Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Where are all those people who though we would look so much better with Mkhi on the right giving us width unlike Mata who always drift inside, and thinking Valencia is going to be more dangerous going forward too? Mata drifting inside and acting as a midfielder has so many good things people ignore to see, football isn't all about just staying wide and trying to get past the player. Once you play a player who actually stays wide you won't have much space on the right like we have when Mata plays there. He also gets the best out of Valencia.

Of course, today's game was harder than last few games, but it's never going to be that simple as many thought it will be once we drop Mata.

The United

At least he could have passed better up front. When I bought up that he was our advanced play maker and no one can pass and have vision like him regularly atm, people laughed. lol

Our passing on final part was almost non existent today. Either hoofed the ball up or lose the ball.

Very weird tactic. You would think only the likes of hull would play that way.

RedStarUnited

At least he could have passed better up front. When I bought up that he was our advanced play maker and no one can pass and have vision like him regularly atm, people laughed. lol

Our passing on final part was almost non existent today. Either hoofed the ball up or lose the ball.

Very weird tactic. You would think only the likes of hull would play that way.
But I still feel Mata is a connector rather than an inventor when it comes to his passing. Him and Silva are pretty much like for like in body build etc but man when it comes to playing style, different class.

the hea

What a pointless player, he contributes nothing to our play and having him on the field is like playing with ten players.

Bwuk

He can't play wide unless the full back can get forward to keep width.

PepsiCola

Needs a wing back who will bomb forward when playing RW or he's useless there.

Devil may care

Without Tony to run the entire right side on his own he got stuck too wide, and when that happens he becomes ineffective.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Waste of time right side, don't really rate his potential "contribution" through the middle either.

SambaBoy

When's the last time he played a ball that cut open a defence? I knew he was never quick or strong when we bought him, but thought he could always buy a yard with a shimmie or a little dribble, and be able to play defence splitting passes, a bit like Silva for City.

Dobbs

Why do we keep trying him on the right? It's just baffling. When Young came on he didn't do anything amazing but he did provide some wing basics, like throwing a couple of crosses in. Which comes in handy when you have several players over 6ft.

Play him centrally or not at all.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why do we keep trying him on the right? It's just baffling. When Young came on he didn't do anything amazing but he did provide some wing basics, like throwing a couple of crosses in. Which comes in handy when you have several players over 6ft.

Play him centrally or not at all.
I think he's fine on the right when there is an offensive full back behind him. Valencia providing the width and Mata drifting centrally can be a nightmare for defenders to play against, and I think Mata has proven his competency in tracking back.

Issue is, Mata's effectiveness on the wing is massively dependent on having an good attacking fullback to compliment his freedom to drift. Darmien is a horrible partner in such a role.

Dobbs

I think he's fine on the right when there is an offensive full back behind him. Valencia providing the width and Mata drifting centrally can be a nightmare for defenders to play against, and I think Mata has proven his competency in tracking back.

Issue is, Mata's effectiveness on the wing is massively dependent on having an good attacking fullback to compliment his freedom to drift. Darmien is a horrible partner in such a role.
That's true but what you're basically saying is he's fine when somebody is doing his job for him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's true but what you're basically saying is he's fine when somebody is doing his job for him.
Its not what I'm saying. He's a nifty player who can play very well when pockets are created by pacey players stretching the defence. He can smartly drift into various areas (outwide and infield)and add more value when he actually has a competent partner on the same flank to do so. Every wide player depends on his full back to aid in creating space when there is an attack on, its just a shame Darmien is terrible at doing so.

If you put Mkhitaryan on instead of Mata, he would also look subdued on the flank because Darmien is that poor offensively.

Dobbs

Its not what I'm saying. He's a nifty player who can play very well when pockets are created by pacey players stretching the defence. He can smartly drift into various areas (outwide and infield)and add more value when he actually has a competent partner on the same flank to do so. Every wide player depends on his full back to aid in creating space when there is an attack on, its just a shame Darmien is terrible at doing so.

If you put Mkhitaryan on instead of Mata, he would also look subdued on the flank because Darmien is that poor offensively.
What I mean is that there are certain jobs a right winger/midfielder has to do. No matter how good they are at coming inside and finding space they still have to trouble the left back, stretch the play and deliver service from out wide. Mata can't do that and instead relies on his fullback to do so. So Mata's OK as long as somebody else is fulfilling his primary duties.

Mkhitaryan would play better with a top class fullback behind him yeah, see goes for any player. However even with Darmian behind him he can still beat a fullback, cross with his right foot etc.

jem

Thought he actually looked decent.
As indifferent as he can be at times (performance-wise, not attitude,) there is no way anyone can convince me that Rooney does a better job in that position. It's utterly confounding that we continue to start a player who is clearly inferior to what we have on the bench.

dichinero

As indifferent as he can be at times (performance-wise, not attitude,) there is no way anyone can convince me that Rooney does a better job in that position. It's utterly confounding that we continue to start a player who is clearly inferior to what we have on the bench.
The funniest thing is that he easily find a spot in the City than Rooney but yet he is benched. I hope he steps up as a leader in this team because physicality aside there is still some player in him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Our 37m signing has never had a run in his natural position in almost 3 years, despite our captain not convincing there. Let that sink in?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Our 37m signing has never had a run in his natural position in almost 3 years, despite our captain not convincing there. Let that sink in?
And we've been shit for 3 years now.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Watched the game where Arsenal beat Chelsea 5-3 at the bridge, and he was brilliant that game from the right.

rooney1905

While sometimes he can be frustrating he provides what we lack, ironically what he lacks as well, which is speed. He is not a fast player but he moves the ball quickly. He also is usually looking to get on the ball. One of the reason he and Herrera worked well together a couple seasons ago is because they both moved the ball quickly and they both moved before AND after having possession of the ball. The pace has to be picked up and he is one of the people that can do it with the ball.

Bwuk

I'd be tempted to try him deeper ala David Silva at city.

We need someone who can play the ball and try to run the game.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'd be tempted to try him deeper ala David Silva at city.

We need someone who can play the ball and try to run the game.
Lacks Silva's ability to fend off harassing defenders, and I doubt Jose would ever play him as a CM.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Didn't he play wide quite a lot for Chelsea and Valencia? This natural position stuff is bollocks imo

Sylar

Shouldnt have been dropped against City. TBH didnt deserve to be dropped. I dont mind him on the right and him drifting in cos we have Valencia who hogs the line. (just a shame valencia is an ankle buster).

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
While sometimes he can be frustrating he provides what we lack, ironically what he lacks as well, which is speed. He is not a fast player but he moves the ball quickly. He also is usually looking to get on the ball. One of the reason he and Herrera worked well together a couple seasons ago is because they both moved the ball quickly and they both moved before AND after having possession of the ball. The pace has to be picked up and he is one of the people that can do it with the ball.
That's because he can pass the ball well. The amount of misguided passes from the likes of Rooney, Pogba and even Ibra was incredible.

worldinmotion66

This is a huge game for Mata and the club. Hope he plays well as a #10, presuming that's where he plays.

Sparky10Legend

Unfair that it comes to a do or die type situation ,whilst fatty was given 3 years to improve, but it really is a DorD for Mata today in my view.

He has to utilize the runners, pick the passes and unlock the door.

Over to you Juan.

Status
Not open for further replies.