Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Personally, I feel his role is very important as he is the only guy who doesn't let emotions take over his judgement and decision making. Easily the most composed and technically gifted player in our side. Without him we often look bereft of his ideas.
Sure he is slow and not physically strong, but he makes up for it with hils intelligence.
Now, people here want him out to accomodate alexis, lukaku and martial as this trio has pace but the thing is we become too Liverpool-ish without a manager wanting gung-ho attacking football. IMO to beat teams that sit deep and play for a draw we need atleast one of the 2 things to succeed: 1. Movement and clever passing to stretch defences- trio of Martial, alexis and Rom can't do that. They are great players but don't make enough 'clever' runs.
2. Waves of attack- not possible due to our manager being more of a pragmatic guy.
Can he be upgraded? Yes, definitely but we would be needing a player who brings to our side what Mata brings to the table before we think of replacing him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His nice guy image has clouded many a judgment on him.

He should be a squad player, no acceleration, no strength and his good footballing brain can only get him so far on the RW.
He is a squad player, hardly anyone is saying he should always be first XI, or that Mourinho uses him as anything more than a first choice.

jem

who's desperate for him to move on?
Some sample quotes, just from within the last 6 pages (poster names removed, because really, what's the point?)

I love him as a person but the first good offer comes for him and I won't mind selling him tbh.

I think one of the major issues at a big club is recognising a player’s decline and acting accordingly. I’ve felt for a while he hasn’t suited the team and, as a lot of posters have observed, he kills counters and slows our attacks down. I’m not sure he has long left.

He's a good player to have if we can keep him, but i doubt he'd be happy playing a bit part / substitution role (despite Mata's never even hinting at being upset with coming off the bench). I'd be ok with him leaving to find regular football, if that's what he desires. If we are to progress, i'm sorry, it's without Mata.

Here's a particularly ridiculous one: Its just a farce at this stage that he is getting picked, doesnt deserves a place in the squad yet alone a starting 11 place yet he is still in there. He was a shambles again last night and theres still people who cannot accept this, which is as bizzare as his continued seletion. He needs to refind his form of 3 years ago or be got rid of and quickly too. The worst player we have now, by a distance..4 goals in almost 12 months

hopefully to secure a few pounds in summer when we bin him. worst player at the club at the moment. (to be fair, this is the same poster as above - clearly didn't get the response he was hoping for in the previous post, so was desperate to reiterate.)

Needs to leave the club...enough of this “he is nice crap””. Hope sanchez means less of this weakling

I can't even understand the people who want him as a squad option. Offers absolutely nothing, I'd much prefer giving the back-up role to a promising youngster. Sign De Gea up on a 10-year-contract ASAP, so we can get rid when his tres amigos feelings don't matter. Let's hope Sanchez can become a good mate of his since his actual ones are not up to the task anymore.

He needs to be sold immediately, I don't care how harsh it sounds. Fellaini came into the game, with vastly lesser skill, and was 10 times more effective than him.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
The difference between Mata and D.Silva/Cazorla is that, unlike them two, Mata cannot resist pressing players. He's very easily dispossessed and, as a result, would leave us very vulnerable. We're already pretty poor at resisting high pressing teams as is.

The player we have who I think could eventually make the transition eventually is Alexis. He is strong on the ball, very efficient at 360 turns allowing himself to wriggle his way out of trouble, is a great playmaker and already contributes a lot defensively.
Yes before I mentioned Mata, I thought Alexis could defo do that or be transforemed into that kind of player when he loses his dynamics.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Personally, I feel his role is very important as he is the only guy who doesn't let emotions take over his judgement and decision making.
Yeah, he understands the game really well. I can remember at least a couple of occasions where we've been lumping it into the box chasing a goal and he was visibly telling everyone to calm the feck down. And I say this as someone who doesn't really care if he leaves.

Cliche Guevara

I have to say I’ve been finding him increasingly frustrating. More often than not we have a chance to break and he turns back and slows the play down. Often putting pressure on his teammates with a pass.

I don’t think how we play does him any favours, admittedly, and I don’t want to be over critical of him on that basis.

In my view, however, we have pretty much what he provides in Sanchez on the other wing. What this team needs is a fast, direct, player on the right who can break fast and drive the team up the pitch. Hopefully Martial can become this player if need be.

Mata can still do damage in and around the box, however, as he’s a skilful guy.

Roboc7

If he is going to abandon the right hand side he needs to get more involved, been anonymous and makes the team lop sided

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I came in to criticize him and as I type they show him telling some anecdote about his father. I can't do this. Hugs.

marktan

Really poor match from him. No pace, shrugged off the ball easily, just offers nothing.

People are criticising Pogba, Mourinho etc for our troubles, but it's our front 3 that's the problem. Having Mata is like being a man down, and then the we have about 10 options for the LW position who've been widely inconsistent all season.

Compare it to all the other teams in the top 5 in the PL, and they have a far, far better front 3 than us (Pedro/Hazard/Willian, Salah/Firmino/Mane, etc)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is so shit we should replace him with someone like Sanchez who would immediately improve us.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
A small fart could blow him over, combine that with the fact he’s slower than an OAP and it’s a killer combo.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Poor game. Was shocked to see him start in the first place

stevoc

I like Mata as a player, liked him at Valencia and Chelsea but he just isn't a winger. Not on the left and sure as fecking shit not on the right.

I am completely baffled what 3 professional football managers in a row see that Mata offers as a right winger that i cannot. Don't get me wrong i know his strengths but very little of what he is good at is conducive with being a good winger for Manchester United.

Small, slow and left footed yeah lets play him on the right wing, watching him plod up and down the right wing for Manchester United is slowly killing my desire to watch football. We have Sanchez can't we just play him there or here's a crazy thought buy a fecking proper out and out right winger.

Walters_19_MuFc

Done well in last few games, but he wasn't involved much tonight.

I get what Jose is trying to do, though.

He very much likes to cut in, with Sanchez going up next to Lukaku, almost becoming a diamond, at times.

Doesn't do enough to effect the game when he drifts in, though.

Would like to see Jose play Sanchez in this role to see how he gets on.

Canagel

Sanchez should've been signed to replace this guy not bench Martial. He's too slow and isn't creative either. If he was creating chances I'd leave him where he is but that isn't the case. He does keep the ball well but only in areas where we can't hurt the opposition. That isn't good enough.

Walters_19_MuFc

I like Mata as a player, liked him at Valencia and Chelsea but he just isn't a winger. Not on the left and sure as fecking shit not on the right.

I am completely baffled what 3 professional football managers in a row see that Mata offers as a right winger that i cannot. Don't get me wrong i know his strengths but very little of what he is good at is conducive with being a good winger for Manchester United.

Small, slow and left footed yeah lets play him on the right wing, watching him plod up and down the right wing for Manchester United is slowly killing my desire to watch football. We have Sanchez can't we just play him there or here's a crazy thought buy a fecking proper out and out right winger.
On paper, he's a winger, but he's anything but in the game.

He spends more time inside the middle of the pitch than by the byline trying to take players on. Look at Eriksen for Spurs. Plays exactly the same role, but does it much better, in my opinion.

Maybe that's to do with Pochettino's team balance and movement, I don't know. All I do know is that the time Mata spends inside, you'd expect him to create more and make more stuff happen, but he just doesn't. Very safe player. Like I said, maybe it's to do with the movement ahead of him, though.

stevoc

He spends more time inside the middle of the pitch than by the byline trying to take players on. Look at Eriksen for Spurs. Plays exactly the same role, but does it much better, in my opinion.

Maybe that's to do with Pochettino's team balance and movement, I don't know. All I do know is that the time Mata spends inside, you'd expect him to create more and make more stuff happen, but he just doesn't. Very safe player. Like I said, maybe it's to do with the movement ahead of him, though.
Yeah thats the problem for me mate he spends most of his time drifting centrally where he's good but often redundant and it leaves us with nothing on the right, no width, no pace on the counter. When he does at times stay wide he's completely pointless, he mostly just cuts in and passes it inside.

Mata playing there i think actually stunts Valencia's attacking game also, if we had someone out there with pace and trickery to keep fullbacks busy Tony would get much more joy on the overlap. As it is quite often Valencia roams forward only to be double marked because Mata has went on another wander.

As a duo they must be a left backs dream.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I really wish Mata had just a little more strength and a bit more pace, he’d be an amazing player. As it stands he’s a bit pointless unless the game develops to play to his strengths, which isn’t often at the moment.

There’s no way he should be our right sided attacker, doesn’t offer enough. Sanchez should be given a crack there, he’s basically what I want Mata to be as a player.

Jaybomb

So we’re back to criticising him then?

Cause we’ve never played woefully when Mata was on the bench... right? :rolleyes:

Dropping Mata is not the answer. Right now... I’m not sure what is. But it’s obvious the players are not good enough.

I’m starting to think the majority of our squad lack the United DNA. It’s something that just can’t be taught. You either have it or you don’t. Harry Kane has it. Gareth Bale has it. Arturo Vidal has it. I feel like we really missed the boat with some of these players. When you look at Rooney, Giggs and Keane... well those three are basically the closest thing to those guys. And yet we’re trying to make the likes of Martial, Herrera and previously Depay, Schneiderlin and Mkhitaryan work. It was obvious those guys weren’t United players and there’s quite a few of them in this squad that I’m thinking fit that bill aswell.

Hell... is Sanchez a United player? Or would he be more suited to a team like Liverpool? Could you see him in a Ferguson side? Or would he be more likely to buy a Gareth Bale? You have to ask yourself that question. Obviously he is a quality player but he does he have that special something that all of the United greats of the past have equipped in their DNA? I’m just not sure.

daizi88

Until we get rid of “nice” weaklings like mata we will never roll with the big boys. Pops up with a goal or assist to stay relevant but i”m still shocked we gave him a new contract.

Ashley R1+O

I think his legs have disappeared so drastically that he is more of a poacher like a Chicharito. Smart mover in the box but almost completely negated outside the box. Still doesn't want to play on the turn and back himself in congestion he'd rather one touch the ball to safety at first opportunity and for someone with roaming license as lengthy as Juans...

Not sure how it can remain serviceable going through to the new recruits next season. Still could be an important off the bench goal scorer though.

FromTheBench

He is a excellent player. In a team that suits. Him.

We wont ever be that team under Jose.

Giggs86

Either play him as a CAM or don't play him at all. This winger stuff must stop. He's a liability on the right.

Kostov

The thing that annoys me the most with Mata, is the amount of times that he makes me think '' why the feck did you do that for''. Stupid fouls, stupid decisions by supposedly one of our ''most intelligent'' players.

ti vu

Either play him as a CAM or don't play him at all. This winger stuff must stop. He's a liability on the right.
If he were all about keeping width (being a winger), we would have been blessed. He drifting infield, yet slower than the pace of the game both defensive and attacking is the problem. Slow us down while expose us at the back with more attacker running at our isolated defense.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Cause we’ve never played woefully when Mata was on the bench... right? :rolleyes:

Dropping Mata is not the answer. Right now... I’m not sure what is. But it’s obvious the players are not good enough.

I’m starting to think the majority of our squad lack the United DNA. It’s something that just can’t be taught. You either have it or you don’t. Harry Kane has it. Gareth Bale has it. Arturo Vidal has it. I feel like we really missed the boat with some of these players. When you look at Rooney, Giggs and Keane... well those three are basically the closest thing to those guys. And yet we’re trying to make the likes of Martial, Herrera and previously Depay, Schneiderlin and Mkhitaryan work. It was obvious those guys weren’t United players and there’s quite a few of them in this squad that I’m thinking fit that bill aswell.

Hell... is Sanchez a United player? Or would he be more suited to a team like Liverpool? Could you see him in a Ferguson side? Or would he be more likely to buy a Gareth Bale? You have to ask yourself that question. Obviously he is a quality player but he does he have that special something that all of the United greats of the past have equipped in their DNA? I’m just not sure.
When you talk of our DNA, you think of fast, fluid, exciting football with wide players that had dribbling skills with pace to burn and had the crowd on the edge of their seats with sheer excitement.

Mata is the one that doesn't have the United DNA to play RW due to his obvious physical short comings on the right which will be exposed time and time again, against decent opposition. I find it strange you list Martial as someone who doesn't have the "United DNA" but on the other hand, you defend Mata...:rolleyes: Tahith Chong can't be promoted quick enough for me...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

You can't answer it because you like him, that's fair enough. Juan is a legend but he's not good enough for the big european games. It's OK against the smaller clubs where we have more possession and keep the ball better, he can use his intelligence to move in the box and create chances.

Against teams where it's even you need a counter attacking threat. He plays walking football and although he tries his hardest it's just not enough, he genuinely defends better than he attacks these days.

Swap him for Willian/Mane/Sterling/Eriksen and we look 1000x better. I don't understand why Jose won't improve the RW position, it's getting near fergie's CM blindspot. So frustating.

Deanho

It seems that Mourinho has, despite so many saying he would sell him off immediately, taken a liking to Mata. With Alexis being one of the most direct wingers in modern football, he's constantly looking forward, trying to dribble past players and play low-percentage, high-reward passes. As such, he loses the ball a lot. Meanwhile, Mata is the exact opposite in terms of possession. He possesses very little pace and more often than not plays the 'safe' option to look after possession and once in a while tries to make a killer ball through. So while one winger is more risky in possession, the other is a lot more 'safe'. What they have in common, and what makes them effective together is that they are the two best players in our attack at close control and linkup (although Lingard has shown good understand with Alexis as well). The detriment is the lack of directness on the right side when Mata plays there due to his unwillingness (and perhaps inability) to dribble or run past players), and so both players are often clogging up the same central areas of the pitch. As none of our fullbacks are ultra proficient crossers (other than Young who plays on his non-dominant side), we have no quality in wide areas and Lukaku is often starved of chances.

Crystal Palace 2:3 Man Utd

freeurmind

weak willed
Top class again from him tonight after coming on. Different level of football intelligence to the other attacking players. Should always start.

haram

Love him. Was fantastic when he came on. When teams sit deep he is amazing. Got in behind a number of times as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.