Jose "We did to them what they don't like"

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Can you imagine being a Spurs fan watching that game?

The anxiety of watching your team hoof the ball and just waiting for United to score. So glad he's out of here.
It was awful to watch and a great reminder that he's not our manager anymore.

dove

That's an interesting stat, but Chelsea are only a few points better and a lot of these issues happened in the first half of the season. It's getting better, but as many people have said, breaking teams down who are properly setup like Spurs were today isn't easy and you have to take your chances. You have to make those half changes count, but United didn't today.
We have to take our chances of course but it doesn't help that we always have like 25-30 mins to do so because our starting lineups are always extremely naive against teams that sit deep. James and McTominay should never ever start a game against these kind of teams but they pretty much always do. Then we get better after we make subs but don't have enough time to win. Ole is extremely naive and simply unable to adapt to circumstances which cost us points.

Judas

Open to offers
Very obviously true, especially with that starting lineup. But if you start Pogba and Greenwood, we win that game, because they're intillgent creative players, who would have picked that particular lock. It was the wrong tactical approach and played right into Jose's hands.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
While it's true that we do much better when given space, with Fernandes and Pogba reaching full fitness this won't be such an issue anymore.

Greenwood or Mata also instead of James would be a help in this regard. James just doesn't offer enough on the right wing and for somebody quick he doesn't test the fullback enough.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Really goes with all the criticism he got when he was managing us. Even at home, he caters his game plan to not lose in big games. I guess at Spurs it gets less negative attention than it did at United, but he's always been this way, and very open about it. If he gets a result, its a master stroke, and when he doesn't, it just a dull 90 mns where his team were barely in the game.

Whats weirder is that after the game he was saying that it was a game that they had to win, but it really didn't appear that way at all.

Godfather

He didn't even deserve a point. We had enough chances to win it. Imagine being a Spurs fan having to watch that shit from them yesterday

If we played like Tottenham yesterday, and Tottenham like us, people would have slaughtered Ole and praised Mourinho.

We were the better team. Only reason Spurs managed a draw, was a goalkeeper in superb form, and a goalkeeper with yet another mistake.
Well done, Ole.

Ekeke

Their only chances of the match were the goal and the Son header. We had loads of chances, the 2 Rashford ones in the first half, Martial in the 2nd and Greenwood at the end, in addition to the goal.
Even when we play on the counter, like against City at Etihad or against Pool both times this season, we create far more chances.

We were clearly the better team and it was clear that players like McTominay, Rashford and Martial aren't totally sharp yet. With Pogba and Bruno starting together along with players gaining match sharpness, I expect us to be totally fine even against teams that sit back.

By the way I wonder how Spurs fans are feeling seeing their near full strength team play the match against Utd like it was 2008? Sitting deep at home, trying to nick a goal and defend it with their lives. It's not even playing on the counter. And indeed we play on the counter too at times but it's against teams like City and Pool who are clearly superior to us at the moment. Utd aren't that better than Spurs in terms of player quality and here we have Jose having them play like he was playing against Barca. I'm so glad Jose is no longer our manager.
In the 2nd half we were clearly better yes. But they had the 2 best chances of the first half, were 1-0 up and it could easily have been 2. I dont see how that could be considered negative.

Negative would have been defending the whole game and trying to steal a goal at the end

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We just lacked creativity, which we could all see change a bit when James and Fred were replaced by Greenwood and Pogba. Obviously momentum had swung a bit as well, so it’s not solely because of those 2, but they made a big difference, especially Pogba. And yet Spurs just about hung on for the draw after another gk clanger by DDG and some magnificent keeping by Loris.

Any team starting with McT, Fred, James, and our fullbacks are going to struggle to create - especially against a side sitting deep. There’s just too much creative burden left on the other 3 (Bruno, Martial & Rashford) - especially if 2/3 looked rusty as well.

It’ll improve, especially with Pogba on the field and hopefully over the summer we get to fix our RW and maybe upgrade a FB position.

Flexdegea

He coached most of our players. Obviously knew how to win against them.

Sometimes I still wish he hadn't been fired as i'm not sure Ole is good enough tactically, but whatever.

Not this again you cant be serious :lol: :houllier:

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
In the 2nd half we were clearly better yes. But they had the 2 best chances of the first half, were 1-0 up and it could easily have been 2. I dont see how that could be considered negative.

Negative would have been defending the whole game and trying to steal a goal at the end
They did defend the whole game and got their goal through a DDG error. Other than that they had just one meaningful chance the whole game. For me that is negative. And let's face it it's nothing new from Jose. This is exactly what he had us do everytime we went to Anfield when he was in charge here.

Ekeke

They did defend the whole game and got their goal through a DDG error. Other than that they had just one meaningful chance the whole game. For me that is negative. And let's face it it's nothing new from Jose. This is exactly what he had us do everytime we went to Anfield when he was in charge here.
They tried to attack on the counter, those were the 2 great chances they had in 45 minutes of football where they were 1-0 up. Were we negative in the first half when we had less chances than they had? They still tried to counter its just they werent successful with it and we coped with it better in the 2nd half.

I remember all those Arsenal games where they'd have most of the ball and try to work an opening for a chance, and we'd break on them and score and win the match. We werent negative just playing counter attacking football

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Does any team like to be sat deep on? Teams who park and hoof it are always tough to break down, even with the best players.

Klopp bemoans defensive teams all the time, even when it's teams in the bottom half of the league.

But I agree, Ighalo for holding the ball, and Greenwood over James. The latter should be used for the counter attack, though perhaps we were expecting to need to do more of that. Even with Jose being Jose, I didn't expect them to be scrapping like a team in the relegation zone so much.
Great point in your first line! All teams prefer the opposition to come out and leave space!
With the exception of Pulis and lower league long ball merchants who want you deep so they can punt it in the mixer.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They tried to attack on the counter, those were the 2 great chances they had in 45 minutes of football where they were 1-0 up. Were we negative in the first half when we had less chances than they had? They still tried to counter its just they werent successful with it and we coped with it better in the 2nd half.

I remember all those Arsenal games where they'd have most of the ball and try to work an opening for a chance, and we'd break on them and score and win the match. We werent negative just playing counter attacking football
There's a fundamental difference between counter attacking and negative football. A clear example is our game against City at Etihad this season. In the first half there, our players were in positions where we were primed to break forward as soon as City lost the ball, making us vulnerable to City countering back. In the second half that game our attacking players were more focused on making sure they were leaving no space behind and hence the counter was slow, because our aim was ensuring we didn't allow City to transition quickly as we were focused on preserving our 2 goal lead.

What Spurs did yesterday was akin to our 2nd half at the Etihad. They were more concerned with making sure we couldn't make quick transition from back to front rather than leaving their attacking players in positions where they could be primed to hurt us when we lost the ball. This for me is negative football and it's a far cry from real counter attacking football which we played against City in the 1st half or against Arsenal in the games you mentioned.

Spurs got their goal through a lucky break rather than a well thought out plan. The evidence for the that is they only "counter attacked" us twice the whole game. When you are actually playing counter attacking football, you counter a lot more, especially with players like Son, Lamela and Bergwjin at your disposal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My patience with Jose has grown quite weary. He wouldn't switch up this game plan even if United just enjoyed his team sitting back. His philosophy of how the game is played now rests on how the opposition views him and by his own perception he is the inferior, the underdog. The cocky underdog. He is the weirdest bloke in football.
His time as a top manager has long gone. It was baffling Tottenham went for him having seen the end of his spell here.
He won't even get the highs we had of two trophies, fa cup and league runners up before the inevitable meltdown.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To be honest if I was a Spurs fan not the sort of post match comments I'd want to hear being 1-0 with ten minutes left in a game they really needed to win. Seems chuffed with himself , as if he's proved a point, just a very strange guy with a weird obsession of being the underdog.
Id be much more worried that Kane looks like an ineffectual carthorse playing for them. And bar one break away run with shoddy keeping they didn't create much at all.

wolvored

Against a deep lying defence park the bus whatever you want to call it, a 4-4-2 with Bruno and Fernandes in CM is all thats needed. Keep your CD slightly deeper in case of the counter.When you have 1 striker its fairly easy for the CD to mark. With 2 strikers and 2 wide men along with 2 very good/WC midfielders spraying the ball around its much more difficult for the opposition defence to mark. I was hoping Ole would have adapted this at half time. He could have dropped McTom and Fred for Ighalo and Pogba, James for Greenwood at the 55-60 min mark if James was still ineffectual. Its all hindsight, but it is still an issue we have with park the bus tactics and set up for the counter ourselves.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I mean, sure "he got his tactics right", but he could very well have lost this game if our front 3 hadn't looked so laboured and the team as a whole was up to speed. It was much luckier for Spurs than us that this game was played after a 3 month hiatus - as a Utd fan, I'm not overly worried going forward, whereas if I were a Spurs fan, there's nothing last night that would have reassured me.

So yeah, great for him, he got a point.

cyberman

All defensive sides tend to counter though, thats the only avenue of attack they have.
United also had 2 fantastic chances to score in the first half as well?
This logic doesnt really hold up. Football has numerous examples of sides parking the bus and winning never mind drawing. It doesnt mean they weren't parking the bus only that it worked

Dante

Average bang
Yeah. The tactical game was won by Ole if anything. But Jose did do a decent job of mitigating our areas of superiority.

https://understat.com/match/11936

xG is not the best way to argue small differences in matches. But it is a decent indicator for objectively judging the balance of play when the differences are as stark as above.

Any score between 0-0 and 1-3 could have easily happened with a tiny slice of luck for either side. Spurs were lucky with 1-1.

Withnail

They were negative because they defended the whole game and tried to nick a goal on the break as per with Mourinho.

They managed to do it through a mistake the first half and rarely troubled us.

Why is it only a negative performance if they waited til the end?

Withnail

I mean, sure "he got his tactics right", but he could very well have lost this game if our front 3 hadn't looked so laboured and the team as a whole was up to speed. It was much luckier for Spurs than us that this game was played after a 3 month hiatus - as a Utd fan, I'm not overly worried going forward, whereas if I were a Spurs fan, there's nothing last night that would have reassured me.

So yeah, great for him, he got a point.
Yeah I think it's one of them we win 7 or 8 out of 10 times.

I'd be very worried as a Spurs fan but he doesn't hang around long so there's the massive meltdown to look forward to.

Withnail

His comment would ring more true if we hadn’t taken four points off him this season.
Jose is a manager that I really like, but seeing him act bullish about getting a point whilst managing Tottenham? God that’s sad.
But this is what he's always like.

Remember the football heritage nonsense. I really don't see what there is to like anymore.

He's never wrong and if he is it's always someone else's fault. Its bloody tiresome.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Did he interact with our players at FT? Curious to see how he and Pog greeted each other.

Fully Fledged

He coached most of our players. Obviously knew how to win against them.

Sometimes I still wish he hadn't been fired as i'm not sure Ole is good enough tactically, but whatever.
First point we've played them twice this season, beat them at home and drew away. How has he shown that he knows how to beat us?

Second point he drew at home in a match where his team were second best for all but about 10-15 minutes and he's crowing about a tactical masterclass. This is the kind of negativity that made me glad he was fired.

ColvaleGoa

I think Jose got lucky yesterday that Martial and Rashford were not Sharp /Matchfit yesterday. This is solely due to the extended break and injuries. We would have won there and we looked good , created good chances and result was not too bad. So Jose can suck it!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Jose's a dick and always wise after the event but I do think Ole got his tactics/team wrong tonight. Even if he didn't think "it's Jose, he'll sit", once we'd let a goal in, we should have changed earlier, HT definitely.

Wasn't happening for Rashford or Martial tonight, hopefully a one off but Ole shouldn't be scared of dropping anyone if form/opposition needs it.
A dick who understands far more about football than the rest of us.

Kag

Spurs were dreadful. They scored a goal from a punt up the field in which three of our players acted like muppets. The only chance of note thereafter was a Son header when we were rattled.

They spent the entire second half in their own penalty area and Harry Kane had morphed into some sort of auxiliary centre half.

Mourinho and Spurs are done for and meltdown isn’t too far away. Spurs were like we were under Mourinho: negative, drab and void of ideas.

We weren’t great last night, but we certainly looked like more of a team.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We had probably 7-8 decent chances to score and would have won quite comfortably if Rashford wasn't so rusty. This is also despite half our players looking unacceptably unfit and us being utter shite for the entire first half of the game, so not sure I'd be mouthing off if I was Mourinho. Although, he's Mourinho.

Fully Fledged

Jose always plays this way so no surprises there

We're better against team that sit deep than we were 4/5 months ago though, especially when Pogba and Fernandes are on the pitch
Agreed. I felt that after Pogba came on there was only one team who could have won if the game went on longer.

Kag

The anxiety of watching your team hoof the ball and just waiting for United to score. So glad he's out of here.
Indeed. They’re in for a tough time. I remember it only too well.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Mourinho is a busted flush and bitter cnut. Spurs are now a complete irrelevance at the top end of the table. We dominated them yesterday and are comfortably the better side, which will be reflected in the gap between us and them at the end of the season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

It’s a real shame for them.

Kane had one shot in the whole game, from a free kick.

Pretty pathetic stuff.

Fully Fledged

I thought that Rashford's chance that Lloris saved with his feet was a better chance than either of Spurs chances.

Motorman

On balance now I've "got over" the result.

Jose has managed nearly all the players. Knew how to set up, knew their weaknesses, had a full strength side back for him, at their home ground etc etc.

He still didn't beat us.

We had so many chances to score first, thus putting them on the back foot, which would have ruined Jose's plan straight away and played into our hands with our counter attacking players on the pitch.

They sat so deep, like very very deep. And although its wasn't easy, we did create some chances and on other days, would have got one.

Spurs are a decent outfit too lets not forget, and I am quietly confident that with a fit and firing duo of Pogba and Bruno, we will have more opportunities to unlock these "low block" teams.

LoneStar

How the feck can anybody watch the shit he served up here and the shit he has served up at Spurs and wish he’d never been fired?

At this time in their careers OGS is a far better manager and it’s not even fecking close.

You literally have rocks in your head
Watching the match, I was wondering if this is how we looked when defending a lead under Jose. Very depressing. Imagine having players like Kane and Son, and deciding to sit back for the full 90 mins.

Untd55

It is really odd, and quite sad, how people get so worked up about someone they don't know.

Jose says 'We played in a way they don't like' and sheer outrage. How dare one of the best managers of all time say that they played in a way that works perfectly well against us. Outrageous. The audacity!

Even though it has happened before, countless times, how dare you say that United are poor at breaking teams down under Solksjaer. How dare you use tactics that work perfectly well against us.

I think people need to take a few breaths and realise you don't know these people personally. The biggest dickhead could very well be a United player. Stop holding hatred for a person you don't know; it is sad. It also ends up in boring nattering of old ladies.