Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

JagUTD

I’m happy for him he’s made it to a a European final (same with Moyes, and the ex United players at Inter) and I hope he wins it, as he is still an all time great, but let’s not pretend he’s doing amazing.

Roma have completely capitulated in the league this season and taken 3 points from their last 15. That’s not the sign of a manager still at the peak of his powers.

The “took the wrong jobs” argument is weak as well, he had a full on meltdown at Chelsea with the same team he won the league with. He was heavily backed at United and managed to lose the dressing room through his archaic methods.There were worrying signs also at Real of his being out of date towards the end.
Yeh, they've fallen short at the death in the league unless something crazy happens in the last 3 games. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's a conscious decision similar to when he won the Europa with United but basically gave up in the league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Regarding Madrid, he reached three Champions League semi finals with them and went out to a prime Messi dribbling past half his team, Bayern on penalties and Dortmund, which admittedly was disappointing.
Tbf he had a lot to do with Messi running 50 yards straight and unchallenged, being taken to penalties by Bayern, and the civil war that ruined his last season and saw us getting crushed by BvB

HookedOnAPhelan

I like Roma, but I hope he loses the final. But even if he does win, feck it who cares. Still a dinosaur. And a wanker.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Well that's the point.

He hasn't won the CL since 2010 and hasn't made a CL SF since 2014 and I think that's for a reason.

You've used international teams as your main examples which I think we can all agree is another ball game but as far as top clubs go, his market is pretty small in my opinion. Would Real Madrid take him back, maybe? But don't think they are going out of their way to get him.

Do you really think there is a big market for him at the elite clubs?

I'm not saying he's a bad manager but I don't think he's an elite manager anymore but a great fit for Roma.
I do not see where he could go apart from PSG.

Barcelona was always impossible even before Real.

Back at Real? There have been rumours, dont know if they would take him now. They certainly would not have after the United and Spurs fiascos.

City want to emulate Barcelona so that was always impossible.

United have not been acting like a top club since 2006 at least, he should not have taken the job.

I am curious on whether he was ever considered by Bayern although I am guessing not due to PR reasons.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I do not think it is clear at all.

I find it hard why so many people on this forum find it so difficult to see that a manager's results heavily rely on the players they are coaching.

If he did not take the poisoned chalice that is the United job, his reputation would not have taken a hit.

And if he did not hold up a mirror for United, he would not have been so hated here.
You do know he had a terrible season at Chelsea before he even joined United.
He hasn’t competed for a league or CL title since he last won it in 2014/15, that’s a very long time and confirms he is not a top manager any longer.
Yes apart from United he hasn’t been at a top club since but the question is why. Because top clubs haven’t wanted him.

Having said this PSG could actually work as they don’t seem to have any plan how to do well in Europe so they may as well try it out with Mourinho. Of course he would need a tape on his mouth after losses so he doesn’t openly blame Neymar, Mbappe and Co. every time something goes wrong.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Tbf he had a lot to do with Messi running 50 yards straight and unchallenged, being taken to penalties by Bayern, and the civil war that ruined his last season and saw us getting crushed by BvB
The BVB thing I cannot argue with.

Re Messi - yes but still, it was his first season and Messi, Iniesta and Xavi were all the peak of their powers. I think he did reasonably well that season.

And in the second, had Ronaldo and Ramos taken their penalties, he would have gone down as an unquestionable Madrid legend.

That Bayern side were excellent please dont make it out like going to pens with them is a disgrace. Your club did not have the dark magic CL aura back then that it has now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The BVB thing I cannot argue with.

Re Messi - yes but still, it was his first season and Messi, Iniesta and Xavi were all the peak of their powers. I think he did reasonably well that season.
If he doesn't react to the red card the way he did we don't lose our heads and at the very least don't concede the second goal, not like that, and we go to the second leg still in it. Sure I don't blame him for going out that year though, barcelona were better, and he did very well that season

And in the second, had Ronaldo and Ramos taken their penalties, he would have gone down as an unquestionable Madrid legend.
Had he tried to beat Bayern, at home, instead of shutting it down and spending 90 minutes playing for penalties...for me that's inexcusable. We were better than Bayern and Mourinho got thoroughly outcoached by Heynckes across the tie

That Bayern side were excellent please dont make it out like going to pens with them is a disgrace. Your club did not have the dark magic CL aura back then that it has now.
That Bayern side were losers, lost the league to Dortmund, lost the cup 5-2 to Dortmund, and lost the CL final at home to Di Matteo's Chelsea*. They were far from what they became a year later. We were most definitely the better team and should have gone through, but even if not, at least we should have *tried* to beat them

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
If he doesn't react to the red card the way he did we don't lose our heads and at the very least don't concede the second goal, not like that, and we go to the second leg still in it. Sure I don't blame him for going out that year though, barcelona were better, and he did very well that season

Had he tried to beat Bayern, at home, instead of shutting it down and spending 90 minutes playing for penalties...for me that's inexcusable. We were better than Bayern and Mourinho got thoroughly outcoached by Heynckes across the tie

That Bayern side were losers, lost the league to Dortmund, lost the cup 5-2 to Dortmund, and lost the CL final at home to Di Matteo's Chelsea*. They were far from what they became a year later. We were most definitely the better team and should have gone through, but even if not, at least we should have *tried* to beat them
I need to rewatch. Werent Real something like 2:0 up very early on?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

That’s his thing. In 2005 and 2007 CL semis he somehow managed to be even more defensive than Benitez and in 2014 at home he was more defensive than Simeone. He started with 8 defenders against Atletico as if they were prime Brazil and after the game still blamed his only attacking threat Hazard for not defending. And rightly he got knocked out on all three occasions.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I need to rewatch. Werent Real something like 2:0 up very early on?
Yep. 10 minutes in. Then conceded a penalty in like the 25th minute to make it 4-4. Then Mou shut the game down

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Makes me smile to hear he's still shithousing his way to trophies, legend of the game.

Was let down by the board in the summer before his third season here.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Yep. 10 minutes in. Then conceded a penalty in like the 25th minute to make it 4-4. Then Mou shut the game down
Just rewatched the highlights of both games, yeah you are right, he did what he does, shut down at 2:0 and it was not enough. Having said that, it is his footballing philosophy

The reason why I keep posting here is that I feel that the he is being perceived on this board sums up the levels of delusion regarding the club that this forum has reached. Only in this thread, there were several people calling United "a top job". A club with parasite owners that has not been in a title race in ten years after making their legendary manager spend his last years at the helm squeezing the last bits out of a side whose core was formed in the mid 00s and replacing Ronaldo with Valencia, Obertan and a has-been Owen. If United are a top job, then AC Milan are too. Hell, why not Ajax? They have more CLs than United.

Anyway, my view is that Mourinho should have probably taken a hiatus after Madrid, as the experience seemed to have made him bitter, having managed to also fall out at Chelsea in his third season. However, I do not see where this constant denouncing of the effectiveness of his football to be coming from.

Realistically, since Madrid, he was not at clubs that were strong contenders of winning the Champions League. Like all managers, he had his low points and high points in the CL, but I would argue that the former far outweigh the latter and that, in the competition, pragmatism more often than not trumps the sexy stuff that is repeatedly being hailed as the holy grail in this forum. He certainly did not have as many defeats to inferior sides as Pep and Klopp have had. Dortmund, Sevilla.. Cannot think of any others.

Last edited:

Chief123

So glad we got rid of this guy. Such a dinosaur. What a shite way of playing football.

Leverkusen 23 shots 6 on target.
Roma 1 shot 0 on target.

Roma go through with a 0-0.

What a way to play football. :lol:

autte

Supports
Poggibonsi
So glad we got rid of this guy. Such a dinosaur. What a shite way of playing football.

Leverkusen 23 shots 6 on target.
Roma 1 shot 0 on target.

Roma go through with a 0-0.

What a way to play football. :lol:
That's what happens when you're forced to field the same players every 3 days for weeks due to an unprecedented injury crisis. Team was exhausted. Intensity wasn't that high but we still couldn't cope with Bayer's pressing. Pellegrini, Abraham and Belotti (who's been dealing with fractured ribs) couldn't hold a ball to save their lives. Dybala's and El Shaarawy's ability on the ball would've helped us massively.

Roma accumulated a total of 7 xG and 50 shots in the two legs against Feyenoord. Bayer was on the same level. If only we weren't so tired and decimated by injuries, we could've caused them some problems.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Wonder whether Roma fans love him or hate him there. On one hand he brought them instant success with European finals/trophies each year, on the other hand his football has been so uninspiring to watch and basically bored everyone to death.

TheGame

Didn't you say above that you didn't watch the game ? Why are you talking about a game you didn't watch so confidently ?
What are you babbling on about? I was talking to the poster about the context of my post.

Now having watched the highlights, Leverkusen hit the bar and had a couple of other chances which they should have scored from. There weren’t as many clear cut chances aside from that but Roma parked the bus and were lucky to go through considering they offered no attacking threat.

InfiniteBoredom

Wonder whether Roma fans love him or hate him there. On one hand he brought them instant success with European finals/trophies each year, on the other hand his football has been so uninspiring to watch and basically bored everyone to death.
It’s not the case with Roma at all, he defaulted to bus parking in knockout competitions but they’ve generally played very open, attacking football in the league.

And they absolutely adore him there.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
One shot and 28 percent of possession.
Typical Mourinho.
Yet they are in another European final.

Almost like they got the job done. Wish United could have done that this season in Europe.

Real Name

Yet they are in another European final.

Almost like they got the job done. Wish United could have done that this season in Europe.
Yes they are in another final and likely to miss CL in the same time.
Do you wish to have him back?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yes they are in another final and likely to miss CL in the same time.
Do you wish to have him back?
Should they win Europa, which they have a very good chance, they will be in Champions league, regardless of league form. Almost like they have prioritised Europa over the league!

No, I don't want him back, but no one can disrespect his achievements at Roma so far, he's going to be a legend there should he win Europa.

Real Name

Should they win Europa, which they have a very good chance, they will be in Champions league, regardless of league form. Almost like they have prioritised Europa over the league!

No, I don't want him back, but no one can disrespect his achievements at Roma so far, he's going to be a legend there should he win Europa.
He's probably a legend there already, but failed at United.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

This it what it always comes down to with him. Mourinho's football tactics always default to refusal to actually play. It's unworthy of any big club and talented players.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
The thing is Jose is always about Jose but in this case it works for the club also. Roma is a team that needs that elevation, to make the next step. In his 2 seasons there Mourinho prioritized the European competitions over Serie A wich resulted in an average seasons there but brought a success at international level. Yes his style is not a pleasing to the eye but his period is a necessary evil for a team like Roma. Its a great foundation to build on even when he is not there anymore.. rumours are that PSG wants him to be their next coach..

el3mel

What are you babbling on about? I was talking to the poster about the context of my post.

Now having watched the highlights, Leverkusen hit the bar and had a couple of other chances which they should have scored from. There weren’t as many clear cut chances aside from that but Roma parked the bus and were lucky to go through considering they offered no attacking threat.
If you didn't watch the game, you have no business talking about it and saying claims like being lucky or not. You are amusing.

ROFLUTION

He's a moany git who plays unnecessarily defensive, but a trophy for Roma like that would be really big for them.

Although they're considered a big club in Italy, they have actually only won 3-4 trophies of meaning the last 30 years. Serie A (2001) and two coppa italia's + conference league last year

TheGame

If you didn't watch the game, you have no business talking about it and saying claims like being lucky or not. You are amusing.
Just watched the highlights like I said, it doesn't take a scientist to fecking figure out from the stats Roma parked the bus and were lucky. I was having the discussion with the other poster but you need to stick you oar into the conversation.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I can see PSG doing everything they can to get him. 2 solid European campaign from Mourinho back to back is very attractive for them

Siorac

I can see PSG doing everything they can to get him. 2 solid European campaign from Mourinho back to back is very attractive for them
Can't wait for Neymar to play essentially as a wing-back while Marquinhos is hoofing balls in the general direction of Mbappe.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Shithousery v Shithousery in the final. Who is going to shit the most?
Mou will out-shithouse Sevilla.

He coached Lamela and instructed him to wind up United players. He knows his tricks. Roma players will be diving around throughout.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Leverkusen generated 1.1 xG. Their most dangerous shot of the game was worth 0.1 xG. There is luck, and there is stacking the odds. That's what Roma did. In terrible conditions, missing their 2 best attackers, having to play a midfielder at CB, losing Spinazzola after 20 minutes, and with a better ref/VAR(seriously they've been tragic across the EL semifinals) they're playing out the last 30 minutes with a man advantage and bring it home comfortably

el3mel

Just watched the highlights like I said, it doesn't take a scientist to fecking figure out from the stats Roma parked the bus and were lucky. I was having the discussion with the other poster but you need to stick you oar into the conversation.
They are lucky if the opponent were missing chances left, right and center and they were hanging by a thread. They didn't. Do you even know what "lucky" means?

The last sentence is the epitome example of you having nothing to say.

Next time watch the actual full 90 minutes before talking that confidently about a game you only watched a Youtube 5 minutes video about it.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Leverkusen generated 1.1 xG. Their most dangerous shot of the game was worth 0.1 xG. There is luck, and there is stacking the odds. That's what Roma did. In terrible conditions, missing their 2 best attackers, having to play a midfielder at CB, losing Spinazzola after 20 minutes, and with a better ref/VAR(seriously they've been tragic across the EL semifinals) they're playing out the last 30 minutes with a man advantage and bring it home comfortably
Don't apply logic and context here, that's silly :lol: