6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

All good but your ultimate example of him missing in a big game is away to Spurs?
Agree on everything else, if he'll work in a system like he did vs Leicester and be motivated, which he'll surely will be, he'll be a great asset.
Just meant that there has been a lot of angst on here often directed at Mata in a lot of the tough away games especially that the team got thumped in in the last couple of years and that's why Van Gaal often opted for more dynamic physical players sometimes in the games in the place of Mata. Mata has definitely been performing more consistently though this season than at any time before so maybe we'll see the best of him this season...He's a joy to watch when he's on song

dichinero

No disrespect to Juan but Leicester seemed like they were more focused on the Porto game a few days later. Mata is a wonderful player in the team but he does usually go missing in the biggest games against the biggest teams. I fully expect the knives to be out for him again in October if we get a bad result away to Liverpool or Chelsea and Juan has another stinker in a big game.......But for many games of the season (especially most home games) he will be a huge asset to have
I'm guessing we also lost to City cos we had the EL on our minds too?

Jaybomb

No disrespect to Juan but Leicester seemed like they were more focused on the Porto game a few days later. Mata is a wonderful player in the team but he does usually go missing in the biggest games against the biggest teams. I fully expect the knives to be out for him again in October if we get a bad result away to Liverpool or Chelsea and Juan has another stinker in a big game.......But for many games of the season (especially most home games) he will be a huge asset to have
Thats not true at all. He's scored in plenty of big games for us... Liverpool and City for example.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Thats not true at all. He's scored in plenty of big games for us... Liverpool and City for example.
I thought that was a strange criticism. Mata's generally performs well in big games.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anytime in the last 2 and a half seasons he has been here there has been a huge Juan love-in when he turns on the style but then a week later in a big game say away to Spurs or something then he's often completely anonymous and often the focus of blame and anger......but Jose will use him right......I think Jose will play Fellaini instead of Mata in the big away games to Liverpool and Chelsea in October......but Mata seems to be really motivated this season which can only be a good thing
Mata was our best player away at Spurs in 14-15... the first half in particular he ran the show.

Red_Beans

The term "luxury player" does my head I to be honest. Surely Mata's primary job is scoring/assisting goals? He seems to do that quite well.
Is a luxury player someone who cannot defend as well as he attacks? Or is it a player who only performs when playing certain positions in certain systems?

Eddy_JukeZ

The amount of ground he covers since he came here is quite impressive. I don't remember him working off the ball as much when he was at Chelsea.

Vaibhav Raj

The term "luxury player" does my head I to be honest. Surely Mata's primary job is scoring/assisting goals? He seems to do that quite well.
Is a luxury player someone who cannot defend as well as he attacks? Or is it a player who only performs when playing certain positions in certain systems?
Luxury player (almost exclusively attributed to attackers), according to me, is someone who looks good when the whole team is playing good. But when the team is under pressure and/or is trailing, the player doesn't have it in him to step up and do something out of nothing and change the game. Mata does suit that definition very perfectly. Over the years he has almost always been the first one to be substituted when the team is trailing and that is for a reason.

He is having a good game out there. His touch is good and is keeping the team ticking. I am not criticizing his performance at all. I am only giving you the definition since you asked for one. As long as Pogba is hitting those pin point balls, Rashford and Lingard are moving around and creating space and Zlatan with his great first touch is helping the build up, Mata will give us nothing to complain about and will excel at his job.

Last edited:

madRedDevil07

I thought he was okay. Missed a golden chance to score, did not create any clear cut openings. I would expect more from my #10 in an Europa league match.

Devil may care

Much like with Pogba his game was effected by having to keep coming deeper, but overall I thought he had a decent first half.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Did his disappearing trick again, forgot he was on the field after half time honestly.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Did his disappearing trick again, forgot he was on the field after half time honestly.
Yeah, because Fosu-Mensah used The Force and pulled that ball to himself when he made the cross that resulted in our goal.

LouisDanGaal

I thought he was man of the match, had a couple of really nice bits of play and nothing poor, that's about the best anyone did tonight.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
A pretty good outing with some neat passes, one of our best players tonight imo.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Will perform as long as you surround him with pace on both sides. Compensates what he lacks in physical pace with quickness of thought.

In a team with rashford(mkhi) martial on either side and Herrera behind him he will constantly perform I think.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Saw only the 1st half, felt he was better than most players on the pitch

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Quote the Mata

"My relationship with Mourinho has never been bad," the 28-year-old explained on Cope on Thursday night.

"Many lies were told about me and Mourinho when he arrived at the club this summer and it bothered me that every day I had to read and listen to rumours that weren't true - with him I'm fine.

Shows what the press know aye? Always figured he wouldn't be going anywhere this summer, and I'm really glad he hasn't.

Devil may care

Needs to start on Sunday in the same position, no more of this RW shit, his link up with Ibra and Pogba is starting to grow.

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
Thought Mata was the only player who could have made things happen last night. Was my man of the match.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's been very good this season. I really like him in this role where he basically drops back into midfield to form a three but also creates. It's given a certain authority to his game and makes sense how safe he is in possession.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Amazing. Such a lovely guy, reminds me of Solskjaer....

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have no idea why we took him off, I thought he was playing well and kept us moving quickly in the final 3rd.
Exactly. Of the front 3, if there was someone who should've been subbed, it was Rashford!

Status
Not open for further replies.