Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Came on and showed Sanchez how to play the role he's been given. Wonderful showing form the lil'Juan.

Member 90887

Rashford?
Rashford is definitly not going to play against Liverpool. Mourinho will not play him in a game of this magnitude when he just came back from injury. plus, Martial will be back next week.

Rossa

Rashford is definitly not going to play against Liverpool. Mourinho will not play him in a game of this magnitude when he just came back from injury. plus, Martial will be back next week.
Just thought that he often handles high press quite well. Normally, as do Martial.

Member 90887

Just thought that he often handles high press quite well. Normally, as do Martial.
He does, he's good with the ball at his feet and he would be a good option if we choose to bypass their press on our defenders with long balls. but it doesn't look like Jose would trust him this soon after coming back. but you never know, nobody predicted that Pogba would be dropped.

Web of Bissaka

Class Mata :drool: Our crucial game changer today, my motm after Mourinho.

His movements in and out of the box, keeping possession upfield, surprising directness today and constant threats are so vital in unsettling Palace's stable defense.

He literally destroy their defensive structure, like a Bandit invading a Palace made of Crystal.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The curious case of Juan Mata;

When he plays he's often the reason for a break down in our counter attacking (his first instinct is often to bring it back inside even when he receives it on the half turn)

When he doesn't play and comes on shows what we've been lacking (someone who can pass the ball)

Id really like us to try him as one of the 3 central midfielders in a 4-3-3

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Said the game needed Mata when Shaw was seen stripping off and thankfully came on with him. Made a massive difference. Mainly being he could actually connect a pass and livened up our attack a bit.

Djemba-Djemba

Has an odd habit of not being a fecking idiot and giving the ball away every time he has it. Really made him stand out tonight.

I think he's clearly declined a bit this year, he's no where near the goal threat he used to be for example.

But he's still got that intelligence and maturity on the pitch that nobody else seems to have. He changed the game when he came on.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Changed the game. I always said I wish this little genius had the physical attributes of someone like Pogba :( Has to start next game

JoaquinJoaquin

Think this might be the best role for him going forward, being the difference maker off the bench to break defences down. When he starts he doesn't influence games as much IMHO.

Web of Bissaka

Strangely, he didn't do his trademark excessive back passes last night. :D Well played.

@JoaquinJoaquin Agree, when starting he can be so frustrating. Having him at the bench give us several back up plans. Useful squad player to have and am so glad he doesn't mind not being the perma starter.

Oldyella

Mourinho needs to find a way to fit him into the side. We look a different prospect when he plays.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I want to see Mata at least tested in a creative role as a part of the midfield 3. Like an Iniesta role. He’s arguably our most intelligent player, and wouldn’t have to worry about getting overrun in midfield as he’d be playing alongside Matic and Pogba.

But we really do lack that creative spark in midfield, and I think a brainy centre mid should be a priority in the summer.

Craig Ward

I really like Mata, he's a clever intelligent football player who on his goal can produce some magic.

The one downside I see for Mata, and this has been the case for some time is where does he play?

He's surely best as a #10, a link player between midfield and attack. He has rarely featured as our #10 however and is often played wide right.

Currently we are going 4-3-3. While he was impressive against palace, I cant see a starting spot for him. I don't think Jose would consider him as a midfield 3, due to Jose's insistence on defensive duties and being a worker (neither Mata's strong points). Wide left is Sanchez and we have wide right, which he could do, but do we get the best out of him here? I'd say no, and with Martial/Lingard in decent form I think Jose will keep Mata for the bench as an impact option.

When the game is stretched, he's perfect to come on and pick passes out. He brings some composure in the final third, which we often lack.

I'd opt to start him against Liverpool, but I don't think Jose will

Roberto420

Changed the game. I always said I wish this little genius had the physical attributes of someone like Pogba :( Has to start next game
Yeah if Mata had Pogba's physical attributes he'd easily win a ballon d'or or 2.

Think he has earned his spot in the starting line up this week with his performance off the bench vs palace.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I really like Mata, he's a clever intelligent football player who on his goal can produce some magic.

The one downside I see for Mata, and this has been the case for some time is where does he play?

He's surely best as a #10, a link player between midfield and attack. He has rarely featured as our #10 however and is often played wide right.

Currently we are going 4-3-3. While he was impressive against palace, I cant see a starting spot for him. I don't think Jose would consider him as a midfield 3, due to Jose's insistence on defensive duties and being a worker (neither Mata's strong points). Wide left is Sanchez and we have wide right, which he could do, but do we get the best out of him here? I'd say no, and with Martial/Lingard in decent form I think Jose will keep Mata for the bench as an impact option.

When the game is stretched, he's perfect to come on and pick passes out. He brings some composure in the final third, which we often lack.

I'd opt to start him against Liverpool, but I don't think Jose will

I wish he was a rigid #10 that didn't float around and get too deep. Players like Pogba and Rooney have the strength and physicality to do that but Mata should just stay in and around the attacking third.

Jaybomb

We should play him as a CM.

City are doing with Silva. Mata has a lot of similar qualities. He rarely ever gets dispossessed and he can tread through balls to the middle and switch out to the flanks. He’s ready for this change.

Matic
Lingard Mata Pogba Sanchez
Lukaku

mav_9me

City are doing with Silva. Mata has a lot of similar qualities. He rarely ever gets dispossessed and he can tread through balls to the middle and switch out to the flanks. He’s ready for this change.

Matic
Lukaku
He cannot stand any type of pressing in the middle very much unlike Silva. Silva is so much harder to dispossess, he is actually slightly stronger, and with his small turns and little acceleration always manages to either get away or keep the ball. Mata has other qualities but no where near the same ability and so cannot play CM.

Roboc7

He cannot stand any type of pressing in the middle very much unlike Silva. Silva is so much harder to dispossess, he is actually slightly stronger, and with his small turns and little acceleration always manages to either get away or keep the ball. Mata has other qualities but no where near the same ability and so cannot play CM.
Yeah Silva is in completely different class to Mata and has a lot more to his game. Playing on the right suits Mata, he has spent most of his career playing there for that reason.

Canagel

Matic
Lukaku
He's too weak for it unfortunately. It's a nice idea but you need someone stronger like Isco or Silva in there.

Minimalist

Thought he was good in the first half and was fecking devastated his missed the overhead kick.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Did well. Probably should've taken that on his chest and finished normally, but can't blame him for trying to recreate Juanfield :devil:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Bet he thought of Juanfield. Thought he was brilliant both offensively and defensively. Should have scored.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Did well. Hard working and disciplined performance from the supposed luxury player.

Should have taken a touch for that chance but was still unlucky the sexy finish didn't work.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Good today, plenty of intelligent movement and unlucky not to score that overhead kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.