6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

Poor display from Mata. Really needs to offer a lot more than he did. Noticeable how little effort he puts in off the ball compared to the others.

Dylan94

Just my own opinion and nothing more. But I haven't seen any game from Mata in a Manchester United shirt yet to even come close to justifying his £38 million pound transfer fee. Disappointing again today.

Godfather

Totally invisible today. His free kicks were wank as well. Has to do better, it's not enough to write fancy things in your blog.

Walters_19_MuFc

Just my own opinion and nothing more. But I haven't seen any game from Mata in a Manchester United shirt yet to even come close to justifying his £38 million pound transfer fee. Disappointing again today.
He won't get stick though, because he's justified it in the past, but fact is, he's with us now and like you said, needs to be showing a lot more.

RooneyLegend

Yup. I'm a bit worried about how he's played the number 10 role in this pre season. To get the best out of Herrera and fletcher as a midfield two we need the number 10 getting far more involved than mata has. Issue with mata is that although he's exceptional in the final third and very classy on the ball, I would argue that he doesn't play make nearly enough. He's very much a player who likes to impact scorelines, and more of an attacker than a number 10.
That was my argument in favour of silva in the silva vs mata debate some time back. Mata is essentially more of a second striker than a playmaker. His build up play is particularly average.

justboy68

All the technical ability in the world but a great athlete he is not. He'd be an extraordinary player in someone else's body. Still going to be very good for us in the long term though. He's too good technically, too intelligent and too mature not to be I would think.

DFreshKing

That was my argument in favour of silva in the silva vs mata debate some time back. Mata is essentially more of a second striker than a playmaker. His build up play is particularly average.

Yeah - Why wasn't he dropping in and exchanging passes with Herrara and linking play with Rooney?

This is what that roles needs but for some reason he seemed well of the pace today.

This position does not require blistering pace so he only weakness should not be an issue. He simply did not dictate play and link with the midfielders and forwards like he should.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mata is definitely a second striker for me whereas silva is a playmaker.

Godfather

He goes down the Kagawa route.
Not much he can do when the movement around him just isnt right and he doesnt get any balls.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was poor today but has shown his class in the past. Of all the worries we might have, Mata is way down the list.

Ringo 07

The jury is still very much out as to whether he is a Man Utd player. He was awful today..absolutely no influence apart from a few nice set piece deliveries......He has absolutely no pace or strength and in tough games he goes missing.
So Moyes spent 65 million on Fellaini and Mata and renewed Nani's contract where were we desperate for 2 central midfielders last summer. He's left the squad in a right mess and probably was responsible for Vidic leaving also and it's going to take Van Gaal spending another 150 million before it can be fixed

amolbhatia50k

Might as well play Rooney there then, with Van Persie and Welbeck up top.
Oddly, out of all our number 10s, Kagawa is probably the closest to a proper number 10.

Mata needs to get more involved. In this system we play, you can't have a number 10, who waits for the game to come to him as much as he does.

m1y2

he should have played more centrally, him and Herrera couldnt get enough on the ball. Hernandez and Rooney shocking ball technique didnt help them to do so. we desperately need Welbeck who is intelligent one-two team player who can light up play around him.

RooneyLegend

Oddly, out of all our number 10s, Kagawa is probably the closest to a proper number 10.

Mata needs to get more involved. In this system we play, you can't have a number 10, who waits for the game to come to him as much as he does.
id say Januzaj is the only proper playmaker in the team. Kagawa has the tools, but ive never seen him apply them in that way.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He looked decent at the start of the second half. But agreed he needs to get on the ball more often. However, I think the speed of our build up play was very slow and we wasn't able to stretch the opposition, mata would thrive in this number 10 role if we played with a much higher tempo.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Was the logical choice to go off when Fellaini came on. Not even his set pieces were good today. Very disappointing.

Zoo

Januzaj's directness, ball-carrying ability and speed is more suited to the number 10 role in this system. You'd still expect a lot more from Mata though.

Roboc7

Good player but a player we didn't need, not convinced that mata/Rooney/RVP will work all together and it means we can't play our next best attacking player januzaj. Think LVG is going to have to have to abandon playing these 3 altogether because of the lack of pace, mata in particular needs movement and pace around him to be effective and we don't really have any in our midfield or attack. Would make more sense to sign a quality winger, play januzaj and leave one of mata/Rooney/RVP on the bench.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Good player but a player we didn't need, not convinced that mata/Rooney/RVP will work all together and it means we can't play our next best attacking player januzaj. Think LVG is going to have to have to abandon playing these 3 altogether because of the lack of pace, mata in particular needs movement and pace around him to be effective and we don't really have any in our midfield or attack. Would make more sense to sign a quality winger, play januzaj and leave one of mata/Rooney/RVP on the bench.
He aint leaving Rooney on the bench. He is the team's captain.

kps88

He's had a poor last two games but he's the least of our problems. Sort out what's behind him and he will automatically play better.

RedOldBoy

He's had a poor last two games but he's the least of our problems. Sort out what's behind him and he will automatically play better.
This. Mata needs to pay with a strong backbone rather than part of that backbone.

RuudTom83

Not his best game for Mata today, but United failed to play like a "team" so Mata/Herrera look lost or anonymous.

Whereas Rooney can be having an awful game but still manage to produce something from nowhere, because that is what makes Rooney special.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I think his displays for United echo pretty much the half season he had with Jose, they have been rather lacklustre with people desperately trying to make out everything he does is wondrous or somehow justified.

I love the guy, and I love his personality, but I think his time with us was slightly overhyped. He was our best player, but during a seasons in which we performed fairly poorly.

I dont think he is playing in the incorrect position or reeks of the stench of Moyes, I think this is what you get, a talented, presentable and lovely player but one that has flaws in his game.

Today he was one of the poorest on the pitch for you guys.

itso 7

Yes Mata, RvP and Rooney are our best players but as individuals whilst to win consistently we need to play the best team not necessarily the best players. I my book none of them should be guaranteed a starting spot but should fight for their place like everyone else.
Right now we need to sign a DM, a CB and possibly a winger. If we get those signings done we should play 4-3-3 and damn whoever can not get in.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Mata was perfectly willing to drop and make himself involved under Moyes. He would constantly come back to move the ball on but has seemingly done that less and less with each passing game under Van Gaal.

Are we sure that these aren't instructions? If he's got a 'free' role now, maybe we don't want him to be tracking runs or contributing defensively; it's possible that Van Gaal wants to keep him further up the pitch ready to receive it.

This isn't to excuse his performance today, because he was poor. Just as to whether or not he needs to purposely get involved, are we sure that wouldn't simply be for the sake of getting him on the ball - even though in those players there is very little he can do with it except move it on.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Yes Mata, RvP and Rooney are our best players but as individuals whilst to win consistently we need to play the best team not necessarily the best players. I my book none of them should be guaranteed a starting spot but should fight for their place like everyone else.
Right now we need to sign a DM, a CB and possibly a winger. If we get those signings done we should play 4-3-3 and damn whoever can not get in.
DDG is better than all three, in fact I actually think hes your best player, Closely followed by RVP.

itso 7

DDG is better than all three, in fact I actually think hes your best player, Closely followed by RVP.
Still the point stands we need to play the most balanced team that has both guile and mobility. Passing the ball side ways whilst both are standing still is easy to defend against.

RedOldBoy

Anonymous today, he needs to be a talisman for the team; create chances, encourage a faster tempo and pass more accurately. I hope he doesn't turn out to be one of those luxury players. I can see Kagawa starting the next match.

rpitchfo

Them problem isn't mata ( we know he's a great player) or Kagawa or Rooney (when he plays deeper) it's the players around them. United don't have the players to compliment creative players. Until we change the players who give them the ball and who expect to receive it playermakers and creative players will continue to be underwhelming at united.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Them problem isn't mata ( we know he's a great player) or Kagawa or Rooney (when he plays deeper) it's the players around them. United don't have the players to compliment creative players. Until we change the players who give them the ball and who expect to receive it playermakers and creative players will continue to be underwhelming at united.
Is he? A good player who shone two seasons ago. He needs to repay the big fee pretty soon. I think he's a quality player but he's not looked right since signing for United.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
This is the problem though. Some people do not want to blame the players at all. Mata had a poor game, not because of the players around him, not because of his position but because he isnt playing at the level he can play at. Its so easy to look at players on paper and assume any player labelled 'great' can only not be great if its someone elses fault.

amolbhatia50k

I wonder if a case can be made for Mata to be part of the front two rather than the number 10. He doesn't get involved nearly as much as you'd want your number 10 to, but he's brilliant in advanced positions.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Time will tell if Mourinho was right to sell him
I think time (and Mourinho) has already told.

Mata was the first pick in my FF team as he will get me decent points in both assists and more importantly goals. But if they are started awarding (or dropping) points for off the ball work he'd be the first one out of my team. He was the same last season, but his stats would cover a multitude of sins.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
To get the best out of Mata you play him in the number 10 role, and free him of any defensive responsibilities. This is the same player who not so long ago scored 20 goals and 30+ assists for us in 2012/13.

As a creative midfielder he's sublime, great passing range, good finisher, technically brilliant (best first touch in the league) and dangerous from set pieces, but he just doesn't have the pace, strength, stamina or work rate to be running up and down the pitch to cover the deficiencies in the rest of the midfield.

Mourinho let him go for that alone. Oscar offers more off the ball, though he's not quite replicating his Brazil form for us as an attacking force, and unfortunately Mata was the most expendable of our attacking trio.

Letting him go to Utd is still questionable, he'd be pulling all the strings had he moved to Utd with Ferguson in charge. Probably best to give Van Gaal a bit of time to start getting the best out of Mata, i'm sure he'll be beefing up the midfield/defence after todays performance.

amolbhatia50k

I think time (and Mourinho) has already told.

Mata was the first pick in my FF team as he will get me decent points in both assists and more importantly goals. But if they are started awarding (or dropping) points for off the ball work he'd be the first one out of my team. He was the same last season, but his stats would cover a multitude of sins.
For a Mourinho team, yes. He simply doesn't run around enough for his teams. But for other teams, depending on how he is used, Mata can be devastatingly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.