6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike09

This reminds me of Van Gaal's 76th right back subsitution in each game.

It's like some agenda posters have pre-prepared statements about certain players.

He did well today,worked incredibly hard ,even defensively .

What game have you been watching?
Unlike you I won't questioning you about "what game have you been watching". But I wonder what is your expectation from United attacking mid?
Are working hard and dropping back the only thing what you expect from your attacking midfielder? Sorry but I just expect more from United attacking mid especially offensively not just defensively. None play poor today but to be fair I will put him the lowest one from 10 of our outfield players don't you agree?

Well, that means Pogba, Zlatan and the rest also showed up only in one or 2 moments. What do you expect from Mata? For the ball to stick to his feet 90 minutes and score Messi-esque goals?
The expectation between striker, centre mid and attacking mid are different. That's my view. They have different role. As a striker Ibra did his job great today. As a centre mid Pogba did his job brilliant today. As an attacking mid I just expect more from Mata. Not saying he's poor but I'll put him the lowest one from 10 of our outfield players.

JeffBoomTetris

The expectation between striker, centre mid and attacking mid are different. That's my view. They have different role. As a striker Ibra did his job great today. As a centre mid Pogba did his job brilliant today. As an attacking mid I just expect more from Mata. Not saying he's poor but I'll put him the lowest one from 10 of our outfield players.
Fair enough if your expectations from him is different. But, by no means was he the worst of our players.

Devil may care

He had some nice moments tonight but I still think the attack is too slow with both him and Rooney in it.

Jacko21

He had some nice moments tonight but I still think the attack is too slow with both him and Rooney in it.
Agreed. I don't see how either (particularly Mata) can remain in this First XI.

The team can't transition quickly enough when both of the them are in the side.

gulli_G

He's like an energiser bunny, Rooney could do with running half as much

Bwuk

He's so good. Would love him behind Zlatan with Mkhi and Martial either side.

Sylar

It helps him having players that can actually use both feet like Zlatan in front of him. Dont mind him drifting too much from the right given how Tony V is covering the right side now. Would like to see him more centrally, especially with Zlatan, Martial and Mkhi, and even Rashford, Lingard to come in.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He actually barged someone off the ball in the build up to our first goal...An actual real person! How mad is that!?

He basically did everything Rooney was supposed to do in the #10 tonight, as Valencia did everything he was supposed to do on the wing...all while Rooney pissed about like a Jim'll Fix It kid in whatever imaginary Hollywood Beckenbauer/Gerrard role he wanted.

Him, Rooney & Zlatan as 3/4 of a frontline is clearly ridiculous. It's like playing foosball on an air hockey table.

Last edited:

bugmat

Good to decent as usual - nice touches, control, monster of a flick for that Ibra chance. The lad is no hercules but if he's on the pitch and in teh box he will contribute. I'd rather him than Wazza right now.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Would be interesting to see him playing with the pace of Martial and Mkhitaryan on both wings and the physicality of Ibra, Pogba and Fellaini all around him. Would require Rooney to be dropped though.

Perrick Dubois

I think he will lose his spot to Mkhi very quickly. He seems to run inside off the ball and get in peoples way a fair bit. Minor quibble though, he was decent today. Anyone know where I can look at heat maps for our players?

DarkXaero

He was our best attacking player in the first half. Faded a bit in the second half but overall, he had a very decent game (one poor giveaway aside). That first time volley pass was absolute class and the header for Zlatan's overhead attempt was brilliant too. Ideally, I'd like Rooney to eventually make way for Mkhitaryan and we should retain Mata in his starting position.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Some of his passing and movement in the first half was class... that volley pass to Zlatan was probably the pass of the game.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's been playing great under Mourinho.
Not seeing this! He's done ok but great is really stretching it. He's just not a right side attacker and hurts our attack when played there. Would like to see him in the 10 with Myktarin on the right as Mata is very talented. Think that would be two upgrades in both positions right now and would improve us no end.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Mata is still a luxury player. Doesn't change the game at all and that's been the main criticism of him over the years. He will be slowly eased out and I will have my eyes on the starting 11 as I think Mkhi will finally get the start ahead of him.

No Mata hate. He will be a terrific squad player. But ultimately his one dimensional style is too big a burden to carry for a team we are looking to build. We Can't have Rooney, Ibra and Mata in attack the whole season since it's not good enough to win the league. But Rooney, Mkhitaryan, Zlatan gives a little more dynamism which I think will be good enough.

He will get plenty of games in the cup competitions anyhow.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What does "luxury player" even mean? Ugh.

Anyway, as Mata himself said:

"If a luxury player is a player who scores and assists and has good stats, then I’m happy to be a luxury player. I want luxury players in my team. I like creative players and players who do different things. It’s easy to say certain players are luxuries, especially when you’ve lost a game. When you lose a certain kind of player – the creative players – always get the blame. I’ve scored as many goals for Manchester United in the Premier League as for Chelsea, but in something like 30 games less. In terms of scoring and assisting and I’m quite happy with the stats, and stats don’t lie. They are facts."

Jacky Quacky

"If a luxury player is a player who scores and assists and has good stats, then I’m happy to be a luxury player. I want luxury players in my team. I like creative players and players who do different things. It’s easy to say certain players are luxuries, especially when you’ve lost a game. When you lose a certain kind of player – the creative players – always get the blame. I’ve scored as many goals for Manchester United in the Premier League as for Chelsea, but in something like 30 games less. In terms of scoring and assisting and I’m quite happy with the stats, and stats don’t lie. They are facts."
Stats don't lie but they also don't make up the full story. Don't tell me United Mata is better than Chelsea Mata because he isn't. His output last season still wasn't enough, and the season before.

He would be a fantastic squad player but he isn't United starter quality. Numerous times he has gone missing in games which doesn't show up in the stats. Many times our team has looked slow on the right side with him there occupying it and sometimes that has led to us not exploiting weaknesses that otherwise faster players would exploit. He has a fantastic touch but a fantastic touch doesn't help your team win titles. It's the ability to change the game and make a mark and a statement which separates the quality of players. When was the last time you thought "Mata had an amazing game" because I can't think of one apart from that one Liverpool game.

I would say let him stay but only if he wants to be a squad player that will get a lot of games in different competitions. But obviously I'm not the manager so it's his judgement to make: drop Mata and implement a player who last season won the players player of the year in the Bundesliga, or continue playing Mata until the end of the season in that position because he's a good guy.

You don't even feel a difference between Lingard playing there instead of Mata apart from Lingard gives us a bit more pace. He doesn't affect games as well as he should.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I see some people still peddling the "luxury player" nonsense.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Mata is still a luxury player. Doesn't change the game at all and that's been the main criticism of him over the years. He will be slowly eased out and I will have my eyes on the starting 11 as I think Mkhi will finally get the start ahead of him.

No Mata hate. He will be a terrific squad player. But ultimately his one dimensional style is too big a burden to carry for a team we are looking to build. We Can't have Rooney, Ibra and Mata in attack the whole season since it's not good enough to win the league. But Rooney, Mkhitaryan, Zlatan gives a little more dynamism which I think will be good enough.

He will get plenty of games in the cup competitions anyhow.
:lol:

Great stuff, bro.

MounchesterUtd

Pissed off Mata is just :drool:

Why must it be so hard to phase Rooney out? :confused:

Red71

Can't say I'm a massive fan of Mata the player, rather than the fella. There is surely no doubting his ability but his severe lack of pace under the last few managers has been difficult to watch and seeing his name on the team sheet has usually been a bit of a disappointment. That being said, ive been pleasantly surprised so far over the last few games.

I'm not sure what some other posters were watching but I saw a player putting a shift in for his new gaffer, particularly against the Saints. Yes, that should be expected but even so......tracking back and tackling/closing down were being done which bodes well I reckon.

This "luxury" player thing is interesting though. I'm never sure what that is really meant to mean. I usually take that to be someone who's a bit of a passenger but they occasionally chip in with something decent. Certainly, for me, that would be right with Mata. The difference is that now, with Mourinho in charge, with the team of massive athletes he's putting together, we can probably afford to have a wee man playing in between the lines, chipping in with moments of quality and pulling the stings. He's going to be playing in a much more mobile, pacy team now with more movement and options around him meaning he can do what he is better at i.e. letting the ball do all the work for him so his legs don't have to.

I tend to agree that we can't really have him, Rooney and Zlatan all in attack together though. Zlatan is going to be first pick so it's got to be either Rooney and Mata rather than both. It'll have to be horses for courses but I would be interested to see what Mata could do in certain games surrounded by Mickey T, Martial, Zlatan, Pogba, pacy fullbacks......could be tasty. At least we've got options now.

Turamb

Mata is very intelligent

You can tell by how he moves and positions himself

He'll work very well with Zlatan, IMO

If only Rooney could be dropped for Miki...

Jacky Quacky

Rather than saying "great stuff bro" can you come up with an argument to counter mine :p
There's no arguments there, that's your opinions on him.
Right so I'm giving my verdict on him as a player and yet you laugh at it but don't fully explain what's wrong with my post. Again, if you can't find something substantial to say then there's no point saying it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I love him but its pretty obvious he will lose his spot fairly soon to Mkhitaryan. Mkhitaryan is brilliant with both feet, really quick, a great dribbler, creative and has a good shot on him, all while being as hard of a workee as mata (though more effective) and probably almost as good a touch. I do want to see them both in for rooney and that right side, but its not something I think Mourinho will do very often.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I liked how he distributed the ball in the first half. He faded a bit but he was doing a good job

Devil may care

That's how I feel, Mata never put a foot wrong but when mkhitaryan came on his injection of pace and skill really showed that Mata's time is definitely limited as we already have the perfect replacement.
It's a shame for Mata as he should be competing with Rooney for the #10 spot while Micki and Lingard compete for the RW spot.

friend

Might just be an illusion, but it seems to me he has been releasing the ball a little bit quicker when we he gets possession.

Under LVG, he usually held onto the ball for a while before passing it, perhaps due to the "philosophy" but probably more to do with his own playing style, which allowed the opposition to get men back in those rare moments when we did end up in a sort of counter attacking position.

eggwithsideburns

He has been playing well in the last few games, passing it forward early and with some good creative passing too. That is really important and especially with the style we're trying to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.