Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He is finished. How can you be this crap? When I heard he didn't trust the data or GPS tracking for matches or training then I saw him for what he was; someone who fears anything that will show him up and his tactics up as poor and tumescent.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I thought he'd win one, one trophy shouldn't be asking too much, and he'd always managed to at least get a League cup. Looks like a mad suggestion on my part now, but it made sense at the time of his appointment. We all knew it would end in meltdown, but this quickly? Impressive.
It's the same for me, I had the League Cup in mind but today that's not even realistic.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's a bit shit isn't he? I defended him to death even when I was wrong (racking my brains as I defended his Seville Presser against @Fracture90 ), but looking back I couldn't accept how far he's fallen.
Looking at him for Spurs now it's just clear he's fallen off a cliff. It's not like they have bad players: Lucas, Lamela, Bergwin, Son is a good support cast for Kane. He has a good midfield and a decent enough defense. It just looks so disjointed, yet again for him.

Champagne Football

Agreed on the tumescent football. Jose is a spent force but the bolded part is simply not true. He has set up teams who have performed much better than the sum of their parts and has won CLs with smaller teams. This is revisionism at its best.

He is a parody of what he was though. The aura of invincibility has been completely shattered and he hasn't a clue of how to get back to where he was. His reputation still got him the Tottenham job.
I don't think there's much difference to the Jose of his prime to the Jose of today. I don't think he's a spent force. I feel if he took over Newcastle with all that Saudi money they might get and didn't have to worry about FFP like he didn't have to worry about in his first Chelsea stint, and went out and spent 500 million on the likes of Cristiano, Erling Haaland, Frenkie De Jong and Phil Foden in 1 transfer window, then I think he'd take Newcastle up the table quickly. No guarantees he'd win the current league but he'd get close.

It's just that big clubs don't want to win ugly anymore. And there's enough really top attacking coaches out there today for big clubs to not have to resort to a zombie football manager such as a Jose, a Rafa or a Simeone anymore.

He did great things at Porto but they were a club who won the league blindfolded during that era, and even Villas Boas won mountains of trophies there after Jose, so they were a team who could play their second team in a league match on a Saturday, so their first team were fresh for a huge CL tie the following Wednesday.

Jose has done incredible things, but he's been in the right place at the right time a lot which I believe has created a bit of a myth about his coaching abilities, similar to when Ranieri won the league with Leicester at a time when all the big clubs in the Premier league had very poor managers. Or similar to Tuchel at PSG where the team win the league blindfolded every season due to living in a different universe to everyone else.

Add to the fact that Jose has evolved zero as a tactician in the past decade and its not a surprise he's in free-fall at Spurs

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's a bit shit isn't he? I defended him to death even when I was wrong (racking my brains as I defended his Seville Presser against @Fracture90 ), but looking back I couldn't accept how far he's fallen.
Looking at him for Spurs now it's just clear he's fallen off a cliff. It's not like they have bad players: Lucas, Lamela, Bergwin, Son is a good support cast for Kane. He has a good midfield and a decent enough defense. It just looks so disjointed, yet again for him.
Yeah and this time there's no excuse that these aren't his players. Kane, Son, Alli, Moura, Dier were supposed to be his type of players. He also spoke highly of Spurs at some point. He liked the team, the players. No other excuses now. Just bad tactical decisions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What happened to him? I used to see him post quote a lot a few years ago.
Spurs got shit. He left. They’ll threaten to become good again at some point in the future. He will return. Piss everyone off. Then leave when Spurs get shit again. Rinse and repeat. It’s the Glastoncycle. Been the bane of my life on here for nearly 20 years.

Ole'sattheWheel

Speaking of Mourinho and Spurs. Does anyone else remember the match we played against them at WHL in 2018. The one where Eriksen scored in something daft like 10 seconds and Phil Jones scored a belter of an OG.

I remember being mortified at the time as Mourinho was having a meltdown on the touchline giving stick to Pogba and then subbed him off, meanwhile the Spurs home crowd were jeering and giving it biggun.
Not going to lie I am enjoying the schadenfreude of them now having to endure the very thing they were mocking us for :D

Reactions: Sultan

Fosu-Mens

His approach to playing football and winning games is not working anymore for any team is not considered a major underdog. The average ability of a team in the EPL to score goals has increased and the feasibility of sitting deep and counter-attacking is dependent on teams throwing players forward to create chances by numbers. They are not so reliant on numbers anymore to create or score, and are more tactically aware and balanced --> fewer counter-attacking opportunities for Mourinho which forces his team to attempt to create against a balanced defence. That is not what JM coaches or focuses on. Seems like they do not even pass to each other in training either...

Siorac

Spurs got shit. He left. They’ll threaten to become good again at some point in the future. He will return. Piss everyone off. Then leave when Spurs get shit again. Rinse and repeat. It’s the Glastoncycle. Been the bane of my life on here for nearly 20 years.
I can't imagine you really care THAT much though :lol:

Strelok

Yeah and this time there's no excuse that these aren't his players. Kane, Son, Alli, Moura, Dier were supposed to be his type of players. He also spoke highly of Spurs at some point. He liked the team, the players. No other excuses now. Just bad tactical decisions.
Clearly Spurs players were one of the best pressing squads in the PL. I never understand his hatred toward pressing and his love for low block and stationary football. Some said here that he just couldn't do it but tbh I don't buy that. Despite how much we hate or despise the guy he must have more than enough knowledge to do that I think.

Sylar

This seems like a con job from Jose. Its like he didnt want to actually manage. It seems like he hates football. And he thought the easiest way to improve his retirement fund is find a sucker who will hire him. And then straight away, go into his third year meltdown to try and force the firing so he gets the pay off.

Its like hes doing it on purpose by being a parody of himself with the parking the bus mentality.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Clearly Spurs players were one of the best pressing squads in the PL. I never understand his hatred toward pressing and his love for low block and stationary football. Some said here that he just couldn't do it but tbh I don't buy that. Despite how much we hate or despise the guy he must have more than enough knowledge to do that I think.
Same. He is clearly more than capable of understanding it. I guess it has something to do with him protecting his own ego. He wants to show the world if his way is not outdated and he wants to win things in his own way - it worked before so there's no reason why it wouldn't now.

He looks to me like a defeated man with a huge ego. He's wrong but he will never surrender or improve his ways. Instead, he's relying on his past, including bringing up his past achievements and ranting about it to justify every single thing he does. Almost look like a depressed man to me, it's kind of sad to see to be honest. His insecurity is there for all to see.

Strelok

Same. He is clearly more than capable of understanding it. I guess it has something to do with him protecting his own ego. He wants to show the world if his way is not outdated and he wants to win things in his own way - it worked before so there's no reason why it wouldn't now.

He looks to me like a defeated man with a huge ego. He's wrong but he will never surrender or improve his ways. Instead, he's relying on his past, including bringing up his past achievements and ranting about it to justify every single thing he does. Almost look like a depressed man to me, it's kind of sad to see to be honest. His insecurity is there for all to see.
Pretty much this, agreed.

But this makes me despise him even more. Always all about himself, and doesn't give a shite about the club nor the players.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's still accurate. You lot constantly talk about him.
Shocking that on an United forum, the ex-United manager is still being talked about.

Anyway he's doing a good job in alienating your best players and unlike United, you lot don't have the financial strength to get out of this hole. Still as long as "he wounds up United fans", I guess it's okay.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Shocking that on an United forum, the ex-United manager is still being talked about.

Anyway he's doing a good job in alienating your best players and unlike United, you lot don't have the financial strength to get out of this hole. Still as long as "he wounds up United fans", I guess it's okay.
He hasn't alienated our best players. Where do you guys get this information from?

Fracture90

Props you for coming around mate. Takes a lot for a man to challenge his stance on things.

KM

He hasn't alienated our best players. Where do you guys get this information from?
I can't see the likes of Son and Kane sticking much longer. I mean, it's hilarious how Kane ended up playing as a DM against a relegation threatened team.

El Zoido

Of course not, you guys are truly looking like a well oiled machine and aren’t fighting each other at half time or anything.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The worrying thing for any club he poisons is the amount of time it takes to recover after he departs.

Fortunately for Spurs, he wasn't allowed to bring in an army of aged players with no sell-on value, but their next manager is still going to have a hell of a job on restoring player confidence and getting them to erase Jose's football from their collective psyche.

It's quite unbelievable how an all-time great manager can slump to these depths. I used to believe he could have an national team swansong, but even that looks unlikely now.

Any club hiring him now absolutely deserves the dross coming their way.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Of course not, you guys are truly looking like a well oiled machine and aren’t fighting each other at half time or anything.
No need for sarcasm - I know we are utterly shite. He said that Jose has alienated our best players - that may be true but I have not seen any evidence of this at all so I wondered where he got this inside info from.

Rajma

One less team to worry about for foreseeable future is always nice, they won't have the money needed to undo the damage he inflicted on them during his tenure.

Fracture90

His football had only gotten worse with Faria's departure. Could it be that Faria was the one in charge of relating to the players the tactical nuance of Mourinho's ideas?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
One less team to worry about for foreseeable future is always nice, they won't have the money needed to undo the damage he inflicted on them during his tenure.
What damage? Honestly guys this is getting boring - we have been THIS BAD for over a year now. Jose hasn't improved things which is the most damning thing I can say about him so far but to suggest Jose has come in and damaged the club in any way is utterly bonkers.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The worrying thing for any club he poisons is the amount of time it takes to recover after he departs.

Fortunately for Spurs, he wasn't allowed to bring in an army of aged players with no sell-on value, but their next manager is still going to have a hell of a job on restoring player confidence and getting them to erase Jose's football from their collective psyche.

It's quite unbelievable how an all-time great manager can slump to these depths. I used to believe he could have an national team swansong, but even that looks unlikely now.

Any club hiring him now absolutely deserves the dross coming their way.
I think that United fans in particular have a squewed vision of what almost exclusively happens in football. Top players and managers decline, only a few like SAF or Heynckes stay at the top but even then Heynckes had a few stint with smaller clubs where he had to adapt his management to his reality which I think he did brilliantly. The others turn into LVG, Cappelo, Sacchi, Wenger or Mourinho.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
BUT, Mourinho's winding up United fans though, so it's all good.
All I can say is that if (and it's a pretty massive IF right now) Jose can somehow turn this around and get us into some sort of functioning team again after over a years pathetic performances and we beat you next season - I'll very much enjoy rubbing that in your faces. As it stands that looks very unlikely and I'll continue to suck it up and get rightly battered from all sides for daring to suggest such a thing.

Fracture90

What damage? Honestly guys this is getting boring - we have been THIS BAD for over a year now. Jose hasn't improved things which is the most damning thing I can say about him so far but to suggest Jose has come in and damaged the club in any way is utterly bonkers.
Well with N'dombele being your record purchase, you can say that in a way he had damaged your club.

If reports are to be believed there's no love lost between the two, and Mourinho's reported unwillingness to give him a chance, you will find it quite difficult to recuperate the money you've spent on him.

Oldyella

Yeah. Nothing has improved but the squad looks spent to me. Given the supposed budget problems too I would be more worried about how this improves long term as well, Jose or no Jose

KM

All I can say is that if (and it's a pretty massive IF right now) Jose can somehow turn this around and get us into some sort of functioning team again after over a years pathetic performances and we beat you next season - I'll very much enjoy rubbing that in your faces. As it stands that looks very unlikely and I'll continue to suck it up and get rightly battered from all sides for daring to suggest such a thing.
It won't happen though, we United fans went through the same process. Chelsea fans before us.

I mean you beating us in an one off is certainly possible but I don't think he'll be a success at Spurs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah. Nothing has improved but the squad looks spent to me. Given the supposed budget problems too I would be more worried about how this improves long term as well, Jose or no Jose
This is exactly what I feel about the situation. To focus on Jose is a mistake if you ignore the bigger picture and the bigger picture is a big steaming turd.