• Lindgard
  • Herrera
  • Rooney
  • Schneiderlin
  • Fellaini
  • Blind
  • Smalling
  • Young
Mata is slow, weak, and cowardly. Usually going for the safe square pass, very rarely manages to dribble past players or defend the ball. He is a huge money waste and would fit better in a slower league such as Serie A.
Herrera and Fellaini better than Mata this last season? Wow. :lol:

Rooney and Young are also wrong.

Gasolin

Mata isn't a technical wizard, that's been evident since he's signed for us. Silva and Iniesta are the players you are describing, Mata is more about goals and now we have a player in Miki that has pace, goals and creativity.
So bring Mata in the middle behind the front 3. If you really think Mata is not at Silva level at least on the ball, your memory is tricking you. He has fantastic control and passing ability. His shooting is good as well.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Its just 2 indy type twitter accounts and betting patterns that is leading to these rumours I think

Bojan11

Why would Mata go to Everton? Valencia would take him back. I'm sure he's been linked with Atletico in the past too.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Should keep him for a season at least.
I have a feeling that if he leaves it won't be because Mourinho asked him to leave, rather he decided to as a 28 year old who's just seen a manager who benched and sold him before sign a marquee player who plays in his position.

Fair enough too.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's shown he has excellent technique with some brilliant first touches and goals over the years but I feel his passing is very overrated. He opts for the easy pass the majority of the time and when he does go for the killer pass or a long range one it is 50/50 on how well it's weighted. Most of the time, I feel he's either underhit or overhit the pass leaving the attacker with more to do than he should have in terms of keeping it under control.

It was particularly evident in a game last season at home (I can't remember which) where we were losing and Mata decided to try and dictate the game from deep and just completely failed. If he wasn't passing the ball sideways he was giving it away with poor passes. Maybe it was due to not having runners off the ball as our movement under van Gaal was non-existent at times, but that didn't excuse some of the awful passes he made, and the fact he didn't create anything.

I mean, di Maria was on another level in terms of wastefulness but at least he created a decent to good goalscoring chance a game; something I've rarely seen from Mata at his time here. The one time I've felt he's done a decent job at that was against Southampton at home in a 1-0 loss ironically. It was like the complete opposite of the Mata of norm in that he had a real grip on the game and was dictating it, but was incredibly wasteful infront of goal missing 3 good opportunities. Away to Wolfsburg he was pretty good, too, but was bizarrely subbed off for Powell.

He's just not good enough to be a primary playmaker for a top team in my opinion. Though, I'd still like to see us keep him for another season at least.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I have a feeling that if he leaves it won't be because Mourinho asked him to leave, rather he decided to as a 28 year old who's just seen a manager who benched and sold him before sign a marquee player who plays in his position.

Fair enough too.
You also have to look at losing his place in the Spain squad, so would want to be playing all the time to have a chance of getting back in. Not being at the Euros will have hurt his pride.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Better players for United than mata the past season:
  • Martial
  • Rashford
  • Lindgard
  • Herrera
  • Rooney
  • Schneiderlin
  • Fellaini
  • Blind
  • Smalling
  • Young
Mata is slow, weak, and cowardly. Usually going for the safe square pass, very rarely manages to dribble past players or defend the ball. He is a huge money waste and would fit better in a slower league such as Serie A.
Fecking hell.

He's been better than most in that list. Quite odd you say he usually goes for square safe passes when he's created the same as (or more than) Martial (source: Squaka).

AndyJ1985

With the additions of Zlatan and Mkhitaryan our first choice attack is strong, but a couple injuries where would we turn to if Mata is sold? I think it'd be careless to get rid of him this summer. I'd keep him another season until we can continue to strengthen next year.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
With the additions of Zlatan and Mkhitaryan our first choice attack is strong, but a couple injuries where would we turn to if Mata is sold? I think it'd be careless to get rid of him this summer. I'd keep him another season until we can continue to strengthen next year.
Agree. Aside from the wages we're paying him (which shouldn't be a problem anyway given our resources) there's no real upside to selling Mata if he's happy to stay, at least until we're in a stronger position.

Vanya

IMO Mata shrinks on big occasions and hasn't justified his price tag. One only has to compare him to the likes of Ozil to realize that he's been quite underwhelming given that he cost us nearly 40 million (only 5 million less than ozil) and had the tag of being Chelsea's POTY. If a club offers the right price, we should sell him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
IMO Mata shrinks on big occasions and hasn't justified his price tag. One only has to compare him to the likes of Ozil to realize that he's been quite underwhelming given that he cost us nearly 40 million (only 5 million less than ozil) and had the tag of being Chelsea's POTY. If a club offers the right price, we should sell him.
Because Ozil never shrinks on the big occasion?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
  • Martial
  • Rashford
  • Lindgard
  • Herrera
  • Rooney
  • Schneiderlin
  • Fellaini
  • Blind
  • Smalling
  • Young
This post is BS

Vanya

Because Ozil never shrinks on the big occasion?
Please re-read what I've written. I'm referring to the meager return from our 37 million pound, then club record signing. Ozil on the other hand has been a success at Arsenal.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Fair enough too.
Yup, a lot like with what van Gaal did with Hernandez/Welbeck et al. I can see Mourinho doing the same. 'If you stay, you're x choice and will be spending most time on the bench.' Decision is yours type of thing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Please re-read what I've written. I'm referring to the meager return from our 37 million pound, then club record signing. Ozil on the other hand has been a success at Arsenal.
I know. I'm just pointing out that one of the things you accuse Mata of doing is also an accusation that regularly gets levelled at Ozil.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yup, a lot like with what van Gaal did with Hernandez/Welbeck et al. I can see Mourinho doing the same. 'If you stay, you're x choice and will be spending most time on the bench.' Decision is yours type of thing.
I doubt it's even been anything that personal. Just a message to all players confirming that he isn't going to be looking to offload anyone before he's had a chance to see them train and that they'll all be fighting for their place. Mata is the only one with history and a fair idea of what is to come for him.

dichinero

• Martial
  • Rashford
  • Lindgard
  • Herrera
  • Rooney
  • Schneiderlin
  • Fellaini
  • Blind
  • Smalling
  • Young
The Caf is officially a breeding ground for comedians!

ChaddyP

• Martial
  • Rashford
  • Lindgard
  • Herrera
  • Rooney
  • Schneiderlin
  • Fellaini
  • Blind
  • Smalling
  • Young
should add Januzaj and Wilson to that list, would make it more believable

Vanya

I know. I'm just pointing out that one of the things you accuse Mata of doing is also an accusation that regularly gets levelled at Ozil.
Ozil makes up for it in all the other games while Mata doesn't. It's as simple as that. Any comparison between the two is futile. For nearly 40 million you expect the quality, performance and stats that Ozil delivers.

anant

Ozil makes up for it in all the other games while Mata doesn't. It's as simple as that. Any comparison between the two is futile. For nearly 40 million you expect the quality, performance and stats that Ozil delivers.
Just to point out regarding your point regarding stats, Mata scored last season than Ozil. So its just assists Ozil delivers, and iirc Mata's were more the season before

Red_toad

Agree. Aside from the wages we're paying him (which shouldn't be a problem anyway given our resources) there's no real upside to selling Mata if he's happy to stay, at least until we're in a stronger position.
No real upside? Getting an under performing player off the books is always a bonus. He's going to be 3rd or 4th choice for right wing or no 10 role, so really what's the point of keeping him?
Jose simply won't play him unless we suffer a complete injury crisis. So what is the upside of keeping him?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Can't imagine him staying past this next season. He isn't a Mourinho player.

Vanya

Just to point out regarding your point regarding stats, Mata scored last season than Ozil. So its just assists Ozil delivers, and iirc Mata's were more the season before

"It's just assists that Ozil delivers" is a surprising statement. Firstly you undermine his contribution and you neglect the role he plays as a permanent fixture in the starting XI of Arsenal which cannot be quantified.

As far as stats are concerned, you chose to ignore that Ozil played less games than Mata the season before. So if you look at per game or per 90 min contributions Ozil is ahead of Mata in every respect (excluding goals) I.e. In key passes, assists and attack score (squawka).

It's clear for anyone who watches the game a) Mata has been an average singing while Ozil has been a success at Arsenal (so far) b) Ozil has always been the superior player (most assists in the last 5 yrs in all the top5 leagues in Europe)

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
  • Martial
  • Rashford
  • Lindgard
  • Herrera
  • Rooney
  • Schneiderlin
  • Fellaini
  • Blind
  • Smalling
  • Young
Only Martial was better.

Rashford played barely a third of the season, and fell away after that lightening start (still better than Mata).

Blind and Smalling were nothing special, good seasons, not much more.

The rest were inconsistent.

Minimalist

Wouldn't be surprised if he left, for obvious reasons. However I would side with the people who see his value and would like him stay.

He has weaknesses but he's still one of the few players in the squad with outstanding technique and short passing. Putting aside his knack for goals and assists. I guess it's also whether a club makes a cheeky offer to take him off our hands.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Ozil has been underwhelming during his time at Arsenal. He had one good period until January, this year, of around 6 months, in a better and more cohesive team than ours.

Ozil for Arsenal: 22 goals and 46 assists in 113 starts.
Mata for United: 28 goals and 17 assists in 89 starts.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I don't really know what to think of Mata. He just hasn't delivered in his time here, but that is also due to the managers he's played under and their tumescent style of football. He obviously is a big talent, but he needs to prove to Jose that he deserves to be here.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He's just not that good. He shouldn't be considered one of the better players, if the squad is to the appropriate standard. He wouldn't get into any top side, and I can't see any top managers playing him very much.

His biggest assets are his shooting and final pass (once he's been played in behind a defence)
But there are a number of players who offer that and quite a bit more.

The fact that he has a nice first touch and good close control is pretty much negated by the fact he can't use that control to beat a man, shield the ball, or move the forward.

Everton genuinely is more his level, to be honest. For a top team, he's merely an impact substitute.

anant

"It's just assists that Ozil delivers" is a surprising statement. Firstly you undermine his contribution and you neglect the role he plays as a permanent fixture in the starting XI of Arsenal which cannot be quantified.

As far as stats are concerned, you chose to ignore that Ozil played less games than Mata the season before. So if you look at per game or per 90 min contributions Ozil is ahead of Mata in every respect (excluding goals) I.e. In key passes, assists and attack score (squawka).

It's clear for anyone who watches the game a) Mata has been an average singing while Ozil has been a success at Arsenal (so far) b) Ozil has always been the superior player (most assists in the last 5 yrs in all the top5 leagues in Europe)
I don't disagree that Ozil is the better player. Its just that you said ozil has been better even statistically, which isn't true which Di Maria's Angel pointed out as well

dichinero

Ozil has been underwhelming during his time at Arsenal. He had one good period until January, this year, of around 6 months, in a better and more cohesive team than ours.

Ozil for Arsenal: 22 goals and 46 assists in 113 starts.
Mata for United: 28 goals and 17 assists in 89 starts.
With stats like this given the situations he has been, how can you not see that he has been obviously influential. While he may not be a first XI player I'd definitely rather want him as a squad player over Fellaini and Rooney.

204Red

• Martial
  • Rashford
  • Lindgard
  • Herrera
  • Rooney
  • Schneiderlin
  • Fellaini
  • Blind
  • Smalling
  • Young
I love how DeGea didn't make the list

Status
Not open for further replies.