Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His touch has always been outstanding. Don't remember whether it was last season or beginning of this season, but the way he bought down the ball on the left side of the pitch and then turned (which resulted in a goal?) was absolutely sublime

Donut

I'm pretty sure he made a very similar (a bit longer) volleyed pass for Chelsea once?

Kearnkoff69

Was very, very good. That volleyed pass had real shades of Silva's pass against us in the 6-1 monstrosity. Immaculate #10 play.

Devil may care

Him and Pogba were at the center of our best attacking play, switching him out for Fellaini will make it harder for us to score in the big games.

Ash_G

Just a shame today that a lot of his chances seemed to fall on to his right foot. Once we get the wide attackers sorted and get them making more consistent forward runs I think he'll really shine. His main problem now is where Pogba is going to end up. It seems though that Mou is looking to play him box to box most games which is good for Mata.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Mata is one of the few players on our team who is always constantly passing and moving. Whenever we have some nice plays with great touches and flick-ons he is always at the centre of it.
Im amazed that some dont see that and dont see how important it is.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Won the match for us. I said in the post-match thread - we weren't as great as the scoreline would suggest and it really boiled down to those two penalties. The first was a great ball from Carrick, but it was Mata that brought it down. Not all players can do that. Then the second was all Mata. What a pass. Shame he couldn't top off the performance by finishing that chance.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Deserved to score tonight for all his efforts. Anyway, glad he showed up tonight after being on the bench vs Pool.

Hugs Juan:drool:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His touch has always been outstanding. Don't remember whether it was last season or beginning of this season, but the way he bought down the ball on the left side of the pitch and then turned (which resulted in a goal?) was absolutely sublime
Martial vs Everton.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Funny how one of our slowest players are the one most capable of increasing our speed of play.

Just wish there was some way to include him in the big matches, a double pivot of Herrera and Pogba just isn't enough defensively, we need either mop head or Carrick in there as well with Pogba occupying the place Mata should have.

Jaybomb

He was immense tonight. Would have loved him to score those 2 chances.

It's funny that people continue to leave them out of their "preferred starting 11's" when it's blatantly obvious that we play our best football when he's on the pitch. I don't understand how people can't see the difference. When we're playing well, Mata's on the pitch and when we're playing bad... surprise surprise, Mata is sitting on the bench.

That can't be a coincidence.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout

It's funny that people continue to leave them out of their "preferred starting 11's" when it's blatantly obvious that we play our best football when he's on the pitch. I don't understand how people can't see the difference. When we're playing well, Mata's on the pitch and when we're playing bad... surprise surprise, Mata is sitting on the bench.

What he said.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Funny how one of our slowest players are the one most capable of increasing our speed of play.
The ball is faster than the player and the mind is even quicker again.

He needs to start in the big games. I'm hoping Mkhitarayan comes in and owns that right wing because the link up play will be mouthwatering.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Great on and off the pitch, and great to see that he didn't down tools when Maureen arrived.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Is correct.

Sylar

Yep, we tend to go for "pace" in the big games, like City for example. But it was a mistake. Mata, whilst not the quickest, is good with the ball and allows us to move up the pitch cos of that. Hes good under pressure and releases the ball when needed.
Shame he didnt score cos he warranted it, but hes becoming really key for us. Like him through the middle because regardless, it allows him to roam around and picks up those spaces when a midfielder needs a pass out.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The consistency of his passing annoys me so much. He's capable of some amazing passes like the one for our 2nd goal today, but, more often than not, he gets the weight of the pass wrong. I've seen him overhit or underhit so many passes in good areas, and just hit sloppy ones giving it away cheaply when we're knocking it around in the build-up phase, and it's especially annoying because he's capable of world class ones like the one yesterday.

I'm not criticising his performance yesterday because I thought he did excellent; just a general aspect of his game. I actually think he's been one of, if not our best outfield player so far this season, which I wasn't expecting as I've been very disappointed in him during his time here.

suheilsworld

He floated on that pitch again when he took that ball as he won the first penalty. Reminded me of the gif around here where he elegantly glided on the tpich while collecting a high ball. How does he do that!! :confused:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

He needs to start in the big games. I'm hoping Mkhitarayan comes in and owns that right wing because the link up play will be mouthwatering.
Miki right, martial left, mata, herrera and pogba midfield with ibra up top :drool:
Thats just having our best technical and smartest players on the pitch, cant see it not working. Hell, even throw Blind at center back for Smalling and it would be the entire team having great ability on the ball and nobody holding the team back on a technical point.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

He is a class player, always has been and he is also one of those players that works a bit in the shadows and contributes a lot "unseen", but is also capable of the highlight reel moments.

Not having a dig at Rooney here, as he was actually much improved yesterday, but there is just no way he should start ahead of Mata right now.

Also i really hope we play 433 soon with Mata as RW and Herrera at RCM. Those two have an almost telepathic understanding and it always produces some delicious football.

SomeRandomPerson

Same. Mata, Herrera, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Zlatan and Rashford/Lingard/Martial linking up could be liquid football. Throw Blind in there somewhere, and maybe Valencia learns how to cross again (Valencia's general link up play has always been good) and United are at least fun to watch again. Fingers crossed the results will follow.

Dobbs

I think Mata, Pogba and Herrera is defensively enough for most of our games. The possession we'll have is more protection than the alternative option of a defensive midfielder.

I actually thought he was a bit up and down last night. He did the difficult bits brilliantly. The stuff he'd normally find easy he fluffed a bit. Would have been some performance had he not.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think Mata, Pogba and Herrera is defensively enough for most of our games. The possession we'll have is more protection than the alternative option of a defensive midfielder.

I actually thought he was a bit up and down last night. He did the difficult bits brilliantly. The stuff he'd normally find easy he fluffed a bit. Would have been some performance had he not.
He started off poorly. Messing up simple passes and looked well off the pace. He grew into the game, though. That pass was sensational.

ottosec

He's been playing really well since he was moved in the middle, I hope he starts against Chelsea.

itso 7

Yep, we tend to go for "pace" in the big games, like City for example.
But it was a mistake. Mata, whilst not the quickest, is good with the ball and allows us to move up the pitch cos of that. Hes good under pressure and releases the ball when needed.
Shame he didnt score cos he warranted it, but hes becoming really key for us. Like him through the middle because regardless, it allows him to roam around and picks up those spaces when a midfielder needs a pass out.
I think its more primitive than that though, we seem to go for strength which nullifies our creativity which is tatamount to shooting ourselves in the foot. I think Mata in his 'old role' on the right with Rashford up top, Martial on the left ahead of a three men midfield.

wr8_utd

:'(
The two games this season that we've scored 4 goals, Mata has been number 10. Jose's response? Drop Mata!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I've given up on the season. Can't be getting upset over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.