Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He needs to stop playing on the right.
He's better on the right and has spent the bulk of his career on the flanks. The incessant moaning about him playing on the right needs to stop. He barely even sticks to the right in any case and is generally very underwhelming when starting through the middle.

Complaining about him playing on the right today is just taking the piss given the positions he took up.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Doesn't offer anywhere near enough for a side with our ambitions.

Too slow, extremely weak, can't dribble, inconsistent crossing and not that creative.

Sylar

TBH, hes only good for us if were going to play 4231 (and hes part of the 3 or we play 4411 and hes the 1 behind the striker). For the counter attack style of a true 433 or 442, I dont think he has a place.

Granted he was part of our best run last season when we played 433 but for some reason we dont seem to be doing the obvious of trying to replicate that (with Tony, Herrera and Mata forming the right triangle).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's class when playing as a 10 in a faster paced, direct style. He's not suited at all to a slow possession game, which is funny because he is a very good passer and is so slow himself. But when the game is slow, it is congested and he can't weave between players or pick out an opening and play little give and go's. He needs to have runners around him, space to work in so he can play passes into them. He's actually similar to Rooney kind of in the position and play style that best suits him. Still only room for one of them, just like there was when Kagawa was here with Rooney and after when we signed Mata. We can't have both in the starting 11 otherwise we become too slow and lopsided in our attacking.

Not sure what's going to happen to him when Mourinho comes... It'll be both funny and sad if he sells him right away, as there is a brilliant player in there, he just needs to be utilized correctly and I don't think that'll happen at United. Put him in Arsenal and he'd look class (though not as good as Ozil). Hell I'm sure he'd be class if he went back to a big team in spain. Just premier league and United specifically doesn't suit him because of his lack of pace and any strength.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's class when playing as a 10 in a faster paced, direct style. He's not suited at all to a slow possession game, which is funny because he is a very good passer and is so slow himself. But when the game is slow, it is congested and he can't weave between players or pick out an opening and play little give and go's. He needs to have runners around him, space to work in so he can play passes into them. He's actually similar to Rooney kind of in the position and play style that best suits him. Still only room for one of them, just like there was when Kagawa was here with Rooney and after when we signed Mata. We can't have both in the starting 11 otherwise we become too slow and lopsided in our attacking.

Not sure what's going to happen to him when Mourinho comes... It'll be both funny and sad if he sells him right away, as there is a brilliant player in there, he just needs to be utilized correctly and I don't think that'll happen at United. Put him in Arsenal and he'd look class (though not as good as Ozil). Hell I'm sure he'd be class if he went back to a big team in spain. Just premier league and United specifically doesn't suit him because of his lack of pace and any strength.
Agree with almost everything, except Rooney and Mata can't be playing simultaneously

Treble

Reminds me of Berba to an extent. Both record signings, both very good technically and quite intelligent, both had great games vs Liverpool, both lack a bit of pace and aggression, both a bit underwhelming...Berba played for a better team and contributed to two titles and some other cups and finals. Mata will hopefully win the FA Cup.

Born2Lose

For me this is the sort of game where Mata has no excuses, it should be the perfect stage for him to rack up some assists if not goals.

It's funny how the whole world and his dog can see how badly Hazard has played this season, but statistically he creates 2.81 chances per 90 minutes played against Mata's 1.68.

People really need to be honest and ask themselves were we better yesterday for Mata being in the team, or was the West Ham performance and indictment of how little influence a £37m player has provided.

Last edited:

saivet

Didn't watch the game, only saw MOTD but he seemed to be involved/created most of the chances we had.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
For me this is the sort of game where Mata has no excuses, it should be the perfect stage for him to rack up some assists if not goals.

It's funny how the whole world and his dog can see how badly Hazard has played this season, but statistically he creates 2.81 chances per 90 minutes played against Mata's 1.68.

People really need to be honest and ask themselves were we better yesterday for Mata being in the team, or was the West Ham performance and indictment of how little influence a £37m player has provided.
Probably because Chelsea are better at attacking than us?

Even whilst being garbage all season, they've managed to score more than us.

Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace

Devil may care

He was ok I thought, tried to move it a bit quicker but it was awkward having him and Rooney playing square of each other as supposed #8's when neither have pace or mobility to outmaneuver the opposition or support the striker.

kundalini

Another match in which Mata did ok without ever looking like he deserves to be a permanent fixture in the team. Completed 80 out of 84 passes. 2 shots on target. Created one opportunity.

Rossa

I actually thought he was really good today alongside Rooney - both were good, equally so. Mata ran around a lot and put in a decent defensive shift, I thought. His passing was really good as well. How much ground did he cover?

Norris

Good game. Carried on from the one against Villa I felt. Kept finding the runs of Valencia, Lingard in good positions. But he needs to find himself closer to the penalty area. It's been too long since he had an assist/goal.

I know people here say he has no pace, no real physical strength, but his tracking back is pretty underrated. I remember reading somewhere that he covers the most distance among the United players in average. Saw a bit of that today.

Dobbs

I'm a fan, he did alright but he'll have to do better. They were terrible tonight and a player of his quality should be doing more.

anant

Felt he was pretty good today. His 1 touch passes are simply outstanding. Although, shouldn't be on wings taking part in overlap runs. Him giving the pass is fine but he shouldn't be the one chasing those

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
The commentator said he's got ONE goal/assist in the last 22 matches!

Is he not in the team to produce things and make stuff happen? Terrific guy, but ultimately a rather pointless player really.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I find it hard to judge Mata, because he's played for two shit United managers. One was a clueless idiot who'd long lost the dressing room by the time Mata came, and the other's an arrogant deluded idiot who's got us playing non-existent attacking football.

He's had his moments, is an intelligent pass-and-move footballer and is a relatively good goalscorer so I suspect we'll always be wondering about what-ifs.

Norris

Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata admitted he would gladly take a pay cut if it meant football became less of a business.

Appearing on Spanish news show Salvados, Mata was quizzed about all aspects of his football career - not just what happens on the pitch.

The Spain international said he could empathise with fans who are against modern football as money-hungry owners and officials continue to plague the world game.

"I can understand what [the fans] are referencing. In the business of football, it seems the owners are more important than the supporters," the 27-year-old said.

"It is nothing like the football of old, where there was not such a media involvement, or people with so many vested interests.

"I don't enjoy the business side of football. I love the game, I love training and competing.

"I'd happily take a pay cut if there was less business involvement in the sport.

"At this level we're very well paid and sometimes you get to thinking that there really isn't much of a difference between x and x+3."

Mata admitted he earns an "obscene" amount of money compared to the real world and revealed it concerns him about just how protected he is.

"My first professional contract was at Real Madrid Castilla. I was 18-years-old and I think I earned something like 90,000 euros a year," he said.

"Football is very well remunerated at this level. It's like we live in a bubble. With respect to the rest of society, we earn a ridiculous amount. It's unfathomable.

"With respect to the world of football, I earn a normal wage. But compared to 99.9 per cent of Spain and the rest of the world, I earn an obscene amount.

"I live in [a bubble]. Real life is the one my friends live. They've had to look for work, sign on to the dole and emigrate. That's normal life now. My life as a footballer is not normal.

"It scares me sometimes to think about just how protected I am. The smallest problem and someone will come and fix it for me. That's one of the aspects in which we don't live a normal life."
http://www.aol.co.uk/sport/2016/04/...ut-for-football-to-become-less-of-a-business/

All those transfer talk about players made me post this. It's frightening to see how much Mata earned at Madrid's B side.

Varun

Staff
Have to admire his honesty. Not many players would come out and say something like that.
Yup, the last line in particular is so true. It isn't just about the money they name, they have someone assigned to take care of everything facet of life.

anant

Norris

Have to admire his humility. One of the many reasons why I love him and Herrera. They actually look at football as fans and take efforts to connect with them.
Well, in part I have to agree. But then I remember some video that popped up last year or so where he didn't celebrate with the fans when others did or something. I don't remember the exact incident, but it sort of left a bad taste in my mouth.

jem

Well, in part I have to agree. But then I remember some video that popped up last year or so where he didn't celebrate with the fans when others did or something. I don't remember the exact incident, but it sort of left a bad taste in my mouth.
I have never heard anything about that, and frankly don't believe it.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I like Mata as a personality. Seems really humble and nice. But as a player he's been a huge disappointment. I used to think of him as an artiste, but aside from some nice close control, and the odd (very odd) good goal, he's just been a nothing player since he arrived. He does close to nothing every time I watch him play. For an attacking player, he's useless. He honestly looks like he's accidentally left the handbrake on when he's running. He's such a little guy, and so weak on the ball, you'd expect him to be quite nippy, but physically he's just puny. Honestly, if he's going to be that slow, he needs to be strong on the ball to make his talent shine. A complete waste of 37M, and a sign of our desperation when we signed him. I imagine he'll be gone next season, and I hope he goes somewhere and does really well. Back to Spain I imagine.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
He's a very good player who deserves to be starting for a very good team, but in this particular team, I think most of us would agree that we need a change towards a more dynamic style of player and he feels like hinders that.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I don't get it anymore. Juan Mata at Chelsea was magical at times. He's had some good/decent performances here at United but you all know what I am saying. We haven't seen a run of magical performances that we saw back around 20012. Is it the team composition? Is it the playing style?

Perrick Dubois

I don't get it anymore. Juan Mata at Chelsea was magical at times. He's had some good/decent performances here at United but you all know what I am saying. We haven't seen a run of magical performances that we saw back around 20012. Is it the team composition? Is it the playing style?
He's a floater in a system player (much like Rooney) and this is a completely rigid system where every moving piece has to perform a mobile role. He'll never work under Van Gaal, much the same way Rooney up front won't.

Drifter

American
Seemed to suggest on BBC Five Live this morning that he'll be here next season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have a feeling Mourinho wouldn't get rid even if he came. Still has two years left on his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.