Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Mata has a more consistent first touch and is more elegant. That's pretty much the only areas Mata is better. I'd have Rooney above him in every other area and people need to stop making excuses for Mata. He's played as a #10 this season and has shown as much vision and creativity as Antonio Valencia. It's baffling that excuses keep being made for Mata while RVP, who had a better season, get's all sorts of abuse.

LR7

I don't think he would look half as poor if we didn't insist on playing two or three strikers.

As we do, it only increases the defensive work Mata has to do because you can't have two strikers plus a number ten with minimal defensive responsibility. I'm not looking for excuses for him but without a doubt it means that he has to put more of a shift in midfield and that just isn't one of his best qualities.

I'd love to see Mata and Rooney behind Falcao. We all know Rooney puts a shift in and chases back in every game and Falcao is brilliant with his hold-up play, shielding the ball and bringing others into play.

Mata might be sub-par at the moment, but he hasn't just turned shit. He's still a brilliant little player just maybe needs a bit of confidence.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Pogue Mahone said:
What ability?
Genuine question because I can't remember his Chelsea games and have seen nothing at United to make me think he's better suited to playing at 10 than Rooney. What does he bring to the role that Rooney does not?
It's not so much about what does he bring that Rooney doesn't. There is nothing wrong with having two great options in that role. Look at today, Rooney isn't there, what an option to have Mata there. He is a very smart footballer, great technique, a great eye for a pass, can finish too. Nothing of that is a dig at Rooney, he to can have claim to that role but I don't see how people who want Rooney there (fair enough) come to the conclusion that Mata is a waste of space.
MoneyMay said:
Mata deserves to be criticised because he's not performing the basic function of a #10. Rooney did a poor job of playing between the lines last season - and I'm not a fan of him as a #10 anyway - but he's put in better performances this season. And his positioning has a lot to do with that. You can have unreal ability - it still won't stop players like Oscar and Willian from displacing you. He has to adapt to Van Gaal's system which is a pro-active system like Mourinho's.
No doubt Mata deserves criticism, I never said anything to suggest he doesn't. However, I don't think him being labelled a waste of space and not United quality because David Silva is so good as deserved criticism.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
What ability? He's doing exactly what Rooney gets absolutely slaughtered for. Passing the ball wide and then bum rushing into the box except he's worse at it. Rooney at least proved very adept at link up play and building up a very good understanding wih Di Maria and Herrera. He'll never be David SIlva but asking him to be creative is not too much to ask of a supposed #10 is it? Espcially as he doesn't provide anything else to the team.
He's out of form. Did you ever see him at Chelsea? In terms of creativity he was the most creative number ten in the PL during that time.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Mata has a more consistent first touch and is more elegant. That's pretty much the only areas Mata is better. I'd have Rooney above him in every other area and people need to stop making excuses for Mata. He's played as a #10 this season and has shown as much vision and creativity as Antonio Valencia. It's baffling that excuses keep being made for Mata while RVP, who had a better season, get's all sorts of abuse.
It's not baffling mate. People are making "excuses" because yes he's been a bit shite but he's a top class player and you can't just write of top class players like that.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
There is hardly any player who is not going through a bad spell. A player like Mata can hit his form at any time during this season and all of this will be forgotten. Yes, in rare cases world class players will not reach their full potential in a team. I think it's about finding a harmony in the team at the moment. There are so many players with different types of status and we also happen to change the team around too many times. Perhaps the team would be better off if only Mata and RVP played upfront??? I believe our team is not playing enough games to justify all these players. If we had played in the CL we would probably be able to balance the team in a better way and not need to force a rest on a player like Mata. Now we're happy with red cards and injuries on players to be able to see a more balanced team. That's not an ideal situation.

Donut

Mata better stake a claim today, because he didn't impress at all in the last few games. He'll go back to warming the bench, unless he plays a blinder today.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's out of form. Did you ever see him at Chelsea? In terms of creativity he was the most creative number ten in the PL during that time.
It's not baffling mate. People are making "excuses" because yes he's been a bit shite but he's a top class player and you can't just write of top class players like that.
He was good at Chelsea, even brilliant but the fact is he hasn't been very good creatively for over a year now. And I don't think he was as creative as his numbers suggest. About half of his assists were from set pieces, which is not a bad attribute to have but it's not an indicative of how creative a player is. See Ashley Young for prime evidence.

I'm not writing him off by any means. I dont see why people can't just admit he's in poor form instead of spouting 101 reasons why he's not playing well. Basically shifting the blame onto anyone but himself. And someone like RVP, who's actually been brilliant for us is getting no such luxury.

And fwiw, I'd start Mata out wide with Rooney in the hole and one of RVP/Falcao up top. I have a feeling that might get the best out of Mata.

Eric'sCollar

I dont see why people can't just admit he's in poor form instead of spouting 101 reasons why he's not playing well. Basically shifting the blame onto anyone but himself. And someone like RVP, who's actually been brilliant for us is getting no such luxury.
I don't think it's that. I'm obviously a huge fan but know he hasn't been performing to his best but people are criticising him for not being as good as Silva for example and in my opinion, that's just stupid.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
If Falcao is out we have to start Mata.

The ones left simply don't have enough goals in them to warrant starting over him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That season he got a huge number of assists was grossly padded by the Europa League, the FA and League Cup, in which he got 14 of his 30 or so assists in that year (in 64 games too). He only had 12 in the league in 35 matches and considering he took all their set pieces, that's not very high - "uncreative, touch of a slug..." Rooney often hits same levels. I don't think he's very creative, he's just a very decisive, final third, second-striker type of forward with a very nice first touch and an elegance in the way he plays. His tactical inflexibility and general lack of being able to fully impose himself makes me wonder if he'll be here past January...

Varun

Staff
As much as a I love him, we'l look a better team with Di Maria as the AM with Carrick Blind and Herrera behind him. Rooney up top.

thejtrain

The Silva comparisons are inevitable, don't you think? Unless someone wants to throw the excuse that he's a different type of player to Mata, that is. For a player with responsibilities to create chances and influence games at a top club, Silva does at least twice as much as Mata having cost at least 10M less.

Anyway, this is a very important chance that he should look to grab before Rooney comes back from suspension, I'd imagine. If he isn't able to, he should just settle for a place in the bench or move to a different league to try his luck there.

jem

You won't find a bigger fan of Rooney than me but just wait until he plays in the 10 role again, 90% on here will be screaming for Mata's ability in that role. I truly believe this phase will blow over and Mata will go on to have a good season for us. In saying that, I don't think he is doing bad, it's just he hasn't been David Silva and for some reason, that is unacceptable to a lot of United fans.
I think it's several things:

1. He's just not playing that well. If that old chestnut about form being temporary holds true, then this shouldn't be a big worry.
2. He's guilty by association of being a Moyes transfer.
3. Like you said, he's not David Silva (although a few years ago, when Silva was in a prolonged slump with City and Mata was tearing it up with Chelsea, the debate about who was better was much more balanced.)

The bottom line is that we are pretty lucky to have both him and Rooney in the team.

Sam

That little disguised dink to Di Maria early on in the first half is exactly the kind of shit I want to see from Mata on a regular basis. He's got it in his locker, so do it more often.

jem

Horrendous miss notwithstanding (and the dodgy nature of my stream,) I think he's looked much better today. Charging forward with purpose and spraying the passes about. Long may it continue (although with Rooney back next week, it may not have the chance...)

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
A decent half from him, imo.
Yeah, he's been decent. Still quite quiet at times, but as others have pointed out he made that excellent pass to Di Maria. Certainly looking a little bit better than some of his recent games.

DevilRed

Working hard but had a glorious chance to get a shot on target and completely scuffed it.

Still looking like he is out of sync and not in the best form. Needs to really take a hold of this opportunity because Rooney will be back the next match.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Working hard but had a glorious chance to get a shot on target and completely scuffed it.

Still looking like he is out of sync and not in the best form. Needs to really take a hold of this opportunity because Rooney will be back the next match.
Yep, he's had a decent game so far, but not one to the extent where he's going to secure a first team place when Rooney returns.

Sam

Went MIA again in the second half. Really disappointing, as I thought he'd had a decent first half.

Roboc7

Poor again today, just doesn't do enough and he might be on the bench for a while now. He had a couple of good moments but not enough and he deserved to come off.

Ringo 07

He'll be sold in January if we can find a buyer for him. He'll probably first go on loan. He's simply not dynamic enough for this level. He looked great in an average Chelsea team but he's been found out when in top teams.

saivet

Went MIA again in the second half. Really disappointing, as I thought he'd had a decent first half.
To be fair everyone did. Up until around the 80th min, Chelsea we cruising.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he was alright, tidy on the ball and looked sharper then usual. At the end of the day, he'll still be dropped for Rooney though, or even Herrera, because of their all around work they can put in.

wr8_utd

:'(
He had a decent first half but he really didn't do enough again. He just doesn't have a big influence on games.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He was too deep today to be very effective in the final third. I would have preferred Fellaini to sit deeper and allow Mata to link up with RVP and bring the wingers in to play around the box.

Kostur

海尔的老板
If Angel scored from the fantastic chance Mata created for him near the start he'd be perceived differently.

He's done ok imo, worked harder than usual and kept the ball moving. I think we missed his play through the middle when he went off and were too reliant on wings.

Eric'sCollar

He can't do a thing right for a lot of fans at the moment, just like Fellaini can't do anything wrong at the minute.

He did well, not a poor game, not a great game, just did well. In life you have to accept that sometimes, far too often on here it has to be one of two extremes when it comes to judging a performance.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
If Angel scored from the fantastic chance Mata created for him near the start he'd be perceived differently.

He's done ok imo, worked harder than usual and kept the ball moving. I think we missed his play through the middle when he went off and were too reliant on wings.
It wouldn't have told us anything we didn't already know.
Nobody denies that he can pick a great pass or score goals.

That's not the issue people have.

Status
Not open for further replies.