Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzydiggler

I think he's just painfully aware of how much work needs doing and doesn't want the players to think they've done all they need to.

We've been crying out for someone to beat some mental toughness back into the club - for all of his faults, Mourinho is a master at it and it's good to see.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Nail on the head.

The last thing Mourinho wants right now is for the players to start thinking 'mission accomplished'. We have still got a lot of work to do, and we all know that a domestic cup means feck all to us if we don't make the Champions League (just ask LvG).
Whats wrong with enjoying the moment and focusing back to work tomorrow. ?

JoaquinJoaquin

He wasn't the same Jose during his second stint at Chelsea either, Madrid knocked the stuffing out of him in my opinion.

He's not lost his managerial ability, just the youthful excitement we seen during his spells at Porto, Chelsea and Inter.
You have a point. I just find it strange that Madrid (a club renowned for sacking managers) were the ones to seemingly take the stuffing out of him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Can't please some people..

Jose acts cocky and arrogant - he's hated

Jose is reserved and humble - he's not arsed.

InfiniteBoredom

Off topic but Fergie looks like he's 10 years younger than the day he retired.

Quite unbelievable how much stress you are under in this job.

shaky

You have a point. I just find it strange that Madrid (a club renowned for sacking managers) were the ones to seemingly take the stuffing out of him.
He knows the winners of the last 4 major trophies in England have lost their jobs within the year.
Seriously though, I think he's probably worried about how knackered our team was compared to Southampton, especially with a hectic schedule for the rest of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts rotating a lot more soon.

InfiniteBoredom

It was the pinnacle of his managerial career and not being able to win a CL there or beat Barca meaningfully hurt, given his past association with that club.

If, say, he's won a CL or one more league title during his 3 years there I doubt he'd much care about being sacked. It was his one chance to stick it to those who rejected him and he didn't capitalise.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
People clearly never seen Jose win a trophy before. He rarely celebrates.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
An acceptance of mediocrity has been a real problem at this club since SAF left. Glad Jose isn't bouncing around like a cheerleader after an undeserved victory in a budget cup. I know one Opel peddling twat that would.
We sacked lvg and moyes for mediocrity...
Doesn't seem very accepting to me. Of anything I'd say we'd been expecting an unrealistic instant bounce back after Fergie.

vk20legend

I'm not worried about his body language or whether he looked happy or not. He was emotional and you could see that he was as he said in the interview. He has been under a lot of pressure just because he is Mourinho and the amount of coverage that comes with it and add that to the biggest and toughest job in football, you will find many crumble under that kind of pressure.

Hopefully he is thinking about the rest of the season and we have a successful one going forward. I am sure once the season ends he will look back at it with more happiness than at this point of time.

For those who say, he might leave end of season, they are totally misreading the scenario here. He's not going anywhere and hopefully, we'll have a long and successful run with him at the helm.

Giggs86

That was a winner's demeanor. Fergie would've acted the same. On the contrary, you have the losers demeanor, such as Klopp's and Moyes's celebrations after drawing minor teams at home.

starman

Played crap, Southampton probably should have won. Its the weakest cup, not surprised he was not celebrating

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Reckon the shell shocked non celebration is just a byproduct of him being more mature at this point of his career, and not wanting to revel in Southampton's sorrows because they were worthy opponents on the day (like United were vs. Madrid in Fergie's last season). He loved being a party pooper, but maybe not any more, though even in the old days, he was often quite somber and emotional rather than over-the-top gleeful wrt. celebrations after winning trophies (funnily enough, he seemed much happier after QF and SF wins - like the touchline run at Old Trafford, and the goading of Barcelona fans at Camp Nou).

Plus, from a pragmatic point of view, this is only the stepping stone towards his ultimate goal - March and April is going to be brutal. He will have the Europa League, Top 4 qualification and FA Cup tie vs Chelsea on his mind, and the last thing he'd want is the players losing sight of the real targets and getting complacent after winning the worst cup we're competing in because they can't compartmentalize their emotions, especially when we could've easily snatched defeat from the jaws of victory after Gaddbiadini's first goal - leading up to the second.

We might not see a half-satisfied Mourinho until he lifts the Big Ears and the Premier League title - that's what he expects from himself, evidenced by the bit about him putting great pressure upon himself - and that's the new-old standard United needs to revisit.
Does anyone know what Mourinho's record is in cup finals and how it compares with other managers?
~85% win-rate with 11 victories in 13 finals:
Jose Mourinho built on his impressive cup final record when Manchester United beat Southampton in the EFL Cup showpiece on Sunday. The 54-year-old has now won 11 out of 13 cup finals since 2003
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15115/10769111/jose-mourinhos-impressive-cup-final-record

vs
:lol:

Raw

Reckon the shell shocked non celebration is just a byproduct of him being more mature at this point of his career, and not wanting to revel in Southampton's sorrows because they were worthy opponents on the day (like United were vs. Madrid in Fergie's last season). He loved being a party pooper, but maybe not any more, though even in the old days, he was often quite somber and emotional rather than over-the-top gleeful wrt. celebrations after winning trophies (funnily enough, he seemed much happier after QF and SF wins - like the touchline run at Old Trafford, and the goading of Barcelona fans at Camp Nou).

Plus, from a pragmatic point of view, this is only the stepping stone towards his ultimate goal - March and April is going to be brutal. He will have the Europa League, Top 4 qualification and FA Cup tie vs Chelsea on his mind, and the last thing he'd want is the players losing sight of the real targets and getting complacent after winning the worst cup we're competing in because they can't compartmentalize their emotions, especially when we could've easily snatched defeat from the jaws of victory after Gaddbiadini's first goal - leading up to the second.

We might not see a half-satisfied Mourinho until he lifts the Big Ears and the Premier League title - that's what he expects from himself, evidenced by the bit about him putting great pressure upon himself - and that's the new-old standard United needs to revisit.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15115/10769111/jose-mourinhos-impressive-cup-final-record

vs
And his only two losses were after added time, not bad. Thank feck Zlatan scored that late winner then :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Look at the trophies won. With teams that are completely his and he trusts his men. We are a long way from that. He's still in business mode.

No doubt personal stuff has changed him a little as a person in general as well as the treachery he has had to suffer in previous clubs. His ego has taken a battering so he's a lot more circumspect than he once was. This is in addition to it just being the EFL cup.. people really are making a mountain out of a molehill. It was hardly a performance where he could gloat over the win.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Only this forum can make winning a trophy feel depressing.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
The message to the players is clear; congratulations on winning this trophy but don't for a second go thinking the season is a success. Your 6th in the league so don't switch off now

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He was tactically schooled today. But the bright side is that he picked a strong and attack minded team.

He underestimated how tired we are and how fresh the saints were . He will learn from this. That two man midfield only works against bus parking teams .

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

vs
5 times, la

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ok, so, the numbers of Fergie and Simeone might be off, but - Fergie retired at 60% with 18 wins in 30 finals (excluding shitehawk cups and shields).

7 finals - 5 wins at Aberdeen in domestic cups. *
1 final - 1 win at Aberdeen in European competitions. **

* Excluding Drybrough Cup
** Excluding UEFA Super Cup game

15 finals - 9 wins at United in domestic cups.
5 finals - 3 win at United in European competitions.
2 finals - 1 wins in intercontinental competitions.

FA Cup - 5/8
League Cup - 4/7

Champions League - 2/4
Cup Winners' Cup: 1/1

Simeone: 50% with 4 finals and 2 wins.

Others ripped off Independent article:
Klopp: 17% with 6 finals and 1 win
Guardiola: 83% with 6 finals and 5 wins
Ancelotti: 86% with 7 finals and 6 wins
Benítez: 71% with 7 finals and 5 wins
Conte: 0% with 1 final and 0 wins
Wenger: 58% with 12 finals and 7 wins
Enrique: 100% with 2 finals and 2 wins
Van Gaal: 83% with 6 finals and 5 wins
Link

Ban

I'm not worried about his body language or whether he looked happy or not. He was emotional and you could see that he was as he said in the interview. He has been under a lot of pressure just because he is Mourinho and the amount of coverage that comes with it and add that to the biggest and toughest job in football, you will find many crumble under that kind of pressure.

Hopefully he is thinking about the rest of the season and we have a successful one going forward. I am sure once the season ends he will look back at it with more happiness than at this point of time.

For those who say, he might leave end of season, they are totally misreading the scenario here. He's not going anywhere and hopefully, we'll have a long and successful run with him at the helm.
Don't tell me some think he might leave cause of the celebration?

Status
Not open for further replies.