Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous Coward

Supports
No-one
He's a bench player. He's definitely not good enough to start for a top team.

He's got the Spanish first touch, pass appreciation and movement. But he's lacking the quick Spanish feet, quick turn, ability to dribble past two or three men,. Which generally leads to him surrendering possession of the ball to a team mate instead of actually progressing the team forward.
His best stuff is one or two touch - and close to the goal. He hasn't got the current trending Spanish ability to dwell on the ball for any length of time.

He's like the opposite of Lukaku and Fellaini. They have the physical strength to win an arm wrestle or win a tussle at a corner, but their poor first touch and close control renders it half useless.
Mata, meanwhile, has the touch and close control, but naff all body strength to actually use it in effective areas.

It's a shame.

bdspeedy

I really like Mata and think he has an important place on this team but nearly every time I see him, he reminds me of a VW Beetle. I don't know if it's his look, his languid pace or how he flutters about. Pleasant. Unassuming. Utilitarian. Very anti-nazi, ironically. I would really love to see someone post some footage of him in action with the sound replaced by sounds of a VW bug. Fast. Slow, High gear, low gear, etc,...

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He is kind of an enigma. Does be languid in style and then comes up with an assist or chance.

Foxbatt

He has a very good technique but thats the most of it. He may turn out to be very good in the Spanish League but in the PL, where everything is played so fast he gets overrun. I have seen Mata at full sprint after players who are carrying the ball and they always, every time gets away from him.
He gets tackled too easily and then falls and they get away with the ball. His negatives outweigh his positives in the PL.

TRD

Last match everyone was praising his understanding with Sanchez and now he is the one who have been sacrificed. I think he should have started in place of Lingard.

Fraud

Last match everyone was praising his understanding with Sanchez and now he is the one who have been sacrificed. I think he should have started in place of Lingard.
True. He definitely deserves to be ahead of Lingard. But Jose loves Jesse for some extrange reason.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's going to be a physical game that will probably involve lots of running. Can see why he's not starting.

Kapardin

Lingard is more likely to score than Mata. What is the use of lovely play if he doesn't score much himself? Never expected him to dislodge Lingard, atleast not yet while the latter's purple patch is still ongoing.

gavdim2002

With Mata starting my bet would be a 1-0 or 2-0 lead at the hour mark. Without him, I think we can win 3 or 4, but also lose by 1 or 2. That's how important I do rate Mata's contribution to this team.

laughtersassassin

Lingard is more likely to score than Mata. What is the use of lovely play if he doesn't score much himself? Never expected him to dislodge Lingard, atleast not yet while the latter's purple patch is still ongoing.
I mean our biggest problem in attack is we dont create chances for Lukaku and Mata was the only player who created him a chance the other week so thats a good argument for him playing.

I like lingard too just giving a reasonable response as to why some would prefer mata.

TRD

It's going to be a physical game that will probably involve lots of running. Can see why he's not starting.
I don't think it will be a physical game. Newcastle will keep all players behind ball and we need someone to provide a pass that can open them. Apart from Mata, I don't see anyone with that quality.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wasn't particularly good when he came on. We're better off starting him and taking him off if we have to rather than the other way around.

At least shows flickers of an understanding with Sanchez.

gavdim2002

Should have started the game. Our first 30 min. was the kind of "trail and error" football we do tend to play when Mata is not in the team. If we had control over 90 min. of football (instead of 30 min. we had today) we would have won this game easily. That control, we would have had with Mata in the starting lineup. This was also my point here before the game, just saying (The only thing that this team does not need is more "risk-takers" - we are full of it).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Should start on the right most games since he's the only one who can play there properly and one of the few who has a consistent first touch and passing. Also links up really well with Sanchez. Mourinho won't ever trust him in any physical game though, sadly.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Needs to start games against the weaker sides. Can come off if it's not working. Shouldn't be the other way round

Reddevildans

I'd say this is part his fault but part we have a real lack of movement ahead of him.
Im not just talking about this game but hes been risk averse in passing for over 6 months now. Hes probably our most technically gifted player in the team. He can easily do it. He can play passes through the middle. But hes been choosing the easier pass back or wide to the wing. Something that herrera can be criticised for too.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Didn't Mata start the first few games of the season when United was winning with 4-0 left and right ?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Didn't Mata start the first few games of the season when United was winning with 4-0 left and right ?
Yes but Mourinho doesn't trust him in any game he expects to be physical because physicality is everything in his opinion.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I wish that i can ask jose one question. Only one. It would be; "why juan mata is not playing on no10 position"?

Acole9

Outstanding
I thought he did alright, I would've liked to have seen him start.

settembrini

Been really bad this season but I'd have him in the team right now because it's not as if we have anyone better for the right wing and he's been the player who has linked up best with Sanchez. I think we should try and get those two playing close together (Sanchez #10, Mata on the right) and move Martial back to the left.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
M
Im not just talking about this game but hes been risk averse in passing for over 6 months now. Hes probably our most technically gifted player in the team. He can easily do it. He can play passes through the middle. But hes been choosing the easier pass back or wide to the wing. Something that herrera can be criticised for too.
Maybe because there is nothing on. Perhaps he's been instructed to be less risk averse so we aren't turned over.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He' just too slow for away matches. Can't counter attack, can't dribble an opponent.

Yes he can pass/move well but it's just not enough.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He' just too slow for away matches. Can't counter attack, can't dribble an opponent.

Yes he can pass/move well but it's just not enough.
But how often do we actually counter attack away from home when it's 0-0 ... even with fast players (like yesterday for example)?

The majority of teams sit back against us both home and away.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Came on and always passed backwards as hes been doing for months now. Really poor. He is incredibly risk averse in his passing.
And you've not noticed other players in the team backpassing??

Last edited:

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
He was the best player on the pitch after Sanchez against Huddersfield. We are more creative when he plays and we have rarely used him in his best position. Last season he inspired the Special Juan banner. And he’s not the quickest but has the best brain and isn’t as lazy as half those players who were out there against Newcastle.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In the spirt of everyone wanting a three man midfield and a three man attack, I think Mata is definitely deserving of the spot on the right hand side of the attack.
He works plenty hard enough, has good ball retention, can move into the middle or even deeper into midfield to provide more energy etc.
Plus most importantly his link up with Sanchez and Lukaku is already really good. It's a shame for martial, Rashford and Jesse but they should be waiting for a dip in form for a chance now I think.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
In the spirt of everyone wanting a three man midfield and a three man attack, I think Mata is definitely deserving of the spot on the right hand side of the attack.
He works plenty hard enough, has good ball retention, can move into the middle or even deeper into midfield to provide more energy etc.
Plus most importantly his link up with Sanchez and Lukaku is already really good. It's a shame for martial, Rashford and Jesse but they should be waiting for a dip in form for a chance now I think.
Martial has been our most productive attacking player all season with 11 goals and 10 assists. He should be starting ahead of Mata

Status
Not open for further replies.