Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think he'll be top 4 but not title winners, that there'll be no consensus and the debate will rage on for a good while longer. Those who think he's lost it will say he finished x points behind the champions and that you can't possibly win with his dated style, those who think is he is still the man will say mission asccomplished in getting Spurs back into the top 4.

We'll then lurch into the great 3rd season syndrome discussion only there'll be lots of debate whether it really should count as season 3 or season 2 as he took over after 12 matches into his 1st. If he gets sacked next season those who dislike will say it's 3rd season syndrome, those who like him will say it's only his second full season and that 3rd season syndrome is a myth. If he does well next season those who dislike him will say he'll get sacked in 22/23 as that's his 3rd full season, those who like him will say he's now in his 4th.
Top 4 finish is a big success with the resource and wage bill in Spurs. That's why Pochettino is rated highly with the work he has done even without trophy. Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and even Arsenal have higher wage bill than Spurs. You may get lucky in cup competition to go further but in the league it is a lot harder.

Haddock

Top 4 finish is a big success with the resource and wage bill in Spurs. That's why Pochettino is rated highly with the work he has done even without trophy. Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and even Arsenal have higher wage bill than Spurs. You may get lucky in cup competition to go further but in the league it is a lot harder.
No doubt Jose will claim it as his greatest achievement.

James Peril

I like Mourinho deep down, and always will, but I also look forward to his inevitable demise at Tottenham. A smaller club, a challenging chairman and utter, utter dependency on one or two players - it will only end one way with this manager. Abruptly and badly, everyone else will cherish the moment.

Mourinho can say whatever he wants, but it takes very few searches to find comments and interviews from a man that behaves badly, with disrespect to millions of fans, saying things you can never say in public. His downfall and failure at Man Utd was down to him in the end, although he perhaps knew at the time he was not given the time, that he felt he was a dead man walking the last months. In my book he is a quitter, he was behaving this way only because he wanted to get the sack and then more money for not doing any work. In football management, there is nothing more shameful - and it will happen at Spurs as well.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Don't worry Jose, we'll hire you again at some point and unban @haram. You will be welcomed to post on RedCafe again.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Thought this is spot on! Any time Liverpool have any injured players it's injury crisis! But pretty much every top team in the league suffers those injuries, probably even more than them considering they had that period of basically two years without any injuries, but for some reason we only hear how it's them that have injury problems.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So Mou's Spurs who badly lost their first game of the season, have been unbeaten for 11 games since.
He seems happy, highly motivated and has regained his spark and purpose.
His team are now highly invested in his vision and style of management, dare I say, willing to run through walls for him.

Game of the season so far vs Liverpool tonight: I can see him inspiring a dogged and resolute victory. (though a draw would be best for us)

troylocker

I've put money on a 0-0 draw tonight.
The master of 11 men behind the ball will escape this one with a clean sheet as well.
I can see TAA and Robertson feeding Aldeweireld and Lloris with high crosses for 90 minutes like City, Chelsea and Arsenal did....

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Let's be honest he's getting nowhere near the Poch peak of 87 points and 2nd in 16/17 season. This is with SON and Kane in amazing form and LLoris "best keeper in the league." So with it being Mourinho's second season these are best conditions compared to 12-18 months time.

Spurs are low 70s team so more like Spurs 18/19. They can win the league cup or europa though as they match up well to knock out football with how they're playing.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I absolutely hate his football. Can't stand it. Surely the players can't enjoy that?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s way way wayyy too defensive to be title challenger. They just sit back & essentially wait for the opposition to score. They did the same at Palace too.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Funny that they actually created more against Liverpool than against City. Same unwatchable shite of course, but... unlucky almost.

binary bot
His title challenges rest on two or three games a year. Get a result and the players buy-in further to the shit tactics and put up with him longer. Drop points and you risk the wheels coming off. Leicester match is big for them.

Dominos

He’s way way wayyy too defensive to be title challenger. They just sit back & essentially wait for the opposition to score. They did the same at Palace too.
They had 3 golden chances in the 2nd half to be fair.

I think this was a better performance than the one they put in against Chelsea.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They had 3 golden chances in the 2nd half to be fair.

I think this was a better performance than the one they put in against Chelsea.
We played very well - second half we matched them totally and should have been 2 or 3 up but it wasn't to be.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
They weren`t great to watch, and they rarely are, but honestly, considering its Anfield they did okay, most teams are scared to play there and surrender within 40 minutes, at least Spurs made it a game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Almost the perfect display.
But this isn't the mid 2000s anymore I'm afraid Jose. You need more.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Table is insane. We're 12th yet take 7 points from the three spare games we now have and we'd be level on points with the tally Spurs have.

I know OGS tends to choke when he gets Man. United within touching distance of doing anything but really with the fixtures you have over next few weeks you should be above Spurs going into 2021.

Spurs in 7th or 8th by end of the year would put a bit of a different spin on things but I suspect they'll beat Leicester as Rodgers style tends to play into their hands. Wolves away will be much more difficult with their low block and pace on the counter.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That few seconds where you hoped Dier was lying on the floor because of some obviously goal ruling out foul....

Irwin99

If his players keep buying into this (with no toxicity) and he can get another two world class players maybe, I genuinely think he could win the big trophies with Spurs. It won't be pretty but I think he could do it. Spurs could have easily nicked that game in the second half and this is against the best team in the country by a fair distance.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That few seconds where you hoped Dier was lying on the floor because of some obviously goal ruling out foul....
I thought he got blocked a bit. Surprised it wasn't at least debated in VAR booth.

I have to say. I thought Mourinho would change at United, and I was annoyed the club stopped backing him after season 2 (I still think it was fecking idiotic to appoint him only to then not back him for basically wanting to be Mourinho), but in hindsight....

feck me, so happy he’s not our manager. 24% possession? That’s just not football at the top level for anything other than a once in a bluemoon against a Barca 2011. To be a manager’s default against any top side is utterly horrific.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If his players keep buying into this (with no toxicity) and he can get another two world class players maybe, I genuinely think he could win the big trophies with Spurs. It won't be pretty but I think he could do it. Spurs could have easily nicked that game in the second half and this is against the best team in the country by a fair distance.
Not this season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Liverpool had 76% possession and 11 shots on target to your 2. It takes spectacular levels of delusion to watch that game and conclude that Spurs should have finished 2 or 3 up.
They had very very few clear cut chances. We had by FAR the better chances in the game. If you can't see that then frankly I just don't know what to say.

James Peril

He is such a child, obnoxious human-being. I love him deep down, but now I remember why everyone also hate him. Making a fool of himself inself in front of the TV-cameras, now I hope his season goes to shit... because after getting sacked, he will never get a job in England again.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
We had the better chances, you had one flukey goal and a good header at the end. A draw would have been a fair result. You are a great team and by far the favorites to win the title.
No it wouldn't. We were by far the better team in the first half you barely out of your own half. Jones had a chance with a better shot to make it 2-0 before your goal, Salah had couple of chances in each half, Mane should have scored but hit the bar 76% possession to your 24%, 17 shots 11 on target to your 8 and 2 on target and more corners. You only began to start playing out your half more at the start of the second half. I'd say you deserved your goal for the chances your had overall but not enough to win the game or draw.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No it wouldn't. We were by far the better team in the first half you barely out of your own half. Jones had a chance with a better shot to make it 2-0 before your goal, Salah had couple of chances in each half, Mane should have scored but hit the bar 76% possession to your 24%, 17 shots 11 on target to your 8 and 2 on target and more corners. You only began to start playing out your half more at the start of the second half. I'd say you deserved your goal for the chances your had overall but not enough to win the game or draw.
Well we are never going to agree on this are we?