Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I watched the game. Liverpool dominated the game, I don’t need stats to tell me that.

You started making assumptions about me that were completely wrong. I don’t know why you quoted me in the first place.

Aside from the goal, how many times did Spurs hit the target? Of course it’s relevant whether the opposition keeper made a save. :lol:

you’ve just entered the disillusion zone.
Dominated the game how? They had the ball yes, who had the better chances? Allison didn't make the save, I have said, Bergwin hit the post and Kane missed a sitter? You are now resorting to being patronising, even though the majority of people said we have the better chances? I am not for one second saying we out played them.

Paul_Scholes18

Didn't they drew at Fulham? Liverpool home form and away form are drastically different. This was at Anfield, anyone would struggle, Spurs did well overall but it was not enough in the end. But you can't say they were better team, that's just ignoring reality. Maybe if they snatched a winner parked the bus but itis not what happened, did it?
Liverpool started well, but Spurs then took over and should have been ahead. Liverpool could have bounced back, but they did not look like getting the win near the end.

Overall Spurs had the better chances to win the games, but they did not defend well enough in the end and conceded.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Liverpool started well, but Spurs then took over and should have been ahead. Liverpool could have bounced back, but they did not look like getting the win near the end.

Overall Spurs had the better chances to win the games, but they did not defend well enough in the end and conceded.
Totally agree, someone who watched the game, thank you Sir.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
5 at the back and 2 defensive midfielders vs. Leipzig says otherwise though.
So far Amadeus appears correct on this one.

That said, Ole’s side is better at playing from and around the back at least.
During Poch's most successful and entertaining time at Spurs he played 5 at the back, in transition. with 2 strong midfielders. Poch is not an attacking manager, he was position based and on occasion counter attacking giving up position.

Dominated the game how? They had the ball yes, who had the better chances? Allison didn't make the save, I have said, Bergwin hit the post and Kane missed a sitter? You are now resorting to being patronising, even though the majority of people said we have the better chances? I am not for one second saying we out played them.
patronising.

read the first post tonight that you quoted me on.

I addressed all your points, which you didn’t acknowledge, and you made assumptions about me that were flat out incorrect.

Bergwin hit the post, Mane hit the bar. Kane missed a header, Firminho scored a header. Spurs had some good chances. So did Liverpool, and they dominated the game.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
patronising.

read the first post tonight that you quoted me on.

I addressed all your points, which you didn’t acknowledge, and you made assumptions about me that were flat out incorrect.

Bergwin hit the post, Mane hit the bar. Kane missed a header, Firminho scored a header. Spurs had some good chances. So did Liverpool, and they dominated the game.
If Firminho hadn't scored and Kane did, it would be a draw, as the manager you say u support says, its fine margins. I am seeing posts tonight that Jose is done, Spurs fans are rebellious and its all down hill, come on man its BS. Total reactionary BS, against the title favourites.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They had some really good chances tonight but we dominated them on shots, touches, possession, passes, pretty much everything.

When you have so little of the ball you really are relying on your players being perfect when the big chances come, whilst hoping that the defense does its job at the other end.

It's still a race and they're very much in it imo.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
They dominated possession as Spurs wanted them to do but they didn't dominate the game. It was finely balanced as the result demonstrated.

I don't agree with Jose that "the best team lost" though. It was just a very tight contest.
Very close game that could of gone either way, Spurs too passive first half, didnt really come alive until around the 35th minute. Liverpool for all their possession very few clear cut chances though, a few tame shots from Salah and Mane. And lets not forget Salah's goal is totally random. ball could of gone anywhere from that deflection, ended up in lobbing out of the keepers reach into the far corner of the goal. Then Bergwjin and Kane miss golden opportunities and Firmino buries his chance.

Liverpool at the top as to be expected, table starting to exhibit a bit of normality after some crazy early season results. Spurs need 6 points now from the Wolves - Leicester games coming up. Interestingly if Man Utd wins their games in hand they pass Spurs, so much for 'Ole out'.

Eddy_JukeZ

For a while, that was almost peak anti-football Jose Mourinho in that game.

Don't see any how neutral can enjoy watching his teams.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Don't see any how neutral can enjoy watching his teams.
I can't fecking stand it, sacrificing the ball and trying to hit the opponent with a long ball pass might be effective, but feck me is it shit and dull. Having said that, it did almost work today, but the same weakness resurfaces. Gut tells me it's going to get worse for Tottenham in the next few weeks.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Spurs were unlucky not to win tonight.

They have been the best team in the league all season and should of at least got a point tonight.

lsd

The Oracle

They have been the best team in the league all season and should of at least got a point tonight.

Nonsense they have been the worst team to watch by some distance and deserved nothing tonight.

How Spurs fans are happy to watch that utter dross i will never know as when he served up that tripe at United i wanted him out the door.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Nonsense they have been the worst team to watch by some distance and deserved nothing tonight.

How Spurs fans are happy to watch that utter dross i will never know as when he served up that tripe at United i wanted him out the door.
They have been the best team in the league though.... That "boring" team obliterated United 6-1 away.

He has done a great job this season with Spurs.

Chief123

They have been the best team in the league though.... That "boring" team obliterated United 6-1 away.

He has done a great job this season with Spurs.
They aren’t the best team in the league though. Neither statistically or visually.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I can understand Spurs players giving into this type of tactics if it means they win something at the end of the season (though i strongly believe they can't maintain their form all season with this type of tactics), the same goes for the fans (and those who worship Mourinho), but there's no denying that the style of play is absolutely boring for Neutrals and even a lot of Spurs fans.

edcunited1878

They aren’t the best team in the league though. Neither statistically or visually.
Going into match week 13, Spurs were top of the table. They were. Gotta give credit where credit is due to the team and Jose. No need to be bitter, just the facts. It's way too early to tell about any title race, but Liverpool is reigning champions and until someone finishes ahead of them at the end of the season, they are the best team in the league.

Spurs have done well and overachieved a bit, but that's what you get when Kane and Son have been white hot. If they don't keep up the pace, which is likely because it seems to be unsustainable across a full season, then they'll fall back. We all know Jose's way of getting results is very demanding and full of effort, so it's pretty draining. Came out of the gates quickly and they are a competitive side with two top players who are match winners. Bale I guess is a match winner, but he hasn't featured at all this season in the PL. The other forward players are good, but obviously not like Kane or Son.

Spurs will have a good defensive shape about them as they have physical and disciplined players in CB and in CM. Other players have to pick up the burden throughout the season for Spurs to continue to be competitive and have a sniff at the title. Come February, let's see where it's shaking out.

But so far, Jose can't complain much about anything. He's got Kane and Son firing. Every match they've given themselves a good chance to take all 3 points, even if a result has really always been on the edge. That's how he's come to setup his recent teams when they aren't full of top top players at many positions across the pitch. Fine. Results oriented business, he gets it. That's his way.

Grande

Very close game that could of gone either way, Spurs too passive first half, didnt really come alive until around the 35th minute. Liverpool for all their possession very few clear cut chances though, a few tame shots from Salah and Mane. And lets not forget Salah's goal is totally random. ball could of gone anywhere from that deflection, ended up in lobbing out of the keepers reach into the far corner of the goal. Then Bergwjin and Kane miss golden opportunities and Firmino buries his chance.

Liverpool at the top as to be expected, table starting to exhibit a bit of normality after some crazy early season results. Spurs need 6 points now from the Wolves - Leicester games coming up. Interestingly if Man Utd wins their games in hand they pass Spurs, so much for 'Ole out'.
Add to that that the winner comes from Kane marking his man, Kane being pushed in the back to go down and his man comes in behind Alderweireld to make him lose Firmino - should have been a free kick, most times isn’t but just an illustration of how Liverpool are getting the rub of the green, the steel and the men in black a lot in tight games.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
Mourinho's tenure in Spurs has been commendable, but one thing people are forgetting is that you are always going to get the better of the chances when your main motto is counter-attacking. In that case, you are always in a 2v2 or 2V1 or 1V1 situation, so yeah, the quality of chances are always going to be better.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
The best team in any league is the team with the most points, it's how divisions are decided. You can claim best on the eye but finishing first is what counts.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Last 5 league games they've had 14 shots on target, 2.8 shots on target per game. They had a decent start to the league and have gradually become more and more defensive, granted they've had some tricky fixtures lately but they are not the best team in the league. The reaction to this loss over the next few matchdays will show us where they're at this year.

You're very pro Jose though and I assume thats partly due to your nationality so fair enough.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool

Add to that he is the one of the most depressing human beings I have ever heard in front of a microphone and constantly moaning. That said his teams are disciplined and with great talent those types of teams will go far. With not so great talent or just good talent sooner or later the bottom will drop out just like his time at united. Spurs need another pure finisher to really get to or very near the top. They rely way too much on Kane and Son. It’s games like today where he needed another bona fide finisher.

Champagne Football

Jose is really up for the challenge as it could be the last time a top 6 club in England hires him. But watching him implode is pure box office and popcorn out time so fingers crossed ;)

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Weird to criticize Mou after that game. Spurs missed three sitters and should have won the game. Not much a manager can do about that.

I still think they’ll win the league. Liverpool’s jamminess won’t last forever and Spurs are the only other side capable of the consistency to seriously challenge.

I thought he got blocked a bit. Surprised it wasn't at least debated in VAR booth.
Absolutely no chance of that happening after Firmino runs the length of the pitch to celebrate a last minute winner in front of the reopened Kop. The narrative was too perfect.

Last edited:

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I think Spurs still have a very strong chance to win the title, though Liverpool have to be the hottest favourites.

UncleBob

They dominated possession as Spurs wanted them to do but they didn't dominate the game. It was finely balanced as the result demonstrated.

I don't agree with Jose that "the best team lost" though. It was just a very tight contest.
Yes, it was clearly down to tactics for Liverpool to have the ball for 75% of the match, i don't think anyone is going to argue against that.

However, in terms of not dominating the game, not entirely sure what you were watching. Liverpool were consistently getting into good positions and creating chances. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you expect when you defend that deep. Salah's goal was fine margin, obviously a lucky deflection, but that was what, the 4th or 5th time that Liverpool were allowed to shoot from a dangerous position ? They were bound to score if they were allowed to continue to get into those positions, and they did, Tottenham weren't comfortable, by any means.

Tottenham looked better in the second half, and for periods they were actually more aggressive and looking to test Liverpools defence, before reverting back to defend at all costs.

Result wise, it was a very tight contest, performance wise? nah. Mourinho will obviously be angry at Tottenham not taking their chances when they fell to them, just as he can consider himself lucky that they were still in the match at half time with the positions Liverpool were getting into and taking shots from.

GlasgowCeltic

Hope he can hold off the meltdown long enough to push them on again in the next year or so. I think he knows what they lack, and probably knows this relying on two players for all the goals isn’t sustainable, he’ll win them a league if he can find his new Willian imo

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We have as much chance to win it as any of the teams near the top of the table in my opinion. A loss at Anfield doesn't change that.
With how many points? You've already dropped 14 points with barely a third of season gone and that's with Kane and Son fit and firing which is no guarentee after xmas as we saw last year.

Spurs are low 70s team imo and I simply can't see that points haul being enough even this season if Liverpool win majority of their home games.

For Spurs to win I think they need to win 7-8 on the spin like Conte did with Chelsea in 16/17 and get 6-10 points clear. Mourinho very strong in that position but can't remember him ever winning a league title coming from behind, perhaps he did it that year at Inter when they won the treble?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
With how many points? You've already dropped 14 points with barely a third of season gone and that's with Kane and Son fit and firing which is no guarentee after xmas as we saw last year.

Spurs are low 70s team imo and I simply can't see that points haul being enough even this season if Liverpool win majority of their home games.

For Spurs to win I think they need to win 7-8 on the spin like Conte did with Chelsea in 16/17 and get 6-10 points clear. Mourinho very strong in that position but can't remember him ever winning a league title coming from behind, perhaps he did it that year at Inter when they won the treble?
Any club that wins the league needs to do that. What's different about us?