, he is still our most successful manager during post Fergie era.

Under 2.5 seasons:
- 2nd in PL
- League cup champion
- Europa league champion

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Sacking him was the right choice. We played some amazing football on the first half of the second season, but then the team got jaded due to little rotation and things went downhill from there.

He shouldn't had started the 3rd season because it was rumoured he openly said to some players that if it was him deciding, they wouldn't be part of next season squad (Shaw, Pogba, etc).
Also, loosing José Morais from his technical team was a huge blow he probably never fully repaired in terms of training quality. Morais was an amazing tactical analyst

Jose Morais was next up and he covered ‘Team Analysis’. His task was a complex one – analyze games and answer all the demands for the manager. He did not mind sharing that Mourinho was a hard man to work for, because he constantly focuses on small details.

Team Analysis
He breaks a game down by focusing on the ‘Offensive’ and ‘Defensive’ organization of a team. Offensively, Morais looks at the following:

– Style of play
– Change of rhythm and direction
– Game orientation (What is their focus in getting the ball?)
– Do they have talented players who can cause problems?

Defensive organization focuses on shape, marking patterns, and breaking the team into sections e.g. Do attacking players pressure the ball immediately after losing it? The attention to detail in these reports was always of the highest degree because that is the base of how you prepare for a match, Morais explained.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Napoli's winning the league though....

That said Mourinho has done very well in league this season although Juve getting points back means they could still miss out on top 4.

Think Leverkusen will have bit too much for them in the SF.

autte

Supports
Poggibonsi
Never change Jose. Never change :lol::houllier:
This tweet is missing context. According to Sky, José was pissed because Slot refused to shake hands on the touchline.

What exactly is disrespectful? Is he supposed to pretend he likes Roma’s playing style ?
Last year, before the Conference League final, he said "Roma only play long balls, we know what to expect". He's been talking a bit too much.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
This tweet is missing context. According to Sky, José was pissed because Slot refused to shake hands on the touchline.

Last year, before the Conference League final, he said "Roma only play long balls, we know what to expect". He's been talking a bit too much.
As a typical arrogant Dutchman who thinks that football was invented in the Netherlands haha.. i am totally on Joses side here Slot got what he deserves haha

Real Name

It's just too bad in this thread you can't talk about him without posters bringing to acolytes up and the stuff. Let bygones be bygones.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Mourinho never lost his ability. It's his mentality that caused him the problems.

He went from the special one to the bitter deluded one. Seems like he was utterly joyless after leaving Real Madrid. Never been the same.

If the happy version of Mourinho returns, he'd still be a world class manager.

Rojofiam

Mourinho never lost his ability. It's his mentality that caused him the problems.

He went from the special one to the bitter deluded one. Seems like he was utterly joyless after leaving Real Madrid. Never been the same.

If the happy version of Mourinho returns, he'd still be a world class manager.
If he took some time away from football and reinvented himself, then maybe. However, I think we all know he's way too stubborn for that.

As things stand, the game has left him behind.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I hope we get a Roma-Sevilla final.

20 years ago he led his Porto team to glory in this competition (despite the different name and format), which was built on half the budget compared to their opponents in the final Martin O'Neill's Celtic team (even before we consider what happened in the Champions League the following season that was an outstanding achievement in its own right). It would be pretty cool if he was to win it with Roma 20 years later, and it would be interesting to see how his team did against the competition kingpins Sevilla.
The budget argument is a strange one seeing the squad they had and what they were sold for or valued at.

Vitor Baia
Deco
Ferraria
Maniche
Carvalho
Derlei
Postiga
Costinha

A few names off the top of my head. Celtic reaching that final was a bigger achievement.

Can't take it away from him though, that and the following year were great successes.

A bit of a yesterday man Jose and despite his ending with us, would still be funny to see him win the EL.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The budget argument is a strange one seeing the squad they had and what they were sold for or valued at.

Vitor Baia
Deco
Ferraria
Maniche
Carvalho
Derlei
Postiga
Costinha

A few names off the top of my head. Celtic reaching that final was a bigger achievement.

Can't take it away from him though, that and the following year were great successes.

A bit of a yesterday man Jose and despite his ending with us, would still be funny to see him win the EL.
I think judging those players in 2002/2003 with the benefit of hindsight and how their careers eventually panned out doesn't really work. Many of them were not big names at all at the time - I doubt Ferreira, Maniche, Carvalho, Derlei, Postiga were particularly well known names outside Portugal / within football before that season and in some cases even before that final.

Carvalho had just turned 25 but was still uncapped for Portugal at the time of that final (and I'm not sure if he was a regular starter for much of the previous 2001/2002 season), Maniche also 25 years old had been let go by Benfica and had only recently made his debut for Portugal, Ferreira had been signed from Vitoria Setubal and had appeared a few friendlies for Portugal that season and that was only his 2nd season playing in the Portuguese top flight , Derlei was an incredibly cheap signing from Leiria where he had previously worked with Mourinho, Postiga was still a young prodigy and made his first start for Portugal in a friendly the following month etc. I'd say that the likes of Larsson (though a huge bargain signing himself, who had scored in big European games, Old Firm matches and major international tournaments), Lambert a previous CL winner with Dortmund, Sutton (a former Premier League winner and expensive signing) were bigger names than many of the players in the Porto team. And Deco already at Porto before Mourinho (a very talented player but not considered to a world class superstar at the time) became more consistent and productive under him.

5-6 players that Celtic had already signed during Martin O'Neill's time cost more than any of Porto's signings during Mourinho's time - they paid about twice as much for Momo Sylla as Porto paid for Derlei. Celtic also had a noticeably higher wage bill than Porto at the time of that final and throughout that period in general - that period was the peak era for spending by Old Firm clubs. I think that money was tight for Porto due to the building of their new stadium ahead of Euro 2004, and the value of player sales exceeded the value of player purchases during his time there. Even if Porto hadn't won the Champions League the following season and had lost to Utd in the round of 16, Lyon in the quarter-finals (though they wn that tie comfortably), winning the UEFA Cup alone (in terms of continental silverware) still would have been a very big deal IMO.