5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

vangagal

Should have started over Lingard and Fellaini. He doesnt have pace okay but he offers much more to the team with his passing and technical ability to control the ball. He can make fine pass to Lukaku to free him over his defender.

Web of Bissaka

That moment late on where the attacker went through for his possible hattrick goal and Bailly and Young just stood there watching while Mata ran his heart out to try to get back and put him off - I didn't know whether to laugh or to throw something across the room.
Yup, like what the f are our defenders doing.. Mata is not even a defender. Sheesh.

Surely Mata should be in the starting 11 always from now on, always. Always. We need players who play with their heart.

finneh

There's not a game that we should start without him. However if there ever was a game that he should have been key it was tonight.

Not playing him was a huge mistake, whether it be instead or Fellaini, Lingard, Sanchez, Rashford... Hell anyone apart from De Gea.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Should have started over Lingard and Fellaini. He doesnt have pace okay but he offers much more to the team with his passing and technical ability to control the ball. He can make fine pass to Lukaku to free him over his defender.
And along with that passing and technical ability he pretty much runs like never before as seen in the case where he ran the whole pitch to defend. Don't know, as others said at this point and considering the form of other "creative" players he should start pretty much every game.

Enigma_87

You know who
Agreed. Lingard was pretty poor.

vangagal

And along with that passing and technical ability he pretty much runs like never before as seen in the case where he ran the whole pitch to defend. Don't know, as others said at this point and considering the form of other "creative" players he should start pretty much every game.
The problem with Mata is he just lasting untill 60 mins after runs all over the pitch every match. Thats why he rarely finish the game 90mins. I think Jose use him a bit wrong here. Using Mata to chase the ball all over the pitch like Lingard just will wore him out and doesn't do justive to his playmaking ability. Doesn't surprise me his best game came when Matic and McTominay sit behind him.

Agreed. Lingard was pretty poor.
Mata and Lingard are straightforward polar opposite of a player. This kind of game need more Mata than Lingard. Sevilla was not that fast. All Lingard do was more running and running without the actual outcome of passed to his teammates.

Enigma_87

You know who
Mata and Lingard are straightforward polar opposite of a player. This kind of game need more Mata than Lingard. Sevilla was not that fast. All Lingard do was more running and running without the actual outcome of passed to his teammates.
Didn’t get why we didn’t go with Mata and McTominay instead of Lingard and Fellaini. Especially the latter was pretty useless and suited more physical opposition rather than Sevilla.

The first half we lacked creativity in the middle. Pretty poor showing in midfield.

Jim Beam

The problem with Mata is he just lasting untill 60 mins after runs all over the pitch every match. Thats why he rarely finish the game 90mins. I think Jose use him a bit wrong here. Using Mata to chase the ball all over the pitch like Lingard just will wore him out and doesn't do justive to his playmaking ability. Doesn't surprise me his best game came when Matic and McTominay sit behind him.
And that's all Jose had to do probably. Leave the same lineup as against Liverpool.

vangagal

Didn’t get why we didn’t go with Mata and McTominay instead of Lingard and Fellaini. Especially the latter was pretty useless and suited more physical opposition rather than Sevilla.

The first half we lacked creativity in the middle. Pretty poor showing in midfield.
And that's all Jose had to do probably. Leave the same lineup as against Liverpool.
Jose was scared of prospect N'Zonzi bullying Mata i think. Pretty daft to think about it. Putting Fellaini just to counter N'Zonzi and Banega and the result was nowhere.

Sylar

Another big game where mata isn't started and we struggle

So surprised he didn't start after the performance on Saturday

Jaybomb

Another big game where mata isn't started and we struggle

So surprised he didn't start after the performance on Saturday
I’m not.

It seems like Mourinho can’t see what I see. Or just doesn’t want to see it.

When Mata is on the pitch, we play proper football. For all his flaws... pace, strength, etc... he keeps the ball moving. He holds possession and passes in the tight spaces. Everyone around him becomes a better player when he’s on the pitch.

Every time I see his name on the bench, I know I’m in for a long boring game of football.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Said it for years that he's been the best footballer at the club. Now it's Sánchez but Mata is still a player that should be playing every game. Usually or best football going forward involves him being on the pitch constantly moving around, looking for openings and offering himself up for a pass. We sorely needed that this game. Another positive about Mata is that he seems to make Sánchez better. Sánchez is used to work with Özil, something that does a lot of similar things in Mata, finds space and plays one touch football. I don't think Sánchez has looked good without Mata on the pitch.

On top of all that he does a good job defensively.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I’m not.

It seems like Mourinho can’t see what I see. Or just doesn’t want to see it.

When Mata is on the pitch, we play proper football. For all his flaws... pace, strength, etc... he keeps the ball moving. He holds possession and passes in the tight spaces. Everyone around him becomes a better player when he’s on the pitch.

Every time I see his name on the bench, I know I’m in for a long boring game of football.
I was shocked he started vs Liverpool tbh. Mourinho never trusts Mata in big games. In fact he usually only plays him in games where he thinks we'll dominate possession. Imagine the shit he'd do with David Silva and players of that sort. Mourinho just doesn't know how to handle them.

Frank Grimes

Haven't been his biggest fan tbh( mainly strength/pace issues) but even I knew that he had to start last night. Literally the only attacker who I trust not to give the ball away to the opposition within 2 seconds. I also notice Sanchez looks a bit better when he is on the pitch, maybe something to watch out for.

ti vu

He was one of our best when he came on, but I think people went OTT with "most important, our best/ most creative player" thing. There are other times when our supposed more talented younger players on their top gear look better.

What Mata offered was experience through his football intelligence. For our goal, it's not the first time in game, one of our players were put into good position but failed the delivery, not able to earn a corner. I can remember Rashford at least on 2 occasions instead of first time cross, just try to take on defender then change his mind at last minute and botch the momentum of the play. Lingard, Alexis, Young are similar. Frustrating bunch. Took a touch or two too many. Even when they have time measure a cross, pass still execute poorly. Sometimes just goes with the flow put it first time into the dangerous area would help.

Anyways, our problem is nothing new. We need creative player. We have too many players we need to feed but now down to only Mata with Pogba's poor form. Alexis possessed more creativity (more variety in his play) than Martial as for the experience. However, like I said when he was still Arsenal player, he is still a player feed on supply than the creator, and he has not been hitting top form this season even for Arsenal let alone us when joining in January.

All in all, Mata must play for me till the end of the season though. It's more balanced that way.

Wanderlust_09

It's a pity I had to join this great forum in the worst day of this season..
Jose made a big mistake by dropping Mata and at least he should have brought him on much earlier. Some of the better moves we made were after he came on, the 3-4 minutes before we scored the goal we looked dangerous and Mata was played a key role. But then it was too little too late...
Mata has to start the big games for the rest of the season and he is the only one now capable of linking our attack and midfield together..

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ideally, he should have started. Benching him was a forgivable mistake by Mou, but waiting till Sevilla's first goal to bring him on was a baffling decision. Hell, I would have bought him on after 20 minutes, because we weren't able to string 3 passes together. Sure, he is slow, physically weak and sometimes plays the safe pass instead of that ambitious long ball forward, but what he brings is a lot more- composure, intelligence and he is technically our best player! Pace and strength are necessary but if you go for a side with 11 players having just these qualities, there is no way you'd win any game!

vangagal

Ideally, he should have started. Benching him was a forgivable mistake by Mou, but waiting till Sevilla's first goal to bring him on was a baffling decision. Hell, I would have bought him on after 20 minutes, because we weren't able to string 3 passes together. Sure, he is slow, physically weak and sometimes plays the safe pass instead of that ambitious long ball forward, but what he brings is a lot more- composure, intelligence and he is technically our best player! Pace and strength are necessary but if you go for a side with 11 players having just these qualities, there is no way you'd win any game!
It feels strange. Before his time here, Jose always had one creative player as mainstayed in his team. Deco, Sneidjer, Ozil, Hazard, Lampard(not necessarily fit the bills but you get the idea). Only in United he doesn't have one. Maybe he hope in Sanchez but that doesn't quite working out yet. He always used Mata in games which he tought he can control but when games are 50-50, he will picked Fellaini instead.

ti vu

It feels strange. Before his time here, Jose always had one creative player as mainstayed in his team. Deco, Sneidjer, Ozil, Hazard, Lampard(not necessarily fit the bills but you get the idea). Only in United he doesn't have one. Maybe he hope in Sanchez but that doesn't quite working out yet. He always used Mata in games which he tought he can control but when games are 50-50, he will picked Fellaini instead.
Pogba was supposed to be this player. Pogba has the physicality to be a mainstay in the team while Mata is a squad option. Problem is the main stay is in bad form.

haram

It probably should have been

Lukaku
Rashford Lingard Mata

But of course Sanchez...

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Fact is, we generally look a better team with Mata in it and he is one player who gives his all and doesn't look like he is disinterested...or to coin a too popular phrase, he looks like he wants it. Mata has too much pride in the shirt and respect for the club and for himself to just amble around the pitch as though all he needs to do is be there. Not the biggest or the strongest or the fastest but he has the biggest bloody heart and that should count for something.

Jim Beam

Fact is, we generally look a better team with Mata in it and he is one player who gives his all and doesn't look like he is disinterested...or to coin a too popular phrase, he looks like he wants it. Mata has too much pride in the shirt and respect for the club and for himself to just amble around the pitch as though all he needs to do is be there. Not the biggest or the strongest or the fastest but he has the biggest bloody heart and that should count for something.
His ability to make us ticking aside, that's also a big reason why I was so pissed he didn't start. We have debates about Pogba not suited to play in a midfield 2 but instead should be playing in a very specific role with little defensive duties while everything being built around him to flourish.
And then you have Mata who is a creative player, doesn't have so much pace, but if needed (and that's highly debatable) will play as a right back and ran himself to the ground as seen against Liverpool.

Reward? Bench him next game when he is most needed and we have to break through a tight defence.

Zoo

It was absolutely insane not to start him in both legs.

Oldyella

It probably should have been

Lukaku
Rashford Lingard Mata

But of course Sanchez...
I get why we went for Sanchez, but his signing has been a disaster so far. His own form has been terrible, and it just seems to have unbalanced the whole team.

gavdim2002

This. And the best brain, best work etics, the most creativity, the best first touch and the only genuine attacking understanding (incl. José).

Reactions: Livvie

Golden Nugget

That moment late on where the attacker went through for his possible hattrick goal and Bailly and Young just stood there watching while Mata ran his heart out to try to get back and put him off - I didn't know whether to laugh or to throw something across the room.
This. I saw him kick the post in anger afterwards as well. I loved his effort, but had no idea what the others were doing.

Oldyella

He generally plays the easier games at home though. So that skews it.
Liverpool was probably a tougher game than Sevilla. Guess which one he started, guess which one we won.

Honestly, we are a much better side with him in the team, no matter who we are playing. I would take Sanchez out of the firing line for a few games, give his spot to Mata to play right, let Martial/Rashford play left where they both look more comfortable.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Strange how in all his years at the club no manager has ever tried Mata as part of a central midfield 3 (more than once) or out on the left side so he can cross on his stronger foot

Wonder why throughout his time here he's only ever been subjected to the right wing spot or occasionally as a number 10

gavdim2002

Liverpool was probably a tougher game than Sevilla. Guess which one he started, guess which one we won.

Honestly, we are a much better side with him in the team, no matter who we are playing. I would take Sanchez out of the firing line for a few games, give his spot to Mata to play right, let Martial/Rashford play left where they both look more comfortable.
This.

Nick.

I find it surprising that we have much better stats with him in the team because I really don't see him doing much when he play. Maybe what he offers is more subtle to the team than I appreciated.

I still think he could be upgraded on though.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I find it surprising that we have much better stats with him in the team because I really don't see him doing much when he play. Maybe what he offers is more subtle to the team than I appreciated.

I still think he could be upgraded on though.
Movement, technically brilliant, great passer and the most important of all, which very few of our players seemingly have, intelligence.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Movement, technically brilliant, great passer and the most important of all, which very few of our players seemingly have, intelligence.
Few?
Honestly, apart from him I can't recall any one who can be labelled intelligent. Maybe Lingard, but he doesn't play with his brains pretty often

Man Utd 2:0 Brighton

Devil may care

Looked less than impressed when he was subbed off, don't think he even looked at Mourinho as he crossed the line, can't blame him, he wasn't great but he wasn't as poor as Lingard and Martial in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.