Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
SquishyMcsquish was recently unbanned I think, but perhaps chose not to return on principle :lol:
Yea, he wouldn’t want to come face to face with his past post on here as there is receipt of my brilliance and his ignorance. Whereas, he and many Spurs fan blamed Pochettino, I blamed the lack of quality players in their team and their board. Page 249 of the serious look at Pochettino thread and onwards can see my Nostradamus like effect.

In his defense wanting one thing doesn't automatically mean you want another.

He could have wanted Pochettino out but still not wanted Jose in.
That is true, I will have to parse past post to see if he wanted Mourinho in. He did wanted Pochettino out and didn’t put the correct blame on the players and the board.

Poch left them in this mess? He didnt leave 18 months ago, he left them as a broken club.
Without a summer window his successer was always going to struggle but at least Poch had Kane and Son to (unsuccessfully) mask his deficiencies.
Now Jose has a paper thin squad full of playwrs who checked out prior to his arrival who has to depend on a mediocre defence since his attack has been obliterated by injuries.
We cant write Jose off yet since he hasnt had a chance
:lol: You think Pochettino wanted to go a summer window without spending? He was vocal about the ambition of the club and how they can’t continue to make top four or win champions league on just the back of his brilliance without significant investment.

We still played with zero width and for some reason Lucas can’t buy a game and Sissoko is now a right back.

Any new manager would do better than Poch is CURRENTLY managing. I don’t expect us to reach any CL final soon but certainly we’re so much better than he’s currently making us look with his silly decisions and obvious favouritism to certain players.

Doesn’t matter if we have Ndombele right now because Pochettino’s coaching is leading to us getting dicked by Brighton. We could have Patrick Viera in his prime at CM and would struggle with the current atmosphere at the club. Players don’t want to play for the man any longer.
Enter Jose Mourinho :lol:. Things are still even fresh with new manager bounce thing :lol:. He has still lost more games since his appoint than an unmotivated Pochettino at the end of his cycle. So, not any manager could do better than Poch :lol:

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Even if there’s merit to it, coming from him strikes me as just trying to stick the boot in and go with the grain. How would he know what Spurs were like under a Poch team when he was with mid table Championship Norwich? Has he even faced Spurs under Poch? Mug.
He's been at Norwich for eight years and played against Poch's Spurs twice in 2015/16 in the Premier League. Does he even need to play against Spurs to have an opinion on a playing style when he, like all of us, will have probably seen them in action on the television regularly both under Mourinho and under Pochettino? None of us on the caf or other forums have personally played against Mourinho but we know his playing style.

Greck

Even if there’s merit to it, coming from him strikes me as just trying to stick the boot in and go with the grain. How would he know what Spurs were like under a Poch team when he was with mid table Championship Norwich? Has he even faced Spurs under Poch? Mug.
I think Poch did a very good at Spurs but they had completely lost their way and identity in his last year there. The football was rubbish, they pressed less and the results were mid table.
People just love trying to stick it into Mourinho.
His biggest problems now I don’t even think is what’s going on on the pitch. It’s his whole persona and mentality, it’s just all completely wrong. Defeatist, negative, excuses. I know he’s always had it in him but it’s so bad right now. It’s just very toxic atm and Spurs don’t have many players who stir the pot or bring on that negativity whereas at United there were plenty so it’s all on him right now.
Don't think it's an outrageous diss. It's literally what both managers would say if you asked them to describe their individual styles

Skills

Snitch
You conveniently failed to acknowledge the fact that Jose, whatever your personal views, was and still is our most successful manager since Sir Alex.

Did we finish 2nd in his second season - yes.
Did we finish above Liverpool - yes.
Did we win the Europa League - yes.

At least be honest enough to recognise that.
He was the best of a dreadful, dreadful bunch. And the one who got to spend the most money.

Btw, finishing ahead of Liverpool was the status quo. LvG finished ahead of Liverpool - twice. Mourinho's dreadful tenure is the reason we fell behind them.

the chameleon

He was the best of a dreadful, dreadful bunch. And the one who got to spend the most money.

Btw, finishing ahead of Liverpool was the status quo. LvG finished ahead of Liverpool - twice. Mourinho's dreadful tenure is the reason we fell behind them.
Also, being the best of the dreadful bunch, he took us 3 years backwards. That van gaal squad 2016 should have been built on, instead mourinho overhauled van gaal’s work. I can never forgive the toxic one. I always was against him coming in and continue to so be against his style of management.

Ludens the Red

He's been at Norwich for eight years and played against Poch's Spurs twice in 2015/16 in the Premier League. Does he even need to play against Spurs to have an opinion on a playing style when he, like all of us, will have probably seen them in action on the television regularly both under Mourinho and under Pochettino? None of us on the caf or other forums have personally played against Mourinho but we know his playing style.
Don't think it's an outrageous diss. It's literally what both managers would say if you asked them to describe their individual styles
Not disputing his point but just think he’s done it to try and take a completely unnecessary dig because it’s “in” to have a go at Mourinhos style.
Why did he choose now to make those comments? Of course you don’t need to play against Mourinho to make this point but his timing of the comments are as if he’s just discovered it by playing against them on Wednesday. Spurs have been shite for well over a year.

Suedesi

Feel bad for Spurs fan. I love a manager with a progressive footballing philosophy. They sold one with one of the most progressive in football for a manager with an outdated reactive one. I would hate that, but I guess their fans would rather win ugly than play beautiful football.

That is also why I am not the biggest fan of Ole or Mourinho despite the positive result they bring. I want to watch football and enjoy the performance we put on the pitch and not ride our luck. Anyway, I m not going to write of Mourinho yet, because this type of philosophy can produce positive result and I won’t be surprised if next season, Mourinho wins a trophy with it.

Would have enjoyed if squishy mcsquishy was still here. Everything he wanted happened and it is failing miserably:lol:. I would have loved seeing him try to move the goalpost :lol:
What happened to squishy? Banned or left on his own?

Skills

Snitch
Feel bad for Spurs fan. I love a manager with a progressive footballing philosophy. They sold one with one of the most progressive in football for a manager with an outdated reactive one. I would hate that, but I guess their fans would rather win ugly than play beautiful football.

That is also why I am not the biggest fan of Ole or Mourinho despite the positive result they bring. I want to watch football and enjoy the performance we put on the pitch and not ride our luck. Anyway, I m not going to write of Mourinho yet, because this type of philosophy can produce positive result and I won’t be surprised if next season, Mourinho wins a trophy with it.

Would have enjoyed if squishy mcsquishy was still here. Everything he wanted happened and it is failing miserably:lol:. I would have loved seeing him try to move the goalpost :lol:
Poch's football wasn't ever particularly beautiful. It was definitely not outdated, but it was quite workman-like. The likes of Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel play much more beautiful football while Poch's a lot more pragmatic compared to them. I'd go as far as saying, as far as the current top managers go Poch's football is more closer to the likes of Simeone & Conte (who also press high and effectively) than the 3 I mentioned.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Also, being the best of the dreadful bunch, he took us 3 years backwards. That van gaal squad 2016 should have been built on, instead mourinho overhauled van gaal’s work. I can never forgive the toxic one. I always was against him coming in and continue to so be against his style of management.
Yeah, for me he was the worst of the post fergie managers. Spent more, left the squad in a horrendous shape and put morale at rock bottom.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yea, he wouldn’t want to come face to face with his past post on here as there is receipt of my brilliance and his ignorance. Whereas, he and many Spurs fan blamed Pochettino, I blamed the lack of quality players in their team and their board. Page 249 of the serious look at Pochettino thread and onwards can see my Nostradamus like effect.
:lol: oh my

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not disputing his point but just think he’s done it to try and take a completely unnecessary dig because it’s “in” to have a go at Mourinhos style.
Why did he choose now to make those comments? Of course you don’t need to play against Mourinho to make this point but his timing of the comments are as if he’s just discovered it by playing against them on Wednesday. Spurs have been shite for well over a year.
Perhaps he was asked about it since, you know, he played against them on Wednesday.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, for me he was the worst of the post fergie managers. Spent more, left the squad in a horrendous shape and put morale at rock bottom.
Yep.

In LvG's last season, we finished ahead of Liverpool and on the same amount of points as City (with City getting 4th due to a better goal difference). All whilst bedding in youngsters.

By the time Jose was done here he had us lightyears behind both. He may have won trophies, and finished 2nd, but he caused so much more damage than he brought success.

the chameleon

His whole philosophy is the win short term at any cost. Below is a typical Jose I drafted out on my phone whilst doing my morning business.
0. Join a top club. Say at the press conference about being the positive/ happy/special one.
1. Buy established players / names because grass is always greener on the other side.
2. Hit the ground running in a rigid system.
3. Win some trophies in season 1 - 3. ( the trophy part is becoming rarer with each adding role).
4. Realise that at the start of season 3 the players you bought are now past it.
5. publicly criticise everyone for the bad start to the season.Criticise the lack of funds (after spending half a billion). Throw players and staff under the bus.
6. The season starts bad. Now transform into full scale moody / toxic one.
7. Pick a scapegoat or two.
8. The morale is down -1000%.
9. Having always been a divisive figure among fans, now 90% of fans have had enough. Only that small Jose cult still fully support him.
10. Get fired.
11. Take a break.
12. Join a new club and at the press conference say you are the, “refreshed one”.

Chuckazulu

His whole philosophy is the win short term at any cost. Below is a typical Jose I drafted out on my phone whilst doing my morning business.
0. Join a top club. Say at the press conference about being the positive/ happy/special one.
1. Buy established players / names because grass is always greener on the other side.
2. Hit the ground running in a rigid system.
3. Win some trophies in season 1 - 3.
4. Realise that at the start of season 3 the players you bought are now past it.
5. publicly criticise everyone for the bad start to the season.Criticise the lack of funds (after spending half a billion). Throw players and staff under the bus.
6. The season starts bad. Now transform into full scale moody / toxic one.
7. Pick a scapegoat or two.
8. The morale is down -1000%.
9. Having always been a divisive figure among fans, now 90% of fans have had enough. Only that small Jose cult still fully support him.
10. Get fired.
11. Take a break.
12. Join a new club and at the press conference say you are the, “refreshed one”.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Son

Poch's football wasn't ever particularly beautiful. It was definitely not outdated, but it was quite workman-like. The likes of Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel play much more beautiful football while Poch's a lot more pragmatic compared to them. I'd go as far as saying, as far as the current top managers go Poch's football is more closer to the likes of Simeone & Conte (who also press high and effectively) than the 3 I mentioned.
Tuchel and Guardiola I agree with but tbh I much preferred watching Spurs brand of football at times than Liverpool. Maybe it’s my bias but I see Pool as a more workmanlike side than Poch’s Tottenham who had some of the most entertaining games of the past 5 years.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Like @top1whoisman said, the timing is because he had an interview shortly after playing them

https://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/i/9...tikk-etter-cupbragd-de-har-forandret-seg-helt

He discusses more than Mourinho there.

Skills

Snitch
Tuchel and Guardiola I agree with but tbh I much preferred watching Spurs brand of football at times than Liverpool. Maybe it’s my bias but I see Pool as a more workmanlike side than Poch’s Tottenham who had some of the most entertaining games of the past 5 years.
I think if you take Klopps entire body of work, his team's in general have played some of the most breathtaking football of the past decade.

I think he's sacrificed a bit for defensive pragmatism in the last 18 months or so though. But as the Anfield tie against Barcelona showed, he can get them switch it on when he wants (which he did without both Salah and Firmino)

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I feel Jose can still do alright at Spurs, not the heights of his younger years, but maybe a trophy next season.

Poch built a solid Spurs team and really pushed them forward, there is no denying this. But some things I still scratch my head at as someone that caught games occasionally. Im sure a Spurs fan could break it down a lot better than me buttttt.

Away at City, press hard, push forward and try and score. Lose 2-0, Liverpool away, same thing, same result, ad infinitum. Did the dood have a plan B? Dembele really carried that midfield torch in the physical battle and they have never replaced him. And as great as he was, he was not a patch on Modric, who has been the fulcrum for the RM midfield for the last, what? 7 years? For a good reason.

Props to Poch, he did really well with the resources at hand. Just sometimes I think a less swashbuckling, albeit more sobering/boring watch was the better approach to game management.

I think Jose excels at this, he just needs to instil in his team a more swashbuckling approach on occasion.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I feel Jose can still do alright at Spurs, not the heights of his younger years, but maybe a trophy next season.

Poch built a solid Spurs team and really pushed them forward, there is no denying this. But some things I still scratch my head at as someone that caught games occasionally. Im sure a Spurs fan could break it down a lot better than me buttttt.

Away at City, press hard, push forward and try and score. Lose 2-0, Liverpool away, same thing, same result, ad infinitum. Did the dood have a plan B? Dembele really carried that midfield torch in the physical battle and they have never replaced him. And as great as he was, he was not a patch on Modric, who has been the fulcrum for the RM midfield for the last, what? 7 years? For a good reason.

Props to Poch, he did really well with the resources at hand. Just sometimes I think a less swashbuckling, albeit more sobering/boring watch was the better approach to game management.

I think Jose excels at this, he just needs to instil in his team a more swashbuckling approach on occasion.
So, less swashbuckling is needed... but with more swashbuckling...?

Got ya... I think.

Johan07

He lost his shit in the rugby world cup thread.
Wow. Didnt see that coming. Always seemed reasonable comparable to the Glastons of the Caftard-world. Must have been a total meltdown to not just warrant a threadban.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wow. Didnt see that coming. Always seemed reasonable comparable to the Glastons of the Caftard-world. Must have been a total meltdown to not just warrant a threadban.
Glaston mainly just look to troll though.

steffyr2

Yes, you've made it really clear that that's what you think.

I've wondered what things would have been like if we'd just done what Mourinho wanted a few years ago -- bought a defender, got William, got rid of Pogba and Martial. Remember the good old days, when all the 'fans' wanted Martial to take 6 weeks paternity leave at the start of a new season?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yes, you've made it really clear that that's what you think.

I've wondered what things would have been like if we'd just done what Mourinho wanted a few years ago -- bought a defender, got William, got rid of Pogba and Martial. Remember the good old days, when all the 'fans' wanted Martial to take 6 weeks paternity leave at the start of a new season?
It would have been an absolute nightmare and set us back a further 3 years and if anyone has to tell you that then you are clueless.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He's starting to Jose already. 5 CBs against Burnley to ensure they don't lose.
:lol:
Christ that is ugly. He might get a result, but 5 cb against burnley? Mourinho is the antithesis of a progressive manager. Good time to be a Spurs fan.

I disagree. They had great interplay, movement, controlled passing, diagonals, intensity and aggression, players seem to always have high footballing iq, attacking impetus and much more. You must have only started watching his side during the poor forms where psychologically factors impacted onfield performances.

Last edited: