6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacko21

I love him but its pretty obvious he will lose his spot fairly soon to Mkhitaryan. Mkhitaryan is brilliant with both feet, really quick, a great dribbler, creative and has a good shot on him, all while being as hard of a workee as mata (though more effective) and probably almost as good a touch. I do want to see them both in for rooney and that right side, but its not something I think Mourinho will do very often.
Agreed. I think it's purely man-management from Mourinho. Placating one or two individuals for the sake of a harmonious group.

That said, and whilst I Mkhitaryan to come into the first XI soon, I do think Mourinho will rotate much more freely than he did in his second spell with Chelsea. He openly admitted that fatigue hurt their performances in the latter stages of the season.

We have the strength in depth to rotate a player or two on a game-by-game basis. Much like Ferguson did, he seldom played the same XI two games in a row. Also helps to keep players on their toes, morale high and reinforces the siege ('us against them') mentality that Mourinho favours so much.

You can already see the close-knitted nature of this squad forming and strengthening.

DarkXaero

Might just be an illusion, but it seems to me he has been releasing the ball a little bit quicker when we he gets possession.

Under LVG, he usually held onto the ball for a while before passing it, perhaps due to the "philosophy" but probably more to do with his own playing style, which allowed the opposition to get men back in those rare moments when we did end up in a sort of counter attacking position.
Not just you, I think it's an obvious change from not playing under LVG anymore. LVG instructed players to be cautious in possession and passing so players (with the exception of Martial) played very conservative. Now with Mourinho, we're seeing the likes of Mata, Lingard (the Community Shield goal) take more risks and play with more freedom.

Hull City 0:1 Man Utd

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I thought he was very poor today, given all the freedom he got to roam. I feel like Mkhitaryan would've been so much more potent if he was given the start to roam like Mata was.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Will always struggle against 10 bigger men sat behind the ball.

Shouldn't have played today, I wouldn't have started him anyway.

Raw

Should hopefully see him on the bench more often now. Mata has nice little moments and can pop up with a goal every now and again but I'd much rather have Mkhitaryan starting.

kunal18

He is a good player, but too much "pass on responsibility" over to Valencia on the right side, so much that you sometimes wonder who is the right sided attacker.
Zlatan,Rooney,Mata are too slow, the other two have been affecting the games, Mata has been peripheral to say the least.
Hopefully after todays performance we see Mkhitaryan or even Rashford on the right side.

saivet

He is a good player, but too much "pass on responsibility" over to Valencia on the right side, so much that you sometimes wonder who is the right sided attacker.
Zlatan,Rooney,Mata are too slow, the other two have been affecting the games, Mata has been peripheral to say the least.
Hopefully after todays performance we see Mkhitaryan or even Rashford on the right side.
I don't see this as an issue. It's simply not Mata's game to keep width. You will even see the same thing with any other of our wide options, apart from Young. To be honest, with full backs like Shaw and Valencia, they can provide the width and wingers coming inside can create space for them anyway.

Devil may care

Average today, I'm surprised at just how much license he has to roam under Jose, Valencia is pretty much on his own on the right side a lot of the time.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There was nothing a player with his qualities could do today apart from score a freekick or a shot from 30 yards. There was literally nothing he was going to pass to and he cant dribble past 3 players. Surprised he started. Not the game for him.

kunal18

I don't see this as an issue. It's simply not Mata's game to keep width. You will even see the same thing with any other of our wide options, apart from Young. To be honest, with full backs like Shaw and Valencia, they can provide the width and wingers coming inside can create space for them anyway.
We want the final ball to be created by the three behind the striker mostly and not by the fullbacks if we have to score goals consistently.
For me Mata is a tidy player but doesnt take enough responsibility to create when the going gets tough.
Im not even judging him on this game alone ,the ability to dribble at pace is lacking in this side with Martial also having a poor game,hence Mkhitaryan,Rashford should be played.
If Mata's game is not to keep width, and his game is not to create chances, nor to defend, then what exactly is he in the team for? We have better options.
Shaw and Valencia have been top class regardless of who plays infront of them I think,

M Bison

Supports
York City
His days are numbered I'm sure, just don't understand why he plays RW at all. Simply not good enough especially in a game like today.

Sylar

Not his best performance (probably wont start against City now) but I still feel he will be useful this season.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I think he's starting in part because of continuity, as Mou hinted at in his presser (though not specifically in reference to Mata).

Ultimately, we really should be starting only one of Rooney or Mata going forward. And one of them happens to be captain...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Left the Hull player for dead, for the Rooney chance in the 1st half. Completely sold his destiny.

Jaybomb

Probably one of our better players today IMO. Made some good runs and had some good link ups with Rooney and Zlatan.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
If he was one of our better players why did he come off when we were searching for a goal?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
For me Mata is a tidy player but doesnt take enough responsibility to create when the going gets tough.
Im not even judging him on this game alone
He scored the 85th minute equaliser in our only trophy since 2013.
And in this game he created our best chance other than the goal itself. I've not been a great fan of his since his arrival, I wanted more from a 37m Chelsea POTY, but I felt he was good today. Created, linked up, was tidy.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I expected him to be an Ozil type of player, nowhere near and feel embarassed to have put him in the same bracket when he was at Chelsea. He's a good player, but not a player that takes the team to a higher level, still very good to have him here, neat and tidy player.

Mike09

Genuinely forgot he was on the field when he was subbed off.
That's just typical Mata. Being invincible in a game but somehow managed to get a goal or assist before he got subbed off, I was expecting that when Rashford was about to come on but it didn't happen.

Shimo

Mata was decent but, his problem is that he has no pace in front of him right now and in the current line up he just won't be as effective as I think he could be with maybe playing as the 10 but, that slot is Rooney's for now. As such I think he will lose his starting place after the International break. Somehow I feel that Mourinho was some what man managing the situation. The first 3 games league, especially with the Lingard injury and our opposition being not the strongest, he could take the chance to start him. Keep the player happy, keep the distracting headlines out about how he doesn't fancy him and not have to try and deal with a player wanting to leave at the end of the transfer window.

But, it's been evident in all 3 games - Rooney, Ibra, Mata - no threat behind and very little threat to take players on and go past them with pace and trickery. All 3 of them are happier being the ones playing others in. He'll get his chances in the cup games I feel as a pure 10 and that might be better because he'll play with the likes of Rashford, Memphis and Lingard around him and get to show his best qualities.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Involved in all our best chances in the first half, 3rd decent performance in a row = thread full of bitching.

Standard.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Can't make much of a difference in these type of games. His game suffers when playing against compact teams.

Perrick Dubois

I understand the reason why he comes inside, to open up the flank and get a touch of the ball.

But I don't get why he does not try and get back out to his position almost straight away if a move breaks down? He'll drop and stand next to our own players and get in their way while that player will gravitate toward the right hand side. I suppose Valencia gets acres of space to run into all game because Mata rarely re-takes his position swiftly so I suppose that is a positive aspect of it.

What is the point of running almost to the opposite edge of the box and then back into midfield? Wouldn't it be more beneficial that if a player drifts inside, he gets back out wide ASAP to keep the shape uniform and allow others to play in space? I am surprised that Jose is letting him play like this. I'm not ripping Mata, I just find it a bit strange.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's improved but we're still a much better side when we have more pace on the right whether it's Lingard, Rashford or Mkhitaryan.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I understand the reason why he comes inside, to open up the flank and get a touch of the ball.

But I don't get why he does not try and get back out to his position almost straight away if a move breaks down? He'll drop and stand next to our own players and get in their way while that player will gravitate toward the right hand side. I suppose Valencia gets acres of space to run into all game because Mata rarely re-takes his position swiftly so I suppose that is a positive aspect of it.

What is the point of running almost to the opposite edge of the box and then back into midfield? Wouldn't it be more beneficial that if a player drifts inside, he gets back out wide ASAP to keep the shape uniform and allow others to play in space? I am surprised that Jose is letting him play like this. I'm not ripping Mata, I just find it a bit strange.
It could be that he is creating space for others with these movements?

Perrick Dubois

It could be that he is creating space for others with these movements?
It doesn't though, he just gets in the way of other players and players actively pass around him. I said I understand the need and tendency to drift inside, to get on the ball. That is fine, that is natural because he is more a striker/playmaker than a winger. But a few times last night he ran almost to the opposite touch line then when the ball was recycled back out he didn't get back over to the right he essentially ran into midfield getting in the way of people and they were passing around him. I just found it odd, very unMourinho-like to not put a stop to it straight away.

Found these weird pics on another site said:
It is a bit strange. A few "what are you doing there? Get back out to the right?" type moments.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Involved in all our best chances in the first half, 3rd decent performance in a row = thread full of bitching.

Standard.
A decent performance came from the two attackers who came on to replace him and instantly injected us with something genuinely potent.

Phil Osophy

We can like his game more or less, but Mourinho is allowing him to play in that way. He had the chance to ignore Mata this month 'inviting' him to leave, or trying to influence his game to remain open or anything. But he started every match in the league and he's playing in the same way. Too much generosity to be based on political reasons as I read sometimes, I don't think that's the key.

I think the point of this style of play is to fix the opposition inside, threatening the central areas by adding numbers. The teams get tight and there's more space on the wings. Then Valencia is left with 1x1 situations many times, with 3-4 players waiting in the box. An alternative strategy with pros and cons like any other. Because even if Miki plays there he's not going to run the sideline as a traditional winger. He's a creative player and tends to go inside, maybe not that much but we have to get used to this.

About Mata individually, I remember him during the first months with Van Gaal playing in the diamond. He was not involved at all neither in attack or defense. He disappeared of the team after some months and he came back around March against Tottenham-Liverpool-City being a different player. I think Mata understood that he doesn't have the talent to survive as a starter, just based on his pure quality. Nobody was going to build a team around him, so he had to be more involved in all the collective tasks, covering more ground, pressing and tracking back more, being more involved with the ball if he wanted to be useful, and better or worse he's doing it now.

Mata has become a good team player with some bright moments, not what we expected initially but it's not something bad necessarily. I think he's now the kind of footballer the managers tend to like and the fans tend to depreciate. It happens also with Valencia, Fellaini and some others who are not flashy and have clear limitations in some areas, but they are disciplined and good executors of what they are told to do. Year after year they are expected to leave but they always survive under different managers (and "different" in every sense) so it means something in my opinion.

We all know Mata won't be a starter permanently, but I expect him to accumulate a good sum of minutes at the end of the season. He's a mature player now, he knows the game well and is working his socks off. If he's happy with that role and keeps bringing hard work, active movement and goals+assists, then it's okay for me. I understand the people who doesn't like him as we all have preferences, but let's not create a problem where there isn't any.

Last edited:

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Looking in Hindsight he should've started for us, we look like we have more control whenever he's on

Status
Not open for further replies.