6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Again scoring because of his work rate, enjoying the irony:cool:

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Rooney and Ibrahimovic should adapt his workrate upfront.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Deserves zero credit for what he did with the ball for the goal, he got a 1v1 gifted to him, messed it up, and then got an empty net gifted to him :lol:
But good work rate, and safe on the ball otherwise so 6/10 overall.

Jev

Deserves zero credit for what he did with the ball for the goal, he got a 1v1 gifted to him, messed it up, and then got an empty net gifted to him :lol:
But good work rate, and safe on the ball otherwise so 6/10 overall.
He puts in the numbers, he has done so consistently since he came. Also good movement and some tidy passing. His lay-off to Rooney showed good vision and composure.

Great player. Still thinks he belongs in the starting XI, in Rooney's spot with Henrikh on the right.

Ferguson

He made the run in the first place. Okay the goal was lucky, but if he doesn't make that run and put the defender under pressure then no mistake occurs.

Positive run, positive pass, which led to a goal

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He puts in the numbers, he has done so consistently since he came. Also good movement and some tidy passing. His lay-off to Rooney showed good vision and composure.

Great player. Still thinks he belongs in the starting XI, in Rooney's spot with Henrikh on the right.
I'd definitely rather see Mkhi and Mata (or even Lingard) than Rooney, for sure. And I forgot the lay-off, it was decent. But that goal, if the 2nd rebound hadn't fallen to him, would be a negative mark on his score.

Tiber

Mata really seems to love playing for United, scores lots of goals and works his balls off in every game. Some dont want him to start every match - fair enough. But i dont understand why some United fans outright dislike Mata

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Mata really seems to love playing for United, scores lots of goals and works his balls off in every game. Some dont want him to start every match - fair enough. But i dont understand why some United fans outright dislike Mata
Because they have black, loveless hearts.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Been much better than Rooney today. Would have like to see him stay on and Mkhitaryan on instead of Rooney.

But anyway, good performance.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They weren't hugged enough as children.

Devil may care

Good tenacity for the goal and some decent touches, it's awkward with him, Rooney and Ibra all drifting into the same central spaces, we are still too lopsided.

itso 7

Great game today and, like has been said before, he showed great tenacity for the goal. Given how the match was going that goal was the most important.

JeffBoomTetris

Hardest working attacking player today despite being the least adapted to do so.
Loved those little scurrying legs pressurising Bournemouth's defence into a mistake.

He also played well with Val. The opposite combo of Martial & Shaw wasn't as effective

Acole9

Outstanding
Great to see him proving the doubters wrong yet again, ok the goal was an easy one but his work rate for the team today was something he's been accused of not putting enough into before.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Played well today, problem is he goes missing in large parts of a game and just isn't good enough to dictate a game.

Whilst I love him scoring and having it rubbed in my face, he's just not good enough for us if we want to be the best in Europe.

Lovely chap too.

Jaybomb

Starts first game under Mourinho and gets on the scoresheet.

And everyone said Mourinho hates his guts, blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Because they have black, loveless hearts.
It's a joke, but it's sort of true. Our meagre three years of mediocrity turned a lot of fans into gibbering darkside cockwombles, unable to appreciate even our better players as up to the halcyon imaginary standards of John O'Shea & Darren Fletcher's nostalgic afterbirth...Juan's association with the post-Fergie era has clearly counted against him. Especially when SAF signed non-entities like Shinji Kagawa can be voted the Caf's 39th favorite player...Because...I dunno....The Japanese really hate Norwich? God knows...

He may not have been the pseudo-Iniesta we hoped for, but anyone pretending he's been a flop, or anything less than decent to quite good in his time here, is talking bollocks. A return of 29 goals (more, in fewer games, than his time at Chelsea) including a brace at Anfield, a winner against City, and a late equaliser in a Cup final, plus more assists than anyone bar Rooney, is a more than respectable return for a two and a half season shift in an unexceptional team. Not enough to be the linchpin in a world class side, sure...but more than enough to've made cult heroes of far lesser SAF-era players. Back when fans were allowed to like people, and our hated "average" benchwarmers where mid-table English hoofers, rather than silky Spanish playmakers.

Last edited:

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The guy is playing very well, the rest doesn't matter to me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he ran the game along with herrera in a possession stance. Drifted inwards as he does when he plays wide, but generally tried things with his passing and a lot of our attacks started with him having a lovely touch or playing a really good pass.

One thing I hope we get to see once is Mata as the 10, Miki wide right, Martial left, Ibra top, and Pogba behind them with Carrick, but I think there's no chance Mourinho will do that as Miki and Mata are both too small and slender physically and that's not Mourinho's style. In like a home game against Hull/Sunderland those players would have the potential to tear them apart though.

jem

It's a joke, but it's sort of true. Our meagre three years of mediocrity turned a lot of fans into gibbering darkside cockwombles, unable to appreciate even our better players as up to the halcyon imaginary standards of John O'Shea & Darren Fletcher's nostalgic afterbirth...Juan's association with the post-Fergie era has clearly counted against him. Especially when SAF signed non-entities like Shinji Kagawa can be voted the Caf's 39th favorite player...Because...I dunno....The Japanese really hate Norwich? God knows...

He may not have been the pseudo-Iniesta we hoped for, but anyone pretending he's been a flop, or anything less than decent to quite good in his time here, is talking bollocks. A return of 29 goals (more, in fewer games, than his time at Chelsea) including a brace at Anfield, a winner against City, and a late equaliser in a Cup final, plus more assists than anyone bar Rooney, is a more than respectable return for a two and a half season shift in an unexceptional team. Not enough to be the linchpin in a world class side, sure...but more than enough to've made cult heroes of far lesser SAF-era players. Back when fans were allowed to like people, and our hated "average" benchwarmers where mid-table English hoofers, rather than silky Spanish playmakers.
Spot on. I hope my daughter marries someone like Juan Mata.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Mourinho really showed him didn't he? I mean, he only started him so he could sub him off after 75 minutes and embarrass him infront of everyone AGAIN... the hate was palpable.

kps88

Back when fans were allowed to like people, and our hated "average" benchwarmers where mid-table English hoofers, rather than silky Spanish playmakers.
Na it's always been like this. Plenty of players were illogically hated during SAF's time as well.

itso 7

Played well today, problem is he goes missing in large parts of a game and just isn't good enough to dictate a game.

Whilst I love him scoring and having it rubbed in my face, he's just not good enough for us if we want to be the best in Europe.

Lovely chap too.
The most important thing is that he is there at decisive moments of the game be it assisting or scoring goals, for example his back heel pass to Valencia was critical in making Rooney's goal possible.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That's a very impressive tally. His fitness goes under the radar a bit because he's not particularly physically dominant. Same with Blind, actually. Both have surprisingly excellent stamina levels.

Minimalist

Thought he was our best of the front four despite his jammy goal. Very industrious compared to the rest.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
For a few years he averaged 65+ games a season. He also is never injured. Remarkable stamina.

Mr Smith

Lovely chap too.
Can't really think about a time when he really went missing, unless it was when his movement left space for Valencia to storm down the right. A lot of fans really just don't seem to get Mata; some of his best work is done without the ball, when he makes space for other players. And by the way, he was neither required nor expected to dictate the game today, that was Hererra's job (a clue, Mata played on the RW, Hererra played in central midfield). He doesn't have to have been involved in everything to have had a good game, or done the job that the manager wanted him to do. Frankly, I like the idea that his positioning and movement on the right might continue to free up an increasingly rejuvenated Valencia.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Can't really think about a time when he really went missing, unless it was when his movement left space for Valencia to storm down the right. A lot of fans really just don't seem to get Mata; some of his best work is done without the ball, when he makes space for other players. And by the way, he was neither required nor expected to dictate the game today, that was Hererra's job (a clue, Mata played on the RW, Hererra played in central midfield). He doesn't have to have been involved in everything to have had a good game, or done the job that the manager wanted him to do. Frankly, I like the idea that his positioning and movement on the right might continue to free up an increasingly rejuvenated Valencia.
Your post basically says he should get out of the way to allow more space for Valencia, which is ridiculous when you think about it really.

i agree he doesn't have to be involved in everything to have a good game, but he's involved in very little which is the problem. Admittedly his stats are strong but a top drawer RW would contribute more than he does.

Is essence, he's an average no 10, being played out wide. He'll do a job and probably pop up with the odd goal and assist, but he's not good enough in that role, in my view.

Golden Nugget

Your post basically says he should get out of the way to allow more space for Valencia, which is ridiculous when you think about it really.
No he didn't. He drags defenders inside, opening up space for others, which will make sense if you've ever played any football. Mata does his best inside anyway, he gets on the ball, either keeping possession or trying to make something happen. It's not like he goes into hiding.

He'll do a job and probably pop up with the odd goal and assist, but he's not good enough in that role, in my view.
Well if a player is popping up with goals and assists (and other things that you don't seem to appreciate) what exactly do you want?

M Bison

Supports
York City
No he didn't. He drags defenders inside, opening up space for others, which will make sense if you've ever played any football. Mata does his best inside anyway, he gets on the ball, either keeping possession or trying to make something happen. It's not like he goes into hiding.

Well if a player is popping up with goals and assists (and other things that you don't seem to appreciate) what exactly do you want?
The problem is if he constantly comes inside, which he does, it narrows the play and makes it far easier to defend against, hence why he's a no 10 and not a RW.

Your last para is silly, of course we all want to see the odd goal and assist from a forward facing player, but we also need a greater and wider contribution.

Both these points I'm sure you're aware of due to your extensive playing experience ;)

RedCurry

I am a big fan of Juan Mata. I think he will consistently give us 10-15 goals in all competitions whether he starts or comes off the bench. One thing that is pissing me off is how he seems to really sulk when he gets subbed. He's good but not good enough to start every game and play 90 mins for us.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The problem is if he constantly comes inside, which he does, it narrows the play and makes it far easier to defend against, hence why he's a no 10 and not a RW.

Your last para is silly, of course we all want to see the odd goal and assist from a forward facing player, but we also need a greater and wider contribution.

Both these points I'm sure you're aware of due to your extensive playing experience ;)
Lots of teams have LW/RWs who constantly cut inside. It's a perfectly normal way to set up a team, one that has advantages and disadvantages like every other set up. You'd swear the notion of having a #10 type player drifting in from the wings was a crazy flaw that must be eradicated.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Lots of teams have LW/RWs who constantly cut inside. It's a perfectly normal way to set up a team, one that has advantages and disadvantages like every other set up. You'd swear the notion of having a #10 type player drifting in from the wings was a crazy flaw that must be eradicated.
Fair comment, however he's not a winger that cuts inside, he's an average no 10 who's been shunted outwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.