Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Not sure why so many react so badly to Mata potentially signing an extension.

it's not all that complicated, if we lose Mata it'll force us to bring another player in, it'll be a long season with plenty of matches and we need players. It's not like it means that he'll be the first player on the team sheet, but a good player to have available as a backup. The likes of Gomes etc will still get plenty of chances to show that they are good enough
You don't keep deadwood. It's that simple. Doing that gives the message that players can get away with being inconsistent and shit for most games.

I'd rather see us giving space to Gomes, James and co ie players who have the potential and the hunger to succeed.

wolvored

This like the Jones and Young contracts is what throws doubts in my mind with Ole's methods and ideas. He was all for shifting all the deadwood, but then rewards some with new contracts. Lets hope Mata gets a better offer elsewhere.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This like the Jones and Young contracts is what throws doubts in my mind with Ole's methods and ideas. He was all for shifting all the deadwood, but then rewards some with new contracts. Lets hope Mata gets a better offer elsewhere.
In fairness, he can’t clear out the squad in one summer. Has to pick and choose his battles and look at this over multiple windows. He has 4 shite center backs (rojo, Bailly, Jones, Smalling) and one decent one (Lindelof). He probably has to bring one or two bodies in at the back before he can move them on. I don’t have a problem with Mata as a squad player, on a heavily performance related contract. He’s a consummate professional after all. But I think we’ll all have an aneurism if the likes of Mike, Jones and Juanito are regular starters next season.

It’s also worth remembering, and probably not a popular opinion, but Smalling had a season under LVG where he was one of the best CBs in the league, and in the first half of Jose’s second season people were saying Jones was playing as the best CB in the league. Ole may (and I have nothing to back this up) that there is a lot more to come from some of these players with proper fitness and a proper pre season under their belt.

Personally I have reached the point where I’ve written Jones off. But.....for a long time I believed that he really could be an absolutely top drawer centre half. He has all the attributes - he really does - but injuries have completely destroyed his career. If he could stay fit for an entire season (never gonna happen), he’d be an absolute warrior and leader from the back.

My hopes now are pinned on getting one of De Ligt or Koulibaly to pair with Lindelof, with Tuanzebe pushing hard for a first team place.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There is a point when people need to realise what they are talking about especially regarding to Mata’s situation.

It’s huge problem giving him a new contract even as a squad player. If player like Gomes & Greenwood are to be called as players who are not ready to be our regular players, why can’t we let them be the squad players instead of giving to 31 yo player with no more to offer like 3 league goals & 2 assists. Gomes & Greenwood won’t do any worse than that if they given enough playing time.

It’s simple.

• Give him new contract as a squad player means players like Greenwood & Gomes won’t get their chances just like last season.
  • Give him new contract as first XI player is mad because he is not good enough
  • Nothing to lose from getting rid a 31 yo player who only scored 3 league goals & 2 assists

Last edited:

shahzy

Confident this is THE worst run club in world football. Not just amongst the big clubs but literally everyone. feck structure, aren't these wankers on the board sick of being mediocre? Start from scratch rip up the plan and start again ffs

MattyB1986

We're probably trying to tie Mata down to a new contract extension to try and persuade de Gea in staying. Mata, de Gea, Herrera seemed to be best mates.

sweetmgd

We're probably trying to tie Mata down to a new contract extension to try and persuade de Gea in staying. Mata, de Gea, Herrera seemed to be best mates.
Every 2 years De Gea are rumoured to leave Man Utd (LVG's first season, Jose Mourinho's first season and now Ole), so there is nothing to do with Mata and Herrera, just money issue.

UncleBob

You don't keep deadwood. It's that simple. Doing that gives the message that players can get away with being inconsistent and shit for most games.

I'd rather see us giving space to Gomes, James and co ie players who have the potential and the hunger to succeed.
And you don't trim down your squad to absolutely feck all just for the sake of doing it either.

There's no reason youngsters won't be given a chance next season.

devilish

And you don't trim down your squad to absolutely feck all just for the sake of doing it either.

There's no reason youngsters won't be given a chance next season.
If Mata leaves then we'll have

LW: Martial, Sanchez, Gomes
RW: Lingard, James, Chong

That's 4 internationals + two amazing kids

James and Sanchez can play on both flanks and Rashford can play on the flanks as well.

If Sanchez leave then we'll be freeing a big chunk of our salary budget. In that case Id expect the club to bring in at least 1 winger. Jadon might be out of reach at this point in time but someone like Fraser is quite gettable. The latter seems to be as nice as Mata is but unlike Mata he's still useful as a player.

If we keep Mata around then he'll be the one playing. You don't keep an experienced player on the bench while others on lower salaries do his job. We should have learnt that lesson with Sanchez.

UncleBob

If Mata leaves then we'll have

LW: Martial, Sanchez, Gomes
RW: Lingard, James, Chong

That's 4 internationals + two amazing kids

James and Sanchez can play on both flanks and Rashford can play on the flanks as well.

If Sanchez leave then we'll be freeing a big chunk of our salary budget. In that case Id expect the club to bring in at least 1 winger. Jadon might be out of reach at this point in time but someone like Fraser is quite gettable. The latter seems to be as nice as Mata is but unlike Mata he's still useful as a player.

If we keep Mata around then he'll be the one playing. You don't keep an experienced player on the bench while others on lower salaries do his job. We should have learnt that lesson with Sanchez.
I don't really see what the fuzz and all the moaning is all about. Giving Mata an extension doesn't mean he'll be the one playing, we just keep an experienced player that can play in two different positions, where we make sure we have the number of players we want for next season without having to bring in an extra player. Chong and Gomes are anything but proven, calling them amazing is stretching things just a bit far, but there's no reason we can't give them plenty of chances next season given the amount of matches we'll have to play. Sanchez is bobbins, if he's not gone at the end of the summer it's because we can't get anyone to pay his wages, half the forum wants to boot Martial and Lingard out of the club. Factor in injuries.

If the long term plan is to attempt to bring in Sancho next summer, there's little reason to bring in someone like Fraser just because people would prefer to see Mata leave this summer instead of next.

devilish

I don't really see what the fuzz and all the moaning is all about. Giving Mata an extension doesn't mean he'll be the one playing, we just keep an experienced player that can play in two different positions, where we make sure we have the number of players we want for next season without having to bring in an extra player. Chong and Gomes are anything but proven, calling them amazing is stretching things just a bit far, but there's no reason we can't give them plenty of chances next season given the amount of matches we'll have to play. Sanchez is bobbins, if he's not gone at the end of the summer it's because we can't get anyone to pay his wages, half the forum wants to boot Martial and Lingard out of the club. Factor in injuries.

If the long term plan is to attempt to bring in Sancho next summer, there's little reason to bring in someone like Fraser just because people would prefer to see Mata leave this summer instead of next.
I've already explained the reason why.

Also take a look at that list. We've got a first teamer (Martial, Lingard), a cover/competitor (James and Sanchez) and 2 promising kids (Chong and Gomes). Even under such scenario we're well covered on both flanks. Now you can argue that Lingard is not good enough or we need to replace Sanchez. However you don't replace deadwood by retaining other deadwood. Doing so would mean having yet another Sanchez situation were you've got a useless player on the bench whose earning more salary then the ones playing football. After what happened with Sanchez we should try to avoid that.

Also you do notice that Fraser plays on the left flank while Sancho plays on the right?

Last edited:

UncleBob

Also take a look at that list. We've got a first teamer (Martial, Lingard), a cover/competitor (James and Sanchez) and 2 promising kids (Chong and Gomes). Even under such scenario we're well covered on both flanks. Now you can argue that Lingard is not good enough or we need to replace Sanchez. However you don't replace deadwood by retaining other deadwood.

Also you do notice that Fraser plays on the left flank while Sancho plays on the right?
And I've already explained why as well, different opinions and all of that.

There's no problem retaining utility players for a short period of time, when the alternative is having to bring someone in just for the sake of making up numbers, see Ashley Young. Hopefully we have a long term plan where we've looked at the areas we need to improve instantly and what areas can wait until next summer, I can only hope that such a plan doesn't involve having to buy temp solutions that aren't a part of the long term plan and that'll be more difficult to get rid of.

Half our squad already plays on the left flank.

devilish

And I've already explained why as well, different opinions and all of that.

There's no problem retaining utility players for a short period of time, when the alternative is having to bring someone in just for the sake of making up numbers, see Ashley Young. Hopefully we have a long term plan where we've looked at the areas we need to improve instantly and what areas can wait until next summer, I can only hope that such a plan doesn't involve having to buy temp solutions that aren't a part of the long term plan and that'll be more difficult to get rid of.

Half our squad already plays on the left flank.
A utility player must be useful. He's not.

Also note that Mata is not a right winger. He's been played there because, well, he's too shit to play elsewhere.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

He has played in the middle plenty of times here and never did enough to warrant being first choice. He just isn't particularly effective. Very slow end easily pushed around, and his good qualities aren't good enough to make up for that.

A utility player must be useful. He's not.

Also note that Mata is not a right winger. He's been played there because, well, he's too shit to play elsewhere.
Of course he’s useful, he scores goals. There aren’t many players in the squad that actually have a track record of scoring for the club. Looking past Lukuku (difficult due to his circumstance), Martial, Rashford and Pogba - who contributes goals?

Everyone knows what his weaknesses are, and he’s not been played in his best position at Utd, but he chips in. We can’t solve all of our issues in one summer, and Mata can make a good contribution as a squad player next season.

devilish

Of course he’s useful, he scores goals. There aren’t many players in the squad that actually have a track record of scoring for the club. Looking past Lukuku (difficult due to his circumstance), Martial, Rashford and Pogba - who contributes goals?

Everyone knows what his weaknesses are, and he’s not been played in his best position at Utd, but he chips in. We can’t solve all of our issues in one summer, and Mata can make a good contribution as a squad player next season.
He really isn't. He's slow, he's not very effective and he's physically weak

arnie_ni

In fairness, he can’t clear out the squad in one summer. Has to pick and choose his battles and look at this over multiple windows. He has 4 shite center backs (rojo, Bailly, Jones, Smalling) and one decent one (Lindelof). He probably has to bring one or two bodies in at the back before he can move them on. I don’t have a problem with Mata as a squad player, on a heavily performance related contract. He’s a consummate professional after all. But I think we’ll all have an aneurism if the likes of Mike, Jones and Juanito are regular starters next season.

It’s also worth remembering, and probably not a popular opinion, but Smalling had a season under LVG where he was one of the best CBs in the league, and in the first half of Jose’s second season people were saying Jones was playing as the best CB in the league. Ole may (and I have nothing to back this up) that there is a lot more to come from some of these players with proper fitness and a proper pre season under their belt.

Personally I have reached the point where I’ve written Jones off. But.....for a long time I believed that he really could be an absolutely top drawer centre half. He has all the attributes - he really does - but injuries have completely destroyed his career. If he could stay fit for an entire season (never gonna happen), he’d be an absolute warrior and leader from the back.

My hopes now are pinned on getting one of De Ligt or Koulibaly to pair with Lindelof, with Tuanzebe pushing hard for a first team place.
You can shift them all.

Valencia, young, darmian, rojo, jones, bailly, herrera, mata, snachez, lukaku. 10 out, could easily get 100 mil of you get 60ish for lukaku.

Buy Awb, de ligt, a cheap lb as cover for shaw, maybe a sessengon (sp) as an attacking alternative, sign rabiot on a free, buy a replacement for matic, already signed james and buy sancho probably costing 300mil total.

Net spend 200. Thats easily doable.

It leaves you with a squad looking like:

3 keepers lead by de gea

Awb dalot

De ligt lindeloff smalling and tuanzabe

Shaw sessengon

New signing, matic mctominay, garner

Pogba, rabiot, fred, Pereira

Sancho, james, martial, rashford, Greenwood, Chong, gomes

Now obviously sancho and de ligt will be the biggest question marks but swap them out for whoever else and thats a massive imprivement for an amount of money that should be available to us.

Id imagine selling 10, including lukaku and sanchez would also cut the wages

sp_107

Also take a look at that list. We've got a first teamer (Martial, Lingard), a cover/competitor (James and Sanchez) and 2 promising kids (Chong and Gomes). Even under such scenario we're well covered on both flanks. Now you can argue that Lingard is not good enough or we need to replace Sanchez. However you don't replace deadwood by retaining other deadwood. Doing so would mean having yet another Sanchez situation were you've got a useless player on the bench whose earning more salary then the ones playing football. After what happened with Sanchez we should try to avoid that.

Lingard as a starter ? God how low our expectation have fallen in last few years

We can't find too many mane's and sane's but sure we can find many better than Lingard

Needham

This has to be the most uninteresting contract saga ever.
It's like people avidly paying an active interest in something they are totally indifferent about.
Sorry, couldn't think of an actual simile.

devilish

Lingard as a starter ? God how low our expectation have fallen in last few years

We can't find too many mane's and sane's but sure we can find many better than Lingard
I don't like it either but we won't sort that problem by retaining Mata. It actually makes things worse as money that can be spent on new players would end up being spent on keeping him

Rajma

We need to get rid of the deadwood not reward it with extensions, what exactly has Mata done in the last two seasons to deserve renewal? Yes, that’s right feck all. Get rid and have Gomes or Greenwood to pick his minutes.

sweetmgd

What make you think he will be a good squad player next season? His old reputation?

Man Utd played 25 games under Ole, Mata only provided 2 goals and 0 assists (1 vs Reading at January and 1 vs Chelsea at April, which is three months later), 11 games not starting for any mins, 10 games for starting line, but within those 10 games, 4 games being substituted before 65 mins. The only good games that he played under Ole was vs Reading, vs Fulham and vs Chelsea first half, so basically he contributed nothing to the team for 22.5 games out of 25. Is it what you called a good squad player?

The only contribution that Mata can provide now is just to retain sufficient number of first team players, which can be easily replaced by our potential youngsters. That's it. People always say he is experienced and professional player. Look at the past few seasons, did it work to our dressing room and youngsters? Hell no. Compared to Ibrahimovic, that is what we called a true leader.

Last edited:

flappyjay

Especially deadwood on 140k a week

Oldyella

Especially deadwood on 140k a week
Especially when he's at the end of his contract. Ideal time to move him on. Some of our other deadwood, we just won't move as people don't want them/don't want to pay them what we do.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He should have been gone at least 3 years ago. Offers next to nothing on the pitch. The only reason to keep him is for his attitude and being a nice guy around the squad which isn't worth £100k+ a week.

wolvored

I disagree with Mata. He contributes very little to our play. He scored 3 goals in 22 games. We have James who could probably equal that at least for less than half the salary. Hes 31 so is only going to decline more. Unless its to appease De Gea and get him to sign a new contract, he should be moved on.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

3 league goals 2 assists, 1 goal in FA 1 goal in CL. If that’s what you call useful & score goals then that’s what I call crazy. Get rid him & having Gomes & Greenwood over him as squad option won’t hurt if that’s the output we will get from Mata.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
People have well and truly accepted mediocrity here. They talk about how we should be ruthless and then come out defending underperformers saying that he CAN be useful and stuff.

Kolarov, Zabaleta, Clichy could have been useful for Pep but he wanted quality. Moving the deadwood is a major part of a rebuild

RedDevil@84

People have well and truly accepted mediocrity here. They talk about how we should be ruthless and then come out defending underperformers saying that he CAN be useful and stuff.
People are forced to look for the silver lining. The club has made a habit of awarding under-performers and crocks with new contracts. In a summer where Smalling, Jones and Young are extending, Mata getting extended should not be really shocking.

sweetmgd

Don't be kidding me. Martial, Rashford, Pogba, Lukaku, even Lingard, they score more goals than Mata for the past 2 seasons. Mata is the attackers in our team with the less contribution after Sanchez.

People always say he is not in the best position, but when he played no.10, he always contribute nothing, for exmaple vs West Ham, vs Watford, he was subtittuted by Ole at 55mins and 63mins respectively.

A player cannot play winger, struggle at no.10 most of the time and cannot play for the full matches, not mentioning our main formation 433 cannot always provide a no.10 position, so what's point to renew his contract? Because he is a nice guy and can write a nice blog to satisfy fans?

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
For those of you who think that we have offered Mata a huge deal and that we're the only club stupid enough to keep him...

Why do you think he hasn't signed a contract yet/

Red00012

You can shift them all.

Valencia, young, darmian, rojo, jones, bailly, herrera, mata, snachez, lukaku. 10 out, could easily get 100 mil of you get 60ish for lukaku.

Buy Awb, de ligt, a cheap lb as cover for shaw, maybe a sessengon (sp) as an attacking alternative, sign rabiot on a free, buy a replacement for matic, already signed james and buy sancho probably costing 300mil total.

Net spend 200. Thats easily doable.

It leaves you with a squad looking like:

3 keepers lead by de gea

Awb dalot

De ligt lindeloff smalling and tuanzabe

Shaw sessengon

New signing, matic mctominay, garner

Pogba, rabiot, fred, Pereira

Sancho, james, martial, rashford, Greenwood, Chong, gomes

Now obviously sancho and de ligt will be the biggest question marks but swap them out for whoever else and thats a massive imprivement for an amount of money that should be available to us.

Id imagine selling 10, including lukaku and sanchez would also cut the wages
You’re far too optimistic there.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
For those of you who think that we have offered Mata a huge deal and that we're the only club stupid enough to keep him...

Why do you think he hasn't signed a contract yet/
He would be getting a bit of a pay rise, but I would imagine the stumbling block is how long a contract he wants. Really it should be a year as any longer than that and we have a rapidly declining player on our hands. Also amount of playing time he will get, he needs to play and just not sure a lot of playing time will benefit the team.

Don't be kidding me. Martial, Rashford, Pogba, Lukaku, even Lingard, they score more goals than Mata for the past 2 seasons. Mata is the attackers in our team with the less contribution after Sanchez.

People always say he is not in the best position, but when he played no.10, he always contribute nothing, for exmaple vs West Ham, vs Watford, he was subtittuted by Ole at 55mins and 63mins respectively.

A player cannot play winger, struggle at no.10 most of the time and cannot play for the full matches, not mentioning our main formation 433 cannot always provide a no.10 position, so what's point to renew his contract? Because he is a nice guy and can write a nice blog to satisfy fans?
I named all those players bar Lingard in my post. Read it again.

Unfortunately the reality is that we cannot improve on all the players we need to in one summer, which would probably mean getting rid of Rojo, Darmian, Bailly, Jones, Young, Matic, Sanchez, Mata, Lukuku, Valencia and Herrera (obv the last 2 have already gone).

Mata on a 12 month deal with a year option would make sense.

We are not going to shift out 10 first team players, and buy 6,7,8,9 replacements this summer. There isint the money to do so.

So let’s be realistic, re-signing Mata allows us to keep a squad player at a low cost and therefore we can spend more money on the areas that need to be urgently addressed.

sweetmgd

I named all those players bar Lingard in my post. Read it again.

Unfortunately the reality is that we cannot improve on all the players we need to in one summer, which would probably mean getting rid of Rojo, Darmian, Bailly, Jones, Young, Matic, Sanchez, Mata, Lukuku, Valencia and Herrera (obv the last 2 have already gone).

Mata on a 12 month deal with a year option would make sense.

We are not going to shift out 10 first team players, and buy 6,7,8,9 replacements this summer. There isint the money to do so.

So let’s be realistic, re-signing Mata allows us to keep a squad player at a low cost and therefore we can spend more money on the areas that need to be urgently addressed.
You asked did those names contribute goals, and said Mata is useful and score goals (yeah really that useful, this season Mata scored a goal in every 2-3 months), that's why i correct you those names u mentioned including the poor Lingard scored more goals than Mata.

Also u say we cannot shift out 10 first team players within a season. However if u think deeply, those are just number only. Did they really contribute to the team this season? Rojo played 5 games, Valencia played 6 games, Darmian played 6 games, including Sanchez, who only score 1 goal in Premier League. So the "true" shift out are only 6-7 players - Lukaku, Mata, Matic, Herrera, Bailly, Jones, Young, which is very reasonable if we want to rebuild our team. Don't remember we have Greenwood, Chong, A. Gomes, Tuanzebe waiting to promote, with 4-5 players buying, i don't really think that is unrealistic.

Keeping so many squad players without any starting line's quality is meaningless. If you really think we should keep a cheaper player as squad player, Lingard will be the one, our academy which is free (Mata was our record signing at that moment), younger, cheaper in salary, and of course a England player. If we buy a more RW or a forward,

Forward : Rashford ; Martial ; Greenwood
Left wing : Martial ; R. James ; Chong
Right wing : New RW ; Lingard

Forward : Rashford ; New Forward
Left wing : Martial ; R. James ; Chong
Right Wing : Greenwood ; Lingard

With our main formation 433, we don't even have a place for Mata as number 10, which not guarante he can really play well at that position, look at the match vs West Ham, vs Watford, even played him at no.10, he played badly and be subtitued early.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

You’re far too optimistic there.
Its just an example. Cant bring in good players if we dont ship the crap out. Id even tske 3 or 4 signings this year but still ship the crap out and replace them with youth.

Just get them out the door

BlahRules

Mata situation reminds me of Fellaini. We offered him a contract but he hasn’t signed while he reviews other offer, if they’re not as good as the offer he is offered from the other teams then he will stay.

TrueRed79

Glazernomics. Cheaper to renew Mata than buy a new player. Same reason that Young, Jones and Smalling got new deals. Fecking embarrassing club.