5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyril C

First half, Mata show. Instrumental in our possession fun game in Brighton's half.

Second half, he struggled and both his performance and energy start to wane.
This is a big puzzle to me. His passing skill is 2nd to none except for his pace, but can't understand why he fade off so easily in 2nd half. Only 50min or so and his tank was empty. Valencia, Matic and Lukaku I can understand, 3 tough games in a week and should be tired, but Mata and martial have been scratching balls whole week, so tired so early?

Devil77

Was the only attacking player capable of keeping possesion. Should have stayed on the pitch with Martial or Lingard being subbed.

arthurka

Was the only attacking player capable of keeping possesion. Should have stayed on the pitch with Martial or Lingard being subbed.
Thought so too.. The only player with Lukaku who looked like he could make something happen.

AP88

Supports
Man City
This is a big puzzle to me. His passing skill is 2nd to none except for his pace, but can't understand why he fade off so easily in 2nd half. Only 50min or so and his tank was empty. Valencia, Matic and Lukaku I can understand, 3 tough games in a week and should be tired, but Mata and martial have been scratching balls whole week, so tired so early?
That’s what naturally happens to small, Spanish non-athletes until they’re coached by the ped-peddler Pep. Silva used to be the same....

binary bot
Enjoyed this highlights video from 12/13 from Reddit, better watched on mute.

Posh Red

Mata has been consistently good for united but I don’t think he’s ever hit the same form he had in this season. Seems more willing to beat his man in some of these clips and maybe Chelsea played with more fluency which suits his game.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
shame he couldnt score our juanito, that was a cery good chance and not too difficult one for him, great run. He will be lucky next time. Just have a problem with Mata that instead of him we could use more pace in the team, especially when sanchez lost yard or two of pace himself...

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope his bicycle kick comes off against city. He's been trying too hard to get that

CG1010

He is playing well overall, but all the stars are aligned this season to not let him score/assist. By my memory he has missed a gazillion chances to score much more this season, and he certainly should have got more assists too.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Probably the most overrated player at the moment. If we had a competent right winger he wouldn't be anywhere near the team.

haram

Probably the most overrated player at the moment. If we had a competent right winger he wouldn't be anywhere near the team.
People have said stuff like this all season yet he is one of most consistent players and we have a great record with him in the team.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I wish we got Bernardo Silva, he's very similar to Mata but has the quickness too. Mata has been great but strangely his productivity has dropped significantly. Nowhere near to getting his usual 10 goals.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think you've forgotten how shit we've played when he hasn't played. He is the only player who is able to link with every other player in our side, easily the most intelligent player.

Caf has been on about how his place will be taken up by Mkhi/ then Rashford and then Sanchez, but lo an behold, none have been able to do something. Look at the match ratings for every player, and you'd notice that Mata has been one of the most consistent players, maybe even the most consistent player after Dave

Garethw

People have said stuff like this all season yet he is one of most consistent players and we have a great record with him in the team.
He hasn’t scored or assisted nearly enough though. If Rashford and Martial didn’t play like a fecked up amalgamation of Bebe and Obertan at right wing, then he wouldn’t be anywhere near the team imo.

haram

He hasn’t scored or assisted nearly enough though. If Rashford and Martial didn’t play like a fecked up amalgamation of Bebe and Obertan at right wing, then he wouldn’t be anywhere near the team imo.
Mata contributes to the team without the goal and direct assists. For example scoring those chances against Liverpool and Swansea would not change my opinion on him. Would have been great goals though.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Mata contributes to the team without the goal and direct assists. For example scoring those chances against Liverpool and Swansea would not change my opinion on him. Would have been great goals though.
Thats one of the difference between us and City. All of their attacking players contribute here.

Garethw

He’s a great little player mate, but I do think he flatters to deceive sometimes.

The rumours are that Jose wants Bale this summer. The only reason I’m against it is due to the guys injuries. When fit he’s a monster player. Put him in Mata’s Position and he’d have 20 goals and 20 assists after the same number of games. One thing is certain, we’d be a lot closer to City if we had a goal scorer on the right.

As things stand, Mata is the best option we have there, but I really do hope that Jose upgrades come the summer.

haram

He’s a great little player mate, but I do think he flatters to deceive sometimes.

The rumours are that Jose wants Bale this summer. The only reason I’m against it is due to the guys injuries. When fit he’s a monster player. Put him in Mata’s Position and he’d have 20 goals and 20 assists after the same number of games. One thing is certain, we’d be a lot closer to City if we had a goal scorer on the right.

As things stand, Mata is the best option we have there, but I really do hope that Jose upgrades come the summer.
We might sign a player for that RW spot. I don't think Mata has been overrated this season though, he has played well.

Web of Bissaka

In terms of scoring, he's under-performing this season, just 3 at this stage is too low for a player of his quality. Usually 8-10.
:devil:Score 5+ goals in the next final 7 or 8 games to fulfill quota.

Ignoring that, overall, still play as usual consistently contribute and helps make us play better in attacks.

Just rightly rated, everyone knows we need an upgrade on the RM/RW.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
So Rashford and Martial haven’t played well either?

Mata always gives his all. I’ve watched so-called better players amble around like they are doing us a favour being there. Mata is way down on the list of villains. Especially as he’s invariably played in an unfavourable position.

Garethw

So Rashford and Martial haven’t played well either?

Mata always gives his all. I’ve watched so-called better players amble around like they are doing us a favour being there. Mata is way down on the list of villains. Especially as he’s invariably played in an unfavourable position.
Neither Rashford nor Martial has played well at RW. Both of them have performed at their best from the LW position.

Mata is a great squad member, but I will be annoyed if we don’t buy an actual right sided winger this summer.

RedDevil@84

If we had prime RvP in our team, Lukaku wouldn't even start.
If we had prime CR7 on the left, Sanchez wouldn't even start.
If we had prime Keano in the team,..... you get the drift.

Being better than the lot in the squad currently (unless you believe Jose is being tricked), does not mean being overrated.

SNes

One sideways pass gets him man of the match on here, hopefully, he gets moved on in the summer.

Livvie

Scout
When it comes to contribution I would take Mata over Pogba anytime. There’s someone who doesn’t even flatter to deceive. An occasional show of brilliance doesn’t excuse his laziness. Imo, the equivalent of the Emperors New Clothes...

MUFC OK

I've said many times that we look far better creatively with Mata in the side. Due to our lack of options at RW he is a starter in big games for me. We really need Valencia to show attacking endeavour to get the best out of Juan though.

Bestietom

He is very good when on form but goes missing in the physical games. He seems to want to get rid of the ball quickly and ends with him giving it away. Never one to get involved when a game becomes Physical. IMO.

Dike_Manc

He has to start, especially the big games. He just knits things together for us. However I'm starting to get worried about his end product of late. He should not be missing some of those chances. He has no excuse not scoring that overhead ball from Pogba.

jem

When it comes to contribution I would take Mata over Pogba anytime. There’s someone who doesn’t even flatter to deceive. An occasional show of brilliance doesn’t excuse his laziness. Imo, the equivalent of the Emperors New Clothes...
I agree. However, I do suspect that you and I sit on the I-Love-The-Teddy-Bear-Known-as-Juan-Mata board!

Livvie

Scout
I agree. However, I do suspect that you and I sit on the I-Love-The-Teddy-Bear-Known-as-Juan-Mata board!
Maybe :) but I do have reasons for sitting on any board - mainly based on how I perceive their contributions to the team, and the club.

Canagel

He misses too many sitters recently. Really tidy in possession but if we're going to play 4-2-3-1 then the 3 behind the striker need to chip in with 10-15 goals a season each like Son, Alli and Eriksen do for Spurs. Mata doesn't score enough to warrant taking one of those spots.

Livvie

Scout
He misses too many sitters recently. Really tidy in possession but if we're going to play 4-2-3-1 then the 3 behind the striker need to chip in with 10-15 goals a season each like Son, Alli and Eriksen do for Spurs. Mata doesn't score enough to warrant taking one of those spots.
He's hardly the only player missing chances. We wouldn't be so far behind City even if Mata missed all his but everyone else took theirs.

Canagel

He's hardly the only player missing chances. We wouldn't be so far behind City even if Mata missed all his but everyone else took theirs.
Of course he's not the only one. Martial, Rashford, Lingard all miss chances sometimes but you have to look at the goal tallies and Mata has by far the least. Martial and Rashford have been rotated a lot this season and Lingard has actually had his most productive season which is very positive. We are a long way behind not just City but even Liverpool in terms of goal scoring and this is something that must improve next season.

Livvie

Scout
Of course he's not the only one. Martial, Rashford, Lingard all miss chances sometimes but you have to look at the goal tallies and Mata has by far the least. Martial and Rashford have been rotated a lot this season and Lingard has actually had his most productive season which is very positive. We are a long way behind not just City but even Liverpool in terms of goal scoring and this is something that must improve next season.
Imo, we perform better - on the whole - when he plays, and look more like scoring.

El Jefe

Find him a bit 'meh'. Good player and all but the top 6 is filled with good players, especially in his position.

For someone who gets as many starts as he does for us, we should expect much more. Would be high on my list of players we need replace in our first 11.

Canagel

Imo, we perform better - on the whole - when he plays, and look more like scoring.
I agree. Right now he should start because he gives us control and links up well with Lingard and Sanchez. He gives the team good balance and is very good at finding little pockets of space. If Valencia took up higher positions on the right when Mata drifts into central areas we would a lot more dangerous but going into next season I prefer a natural RW who'll keep the width and score more. Mata should keep starting for us definitely until someone better becomes available including today.

Sterling Archer

Find him a bit 'meh'. Good player and all but the top 6 is filled with good players, especially in his position.

For someone who gets as many starts as he does for us, we should expect much more. Would be high on my list of players we need replace in our first 11.
For me he is one of the last on the list of players we need to replace. Even if he didn't play another minute, we need players that have winning in their blood in the squad. Call it a milder Zlatan effect.

After SAF, we got rid of too many players with titles to their name. We got rid of the winning mentality

TRD

Mata again not starting a big match. We will not win at any cost as is the case whenever Mata does not start.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Jose's dropping of Pogba, Martial and Rashford doesn't affect me one single bit. I think he always gets it wrong when he avoids starting Mata though. Bizzare, he makes our team look so much better on the ball too.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Mata does start in some big games if we are home, because we have the backing of the crowd and so are better at dominating games.

Status
Not open for further replies.